I Think Voller is Gone

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Re: I Think Voller is Gone

all that being said, I won't be shocked if they go Offensive line early in the draft---Fluker or Pugh maybe?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Me too.  I think they're ready to give a talented kid the keys and I think this was the design when they took him in the mid rds of that draft.

Great value because of where he was supposed to go before the cancer diagnosis.  Dennard, same thing.

God bless, Scarnecchia. When he retires they need to name a building on the the campus after him or something. The guy is just incredible.

Rusty did you just compare cancer to allegedly punching a cop? But yeah I also agree it's a great answer, it just shows the "it's not what you did to get here, it's what you do when you arrive" philosophy is real. Names mean nothing with the Patriots and that's the way it should be, it's why Wes Welker isn't a member of the team anymore

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Truthfully if salary cap hell exists he will back, simply because no one will have the money to sign him. If you don't have money - you don't sign guys with bad backs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:

Me too.  I think they're ready to give a talented kid the keys and I think this was the design when they took him in the mid rds of that draft.

Great value because of where he was supposed to go before the cancer diagnosis.  Dennard, same thing.

God bless, Scarnecchia. When he retires they need to name a building on the the campus after him or something. The guy is just incredible.

Rusty did you just compare cancer to allegedly punching a cop? But yeah I also agree it's a great answer, it just shows the "it's not what you did to get here, it's what you do when you arrive" philosophy is real. Names mean nothing with the Patriots and that's the way it should be, it's why Wes Welker isn't a member of the team anymore

No, I didn't. I was pointing to how when he feels a player who has "flags", whether it be Tom Brady in Rd 6, Cannon recovering from cancer in Rd 5, Dennard with legal problems in Rd 7, he uses those opportunities in terms of value to IMPROVE the leverage he has a GM down the line.

Get it?

Cannon dropped to Rd 5. Vollmer showed some signs of injuries, post 2010 season.  They like to develop lineman without overpaying in the market, so that selection was likley intended to be a Vollmer contingency this whole time.

It explains why they kept plopping him out there at RT and not RG.

What exactly were the red flags Tom Brady had coming out?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Three things are working against Vollmer:

1) he's been pigeonholed at RT

2.) he's got medical red flags (he must have, he's too good to remain on the market)

3.) this is a very strong draft for OTs

IMO, Vollmer's agent is being a greedy little tool.

King, good posts, but its $5mil for rookies. I expect BB to trade out of the 1st again. Lots of decent 2-4th round talent.

I would hate to see Voller gone. He's been one of the more memorable Patriots.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:

No, I didn't. I was pointing to how when he feels a player who has "flags", whether it be Tom Brady in Rd 6, Cannon recovering from cancer in Rd 5, Dennard with legal problems in Rd 7, he uses those opportunities in terms of value to IMPROVE the leverage he has a GM down the line.

Get it?

Cannon dropped to Rd 5. Vollmer showed some signs of injuries, post 2010 season.  They like to develop lineman without overpaying in the market, so that selection was likley intended to be a Vollmer contingency this whole time.

It explains why they kept plopping him out there at RT and not RG.

Yeah calm down man I was just having a little joke there, all be it not a very good one but it got a rise out of you so that was funny. Other than that excellent rationale 100% agree. BB is 10 steps ahead always

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

2.) he's got medical red flags (he must have, he's too good to remain on the market)

King, good posts, but its $5mil for rookies. I expect BB to trade out of the 1st again. Lots of decent 2-4th round talent.

I definitely like the idea of trading out of the first round as where maybe someone wants a player thats still there at that spot and gives up a 2nd and a 3rd. However, does BB ever do what we think he's gonna do? lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

They signed Svitek today as well for further insurance just in case things don't work out with Vollmer.  As much as I like Vollmer, if I had to guess I'd say he won't be back and that money will be spread elsewhere. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Yeah I don't think forking over a bunch of cash to Vollmer is in the plans. I've always been high on Cannon and many of us predicted him as the Rt of the future after we robbed the LG for him in the 5th rd!

Coach Scar's offensive line has never really been much of a concern to those of us who pay attention.

Vollmer's health issues make signing him to a long term deal at around $7mil. per season prohibitive. Still, I don't feel comfortable with Cannon at RT...and neither will Tom Brady. Somethings needs to be done to fortify the position. Cannon will make an outstanding RG. But, he isn't athletic enough to handle those quick edge pass rushers. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

I know that. I meant to type Tackle.  I was referencing why it was odd why a Guard like Donald Thomas would be listed ahead of Cannon on NE's depth chart if they played different spots.

I then had the word "Guard" on my mind when I meant to type Tackle there.

Regardless, he's been used in both spots, but mostly Tackle by BB.   Like I said above, I too felt he would be a better fit at Guard, but I go by BB and Scar because they are never wrong in the OL area. 

I was using the term depth chart too loosely, what I should have said was that in those  occassions when Thomas was assigned to play guard, he was used in front of and more often than Cannon. I think in general , Thomas is a better athlele and more experienced than Cannon and was trusted more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Cannon might turn out to be a better run blovker than Vollmer, maybe, but his feet look to be just too slow to be consistently good at pass blocking against anyone with any quickness. I suspect opponents will see that and try to exploit it and the answer will end up being that he either blows too many blocks (and you will all cry out how bad a draft pick he was) or they will put a man there to help him.

Frankly I think he would be better at guard. I am not saying I dont like him. I just think his feet are too slow for tackle.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

I think most teams were waiting for Long to sign to set the market. Now that he is signed, I expect Smith to be next. I still believe Vollmer is not readfy to pass a physical due to his knee clean out

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

per Schefter Winston is in Miami today. If he signs, takes another player for Vollmer off the table

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

per Schefter Winston is in Miami today. If he signs, takes another player for Vollmer off the table

And it takes another team with a lot of cap space with a need at tackle off the table.  /shrug

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I was going to mention the Phins...they could sneak in and grab Vollmer