I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Re: I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis

In Response to Re: I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis:
    [QUOTE] As much as Ray Lewis has wreaked havoc on the Steelers over the years, you would think I would despise the guy...but on the football field, I respect the way he has gone 'all out' for so many years. I remember the first time I heard of Ray Lewis. I was listening to a radio broadcast of the Steelers game and all I kept hearing was, 'Ray Lewis on the tackle'. I was thinking, who the heck is Ray Lewis? I don't know whether Mayo may someday match or surpass what Lewis has done on the field, but it's very hard to put  anybody in the category of a Ray Lewis. Lawrence Taylor and Mike Singletary come to mind, to name a few. But this is objectionable.
    Posted by Steelcurtain75[/QUOTE]

Hey STEEL75!

Good to have you back on the board! Hope to see you guys again in the AFCCG...at the Razor.  Any inside information about Ben's ankle?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

If Mayo is better than Ray Lewis then DMC is better than Deion Sanders.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

To be honest guys I was pretty drunk last night haha. I just seen the news of the resigning and got excited. You're all right on alot of points, I do think Mayo could be alot better in a more "get after the passer attack" he really rarely ever gets a chance to shoot the gap and get after the QB and as well as that I think talking about his durability is nonsense he's missed time in his career with 2 MCL injuries. If we put any man in the worlds leg planted in the ground and we roll a 250-300 pound player into the knee of that leg the person will hurt their knee his injuries have been more about luck in my opinion. Lewis is a phenom though even if he does annoy me with the preachy speeches every sunday!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]To be honest guys I was pretty drunk last night haha. I just seen the news of the resigning and got excited. You're all right on alot of points, I do think Mayo could be alot better in a more "get after the passer attack" he really rarely ever gets a chance to shoot the gap and get after the QB and as well as that I think talking about his durability is nonsense he's missed time in his career with 2 MCL injuries. If we put any man in the worlds leg planted in the ground and we roll a 250-300 pound player into the knee of that leg the person will hurt their knee his injuries have been more about luck in my opinion. Lewis is a phenom though even if he does annoy me with the preachy speeches every sunday!
    Posted by danemcmenamin[/QUOTE]
    He does have the ability to shoot a gap because he is a very explosive athlete, but those plays require timing and instinct - I haven't seen that out of him since he's been here. I also think they don't put him in a pass rush type of roll (despite that we could use help), because he's not a pass rusher. His arms aren't very long (at least compared to a pass rusher) and although he's got rare quickness and explosiveness, he doesn't look flexible enough to bend around a corner and drag QB's down.

I always think of him as a versatile guy that makes plays when they are in front of him, is big enough to play along the line, and although is not great in coverage - won't hurt you there. I wish we had him in 07, that defense was really missing a guy like this - we would of won the whole thing with him there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

He's getting there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I feel like a lot of fans here have trouble keeping perspective. Meanwhile, if you do not think every Patriots player is the best in history or that ever move that BB makes is pure genius you are labelled a troll or a non-fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think Jerod Mayo is better than Ray Lewis : He does have the ability to shoot a gap because he is a very explosive athlete, but those plays require timing and instinct - I haven't seen that out of him since he's been here. I also think they don't put him in a pass rush type of roll (despite that we could use help), because he's not a pass rusher. His arms aren't very long (at least compared to a pass rusher) and although he's got rare quickness and explosiveness, he doesn't look flexible enough to bend around a corner and drag QB's down. I always think of him as a versatile guy that makes plays when they are in front of him, is big enough to play along the line, and although is not great in coverage - won't hurt you there. I wish we had him in 07, that defense was really missing a guy like this - we would of won the whole thing with him there.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Nah... We might have won the whole thing If we had Andre Carter taking the spot of Adalius Thomas at Weak Outside Linebacker... We might have won the whole thing If we had James Sanders & Brandon Meriweather backing up the play of Devin McCourty + Kyle Arrington + Nate Jones/Antwaun Molden/Ras I Dowling (an healthy one, that is), As Opposed To:  Ellis Hobbs, Terrence Wheatley, and Jonathin Wilhite/Lewis Sanders/Fernando Bryant.  We even might have won the whole thing If we didn't have Junior Seau playing for the team after just turning either 40, or a youthful 39 years old, And instead had a 23 year old healthy Brandon Spikes...  But even an old Tedy Bruschi verses having a Jerod Mayo in his prime...Nah, probably not.

mthurl... I guess that's my issue with what I believe that I personally see as the biggest thing lacking from Jerod Mayo's play...  You see that Mayo doesn't have that exact perfect timing, and/or that instant recognition awarded to a trully instinctual foottball player.  To me, that is close...REAL close. 

I'm sure it all sorta ties into the specific thing which I see that Mayo's lacking.  Ready?  APassion.  And I don't mean, The unhealthy initially over-run a play, then in a half-blind rage, knock the ball-carrier on his rear after he's 3 feet outta bounds, Before ending your "SUPER" play by gettin'-j!ggy-with-it for a 3 and a half minute dance routine at midfield...  No.

I mean even a healthy & even just "moderate" amount of passion.  The passion to emotionally fire up your team with a play, or a word, and with belief and certainty.  The passion of Bruschi to up-end himself, and topple head over heals onto his face by throwing personal caution aside in the heat of the moment, by attempting to rush headlong over a 6'6 O-Tackle, just b/'c he sees a split second opening to make a move towards the QB...and he KNOWS that even IF and when he gets flipped on his head, that maybe- just maybe, his crazy effort can disrupt the potential for a successful offensive completion, even by altering the course of the play direction in 1 single degree.  

I don't see that...  And I don't mean, that I don't see "Bruschi-insane-person" Passion...  I mean, I don't ever see or even feel the willingness I want just a few times outta Jerod Mayo, just to even potentially risk life and limb, by sacrificing his body in order to make 1 play.  I know I'll get heat from this from some poster- But from Jerod Mayo, I see Professionalism...."Professionalism" in droves.  But I do not EVER...and even when it's healthy & needed- I Do Not See A "Killer Instinct" from Jerod Mayo...  NEVER.      

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Comparin Mayo the one of the greatest LBs to ever play the game is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Next thing you know you'll be saying Aaron Rodgers is better than Brady. -_-

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Steelersfan. I'd go one step further and put Lewis on a short list with Jack Lambert and Dick Butkas as greatest MLBs/ILBs of all time. Singletary also on that list. I think Mayo is good, but we are really discussing peak value (Mayo's first two seasons)versus career value (Lewis has easily had one of the best ILB careers in the last twenty years). Granted signing Mayo is huge for the Pats because I see him and Wilfork as the leaders on this defense and are arguably the two players on this D that any other team would love to have so locking them up is a great idea.

I don't like Lewis much as a person, but he is obviously a great great player. The reason I put him with Lambert and Butkas is that they all have an intimidation factor and opposing offenses always want to know where they are on the field.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

Ray lewis at one time was the most dominating defensive player in the NFL. He was one of those rare defensive players that could take over a game and have a big impact on the outcome. He was the reason why the ravens won in 2000. At 35 or whatever his age he can still bring it even though a step slower. Mayo is very good but nowhere even close to what Ray Lewis brought in his peak. IMO

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

-And it's a good thing you do, considering that Jerod Mayo received an estimated 10 mil a year contract <5 years, 50 million>, for his new extension (NOT "Free Agent" price btw...It was a contract EXTENSION which threw away his final year of being paid $5,183,120 for next season).  At any single Middle Linebacker spot, the only single player this deal rivals (but not "beats"), is Patrick Willis's 5 year 50 mil w/ 29 mil guarenteed (rather thann Mayo's paltry 27 mil guarenteed)...

Comparison (an I'm offering the HIGH numbers for these guys; i.e. the "Total 2011 Year Cap 'Hit'", not the simple salary; I'm not even sure IF Mayo's figure shows just the LOWER of the numbers <base salary /> OR the higher of the two <total cap figure>):

~2012 TOTAL Cap Hit Salaries: 

Player
    Position
    2011 Salary
    2011 Salary Cap #
    Terrell SuggsDT$3,400,000      $9,683,333
    Ray LewisLB    $4,500,000$9,208,333
    Brian Urlacher $8,025,000$9,275,000
    Lance Briggs    $3,650,000$4,566,667
    Manny Lawson   $3,000,000$3,000,000
    DeMarcus Ware $6,700,000$9,557,000
    Tony Spencer $1,001,000$2,196,000
    Keith Brooking  $2,200,000$2,200,000
    A.J. Hawk        $1,150,000$4,550,000
    DeMeco Ryans $5,800,000$7,050,000
    Derrick Johnson $3,000,000$3,000,000
    Karlos Dansby $2,700,000$6,700,000
    Jonathan Vilma $5,130,000$6,330,000
    Chris Canty(DE) $5,250,000$6,916,667
    Justin Tuck(DE) $3,450,000$6,250,000
    Osi Umenyiora $3,125,000$3,767,857
    Mathias Kiwan- $1,750,000$3,050,000
    Calvin Pace            $855,000   $6,113,333
    Bart Scott $3,900,000$4,483,333 
    LaMarr Wdly   
     $1,100,000$7,350,000 
    David Harris $2,000,000$4,000,000 
    Bryan Thomas $3,200,000$3,700,000
    James Harrison $3,660,000$5,326,667
    James Farrior $2,825,000$3,825,000

...these were the highest comparable ones in salary and relativity of position which I could find. 

Sections
Shortcuts