I was wrong about Mankins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I was wrong about Mankins

I have been taking credit for being right about the team, and the defense, so I should take my lumps about this.  I said we shouldn't play him, didn't need him, and should just relegate him to the bench as a lesson about holding out.  Wrong.  He is a MAN out there and the line is playing much better now that he is back.  Don't think we should throw the bank at him, but he is really helping the team, and maybe we should look at that offer again........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from caf. Show caf's posts

Re: I was wrong about Mankins

In Response to Re: I was wrong about Mankins:
    Mankins is a super stud OG in the mold of greats like Hannah and Gene Upshaw, having said that I don't think you have to break the bank for that position. Guards can be lunch pail tough guys if you have stud Tackles.  Offer him a fair deal but if he wants to be the top paid and a ton of years then I hate to say it but move on.
    Posted by DaBlade

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from caf. Show caf's posts

Mankins is a super stud OG in the mold of greats like Hannah and Gene Upshaw, having said that I don't think you have to break the bank for that position. Guards can be lunch pail tough guys if you have stud Tackles.  Offer him a fair deal but if he wants to be the top paid and a ton of years then I hate to say it but move on.
    Posted by DaBlade

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Me to.  The guy is great.  Hope we can resign him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from caf. Show caf's posts

I agree with all you stated except  the statement that Mankins and Upshaw being in the mold of Johan Hannah.  The mold was broke with Hannah, whom most experts agree was the greatest guard, if not be greatest lineman that ever played. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

The knock about Mankins in the draft was durability. Pay him the 7 or 8 M per. the salary cap will go up. the guy is as tough as they come. When that guy pushed him sunday I thought you dont want to be across from him now. Look at how good our running game is getting since he's been back. to say that his play has fallen off the last 2 years I totally disagree with.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nemeses. Show Nemeses's posts

We havn't ran like this since Dillon and we certainly didn't have much of a run game at the start of the season. Sniping Woodhead has certainly helped but would be interesting to see the stats on production before and after Mankins return. The law firm has been lights out the last 3-4 games.

I certainly do smell another superbowl run cookin at the razor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

presumeably a franchise tag will be available to buy time, if neccesary.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

In Response to I was wrong about Mankins:
    I have been taking credit for being right about the team, and the defense, so I should take my lumps about this.  I said we shouldn't play him, didn't need him, and should just relegate him to the bench as a lesson about holding out.  Wrong.  He is a MAN out there and the line is playing much better now that he is back.  Don't think we should throw the bank at him, but he is really helping the team, and maybe we should look at that offer again........
    Posted by Davedsone

I was and still am one of the people who thought that Mankins handled the negotiations badly.  I also still believe that he turned down a very fair contract.  I felt and feel that if he wants to go play for a crappy organization (Raiders, Lions, etc..) for a few more bucks then go for it.  Overpaying for players is one of the reasons those orgs. remain crappy.

I have changed my thoughts a little when he came back early, and when I found out he stayed around town and was not a cancer.

He needs to have a major sit down with Branch.  He might want to get on the phone and talk to Milloy, Law, Woody, Seymour, Glen, McGinist, etc... and ask them what they think about their few more bucks.

The team should stick with basically the same deal they put on the table in the off season.  They could throw him a bone with some performance incentives, on top of that deal, so that he can save face.

The cap will be back next year, and some very tuff decisions will need to be made.  You can't have the highest paid player at very many positions.  We now have Brady and Wilfork who will account for a huge portion of the cap, so having the highest paid guard may be a luxury we will not be able to afford.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

The rookie cap should help us stay high in the draft.  I think.  It's just a crapshoot about even HAVING a season next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

In Response to I was wrong about Mankins:
    Posted by Davedsone

Dave,

I'm right there with you. I STILL think he was wrong and believe he should make it right with Kraft. However, NE is a much better team with him on the line. I think the team as whole has played better since his return and I think his presence helped to ignite the team. I was wrong too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

It's clear to see that our Oline is much improved with Mankins manning the G position. His impact on the Oline is not solely his position, but what he brings in terms of intensity to the players around him. A player that is great and can make others around him play better/up to his level, is a player I would sign long term. We got Vince on the Dline, I think we need Mankins on the Oline.

I think we can come up with enough money to pay him fairly...where both sides win. I think we can come up with the money in part by cutting TBC, restructuring Branch's contract, letting Morris & Taylor go, etc. That should clear more than enough room, plus allow us to sign our next round of draftees.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Well, I stayed silent on this forum when he was sitting.  I don't like hold outs, they are generally bad for the team and I think Revis' hold out in New York is a case that proves the point, all that waiting and brouhaha and for what?  Has Revis made a big difference to the YETS season?  However, I have always like Mankins, he's nasty and he brings that to the Oline and to the game.  His play since his return and the better play of the Oline since his return are the opposite of the Revis effect.  Pay the man the money, same as we did for Wilfork and for similar reasons.

Krafty however, may have other ideas.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Well, I stayed silent on this forum when he was sitting.  I don't like hold outs, they are generally bad for the team and I think Revis' hold out in New York is a case that proves the point, all that waiting and brouhaha and for what?  Has Revis made a big difference to the YETS season?  However, I have always like Mankins, he's nasty and he brings that to the Oline and to the game.  His play since his return and the better play of the Oline since his return are the opposite of the Revis effect.  Pay the man the money, same as we did for Wilfork and for similar reasons. Krafty however, may have other ideas.
    Posted by Dessalines

There's one thing I can't figure out. If you look at the list of highest paid OLs you won't find many playing for teams with winning records. If Mankins would rather trade the chance for a ring or two for an extra 7 mil than there isn't much you can do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The O Line really hasn't improved since Mankins returned.  It's as good as it was since the season started.  Give Connolly some credit.

Light and Koppen are healthy and are playing better in 2010.  This has been big, as compared to last year.

O'Brien and the new offense with Branch has really settled in nicely, so this, too, has also helped.

Mankins is clealry more talented than Connolly, but I don;t see much of a difference (overall in the line play) other than an attitude that Mankins brings.  I think we are at the point where it's up to Mankins after the season ends.

It is a blessing Connolly was there and now fills in seamlessly for Neal.

All this said, I'd like to keep Mankins, but in the end, it's up to him.  Being paid top 3 money to play in NE is a no brainer to really any player at a position.

PLaying in Oakland for 8+ million per year means ol Logie will be playing on a .500 team or worse the rest of his career.

NE has all these draft picks for a reason and bouncing a deal for more than 7 mil per for a Guard is silly.

I'd rather go Guard with one of the first 3 picks in the top 33 and get the same kind of talent, spreading the remaining cash saved out to the free agent market, which will only be better for NE with this rookie cap and shrewd BB money management approach.

BB holds the keys to the car, the beach house and the safe.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm not sure it's about what we pay him now.  He doesn't have to stay.  He will be a totally free agent. I'm not sure under the new CBL if we can franchise him, since he won't actually be with the team under that new CBL.  If he is angry and wants to leave, he will.  Dan Snyder, in his usual fit of stupidity, thinks you can buy the New England Patriots success by buying their players.  He will pay.  Or someone else who is desperate for the kind of fan enthusiasm that a big name free agent brings.  I hope it can be worked out.  I'm pretty sure if we win a Superbowl it would help.  We should try that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I went off on Mankins for being a holdout earlier in the year.  But I was wrong.  All is forgiven now.  I hope the Pats keep him.  But like BBReigns said, it's up to him at this point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Trusting BB will see the "error of OUR ways", in condemning Mankins hold out, after seeing the positive results of the O's overall better play with his return-- and make all possible efforts ( upgraded offer ) to see he stays there.

Sections
Shortcuts