If Brady goes down we’re Doomed.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: If Brady goes down we’re Doomed.

In response to russgriswold's comment:

How can anyone judge a QB when he's playing with a mish mash of 2nd and 3rd stringers on the O Line?

It's like some of our fans have never watched a preseason game before and can't figure out how to analyze.

The judging of Mallet should be when he's with the 1st unit (which hopefully comes next game and more so in GAmes 3 and 4) early in the game, so we can judge appropriately.

It's kind of stupid to pretend Brady should get first class protection, time and weaponry and then pretend Mallett should look great without that same context.

I thought Mallett looked solid considering the circumstances. Some nice throws, some bad ones and some improvement needed on touch.

How can anyone judge a QB when playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers? Well easily actually, seeing how he is going against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Watched Brady do it in his rookie year - played behind a god awful line, under pressure and rolled out and totally nailed nailed a 40 yard crossing pattern against Detroit. Then threw a beautiful out, in the face of pressure. The next year he came in and embarrassed Carolin's vaunted D - the rest is history.

I hope Mallett is everything you dream in your head that he is, but I've seen him play in 9 preseason games now and he's not looked like anything more than a backup, late round pick in any of them. Now ten years ago Brady was out there playing with draft busts Adrian Klemm and JR Redmond and he did fine.

Hey maybe next year Cleveland will give us the 7th overrall pick for Mallett, seeing how it didn't happen this year like you predicted? LOL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Actually, I'm comfortable with Mallett and Tebow as back-ups. Do you think that the Pats QB situation would be in better shape, had they had instead selected a QB prospect like Matt Brakley, Ryan Nassib, or Tyler Wilson at #91? One of the reasons that the Pats didn't draft a QB is likely because they had planned to sign Tim Tebow, the minute that he was released by the Jets.

I agree with your assessment. My tongue-in-cheek answer earlier was probably a bit too puerile. What I meant was that the Patriots have been preparing a succession plan but it does not envision a Brady-like superstar QB replacement. In my opinion, they have to build a team that will be fine with a Mallett, who will hand off a lot more than Brady, won't have an accelerated game plan, and won't be in shotgun as much. Mallett has a heck of an arm but needs to mentally slow himself down and mature as a decision-maker. That will come. He actually looks pretty good to me but suffers from people comparing him to Brady. As you said, TP, compared to alternatives like Barkley, Nassib or Wilson, he looks pretty good. And, from his own draft class, he may not be a Kaepernick or have Newton's running game, but he stacks up pretty good against Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, or Dalton, who were all drafted before him. We'll see how it goes but it's hyperbole to say "if Brady goes down, we are Doomed." 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"but it's hyperbole to say "if Brady goes down, we are Doomed.""

Agree, it's pure sensationalism for entertainment sakes and to gauge the fringe response.  I do it all the time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Nice to see the mods protecting TCa, the troll today by deleting my counter points and swiftly slapping his irrational and childish/trollish reactions to a preseason game with a makeshift O Line of 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Look at the bright side, they didn't ban you again dumbkoff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Mallet proved last night he isn’t a legitimate backup and Tebow showed why Ryan wouldn’t even let him get on the field last year.

I hope BB is making phone calls this morning in search of another QB to bring to camp.

Yo TCAL, Yeah, you got a valid point! But then again, you got a valid point NO MATTER WHO FILLS IN FOR TOMMY. See Tom, the guy who scored Gisselle, and has 3-rings already with some MVPs and a lifetime supply of UGGs is not lkely to be replaced by anyone who can match what he brings, TOTAL PACKAGE.

Now, having said that, I really believe that Mallet, given some real NFL action and a chance to build genuine confidence has what it takes to be a solid, if not a very good repalcement for TB. He is better than Cassel IMHO. Poor Mallet has been told his whole career that he's Tommy's back-up. No matter how much he says to himself, "Well that's Tom Brady, I should feel good about this!", he can only think to himself, "I'M NOT GOOD ENOUGH". That is reality. As such if he knows the job is his if he performs, then that changes everything. He fits BB's scheme perfectly. Like I think it was Wozz who said it earlier, "Mallet needs to take some sauce off of his fastball once in a while." And as HOTBLITZ mentioned, 'TB is a once in lifetime QB'. Bottom line, given real confidence, Mallet will settle in just fine, if needed to step in, and if Cassel can do as well as he did when TB went down, then I believe tha Mallet certainly can too. AND, the team that Mallet will inherit may very well be the most talented we've had in a very, very long time......I say, enjoy the season, because we are gonna roll! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I wouldn't judge Mallet on one outing where the line wasn't doing him any favors. And unlike many experts here, I wouldn't judge TT for the same reasons.

But without a doubt, if Brady goes down, we're screwed.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"I say, enjoy the season, because we are gonna roll!"

19-0 BABY!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

"I say, enjoy the season, because we are gonna roll!"

19-0 BABY!!

AMEN! 14-2 is what I think, but I'm wanting 19-0 as badly as anyone! I still got open wounds over 2007.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Now, having said that, I really believe that Mallet, given some real NFL action and a chance to build genuine confidence has what it takes to be a solid, if not a very good repalcement for TB. He is better than Cassel IMHO.

Better than Cassel? That isn't saying much.

I see Mallet as a Bledsoe type at best. He relies far too much on the big arm and that mindset gets you into trouble. I doubt he will ever come close to taking care of the ball like Brady does. If you don't take care of the ball as a QB, you're going to lose far too frequently.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For all the haters TT is here to stay! I know all you wanna be HC's have already cut him! Surprise is none of you guys are named Bill Belichick!!! Look you don't like him I get that, is he as terrible as you think he is? Probably not. He has Josh McD's ear and that's all he needs. He offers a different type of dimension offensively, he can run an efficient pistol type offense or what they are calling the read and react offense. Should he ever get the knack of throwing from the pocket down to a science,you have a complete QB at that point. Right now he is one dimentional, a Running QB. No biggie since they have installed his own playbook, I'm guessing that they like what they see in him. Also it saves a spot on the PS for another player by having him on the 53. Well yall can go back to hating now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Now, having said that, I really believe that Mallet, given some real NFL action and a chance to build genuine confidence has what it takes to be a solid, if not a very good repalcement for TB. He is better than Cassel IMHO.

I see Mallet as a Bledsoe type at best. He relies far too much on the big arm and that mindset gets you into trouble. I doubt he will ever come close to taking care of the ball like Brady does. If you don't take care of the ball as a QB, you're going to lose far too frequently.

NO argument here. But until we see Mallet as THE STARTER we are simply assuming based on a very small sample size while he is playing with mostly 2nd and 3rd unit guys around him and no real chance to prove himself or build needed confidence in his game. Honestly, I hope for all of our sake, including Mallet's, that Tom plays another 2-3 years as a star and we don't have to transition to any other QB. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It's hard to come up with a contending team that remains a serious threat with their backup QB. The closest thing in recent years was SF last year, where they'd still have been a title contender with Smith. 

I can't think of one now, but then again I'm not familiar with all the backup QBs out there. Washington with Cousins maybe? He's looked decent when he's been in there. 

I would say the Pats have one of the better backup situations that I'm aware of. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

It's hard to come up with a contending team that remains a serious threat with their backup QB. The closest thing in recent years was SF last year, where they'd still have been a title contender with Smith. 

I can't think of one now, but then again I'm not familiar with all the backup QBs out there. Washington with Cousins maybe? He's looked decent when he's been in there. 

I would say the Pats have one of the better backup situations that I'm aware of. 

And I absolutely agree. Sure there are better starters in the NFL than what we have in Mallet on the surface, but can you find a second string QB who intimately knows the complxities of a Josh McD and BB Offense? I think we just don't obsess over "waht ifs" and be thankful that we have what looks to be an ALL WORLD O-Line to protect our TB!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Mallet proved last night he isn’t a legitimate backup and Tebow showed why Ryan wouldn’t even let him get on the field last year.

I hope BB is making phone calls this morning in search of another QB to bring to camp.

You may be right. Mallet is not the answer. I'd like to see Tebow get some more playing time. I do llike that run aspect he brings.

But  I think we need a more seasoned backup. Could've got hasselback or maybe eeven Cassell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In 2008 cassel was so bad I was surprised he wasnt cut. Mallet needs a chance to get in a rhythm.  every time he starts, there's a deflection for an int or a dropped pass.  When he settled he looked ok IMHO   

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

[QUOTE]

Rules to maximize enjoyment in the present for a diehard fan:

1. I am going to focus on, and enjoy/savor, this and the next couple of seasons with Brady at the height of his skills and experience from an illustrious career.

2. I won't measure his back-ups against the Brady yardstick and settle for a mere mortal quarterback, one who needs everyone on offense to play their roles with greater precision and reliability.

3. I will hope for a gradual strengthening of defense to help keep the opposition off the field rather than the bend-but-not-break that we have been able to live with while we have a prolific scoring machine in Brady. Time horizon: 3 years.

4. I will also hope for a much stronger running game that takes an increasing burden off Brady this year and lengthens his career (and my enjoyment).

5. I will not give in to the reptilian part of my brain by dreaming up worst-case scenarios and then stressing out about them with flights of fancy. I will use my frontal lobe more often.

[/QUOTE]

Brilliant post! Well done sir.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good comparison. 

I think mallett is a decent backup. He needs more reps in live game action. I really hope bb uses him a bit more in the regular season if we are in A blowout situation either way. That is the only way he progresses.

i also agree that we shouldn't measure mallett using Brady as a yardstick. Brady is special. not many compare. Mallett has the physical tools. He needs to get his brain working and slow the game down mentally so his monster arm doesn't take over. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wait a min, you are telling me if we lose a top 3 all-time QB we are screwed? I'm shocked, shocked we don't have another all time great right behind him ready to go. I mean every team has an all-time great currently leading their team and 3 more behind them ready to take over. Maybe we should trade next years 1st for one of their backups. I think we have bigger things to concern ourselves with, like no one behind Arrington....

Face it T-Cal, if Brady goes down there is currently no one on the market or available for trade that we wouldn't say we were screwed so why not just go in with Mallett and use the extra 53man spot for some depth at DT or CB?

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Great question. Leftwich seems to be the only guy available.  Looks like he's had a decent completion % over the years but had a lot of INT's the couple of years.  We know Tebow offers nothing so why not give Lefty a look?  That is if he's not coming off a major injury.

I would trade my left one not to sign Leftwich... we're better off with the unknown.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Overreacting in my opinion. Mallet didn't light the world on fire but he was far from bad. Every qb has his share of overthrown passes and such, just as long as he doesn't butt fumble. 

If a vet is signed it should come at the expense of Tebow. I'm comfortable with Mallet as the #2. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

If the Earth crashes into Mars, we're all screwed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

"but it's hyperbole to say "if Brady goes down, we are Doomed.""

Agree, it's pure sensationalism for entertainment sakes and to gauge the fringe response.  I do it all the time.

Indeed you do, sir, and I trust, in this case, that it elicited the level of response you sought.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

The funny thing is I remember when alot of people said the same thing when Bledsoe went down.Its an unknown factor till it comes to real time play.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

How are the Packers if Rogers goes down? How are the Broncos if Peyton goes gown? How are the Saints if Brees goes down? How are the Niners if Kapernick goes down? Seahawks if Wison goes down, Redskins if RGIII goes down, Giants if Eli goes down, Steelers if Rothlisberger goes down, Ravens if Flacco goes down??? If you lose a top QB, chances are your team is not going to be as good. I can image what this message board would have looked like when Drew Bledsoe got hurt... OMG, our franchise QB is out. We are screwed... But watching a guy for 10 minutes of a preseason game does not mean he can't and wont be able to perform if needed. Cassel showed that. And, in case you forgot, this is how Tom Brady got his chance...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

In 2008 cassel was so bad I was surprised he wasnt cut. Mallet needs a chance to get in a rhythm.  every time he starts, there's a deflection for an int or a dropped pass.  When he settled he looked ok IMHO   

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

Yeah good point. I've thought that for the most part he has looked like a backup QB (which is what he is), although with a world class arm. I would like to see him play an entire game...get into a groove, build some momentum, etc. I will say he is not doing a spetacular job - those batted down passes, a throw behind Edelman, missing a wide open Boyce in the endzone are his fault. You can't do that no matter how little you are playing - the guy gets plenty of practice reps - and it's his 9th preseason game.

Still I'm not ready to write him off just yet, arms like that don't grow on trees. He's got an arm like Bledsoe with better feet, he probably could develop into something more than decent with time.