I would take MARONEY over Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson.. wouldnt you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

I would take MARONEY over Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson.. wouldnt you?

as funny as some of u may read this comment, i really would take MARONEY's..... UPSIDE. his future is boundlessly great. he is finally becoming the guy belichick and paoli assumed he would be when he got drafted. the good thing about all the nagging injuries over the years is that his overall body has not had to take all the poundgs of guys like AP and CJ. there are only so many hits these guys can take before they start breaking down noticably like one Mr. Shawn Alexander. maroney is huge with quick feet and a great body type as well as with real explosion, heart, breakaway speed and the rare ability to run over people while keeping his feet moving. he can run between the tackles and outside of it. plus, missing in all these debates, is how great this guy already is in catching the ball and in not having a fumbling reputation.

what some mischaracterize as his "dancing" ability actually helps him in the passing game esp on screens, because it is often about patience in waiting for your blockers to create some space for u to move into. he increasingly has also shown the ability to make big guys miss and some general escapability skills. anyone else notice how much better he has become at picking up the blitz and in his blocking in general? i say by next year mr. Maroney is a productive every-down RB! if he is ever given the same confidence or the same number of carries as a CJ or AP, maroney could be just as productive, if not MORE so! to me, maroney could be an all-time great. beyond AP and CJ, i would take him over the other RBs in the league like Munchkin Ray Rice, "oh my head hurts again" Portis, thomas jones, addai, michael turner, lynch... the only one that really comes close to all the things that LM could do is STEVEN JACKSON! if bill could trade for a RB or pick one over LM, that would be it... of course he would cost u an arm and a leg but perhaps St. louis would make that switch. 

unfortunately, our belichick has demonstrated some issues in developing or maximizg guys like maroney as of late. the odds of him really reaching his potential may end up best with a guy like shanahan (assuming he will get the redskins gig). when he reaches it, he WILL be a HOF type guy with many pro bowls on his resume! just give the man a real chance! the more he plays and runs, the better he gets as he increasingly beats and wears down a frontline!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: I would take MARONEY over Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson.. wouldnt you?

bubba....  your confidence in LM is great, but, WHEN will he finally show what he can REALLY do game in and game out?  A couple great games here and there do not cut it.  He has been in the league a few years and should have figured it out by now.  I know his biggest hindrance has been his proclivity to getting injured.  I can also add, the O-line just hasn't been blocking that well for a consistent running game.  But, Maroney needs to play his part, too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to I would take MARONEY over Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson.. wouldnt you?:
    as funny as some of u may read this comment, i really would take MARONEY. his future is boundlessly great. he is finally becoming the guy belichick and paoli assumed he would be when he got drafted. the good thing about all the nagging injuries over the years is that his overall body has not had to take all the poundgs of guys like AP and CJ. there are only so many hits these guys can take before they start breaking down noticably like one Mr. Shawn Alexander. maroney is huge with quick feet and a great body type as well as with real explosion, heart, breakaway speed and the rare ability to run over people while keeping his feet moving. he can run between the tackles and outside of it. plus, missing in all these debates, is how great this guy already is in catching the ball.  what some mischaracterize as his "dancing" ability actually helps him in the passing game esp on screens, because it is often about patience in waiting for your blockers to create some space for u to move into. he increasingly has also shown the ability to make big guys miss and some general escapability skills. anyone else notice how much better he has become at picking up the blitz and in his blocking in general? i say by next year mr. Maroney is a productive every-down RB! if he is ever given the same confidence or the same number of carries as a CJ or AP, maroney could be just as productive, if not MORE so! unfortunately, our belichick has demonstrated some issues in developing or maximizg guys like maroney as of late. the odds of him really reaching his potential may end up best with a guy like shanahan (assuming he will get the redskins gig). when he reaches it, he WILL be a HOF type guy with many pro bowls on his resume! just give the man a real chance! the more he plays and runs, the better he gets as he increasingly beats and wears down a frontline!
    Posted by bubbazilla

would much rather have peterson or barber...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"I would take MARONEY over Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson.. wouldnt you?"

To do what? Run with a football or stuff envelopes?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

My basic feeling on running backs is that they are a dime a dozen.  Every year the draft puts out about 5 very talented RB's.  Guys come in, have a few great years and get injured.  Thier success seems to have more to do with the O line.  Maroney is good but there are probably 30 other RB's in the league who bring about the same skill set.  Personally, I wouldn't draft a RB in the first round.  Look at those guys that have been dominant AP, Chris Johnson and Turner.  Having a top RB unlike having a top QB does not equal team success.  Off the top of my head here is a list of RB's who have looked excellent at one pointor another the last few years.

Tomlinson
    Sproles
    Turner
    Peterson
    Taylor
    Deangelo Williams
    C Johnson
    Grant
    Hightower
    Ricky Williams
    Ronnie Brown
    Thomas Jones
    Marion Barber
    Marshawn Lynch
    Brandon Jacobs
    Larry Johnson
    Brian Westbrook
    Jones (dallas)
    Jones-Drew
    fred Taylor
    F. Gore
    Clinton Portis
    K. Smith
    J Stewart
    Addai
    Parker
    Benson
    Ray Rice
    There are probably more.  I think Johnson is the best followed by AP but I don't think they would be as good on the Pats as they are now.  I'm happy with Maroney but if he goes the Pats can just pick up a 2nd round guy or free agent cheaply that can do the same thing.  But I see your point on how much damage these RB's take with all the carries, I would still take Johnson if money was not a factor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maineeac. Show Maineeac's posts

Hell, no.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

In Response to Re: I would take MARONEY over Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson.. wouldnt you?:
    bubba....  your confidence in LM is great, but, WHEN will he finally show what he can REALLY do game in and game out?  A couple great games here and there do not cut it.  He has been in the league a few years and should have figured it out by now.  I know his biggest hindrance has been his proclivity to getting injured.  I can also add, the O-line just hasn't been blocking that well for a consistent running game.  But, Maroney needs to play his part, too!
    Posted by agcsbill
    perhaps if pats choose to design a strategy where they went to LM 25 times for bak to bak games, he would have a shot. pats are too schizophrenic in their game strategies. the running game demands repetition to keep it going at peak form. this game in buffalo demands that we see what maroney can STILL do. those of us with longer memories can remember LM producing very well when given  a similar opportunity at the end of 2007 as the weather changed. he had a series of 100 yard games and was clearly moving into elite status til he hurt his shoulder. right now, he is clearly bak to that stature, plus his MO has been that he doesnt fumble. give the man the rock again and again with conviction! then throw it to him a few times too! kevin faulk or morris can be a traditional bakup RB, no more rotational nonsense!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

im one of the few who likes Maroney.  but he is not better than AD or CJ. 

i agree if we give him 20-25 carries a game, i can see:

1250 yards, 10 TDs.  good runningback, but not great.  still i want to see him get theball more and take the pressure off Brady who is clearly hurt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to I would take MARONEY over Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson.. wouldnt you?:
    as funny as some of u may read this comment, i really would take MARONEY's..... UPSIDE. his future is boundlessly great. he is finally becoming the guy belichick and paoli assumed he would be when he got drafted. the good thing about all the nagging injuries over the years is that his overall body has not had to take all the poundgs of guys like AP and CJ. there are only so many hits these guys can take before they start breaking down noticably like one Mr. Shawn Alexander. maroney is huge with quick feet and a great body type as well as with real explosion, heart, breakaway speed and the rare ability to run over people while keeping his feet moving. he can run between the tackles and outside of it. plus, missing in all these debates, is how great this guy already is in catching the ball and in not having a fumbling reputation. what some mischaracterize as his "dancing" ability actually helps him in the passing game esp on screens, because it is often about patience in waiting for your blockers to create some space for u to move into. he increasingly has also shown the ability to make big guys miss and some general escapability skills. anyone else notice how much better he has become at picking up the blitz and in his blocking in general? i say by next year mr. Maroney is a productive every-down RB! if he is ever given the same confidence or the same number of carries as a CJ or AP, maroney could be just as productive, if not MORE so! to me, maroney could be an all-time great. beyond AP and CJ, i would take him over the other RBs in the league like Munchkin Ray Rice, "oh my head hurts again" Portis, thomas jones, addai, michael turner, lynch... the only one that really comes close to all the things that LM could do is STEVEN JACKSON! if bill could trade for a RB or pick one over LM, that would be it... of course he would cost u an arm and a leg but perhaps St. louis would make that switch.  unfortunately, our belichick has demonstrated some issues in developing or maximizg guys like maroney as of late. the odds of him really reaching his potential may end up best with a guy like shanahan (assuming he will get the redskins gig). when he reaches it, he WILL be a HOF type guy with many pro bowls on his resume! just give the man a real chance! the more he plays and runs, the better he gets as he increasingly beats and wears down a frontline!
    Posted by bubbazilla

Four years hasn't been "a real chance"?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I actually like Maroney and the fact that he seeeems to be getting it together now. 

After reading about his weekly meetings with BB, I see why he's been improving and getting it together.  Hopefully the meetings with BB continue and he continues to improve.  If he can be a 20-25 carry per game RB that can average 4-5 yards per carry, then i'd say it'll be worth it to keep him around until a better one comes to Foxboro.  I'd really like to see the potential of a healthy Maroney-Taylor 1-2 punch.  If those guys could stay healthy and run hard, it would really do a LOT of good for the offense I think.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slapointe1232. Show slapointe1232's posts

I'm from Minnesota so I've seen a lot of AP. What separates AP from a guy like Maroney is AP fights every single carry for every single yard he can possibly get.  This can be good or bad. It's good because half the time he finds some way to break a tackle and gain an extra 20 yards in a play that has you thinking "Now, how on earth did he do that?" the bad side is this also leads to more fumbles. Personally, I think Peterson is better. Already over 1,000 yards rushing even with Favre and that dynamic pass game.  Peterson has never had a season with under 1,000 yards rushing.  I hope Maroney will someday turn into a dominating back, but for now, I'm sticking with Peterson.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Ahhh no and thanks for the laugh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

as funny as some of u may read this comment, i really would take MARONEY's..... UPSIDE. his future is boundlessly great. he is finally becoming the guy belichick and paoli assumed he would be when he got drafted. the good thing about all the nagging injuries over the years is that his overall body has not had to take all the poundgs of guys like AP and CJ. there are only so many hits these guys can take before they start breaking down noticably like one Mr. Shawn Alexander. maroney is huge with quick feet and a great body type as well as with real explosion, heart, breakaway speed and the rare ability to run over people while keeping his feet moving. he can run between the tackles and outside of it. plus, missing in all these debates, is how great this guy already is in catching the ball and in not having a fumbling reputation. what some mischaracterize as his "dancing" ability actually helps him in the passing game esp on screens, because it is often about patience in waiting for your blockers to create some space for u to move into. he increasingly has also shown the ability to make big guys miss and some general escapability skills. anyone else notice how much better he has become at picking up the blitz and in his blocking in general? i say by next year mr. Maroney is a productive every-down RB! if he is ever given the same confidence or the same number of carries as a CJ or AP, maroney could be just as productive, if not MORE so! to me, maroney could be an all-time great. beyond AP and CJ, i would take him over the other RBs in the league like Munchkin Ray Rice, "oh my head hurts again" Portis, thomas jones, addai, michael turner, lynch... the only one that really comes close to all the things that LM could do is STEVEN JACKSON! if bill could trade for a RB or pick one over LM, that would be it... of course he would cost u an arm and a leg but perhaps St. louis would make that switch.  unfortunately, our belichick has demonstrated some issues in developing or maximizg guys like maroney as of late. the odds of him really reaching his potential may end up best with a guy like shanahan (assuming he will get the redskins gig). when he reaches it, he WILL be a HOF type guy with many pro bowls on his resume! just give the man a real chance! the more he plays and runs, the better he gets as he increasingly beats and wears down a frontline!
    Posted by bubbazilla

Whatever type of medication you are currently taking? Cut the dosage fast! The next thing you will be saying is that Matt Light is the best offensive lineman in the league as of now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]as funny as some of u may read this comment, i really would take MARONEY's..... UPSIDE. his future is boundlessly great. he is finally becoming the guy belichick and paoli assumed he would be when he got drafted. the good thing about all the nagging injuries over the years is that his overall body has not had to take all the poundgs of guys like AP and CJ. 

There's a lot of Bubba's out there but only one Bubbazilla!

I don't think Maroney has any "Upside". What you see is what you get with this guy.I don't think he's horrible this year and for the first time he hasn't been injured but I wouldn't break the bank to keep him here. Personally my favorite running back to watch is Marion Barber.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

People forget that AP overcame an injury while in college and yet, he ran for 98 very tough yards against Bitchburgh. He is the best all-around football player in the league (this includes Brady, Manning and Brees.....none of whom could take the hits AP gets and last more than two years). AP is the real deal. Johnson is extremely quick, but they have Lendale White to move the pile. AP can move the pile, shuck and juke and be a finesse runner. If the Patriots had him, nearly all our problems on offense would disappear.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Posted by bubbazilla

Check with last school you attended. Maybe its not too late to get a refund.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Your a loser, Im sorry. But u must enjoy punishment. RB is prob. the most easy postion to jump from college to the pros, He hasnt had more than 850. Thats not because of the way BB use's him, its because LM actually thought U got points for running into Neil's BUTT. Ive never heard such a stupid thought, and I lived the 2nd Bush's presidency's. Im an only child and understand the need for attetntion, but there are much better ways to get that. Like pretending U have cancer and going to a support group, hold a room full of unsuspecting people hostage, or a adopt a child from a 3rd world country. Those are far more ethicical n make far more sense than to create a post saying something as bat$hit crazy as u just did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

R we really having this convo. The o-line, the way BB uses him, he doesnt get that many touches. really this is nuts, im sorry but there has to be a veto button, handgun, or really big stick to stop this nonsense. U dont sound smart for taking a minority stand, just really, really foolish. For as long as Im on here I will remember bubbazilla the db, who said Id rather have phoney baloney over CJ or AD. And I dont wanna hear I was drunk or high, or I was listening to Fox News, no excuse moron, U said it, U live w/ it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

No . . . Peterson and Johnson are better runners right now.  But LM deserves a lot of credit for taking coaching and getting consistently better this season.  I was ready to see him benched early in the season, but his running style has changed significantly over the past seven or eight games.  He's much more decisive (and still patient when it makes sense to be patient), he's running more downhill, and he's not dancing sideways like he used to.  He was a liability early in the season--but now he's one of the Pats' top offensive weapons. He deserves credit for working hard to get better -- and if he can keep moving in the direction he's been moving, he'll be a top-quality NFL running back like we all hoped he would.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

In Response to Re: I would take MARONEY over Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson.. wouldnt you?:
    R we really having this convo. The o-line, the way BB uses him, he doesnt get that many touches. really this is nuts, im sorry but there has to be a veto button, handgun, or really big stick to stop this nonsense. U dont sound smart for taking a minority stand, just really, really foolish. For as long as Im on here I will remember bubbazilla the db, who said Id rather have phoney baloney over CJ or AD. And I dont wanna hear I was drunk or high, or I was listening to Fox News, no excuse moron, U said it, U live w/ it.
    Posted by SICOFITALL
    even belichick has said on a few occasions that part of the reason the run  game has been tough is because they simply do not have blockers to create holes consistently in the run game. they are far betta at protectg the qb, what the pats prioritize. in time, if they go bak to prioritzg the run, they will put vollmer and other of that type out there, which will allow maroney to maximize his talents. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

Your a loser, Im sorry. But u must enjoy punishment. RB is prob. the most easy postion to jump from college to the pros, He hasnt had more than 850. Thats not because of the way BB use's him, its because LM actually thought U got points for running into Neil's BUTT. Ive never heard such a stupid thought, and I lived the 2nd Bush's presidency's. Im an only child and understand the need for attetntion, but there are much better ways to get that. Like pretending U have cancer and going to a support group, hold a room full of unsuspecting people hostage, or a adopt a child from a 3rd world country. Those are far more ethicical n make far more sense than to create a post saying something as bat$hit crazy as u just did.
    Posted by SICOFITALL
    dude, can u read? i clearly stated that i was talking UPSIDE.maroney did prove what he could do during his first year when he consistently outshined corey dillon and again in late 2007 when he had a string of 100 yard games with a high yard per carry average. point of my post is about the immeduate future. at this very moment, if u put a gun to my head and told me to pik a RB.. i would go with steven jakson followed by CJ (doesnt fumble as much as AP) then AP with maroney at the middle of the road of starting RBs. those are facts as based on now. but as with vollmer, u can see the skill and promise. i believe if bb bases the offense around MORONEY and does everythg that comes with that in terms of protection and lots of consecutive carries, he will be netter than those guys as early as NEXT year! thats my opinion, its not fact as of now! so what? this is a speculative and opinionated board!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Posted by bubbazilla

Lol! are you on drugs? Please allow me to enlighten you to the fact that when a guy has suffered numerous injuries over his career, that it does in fact mean that his body has taken a pounding. There is no difference between the two, both have the effect of limiting/shortening careers.  In terms of Maroney's effectiveness, I rate him as mediocre at best. 

Worst of all, Maroney knows that he's been mediocre as well, because if he didn't there would not be all these excuses and promises that he'll be better the next game etc...  Maroney is strictly a north-south runner that unfortunatley runs with his upper body being too high. Furthermore, he tends to go down way too easily.  Sure  you might point out how he has fought for extra yards during a few games this season, but the thing is that it was just a few games.  This is not his rookie season, and there is a track record with this guy, and it leaves a lot to be desired if you ask me.

I think that you give this guy way too much credit because he plays for the Pats.  I'm willing to bet if Maroney played for some other team like the Dolphins, Jets, Colts etc..., that you'd be really down on the guy.  There is a huge difference in talent with guys like Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson & Steven Jackson over someone like a Maroney.   Maroney is decent, he puts up okay stats given the amount of carries that he gets but that's it.  The reason he has a limited number of carries has to do with his lack of effectiveness along with the realization that with this guy, he's an injury waiting to happen, as he's demonstrated repeatedly throughout his career.

I apologize for the drug comment above (maybe that was a little harsh).  However, Moroney is definately a 2nd or 3rd tier RB, whereas the other RB's that you mentioned are the elite 1st tier RB's.  Big difference! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

In Response to I would take MARONEY over Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson.. wouldnt you? : Lol! are you on drugs? Please allow me to enlighten you to the fact that when a guy has suffered numerous injuries over his career, that it does in fact mean that his body has taken a pounding. There is no difference between the two, both have the effect of limiting/shortening careers.  In terms of Maroney's effectiveness, I rate him as mediocre at best.  Worst of all, Maroney knows that he's been mediocre as well, because if he didn't there would not be all these excuses and promises that he'll be better the next game etc...  Maroney is strictly a north-south runner that unfortunatley runs with his upper body being too high. Furthermore, he tends to go down way too easily.  Sure  you might point out how he has fought for extra yards during a few games this season, but the thing is that it was just a few games.  This is not his rookie season, and there is a track record with this guy, and it leaves a lot to be desired if you ask me. I think that you give this guy way too much credit because he plays for the Pats.  I'm willing to bet if Maroney played for some other team like the Dolphins, Jets, Colts etc..., that you'd be really down on the guy.  There is a huge difference in talent with guys like Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson & Steven Jackson over someone like a Maroney.   Maroney is decent, he puts up okay stats given the amount of carries that he gets but that's it.  The reason he has a limited number of carries has to do with his lack of effectiveness along with the realization that with this guy, he's an injury waiting to happen, as he's demonstrated repeatedly throughout his career. I apologize for the drug comment above (maybe that was a little harsh).  However, Moroney is definately a 2nd or 3rd tier RB, whereas the other RB's that you mentioned are the elite 1st tier RB's.  Big difference! 
    Posted by angel3781
    i respect your opinion but i think the problem is the flawed offensive line (cant block for the run consistently) then it is LM. even belichick has admitted as much. when u always have to create your own holes, tough to be great. get a first tier run blockg oL and u will get a first tier LM. 

heres the final word: if the AINTS had LM tonight, they are 14-0!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

pass the pipe please - I want whatever you're smoking, clearly it is superior to what I have going.

Sections
Shortcuts