I was at camp today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: I was at camp today

Great info, pretty jealous you get to be there, haha.

Any info on Ridley or Browner? Hearing about our WR's along with the news of our poor TE depth is starting to worry me. Did you see Brady frustrated at all out there?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Great post, thank you for posting mthurl.

Supra societatem nemo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Nothing like first hand observations - really good stuff, Mthurl. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Excellent post and a great read mthurl! I really appreciate the objective analysis. Good stuff on J.E., Dennard, Garoppolo and others.

Disappointing news on Boyce and I'm starting to wonder if he's just a tease. He's just so talented but will the light ever come on for this guy?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Great post. Thank you.   I was wondering about butler.  Thompkins was my dark horse but after game 1 it's butler.  I'd like the problem if having to carry too many corners cause their too good to cut.   

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

But, but I'm a good poster!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Thanks mthurl.

All good stuff.

I especially liked your observation about Bequette.  Can't wait to hear Mayock say he popped.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You cannot beat an unbiased first person account of what's going on.

Great info.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Any info on Ridley or Browner? Hearing about our WR's along with the news of our poor TE depth is starting to worry me. Did you see Brady frustrated at all out there?

[/QUOTE]

I was looking for Browner yesterday, but I didn't see him, I think he was held out of practice. Ridley looked good, he looked like he was running low and he did a decent job catching the ball in drills. He did lose the ball on one run, it was more of a...when he hit the ground it popped out type of thing, but it did happen. And I'll tell yeah when this guy loses the ball it doesn't just come out, it flies out. But he looks big - honestly he looks like the only guy with starter size besides Bolden.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great post. Thank you.   I was wondering about butler.  Thompkins was my dark horse but after game 1 it's butler.  I'd like the problem if having to carry too many corners cause their too good to cut.   

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

But, but I'm a good poster!

[/QUOTE]

The only thing I really noticed about Butler is that he was wearing a red jersey during practice, that usually means non contact, but he was out there playing with it. I'll tell you that in drills Dennard really stood out to me. They did this drill where the receiver has to run a quick route and get a little separation against the corner (no ball is thrown), and Dennard was pretty awesome in it..the guy just sticks to his man. He took a wrong step once and lost a battle, but other than that he was lights out - and man did he not like losing that one battle - you could hear him yell a mile away.

Thompkins looked good in some stuff, but he dropped a couple. It just looks like the same stuff with him, his hands don't look like they can handle a little contact. And Boyce was up and down throughout the practice too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I was looking for Browner yesterday, but I didn't see him, I think he was held out of practice. Ridley looked good, he looked like he was running low and he did a decent job catching the ball in drills. He did lose the ball on one run, it was more of a...when he hit the ground it popped out type of thing, but it did happen. And I'll tell yeah when this guy loses the ball it doesn't just come out, it flies out. But he looks big - honestly he looks like the only guy with starter size besides Bolden.

Mthurl, when you say only Ridley and Bolden look big enough to start are you talking about size (height, width) or musculature? Nowadays, a lot of backs are pretty small height and width wise, but they are very strong (think Maurice Jones Drew).  I'm fine with small stature in a back as long as the player is strong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mthurl, when you say only Ridley and Nolden look big enough to start are you talking about size (height, width) or musculature? Nowadays, a lot of backs are pretty small height and width wise, but they are very strong (think Maurice Jones Drew).  I'm fine with mall stature in a back as long as the player is strong.

[/QUOTE]

I was trying to focus on White and I got to tell you he doesn't look big to me...at least from where I was sitting. I know he's short, but he just didn't look thick to me. He looked more in line with Vereen and Finch, than Bolden and Ridley. And they had maybe two other backs there that were a tad bit on the bigger side than White. I've read that White's legs are big - and I was looking for that - but honestly I really couldn't tell from where I was.

I'm still hoping White will be able to be a good runner here, it's just that they didn't do much of that yesterday...it was mostly passing. And he sure the hell can catch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

With Vereen, White, and Finch they may be looking at using the backs more as receivers.  Honestly, I won't be surprised to see two passing back formations.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Mthurl,
    Great info! Thanks for posting! I was there yesterday as well but got back too late to post anything. No need for dual postings, yours is full of great info! next time you are going to be at practice, drop me a note, I will try to look you up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Thanks for the thorough and informative post. Once again, fans here offer more than the local reporters can.

I think the WR position is gonna be good barring health. I really think Edleman/Amendola are gonna be a solid 1,2 punch. They along w/Gronk will get Lions share. Lafell has been progressing and probably passed KT on depth chart if he knows enough of system by week 1. If it shakes out like I Imagine, Dobson/KT/Boyce will be left to fight for the scraps which is what we want since they are still not there. Last year they were counted on to start and produce a lot. I think they will be better in smaller roles and Gronk/Eds/Amendola will carry the O.

Also Backs getting lots of catches for a reason. White/Vareen will combine for atleast 60-80 catches IMO

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks for the thorough and informative post. Once again, fans here offer more than the local reporters can.

I think the WR position is gonna be good barring health. I really think Edleman/Amendola are gonna be a solid 1,2 punch. They along w/Gronk will get Lions share. Lafell has been progressing and probably passed KT on depth chart if he knows enough of system by week 1. If it shakes out like I Imagine, Dobson/KT/Boyce will be left to fight for the scraps which is what we want since they are still not there. Last year they were counted on to start and produce a lot. I think they will be better in smaller roles and Gronk/Eds/Amendola will carry the O.

Also Backs getting lots of catches for a reason. White/Vareen will combine for atleast 60-80 catches IMO

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If LaFell makes the team, we might not see both Thompkins and Boyce on the team. It's possible but carrying 7 WRs is a lot and it might come down to Thompkins or Boyce in the final cut down and right now both from reports are a bit up and down right now. Thompkins slightly more consistent, Boyce more potential.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trip, the highlight above brings up a good point. the media is not allowed to report opn certain parts of practice. We are taping everything, but the Pats do have the option top review all tape (and do) and there is an agreement in place to not release any footage unless it is agreed upon with the Pats

NFL network like wise

Ditto the local outlets

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trip, the highlight above brings up a good point. the media is not allowed to report opn certain parts of practice. We are taping everything, but the Pats do have the option top review all tape (and do) and there is an agreement in place to not release any footage unless it is agreed upon with the Pats

NFL network like wise

Ditto the local outlets

[/QUOTE]

Yea I heard they can report on any plays except for trick plays and things like that. Also they cant report on words being said. This is where a fans perspective comes in handy. I think the reporters do as good a job they are allowed to do and I Imagine no one wants to be in BBs doghouse.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If LaFell makes the team, we might not see both Thompkins and Boyce on the team. It's possible but carrying 7 WRs is a lot and it might come down to Thompkins or Boyce in the final cut down and right now both from reports are a bit up and down right now. Thompkins slightly more consistent, Boyce more potential.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think either of them are cut and this is why we see the TE position so thin. They only plan on carrying 2 with a 3rd being inactive most games (DJ WIlliams?) and the tight ends in camp now are here only to provide bodies due to Gronk/Hooman being out. Once the season starts KT/Boyce will make it and the team will carry 2 TE's on game day. They will likely caryy one less lineman than usual and I see development with the DBs which tells me we could carry an extra CB and only 3 true safeties(McCourty, Harmon, ??) and the 4th (Knanorris Davis) will be strictly a special teamer. I think they are carrying 6 not, 7 also. I dont count Slater as a WR anymore.

Edleman

Amendola

Lafell

Dobson

KT

Boyce

This is what I see with a slight possibility of Tims beating out Boyce last cut but I would have to see a lot more and then there is the 4 game suspension w/Tims. He could come back week 5 and be active if we have an injury to one of WR.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mthurl,
    Great info! Thanks for posting! I was there yesterday as well but got back too late to post anything. No need for dual postings, yours is full of great info! next time you are going to be at practice, drop me a note, I will try to look you up.

[/QUOTE]

I'll do that next time rkarp, keep us informed of what goes on against the Eagles...should be a good week.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebz. Show deebz's posts

Great post and good insight..tell it like it is..thanks

[QUOTE]

Basically a lot of 7 on 7's going on...lots of passing...kind of a light practice. Not a lot of contact.

Just like last year Edelman was the best receiver on the field, he is bigger and gets better separation than Amendola and he has more deep speed as well.

Speaking of Amendola, he looked like the second best receiver out there, but he isn't big and he doesn't get open deep - he just doesn't have that type of speed. He doesn't separate real well off pure ability either, it's more technique and quickness. From what I saw the guy just doesn't have a lot of burst...just like last year...Edelman however is a totally different story, the guy explodes out of his breaks like he was shot out of a cannon. He also did this little cool drill where someone kept tossing him balls to his right and left and he would catch them with one hand. Over and over and over he would do this.

It looked like Vereen caught a million passes today all over the field. It looks like White can do the same thing - White smoked Mayo a few times today in coverage. Speaking of coverage, the linebackers don't look great in that department.

Dobson was back, he looked rusty, but he didn't appear to be limping. They didn't put him through much...some long routes, a few drills, etc.

Lafell, Thomkins and Boyce are curious studies because none of them really look great. I guess you can't expect them to, but you kind of would like to see it. Thompkins looks the same as last year to me - which isn't bad - but he did have some drops, one in a drill where they get a little physical with your hands to see if you can hold on to it...he didn't. Lafell had some good moments deep...then some not so good ones. I like his size though. Boyce was so up and down that it was ridiculous...caught one...dropped one...on and on.

The receiver from Maine looked pretty good out there (Derrick Johnson)...nice speed, showed some nice hands. I thought the kid Tyms came back to earth today...plenty of drops...plenty of times not getting open. He likes to scream after every bad play he does, he screamed a lot today.

Dennard was out there practicing, that guy is good. He is just so quick and aggressive...receivers were having a hard time finding space against him.

Easley was doing some drills on the other end of the field, he looked like he was moving well.

For some reason Bequette always stands out to me - not because he is a good player - but because he is built like one. They had him playing outside in the 34 in space, he is average per usual.

Chandler Jones is a total goof ball, he likes to play around all the time. He was doing drills with everyone else and he had a football with him - he tossed it to this one and that one - he eventually tossed it to Will Smith, who looked at the thing like...what the hell are you doing? But the kid just looks awesome out there, it all looks so easy to him. He is an effortless athlete.

Revis was called to cover Gronk in his rehab. He had no chance in covering him - maybe he was taking it easy on him - but gronk just can't be covered one on one...bad knee or not. The guy is a total freak. Total freak.

Got a chance to watch Garopollo because Mallett was MIA. The kid can throw the ball...wow nice arm. Great on the deep balls, very accurate, very catchable. He has enough power in his throws and the ball comes out fast. I thought he threw the ball great today. He had one pick, one overthrow (but the guy was not open and he had to get rid of it) and he had one wobbly pass. Other than that he was pretty damn good. He was next to Brady in every drill and he throws the deeper stuff with more accuracy and a better trajectory. The Patriots have got to be pleased with this guy.

[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

[QUOTE]

Basically a lot of 7 on 7's going on...lots of passing...kind of a light practice. Not a lot of contact.

Just like last year Edelman was the best receiver on the field, he is bigger and gets better separation than Amendola and he has more deep speed as well.

Speaking of Amendola, he looked like the second best receiver out there, but he isn't big and he doesn't get open deep - he just doesn't have that type of speed. He doesn't separate real well off pure ability either, it's more technique and quickness. From what I saw the guy just doesn't have a lot of burst...just like last year...Edelman however is a totally different story, the guy explodes out of his breaks like he was shot out of a cannon. He also did this little cool drill where someone kept tossing him balls to his right and left and he would catch them with one hand. Over and over and over he would do this.

It looked like Vereen caught a million passes today all over the field. It looks like White can do the same thing - White smoked Mayo a few times today in coverage. Speaking of coverage, the linebackers don't look great in that department.

Dobson was back, he looked rusty, but he didn't appear to be limping. They didn't put him through much...some long routes, a few drills, etc.

Lafell, Thomkins and Boyce are curious studies because none of them really look great. I guess you can't expect them to, but you kind of would like to see it. Thompkins looks the same as last year to me - which isn't bad - but he did have some drops, one in a drill where they get a little physical with your hands to see if you can hold on to it...he didn't. Lafell had some good moments deep...then some not so good ones. I like his size though. Boyce was so up and down that it was ridiculous...caught one...dropped one...on and on.

The receiver from Maine looked pretty good out there (Derrick Johnson)...nice speed, showed some nice hands. I thought the kid Tyms came back to earth today...plenty of drops...plenty of times not getting open. He likes to scream after every bad play he does, he screamed a lot today.

Dennard was out there practicing, that guy is good. He is just so quick and aggressive...receivers were having a hard time finding space against him.

Easley was doing some drills on the other end of the field, he looked like he was moving well.

For some reason Bequette always stands out to me - not because he is a good player - but because he is built like one. They had him playing outside in the 34 in space, he is average per usual.

Chandler Jones is a total goof ball, he likes to play around all the time. He was doing drills with everyone else and he had a football with him - he tossed it to this one and that one - he eventually tossed it to Will Smith, who looked at the thing like...what the hell are you doing? But the kid just looks awesome out there, it all looks so easy to him. He is an effortless athlete.

Revis was called to cover Gronk in his rehab. He had no chance in covering him - maybe he was taking it easy on him - but gronk just can't be covered one on one...bad knee or not. The guy is a total freak. Total freak.

Got a chance to watch Garopollo because Mallett was MIA. The kid can throw the ball...wow nice arm. Great on the deep balls, very accurate, very catchable. He has enough power in his throws and the ball comes out fast. I thought he threw the ball great today. He had one pick, one overthrow (but the guy was not open and he had to get rid of it) and he had one wobbly pass. Other than that he was pretty damn good. He was next to Brady in every drill and he throws the deeper stuff with more accuracy and a better trajectory. The Patriots have got to be pleased with this guy.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The ONLY reason I still peep this board (bored). Every now and then , hidden among the lil girls crying bustchise or whatever their childish minds take as self worth, you find some one who actually post about the team itself. 

Thank you Sir!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PMacPatFan. Show PMacPatFan's posts

Thanks for the great recap of your Camp Day!!

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Terrific breakdown!  Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.  Sounds like a lot of positive news to me.

[/QUOTE]

MHK