I want to hear your definition of the word dynasty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I want to hear your definition of the word dynasty

dy·nas·ty (dn-st)
    n. pl. dy·nas·ties
    1. A succession of rulers from the same family or line.
    2. A family or group that maintains power for several generations: a political dynasty controlling the state.

I've heard a lot of talk about whether the Pats actually had one or not and whether it still exists or not. What does it mean to you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Re: I want to hear your definition of the word dynasty

Dynasty is an American prime time television soap opera that aired on ABC from January 12, 1981 to May 11, 1989. It was created by Richard and Esther Shapiro and produced by Aaron Spelling, and revolved around the Carringtons, a wealthy oil family living in Denver, Colorado.[2] Starring John Forsythe and Linda Evans as oil magnate Blake Carrington and his new wife Krystle, Dynasty was ABC's derivation of the hit CBS prime time serial Dallas.[2]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Hey Sam,
    I'd say for the Pats to be a true Dynasty they have to win another Superbowl this decade and it would be better for them if they won 2 or more. IMO a Dynasty has to span over decades. The forty niners did it as did the Raiders. I'm on the fence with the Cowboys and Steelers because there was a lot of time in between the Championships for both. I don't consider the Pats a dynasty yet. The Celtics, The Canadians and the Yankees are all good examples of Dynasties. I am looking forward to the Pats getting it done though. They have the right coach in place to do it.

Domination for decades

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Dominate winner for long period of time. The Pats of the last decade are very close, if they had beaten the colts in the AFCCG and beat the Bears and also finished 19 and 0 by beating the Giants then that's a dynasty.

true dynasties;  
    Celtics of 1960s
    Inlanders of early 80s
    yankmes of the late 90s

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In Response to Re: I want to hear your definition of the word dynasty:
    Hey Sam, I'd say for the Pats to be a true Dynasty they have to win another Superbowl this decade and it would be better for them if they won 2 or more. IMO a Dynasty has to span over decades. The forty niners did it as did the Raiders. I'm on the fence with the Cowboys and Steelers because there was a lot of time in between the Championships for both. I don't consider the Pats a dynasty yet. The Celtics, The Canadians and the Yankees are all good examples of Dynasties. I am looking forward to the Pats getting it done though. They have the right coach in place to do it. Domination for decades
    Posted by ewhite1065

according to your opinion no teams would, technically, have a dynasty. What the Pats have done in the salary cap era is far beyond extraordinary! They are a real dynasty they had to deal with a lot of parity through out the league over those years!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: I want to hear your definition of the word dynasty : according to your opinion no teams would, technically, have a dynasty. What the Pats have done in the salary cap era is far beyond extraordinary! They are a real dynasty they had to deal with a lot of parity through out the league over those years!
    Posted by freediro

Sure, I gave a list of what I thought were Dynasty teams.It's very hard to have a dynasty in a salary cap era. I think we have lowered our standards for Dynasties and we throw the word Dynasty around like the word great. It only my opinion but I won't call a team a Dynasty unless they can keep it going through a decade into the next and maintain dominance. Lots of teams are dominant for 4 or 5 year stretches. The teams I listed in my other post set the bar for Dynasty teams for me. The Patriots haven't lived up to what the Niners or the Raiders accomplished over a 10-15 year period. They are close, but not quite there.  I just need one more Superbowl Victory for that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

A true dynasty is over a number of leaderships - at least more than one.  In this case the people in charge have not changed.  Same ownership, same coach, same.  I would guess that an argument could be made for the 49ers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

"I've heard a lot of talk about whether the Pats actually had one or not and whether it still exists or not. What does it mean to you?"

I used to think the word dynasty was grossly overused. I thought very few teams such as the UCLA Bruins, the Celtics of the sixties, the Yankees and the Canadiens were dynasties.

After researching the definitions and opinions of what a sports dynasty is, I have to include the Patriots in the discussion. Three superbowls in four years in a salary cap league is simply amazing.

http://theserioustip.blogspot.com/2007/05/defining-dynasty.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

I think the Patriots are a "sports" dynasty.  
    That is different then a royal dynasty.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsTxGrl. Show PatsTxGrl's posts

I just want another Patriots Super Bowl win. Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

When you look it up, it shows the flying elvis picture!!!! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

A sports dynasty was the successful defense of the America's Cup for 126 years in a row against all comers.  The Patriots' regular season record of 107-37 over 9 years, with real threats for continuing the trend, is highly respectable, but the record has holes in it and is still 117 years short.

The NFL announced in 2001 that they had achieved parity.  Now that makes the Patriots' run quite impressive.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

A team that has been dominant, and has won multiple championships, for a 4-5 year period. Both the Patriots and Colts have been dominant teams. But, only the Patriots get the dynasty nod because of their 3 championships in 4 years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Colts = FAIL Polian = 5 SB losses
    Posted by russgriswold

wouldnt that make them a dynasty of losers??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

"Dynasty" was the name of the KISS album that contained their disco hit, "I Was Made for Lovin' You."

I've never really forgiven them for that one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Patriots 2001-2007. Get ready for a new one beteen 2010-2019

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Patriots 2001-2007. Get ready for a new one beteen 2010-2019
    Posted by kansaspatriot

are you really gonna count a year where they didnt win the superbowl? come on...thats no good...unless afc dynasty or afc east dynasty is what you are shooting for...

and on that note...henne to marshall to win the superbowl!...will have a nice ring to it

what? one can dream eh?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Colts = FAIL Polian = 5 SB losses
    Posted by russgriswold

Have you noticed that our pal Underdog(gggg) has failed to chime in on this?  I wonder why?? LOL!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts