I would bring back Brandon Meriweather

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I would bring back Brandon Meriweather

OK, before you flame my azz let me state my case.

1. He has size.
    2. He has talent.
    3. He can knock your teeth out of your mouth.

He has been immature and undisciplined. Sometimes age can help bring you focus. Hell he’s only 28 years old. Being cut twice may help him refocus and finally decide whether football matters to him or not. I’d take him over Sergio Brown that’s for sure.

No one can deny he has talent. A # 24 pick and he has had his moments. I’m thinking he may come back a wiser and mature man.....perhaps.

OK, flame away.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: I would bring back Brandon Meriweather

No harm bringing him in on a make or break contract if he is willing. I think the S position in the NFL is one of the hardest positions to find excellence. I see nothing in the available free agents that indicates they are Ed Reed part 2. Merri can have a shot at it oh he wants.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Talent?  really?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

He is too stupid and undisciplined to play for this team. When BB would rather have a street scrub than you, there is a severe problem with.... YOU.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

He has the below, you're correct:

1. He has size.
    2. He has talent.
    3. He can knock your teeth out of your mouth.

Unfortunately, he also has:

1. The inability to consistently play within/understand/execute the scheme.
    2. The inability to consistently take solid angles.
    3. The inability to consistently tackle securely or tackle in space.
    4. The inability to consistently play smart football.

Brandon Meriweather will not be back in Foxoboro.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

i prefer sergio brown even

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I prefer to play with ten people, and take penalties all the way down the field than play with a guy like that. Can't win with 'em. Can't play with 'em. Can't do it.

Thanks Mike!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: I would bring back Brandon Meriweather:
    [QUOTE]He has the below, you're correct: He has size. He has talent. He can knock your teeth out of your mouth. Unfortunately, he also has: 1. The inability to consistently play within/understand/execute the scheme. 2. The inability to consistently take solid angles. 3. The inability to consistently tackle securely or tackle in space. 4. The inability to consistently play smart football. Brandon Meriweather will not be back in Foxoboro.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the inability to not take stupid penalties and the inability to not lay teeth shattering hits on his own teammates

I wouldn't take him on the team if he paid us

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

That ship has sailed... Imo they upgrade the safety position with the draft or through FA

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to I would bring back Brandon Meriweather:
    [QUOTE]OK, before you flame my azz let me state my case.   He has size. He has talent. He can knock your teeth out of your mouth.   He has been immature and undisciplined. Sometimes age can help bring you focus. Hell he’s only 28 years old. Being cut twice may help him refocus and finally decide whether football matters to him or not. I’d take him over Sergio Brown that’s for sure.   No one can deny he has talent. A # 24 pick and he has had his moments. I’m thinking he may come back a wiser and mature man.....perhaps.   OK, flame away.  
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

completely disagree with the following:
    1. He has size.
    2. He has talent.
    3. He can knock your teeth out of your mouth

1. He doesn't have size, in fact he's built like an average size corner - he's not that tall or heavy.
    2. He's not overly talented - he never ran an outstanding forty or put up a big bench press (not that that is the way to measure talent - I'm just leaving his poor play out of the equation).
    3. This guy can't knock your teeth out unless he gets a fifty yard head start. For as much an "intimidator" he gets credit for, he bounces off as many guys as he brings down. He almost never would separate the receiver from the ball or cause a running back to fumble. This guy was no Rodney Harrison or even Lawyer Milloy. He couldn't make a tackle to save his life, just because he looked really cool flying through the air with his dreads going all wild on defenseless players, didn't make him a good physical player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

All set with Meriweather. The guy is a terrible football player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]completely disagree with the following: He has size. He has talent. He can knock your teeth out of your mouth 1. He doesn't have size, in fact he's built like an average size corner - he's not that tall or heavy. 2. He's not overly talented - he never ran an outstanding forty or put up a big bench press (not that that is the way to measure talent - I'm just leaving his poor play out of the equation). 3. This guy can't knock your teeth out unless he gets a fifty yard head start. For as much an "intimidator" he gets credit for, he bounces off as many guys as he brings down. He almost never would separate the receiver from the ball or cause a running back to fumble. This guy was no Rodney Harrison or even Lawyer Milloy. He couldn't make a tackle to save his life, just because he looked really cool flying through the air with his dreads going all wild on defenseless players, didn't make him a good physical player.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]
    You've got to admit though, he does do a good head stomp.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jWWC_ozN7E

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Nope, cut by Belichick and then benched by Smith. 

Two defensive minded coaches didn't think he was good enough, he's clearly not doing something right. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

No More,

Respectfully, this is why you're not the Patriots GM. Whew!    :))

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I would bring back Brandon Meriweather : You've got to admit though, he does do a good head stomp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jWWC_ozN7E
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

I forgot about that one! Lets add, the shooting incident (twice), the big bang clock, rap album and the dancing/chest thumping.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

I would be down....he would have been our best safety this year when chung was hurt he actually MADE plays not just tackles. WE NEED PLAYMAKERS.....a little off topic but its true im tired of mayo hes reli average he jsut makes the tackle after 5 yards ie ted johnson we need more b spikes types make tackles at the line and force fumbles, picks in huge situations im tired of people making excuses for mayo n mcourty dmc was worse than merriweather ever was he was THE WORST CB in the nfl this year c mon man

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

He was not a playmaker , not even close. He took terrible angles , couldn't cover , whiffed on tackles and had a low football iq. The couldn't even play in a system tailored to his strengths.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

But but but.... Rusty said he was the 3rd best S in the AFC!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

In response to "Re: I would bring back Brandon Meriweather": [QUOTE]But but but.... Rusty said he was the 3rd best S in the AFC! Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE] LOL 2nd! I bumped the thread and he still wouldn't respond. Oh that's right , he's banned. Again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

lol best "bring back ____" thread in a looooong time. 

Where is the bring back Reche Caldwell thread?

p.s. glad to hear Russ was banned again, he has been insufferable since the Super Bowl loss.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

No. He's a step backward

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats won a lot of games with Merri back there. Rather than draw comps to Rodney, Milloy or Reed and Polomalu, look at Ihedigbo and Brown comps. Merri took poor angles, but who plays safety for the Pats that doesn't? Merri stays on the field every game, hello Mr Chung, and if an be had at low cost, bring him in and lets see if he "gets it". Laron Landry , who I like, can't stay on the field. And will command big dollars. Griffin was let go by the Raiders and now apparently the Titans. S position hard to find stars. BB might want to play matchups like he does at CB. Let's face it, against a run first mentality like the Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Broncos Merri up in the box is like another fast LB. Also capable ST player. Looking at performance and dollars, Pats could do worse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

So, you justify him by saying is, basically, as good as anyone after Chung that was on the roster last year?

You realize that's really not saying anything. The Pats fielded a bunch of street FAs and STers, guys that were drafted in the 100s, if at all.

Fairyweather was a first rounder from a premeire school. He's had every opportunity to show he can play in the NFL and has failed miserably. He couldn't play in a disciplined D, and he couldn't play in the much looser style in CHI. He. Can't. Play.

Let this be (ANOTHER) lesson to all those idiot fathers and uncles who drink all day and think they know anything about football. I don't like the guy, but Merriweather was set up to fail from the time he was a young kid by moronic relatives that he was too young to identify as such.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

I heard Chad Jackson is looking for work too...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]He has the below, you're correct: He has size. He has talent. He can knock your teeth out of your mouth. Unfortunately, he also has: 1. The inability to consistently play within/understand/execute the scheme. 2. The inability to consistently take solid angles. 3. The inability to consistently tackle securely or tackle in space. 4. The inability to consistently play smart football. Brandon Meriweather will not be back in Foxoboro.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Sergio Brown?  Yeah, MB I guess all of the above is why Brandon made a couple of Pro Bowls, right?  He is an all-American from the U and BB liked him well enough to make him our first round pick.  We should bring him back, given the Pats are devoid of talent at the position, IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts