Ideas for scheduling an 18 game season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Ideas for scheduling an 18 game season?

personally, i have been against the 18 game schedule for a while now, but it seems like it is an inevitability at this point.  the question is, where will those 2 extra games come from?  for those who arent aware, the schedule is written as follows:

6 division games
    4 games against a same conference division on a rotating basis
    4 games against an opposite conference division on a rotating basis
    2 games against same conference teams that finished in the same place in their division (ie first plays first, second plays second, etc.)

could the additional two games be used to develop some inter-conference rivalries?  what if the pats were paired with their nfc eastern counterparts each year?  the 1 and 2 teams from each div would play eachother, while the 3 and 4 teams would do the same.  in years where we already played the nfc east (every four years under the current format), we would end up playing 6 games against them, enhancing the rivalry further.

anyone else got any suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Ideas for scheduling an 18 game season?

Don't.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

In Response to Re: Ideas for scheduling an 18 game season?:
    [QUOTE]How ever they make it to 18 games, its going to be tough on the players.The only fair way to add 2 extra games and try and keep players healthy is to have each team play 6 games and have the whole league take a bye week until the 18 games are played.This will give the players 2 Byes during the season and everyone will have the same weeks off.   P.S.  can't stand the Pats having an early bye this year BTW
    Posted by leatherhelmet[/QUOTE]

my original idea a few weeks ago was to get rid of two preseason games add a bye week and 1 additional game, but i like this idea alot too.  perhaps not both bye weeks at the same time, but eveyone getting a break would really help the players out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

i hope the 18 game season never happens. alot of these players can't make it to 10 games. they don't need the extra 2 games of beat down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Leave the regular season schedule at 16!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

6 division games, 4 with an AFC division, 4 with an NFC division, 4 with other teams with the same rank (first place within division, second place, third place, fourth place). 

2 bye weeks, staggered, so that teams are always generating NFL advertising revenue.

Have three player development positions on an expanded practice squad for rookies only.  This would make the later rounds of the draft more realistic, not a crap shoot for positions that require a long apprenticeship.  The three player development slots disappear as of weeks 9, 12 and 15, and the rookies must either be absorbed into the team, traded or released.  Over a long season, almost every team loses players to injured reserve. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plastics017. Show Plastics017's posts

This is all about Roger Goodell (whom I hate by the way) trying to make more money and get the NFL more influence.  I dont agree with 18 games - I think it will be too much on the players.... would I watch?   Yes, I would, but I dont like the idea.  Here's an idea - maybe they should increase the amount of time the actual game is played, say instead of 15 minute quarters they make them 18 minutes or something.  An extra 3 minutes per quarter is 12 minutes per game, times 16 games is an extra 192 minutes of advertising availability (per season).  192 minutes divided by the now 72 minute long game - would actually equal out over the entire season roughly 2.6 more games.... Doesnt seem like a bad idea, considering the players wouldnt have to practice for an additional two weeks, either in the hot summer or cold winter (depending upon if they add the extra games to the beginning or end of the season, or both).  BUT, the league would get the additional game time advertising they're after...  HMMM...  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Don't.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself, there should be a fan uprising against this!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

i think there may be a comprise though and we'll get a 17th game, which will all be neutral sight games. preseason will be 3 games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Don't.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

Second that, wait someone already did... thrice

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

flutie66>>> Not only the problem of where the 2 games are going to coming from there is the question of when? End of August or January. Cryazz Polian will insist that his Colts not play anyone in the South in August and no-one in the North in January.