I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis

Time will tell, a great rookie season, 2 MCL injurys and and all time season. A few of those all time season's and i'd put him above Lewis. Mayo will galzanize this defense for years to come, he may not have the swagger or B S of Lewis but he'll be our Lewis. The extension is awesome, best BB move in a while!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis

maybe Ray Lewis now

but as much as I question Ray Lewis' off-field transgressions, comparing Mayo to Ray Lewis in his prime is absurd

Come back 50 forced fumbles and 20 interceptions from now and we'll talk.  The only linebackers who should be in a Ray Lewis conversation are Jon Beason of the Panthers and Patrick Willis of the 49ers.  That's it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In Response to Re: I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis:
    maybe Ray Lewis now but as much as I question Ray Lewis' off-field transgressions, comparing Mayo to Ray Lewis in his prime is absurd Come back 50 forced fumbles and 20 interceptions from now and we'll talk.  The only linebackers who should be in a Ray Lewis conversation are Jon Beason of the Panthers and Patrick Willis of the 49ers.  That's it
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Yeah i should have said will be as good really if he strings off a few healthy seasons i'd easily say he'll be as good as Lewis!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis : Yeah i should have said will be as good really if he strings off a few healthy seasons i'd easily say he'll be as good as Lewis!!
    Posted by danemcmenamin

i couldn't disagree more.  Mayo had his first interception a couple weeks ago.  three years into his career, his first turnover.  no forced fumbles.  no sacks.  2 interceptions.  nope.  might be a leader, but not a playmaker at all.  not havin it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from orangecrush28. Show orangecrush28's posts

Quite possibly one of the dumbest statements Ive ever heard. Homerism to a new level

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I don't want to offend the guy, but yea it's a bit homeristic

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Ray Lewis has 18 forced fumbles in his whole career , 2 in the first 4 years of his career, 10.5 more sacks than mayo in his first 4 years... you ever watched the patriots do MLBs get sacks often? 5 more interceptions, that's fair enough, good ball skills! Just incase you guys decide to come back on the sack front Bruschi has 5.5 and he was the best PAC-10 DE ever at the time

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Tackle count first 4 years Mayo: 474 (so far)
    Tackle count first 4 years Lewis: 578

Lewis didn't get an injury worth commenting on until 2005 9 years into his career!! 
    Mayo has 2 seasons which are ruined by knee injuries. 90 tackles 2 MCL's are easily worth that and a few of the turnover plays!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I think you're crazy.... but a true Pats fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Mark this thread man, i beg you to, if Mayo ever gets lucky and gets healthy for 3-4 seasons in a row...Magic will happen!! All you guys got sucked into the pre game hype and preaching a long time ago

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Mark this thread man, i beg you to, if Mayo ever gets lucky and gets healthy for 3-4 seasons in a row...Magic will happen!! All you guys got sucked into the pre game hype and preaching a long time ago
    Posted by danemcmenamin

Lewis makes big time plays... I think Mayo has made a few, but Lewis changes games.  I'd love for Mayo to do the same. 

I mean the dude was a superbowl MVP.  Mayo's got a long ways to go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis:
    Time will tell, a great rookie season, 2 MCL injurys and and all time season. A few of those all time season's and i'd put him above Lewis. Mayo will galzanize this defense for years to come, he may not have the swagger or B S of Lewis but he'll be our Lewis. The extension is awesome, best BB move in a while!!
    Posted by danemcmenamin

You must be kidding. Ray Lewis is an all time great and Mayo is one of the most over rated (by fans on here) players on one of the all time worst defenses of all time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In Response to Re: I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis : Lewis makes big time plays... I think Mayo has made a few, but Lewis changes games.  I'd love for Mayo to do the same.  I mean the dude was a superbowl MVP.  Mayo's got a long ways to go.
    Posted by Getzo

Who else you guna give that superbowl MVP to first of all? Second of all the splash plays are a bonus of being a leader of the most aggresive D in football for years do you not think?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Your insane.. you talking about Ray Lewis your cousin maybe?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis : Who else you guna give that superbowl MVP to first of all? Second of all the splash plays are a bonus of being a leader of the most aggresive D in football for years do you not think?
    Posted by danemcmenamin

Well..... yea, which Mayo has not done, right?

C'mon man..  Lewis is one of the best LB's of all time if not the best.  Taylor.... then Lewis?  Mayo has a long way to go.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I think this guy is kidding; this is called a troll.

This kind of reminds me of the poster who had as an avatar a picture of himself decorated with military medals (or so he says) and said NY is on a 300 yr drought because they never won a sports title legitimately.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Nah man not a troll not at all, definetly a homer though! It's silly to think i'd come to the forum to convince you one of the patriots is great if i was a troll. I just want you to mark these words go for it if he ever gets healthy for an extended period of time, i mean come on 175 tackles last year. Remember as well between the 20's how often does this defense take risks....rarely if ever! Also Lewis has a Tebow effect which i hate, i hat his pre game speeches, they wouldn't rile me up anymore, I doubt that's what makes Suggs or that D great after all these years and yet it's said that it's what makes it great. Lewis has been overblown for about 5 years he's been good and living off reputation. Look anyway i'm going with my view that Lewis is great in the Baltimore D, I think Mayo would just be as good in that D and he's not far behind in what is a quite conservative D between the 20's

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I gotta love your enthusiasm but I must say Lewis is an all time great, as much as I like Mayo I gotta agree with the others about this one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Nah man not a troll not at all, definetly a homer though! It's silly to think i'd come to the forum to convince you one of the patriots is great if i was a troll. I just want you to mark these words go for it if he ever gets healthy for an extended period of time, i mean come on 175 tackles last year. Remember as well between the 20's how often does this defense take risks....rarely if ever! Also Lewis has a Tebow effect which i hate, i hat his pre game speeches, they wouldn't rile me up anymore, I doubt that's what makes Suggs or that D great after all these years and yet it's said that it's what makes it great. Lewis has been overblown for about 5 years he's been good and living off reputation. Look anyway i'm going with my view that Lewis is great in the Baltimore D, I think Mayo would just be as good in that D and he's not far behind in what is a quite conservative D between the 20's
    Posted by danemcmenamin

I've got to like your enthusiasm. Lewis is in his late 30s, has naturally lost a few steps, doesn't seem quite as durable (which was always one of his strong suits); but he's still pretty good, and I doubt anybody even now would enjoy getting hit by him.

I may not be a fan of his off the field activities (see Roethlisberger, others), but IMO he's one of the greatest LBers ever.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

Ray Lewis may be the greatest middle linebacker in the history of professional football. If you think his repuation is built on pre-game speeches and hype you truly know nothing about football. How about waiting to see if Mayo can become THE dominating defensive force in the NFL for ONE season, let alone a DECADE, before discussing him in the same sentence as Lewis. Mayo is a nice young player and does a good job tackling against the run, but he isn't even currently the best player at his position (that's Patrick Willis), let alone the best defensive player in the NFL. True he might be better than the 36 year old Lewis NOW (and if he is it isn't by much), but keep in mind he's had as many serious injuries as career interceptions - 2 (Lewis has 31). A ten time pro bowler and first team all pro selection 7 times, Lewis has two defensive player of the year awards and a super bowl mvp. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Part of what makes Lewis great is that he make the players around him great IMO. They've had four defensive coordinators in BAL. He made a genius out of Marv Lewis, then Mike Nolan then Rex Ryan. Guys have come and gone but that defense is still great and will be great as long as Lewis is there. One of the best of all time IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Players on the opposing team HAVE to know where Ray Lewis is on the field... You watch out for him.  You have to account for him.  Often times, you will change aspects of your play-calling and play direction and play execution because of Him.

While at the same time-

I can finishing watching The Patriots play, only to wonder to myself later on, whether or not Jerod Mayo was actually on the field for that game...

THIS being said, I gotta add that Resigning Jerod Mayo exactly at this point in time, was a brilliant move overall.  You'd have to wager an educated bet, by guessing that Mayo's 5 year extension was a very team cap-friendly signing.  His season has been decent...but nothing much more.  He was carried off the field after he hurt his leg upon getting that final Int.  So you KNOW his injury & greater durability concerns played a present even just partial topic within the negotiations of Mayo's deal.  Mayo tackles guys...and he makes his tackles with just the utmost consistancy...but in terms of his game-changing added extras like TFLs, FFs, Sacks, Ints, and PDs- Yes, Even for a middle linebacker, Jerod Mayo's stats in these regards can only be considered just barely "average" in terms of the pass-coverage only...  The rest?  Sub-par...even for a MLB.

Now, all the criticism off to the side for a second, I DO agree with 1 consensus being said here.  There's a seperate bet that BB's hedging imo...  It's that there's definately decent odds that Jerod Mayo's skill on the field and overall production will improve.  Mayo is a professional in every way he goes about preparing for the game off & on the field.  NE's Defense WAS at the very worst point in terms of age, skill, and needing a revamping from seemingly every single spot almost the very moment Mayo began his career here (some aspects are obviously still a big issue...but in September 2008?  Wow- looked Real Ug-leeey).  At U of Tennessee, I believe only in his final year as a Junior, was Mayo an ILB...before that he did exceptionally well as a 4-3 weak outside linebacker.  Cool thing is, most 3-4 WILB (as Mayo was during his NFL entirety for NE before the 4-3 shift)- aren't ever gonna have or show the skill-set to offer decent play at both positions (3-4 WILB + 4-3 WOLB)...and we bore witness to Jerod Mayo's very good potential at 4-3 WOLB during preseason.  Mayo was drafted higher than most anyone expected, so his rookie contract undoubtedly exceeded all of his initial projections and expectations pre-draft (not quite as fun coming up with a new contract for a guy who even in his mind, KNOWS dead-certain that he was underpaid).  
         I remember both in draft profiles & that 2008 summer camp with other players commenting on just how unbelievably fast Mayo was (Mayo ran in the dead-center mid 4.5 40's again and again)-And although he looks to have slowed a bit, I'd rather have a 4.54 40yd guy slowing down a bit, instead of a 4.79 40 slowing down a bit.  
         It really is all there as a decent bet to even improve in full potential, or at the bottommost- Mayo will be a mistake-free, Intelligent on-field team leader, and a total vet pro off the field.  Single actually worrisome concern, is his 2 leg tears- And it sorta shows what an exceptionally good & well-built athlete he is, that he's come back from both injuries- Quickly & Productively consistant in his play.

~~~~
         In a sport with a hard team cap, THIS was the perfect time to sign Mayo at (geez, I hope)- what should certainly be a very good bargain.  That's a smart bet to make right here and now. 
         Now, a guy like Andre Carter on the otherhand...  THAT bet, is a perfect example of what should be a very worrisome contract, if & when Carter & NE's FO come to the bargaining table.  His pass-rush potential can be pretty d#mn nice at times...  Yet, not only can Andre Carter go 2 or more games in which he subsequently offers almost nothing in terms of pressuring the backfield, BUT Carter can even disappear at times in simple run defense.  Just look at Carter's game-by-game logs AND his yearly stats:  1 game Carter will provide 2-3 Sacks, 2-3 more QB pressures and 5 more TTs as well, then the next 2 consecutive games Carter will show up with 2 Total Tackles, 0 Sacks, and 0 QB pressures.  Same goes per season for Carter:  1 year he'll get 2-4 Total Sacks for the entire year + 35-45 TTs...the next year he'll get 10 or 11 Sacks + 55-60 TTs...next year=Back to 2-4 total...then 10 or more yet again.  This year, and with just over 50 TTs along with 10 Sacks already, Carter'll command booku-dough in order to keep'im here.  But come next year, there's a very real possibility that'cha won't know WhatTH ya actually spent your money on.            

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

ya I appreciate your pasion and your clearly a true Pats fan, but the truth is Mayo couldn't carry Raw Lewis' jock. And that comes from a guy who cant stand Ray Lewis!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In general I assume they resigned him because it was a cap friendly deal and they figure it's a low risk type of move for a solid player...value. Mayo looks like the type of player that will look better with more talent around him, however he's not the type that will make the talent AROUND him look better - Lewis is THAT type of player - Mayo is not.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

As much as Ray Lewis has wreaked havoc on the Steelers over the years, you would think I would despise the guy...but on the football field, I respect the way he has gone 'all out' for so many years. I remember the first time I heard of Ray Lewis. I was listening to a radio broadcast of the Steelers game and all I kept hearing was, 'Ray Lewis on the tackle'. I was thinking, who the heck is Ray Lewis? I don't know whether Mayo may someday match or surpass what Lewis has done on the field, but it's very hard to put  anybody in the category of a Ray Lewis. Lawrence Taylor and Mike Singletary come to mind, to name a few. But this is objectionable.

Sections
Shortcuts