I was at camp today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I was at camp today

Basically a lot of 7 on 7's going on...lots of passing...kind of a light practice. Not a lot of contact.

Just like last year Edelman was the best receiver on the field, he is bigger and gets better separation than Amendola and he has more deep speed as well.

Speaking of Amendola, he looked like the second best receiver out there, but he isn't big and he doesn't get open deep - he just doesn't have that type of speed. He doesn't separate real well off pure ability either, it's more technique and quickness. From what I saw the guy just doesn't have a lot of burst...just like last year...Edelman however is a totally different story, the guy explodes out of his breaks like he was shot out of a cannon. He also did this little cool drill where someone kept tossing him balls to his right and left and he would catch them with one hand. Over and over and over he would do this.

It looked like Vereen caught a million passes today all over the field. It looks like White can do the same thing - White smoked Mayo a few times today in coverage. Speaking of coverage, the linebackers don't look great in that department.

Dobson was back, he looked rusty, but he didn't appear to be limping. They didn't put him through much...some long routes, a few drills, etc.

Lafell, Thomkins and Boyce are curious studies because none of them really look great. I guess you can't expect them to, but you kind of would like to see it. Thompkins looks the same as last year to me - which isn't bad - but he did have some drops, one in a drill where they get a little physical with your hands to see if you can hold on to it...he didn't. Lafell had some good moments deep...then some not so good ones. I like his size though. Boyce was so up and down that it was ridiculous...caught one...dropped one...on and on.

The receiver from Maine looked pretty good out there (Derrick Johnson)...nice speed, showed some nice hands. I thought the kid Tyms came back to earth today...plenty of drops...plenty of times not getting open. He likes to scream after every bad play he does, he screamed a lot today.

Dennard was out there practicing, that guy is good. He is just so quick and aggressive...receivers were having a hard time finding space against him.

Easley was doing some drills on the other end of the field, he looked like he was moving well.

For some reason Bequette always stands out to me - not because he is a good player - but because he is built like one. They had him playing outside in the 34 in space, he is average per usual.

Chandler Jones is a total goof ball, he likes to play around all the time. He was doing drills with everyone else and he had a football with him - he tossed it to this one and that one - he eventually tossed it to Will Smith, who looked at the thing like...what the hell are you doing? But the kid just looks awesome out there, it all looks so easy to him. He is an effortless athlete.

Revis was called to cover Gronk in his rehab. He had no chance in covering him - maybe he was taking it easy on him - but gronk just can't be covered one on one...bad knee or not. The guy is a total freak. Total freak.

Got a chance to watch Garopollo because Mallett was MIA. The kid can throw the ball...wow nice arm. Great on the deep balls, very accurate, very catchable. He has enough power in his throws and the ball comes out fast. I thought he threw the ball great today. He had one pick, one overthrow (but the guy was not open and he had to get rid of it) and he had one wobbly pass. Other than that he was pretty damn good. He was next to Brady in every drill and he throws the deeper stuff with more accuracy and a better trajectory. The Patriots have got to be pleased with this guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: I was at camp today

In response to mthurl's comment:

Basically a lot of 7 on 7's going on...lots of passing...kind of a light practice. Not a lot of contact.

Just like last year Edelman was the best receiver on the field, he is bigger and gets better separation than Amendola and he has more deep speed as well.

Speaking of Amendola, he looked like the second best receiver out there, but he isn't big and he doesn't get open deep - he just doesn't have that type of speed. He doesn't separate real well off pure ability either, it's more technique and quickness. From what I saw the guy just doesn't have a lot of burst...just like last year...Edelman however is a totally different story, the guy explodes out of his breaks like he was shot out of a cannon. He also did this little cool drill where someone kept tossing him balls to his right and left and he would catch them with one hand. Over and over and over he would do this.

It looked like Vereen caught a million passes today all over the field. It looks like White can do the same thing - White smoked Mayo a few times today in coverage. Speaking of coverage, the linebackers don't look great in that department.

Dobson was back, he looked rusty, but he didn't appear to be limping. They didn't put him through much...some long routes, a few drills, etc.

Lafell, Thomkins and Boyce are curious studies because none of them really look great. I guess you can't expect them to, but you kind of would like to see it. Thompkins looks the same as last year to me - which isn't bad - but he did have some drops, one in a drill where they get a little physical with your hands to see if you can hold on to it...he didn't. Lafell had some good moments deep...then some not so good ones. I like his size though. Boyce was so up and down that it was ridiculous...caught one...dropped one...on and on.

The receiver from Maine looked pretty good out there (Derrick Johnson)...nice speed, showed some nice hands. I thought the kid Tyms came back to earth today...plenty of drops...plenty of times not getting open. He likes to scream after every bad play he does, he screamed a lot today.

Dennard was out there practicing, that guy is good. He is just so quick and aggressive...receivers were having a hard time finding space against him.

Easley was doing some drills on the other end of the field, he looked like he was moving well.

For some reason Bequette always stands out to me - not because he is a good player - but because he is built like one. They had him playing outside in the 34 in space, he is average per usual.

Chandler Jones is a total goof ball, he likes to play around all the time. He was doing drills with everyone else and he had a football with him - he tossed it to this one and that one - he eventually tossed it to Will Smith, who looked at the thing like...what the hell are you doing? But the kid just looks awesome out there, it all looks so easy to him. He is an effortless athlete.

Revis was called to cover Gronk in his rehab. He had no chance in covering him - maybe he was taking it easy on him - but gronk just can't be covered one on one...bad knee or not. The guy is a total freak. Total freak.

Got a chance to watch Garopollo because Mallett was MIA. The kid can throw the ball...wow nice arm. Great on the deep balls, very accurate, very catchable. He has enough power in his throws and the ball comes out fast. I thought he threw the ball great today. He had one pick, one overthrow (but the guy was not open and he had to get rid of it) and he had one wobbly pass. Other than that he was pretty damn good. He was next to Brady in every drill and he throws the deeper stuff with more accuracy and a better trajectory. The Patriots have got to be pleased with this guy.

Terrific breakdown!  Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.  Sounds like a lot of positive news to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Thanks for the Info mthurl....Great stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

thanks for the update :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Sweet. Was Dobson taking part in the 7 on 7s?    

"Defense Wins Championships"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good stuff mthurl.  Thanks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

Nice read my friend. Thanks!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Great report and breakdown!  Did you happen to notice if the the O-line and D-line were doing one on one drills and in particular how Zach Moore looked?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Great write up.  Thank you

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Good stuff. When I went to the camp two weeks ago the best offensive players where Edelman and Vereen as well. Good solid breakdown on it Mhurl.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Sweet. Was Dobson taking part in the 7 on 7s?    

"Defense Wins Championships"

I didn't see him in 7 on 7's, although it was easy to mistake Lafell for him because he just looks big out there like Dobson.

They took it easy on Dobson today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Great report and breakdown!  Did you happen to notice if the the O-line and D-line were doing one on one drills and in particular how Zach Moore looked?

The defensive line and offensive line stuff was so far away I couldn't really see anything. I did notice Moore though, he's tall and skinny in the legs and I want to say they had him lining up at defensive tackle a few times today, probably because of the injuries.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

Thanks mthurl!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

Good stuff. When I went to the camp two weeks ago the best offensive players where Edelman and Vereen as well. Good solid breakdown on it Mhurl.

Yeah they stand out. Is it just me or does it seem like we really are lacking in offensive skill talent right now? I know when Gronk gets back that will change, but I'll tell yeah, there is NOTHING at the tight end position right now. Nothing. And the receivers kind of look the same to me right now as they did training camp last year...kind of raw...dropping too many balls...not really getting open...potential?? Yes, but not where they need to be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Good stuff, great report. I'm starting to wonder if Garp looked bad in practice the other week because McDaniels was working with him on his mechanics and he was still getting use to it. He looked the part though in game.

Sad report on the back end of the WR's though, that none looked that great. Most years not sure they would make the team but we are thin at talent so they could sneak in. Also sad to hear about Tyms, with that size and how he looked during the game was hoping he could fill that bigger outside receiver role when we went spread opposite Dobson. Be interesting to see if he just isn't a good practice player and turns it up at game time.

Good to hear about White looking good and Gronk, Easley, Dobson, and Dennard back on the field and doing well.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Good stuff, great report. I'm starting to wonder if Garp looked bad in practice the other week because McDaniels was working with him on his mechanics and he was still getting use to it. He looked the part though in game.

Sad report on the back end of the WR's though, that none looked that great. Most years not sure they would make the team but we are thin at talent so they could sneak in. Also sad to hear about Tyms, with that size and how he looked during the game was hoping he could fill that bigger outside receiver role when we went spread opposite Dobson. Be interesting to see if he just isn't a good practice player and turns it up at game time.

Good to hear about White looking good and Gronk, Easley, Dobson, and Dennard back on the field and doing well.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

I was thinking something similar with JG when I was watching him today, because if you saw him today, you would never of guessed he had such a bad start to camp. He was very impressive to me. Some of his throws today were things of beauty. I have no idea if he will be a great quarterback, but I have no doubt in my mind that he has the arm for it - he doesn't have a cannon, but it is certainly strong enough and man does he know how to let that thing fall in the right spot on the deep stuff.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Thanks mthurl!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to Fletcherbrook's comment:

Nice read my friend. Thanks!

LOL

We're glad you liked his report about our team.  Hey!  I noticed you stopped using your obvious Bustchise-related board names since yesterday's news of draft bust Milliner's disastrous high ankle sprain and McDougle's blown out ACL.

They have Kylie Wilson buried in the slot still, because the know how awful he is as a starter on the outside.

The NY Busts

Don't know what you are talking about.

go away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I watched a lot of Jimmy G's college highlights and was very impressed with his accuracy. i haven't seen too many QB's with better accuracy. He is the opposite of Mallett, who has a cannon but no touch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

I watched a lot of Jimmy G's college highlights and was very impressed with his accuracy. i haven't seen too many QB's with better accuracy. He is the opposite of Mallett, who has a cannon but no touch.

Yeah I was impressed by pretty much everything he did today, he got a lot of work because Mallett wasn't there. Here's a kid standing next to maybe the best QB on the planet and he didn't look out of place at all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Good post!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

That was a very good read, good info!  Thanks for posting mthurl!

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Thanks a lot Mthurl. Very well-written. A fun and easy read... very informative. Thanks! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Very thorough analysis! Good stuff, thanks for posting.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Sections
Shortcuts