If drafting Solder means bye bye time for Matt Light.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: If drafting Solder means bye bye time for Matt Light.....

I'd rather keep Light and Kaczur than give megabucks to Mankins.  Light's been protecting Brady for a decade, better to let the rookie learn behind him for a year than put him out there day one.  And Kaczur is a big dude who can probably play guard just as well as Logan.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I think BB will offer Mankins whatever he feels is justified and not a penny more, regardless of the Light situation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

How much do you want to pay Mankins?

You know the Pats won't do it. The money he's getting under the franchise tag is about the limit of what the Pats are likely to ever offer. 

Light will be here next year and so will Kaczur. The year after though may be a different story. 

It pains me to see people trying to find hope where there is none as far as Mankins is concerned. We got him one more year. Enjoy it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: If drafting Solder means bye bye time for Matt Light.....:
    [QUOTE]I'd rather keep Light and Kaczur than give megabucks to Mankins.  Light's been protecting Brady for a decade, better to let the rookie learn behind him for a year than put him out there day one.  And Kaczur is a big dude who can probably play guard just as well as Logan.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty optimistic evaluation considering Logan is an All-Pro.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Cannon.  I believe it gives the pats some negotiation room, and also some leverage, for the mankins deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I think Kazcur is gone.  Light is likely gone.  Mankins is probably 50 50, even with the franchise tag.  They may trade him rather than let him sit out.  The franchise tag may also disappear...We may very well be seeing Volmer, cannon, connolly, Koppen, and solder this next year...would certainly free up some $...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Kaczur is a back-up RT. I dont' even think he is starting material in the NFL. He's gettign paid way to much to back-up, so I think if anyone goes, it will be him.

I think the Pats will pay, but for certain positions. NT on our defense is basically where it all begins, so resigning Vince was a priority. Same for Seymour when he was here, plus Seymour was a #6 pick, and DE's like him don't come along every day, not even in this year's draft which was supposedly deep at the position. None of these kids could hold a candle to Seymour, not at least when he was in his prime and getting paid the big bucks.

In the end, I hope Mankins is resigned, but I'll be just as happy if he plays out this year without sitting, allowoing Cannon to develop and possibly move inside taking over for Mankins if he doesn't return. We also have Wendell to step in and play G or C. He played both at Fresno State and could probably step in in a pinch, but i'm not sure he is someoe I want starting at C.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If drafting Solder means bye bye time for Matt Light..... : That's a pretty optimistic evaluation considering Logan is an All-Pro.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I'm actually for bringing KAzcur back ... he provides experience and depth at two positions. 

However, letting Mank go would be silly. If NE has the slightest inclination to run this power offense they have been shifting toward ... losing the best power offensive lineman they possess would be foolhardy.

Mankins visibly transformed this offensive line last season when he returned.

Vollmer
    Mankins
    Koppen
    Cannon
    Solder

That's a massive line that, dare I say it, could pound the rock against anyone and looks a lot more like the type of lines NE ran during the first part of the decade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I expect Light to be on the roster one more year. Light has experience and that is still important. Also Solder has to work on his ablity to block in the NFL running game. Needs to training.

I hope they have Kazcur for depth. He might make a decent guard and a good backup tackle as well. But he is expendable especially if we have Mankins even for one more year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If drafting Solder means bye bye time for Matt Light..... :Vollmer Mankins Koppen Cannon Solder That's a massive line that, dare I say it, could pound the rock against anyone and looks a lot more like the type of lines NE ran during the first part of the decade.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

With a line of this size,  could the defender find Woody?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If drafting Solder means bye bye time for Matt Light..... : With a line of this size,  could the defender find Woody?
    Posted by patswirelessfan[/QUOTE]

I actually mentioned that in another Solder thread. It is really interesting too, because one of Vereen's hugest strengths on film is his ability to sort of hide behind his blockers. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]No way Kazcur is just as good as Mankins thats just a way for you to excuse not paying Mankins and its bull sh*t. I agree on Light to an extent cause I love Matt Light. So it would be nice to have him compete with Light and then maybe move Light inside if need be but in the real I would say that left tackles unlike say WR's or CB's can be thrown right into the mix, the best tackles can play right away and I think Solder would be better off starting from day 1 then sitting out the year. But the CBA crap could be the difference as if he cant get to OTA's or training camp to get his strength up they will need Light. I understand some people dont want to resign Mankins cause you dont want to pay anyone big money so I get that but I personally like Mankins and think if they could free up the extra money by say cutting Kazcur and resign mankins with that extra money they should go for it and have the best o line in football.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

That's one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever read on this forum

Kazcur is, at best, a hair below Dan Koppen, who is, at best, a notch below Matt Light, who is, at best, a step below Stephen Neal, who, at best, was a more injury-prone Logan Mankins

Put politely, no: Nick Kazcur on his best days could maybe play at a level commensurate to Mankins' worst days. 

Kazcur wasn't as athletic, as mean, didn't play with as good of leverage, didn't have as quick of hands, or as quick of feet for that matter.  About the only thing working in Kazcur's favor is that he's maybe an inch taller than Mankins.  But Mankins was better in the passing game and INFINITELY better in the run game.  Mankins is one of the best guards in the league. 

Kazcur doesn't start for half of the teams in the league at tackle, including the Patriots last year because the Pats moved him to guard while keeping Matt Light and Sebastian Vollmer at the tackle spots.

So Kazcur wasn't even one of the best two tackles on the Patriots.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Yes it is true, I have a *boner for Mankins LOL and Meriweather. Sue me.

Not as high on Merriweather - I can still see his game against the Saints two seasons ago where he blew every assignment in sight, and the TERRIBLE route he took while taking out Kyle Arrington on Green Bay's 67 yard touchdown this past season

But Mankins is the best.  Agreed

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

I believe Light, Mankins, and Kaczur are all gone.  Solder will play at a level similar to Light as a rookie.  Mankins will only be back IF he agrees to sign the franchise tender and if so then for 1 year.  Big if??  Long-term Mankins is out, as good as he is I don't think the Pats are going to put up with anymore of his BS.  Plus as he approaches 30 it is logical to conclude that his best days are winding down.  Kaczur has back problems and if he doesn't start he will not be on the team as his contract is not consistent with a backup player.
    Will miss Matt Light, a true Patriot warrior, but the show must go on and signing aging and declining players for big dollars at premium positions is just bad business.  Thanks for your 10 years Matt, just business nothing personal. 

Projected Line;

LT Solder
    LG *Mankins (if he signs tender) Wendell, Connelly, or F/A if not
    C   Koppen
    RG Connelly or Wendell
    RT Vollmer

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think BB would like to sign Light, but he'll only do so if Light will sign a short contract or a low-dollar contract.  Light can probably get big money elsewhere, so I assume he'll go to another team unless he is thinking of retiring soon and wouldn't mind doing one more year in NE even at low money.

I also think BB would love to sign Mankins if they can work something out.  Not sure what will happen with that one, but once the labor situation is worked out, I think the Pats will try to get Mankins on board.  I think they offered short money last time because they had to get the Wilfork and Brady deals done.  With those guys signed, I think they have more flexibility to give Mankins a top of market deal.  

Kaczur is intriguing at guard.  He's not a fabulous pass blocking tackle, but he's an okay run blocker and his body type might work at guard.  I think they give him a shot at guard and if nothing else he's a back up tackle which they need if Light is gone. I think the only other tackles on the roster (besides Vollmer) are LeVoir (whom I think is pretty bad) and Maneri (who's a project). Ojinnaka (if they sign him) can play tackle too, but I think he's more of a guard.  And Cannon supposedly can play tackle, but I see him as a guard on the Pats. 

There are a few more bodies in the competition at guard/center. Connolly and Koppen I'm sure stay, but it will be interesting to see who else sticks from the Ohrnberger, Wendell, Austin group.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Does anyone know if Solder can play RT?

We know Vollmer can play LT, and I think I'd rather see him there rather than a rookie protecting TB's blind side.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I believe Light, Mankins, and Kaczur are all gone.  Solder will play at a level similar to Light as a rookie.  Mankins will only be back IF he agrees to sign the franchise tender and if so then for 1 year.  Big if??  Long-term Mankins is out, as good as he is I don't think the Pats are going to put up with anymore of his BS.  Plus as he approaches 30 it is logical to conclude that his best days are winding down.  Kaczur has back problems and if he doesn't start he will not be on the team as his contract is not consistent with a backup player. Will miss Matt Light, a true Patriot warrior, but the show must go on and signing aging and declining players for big dollars at premium positions is just bad business.  Thanks for your 10 years Matt, just business nothing personal.  Projected Line; LT Solder LG *Mankins (if he signs tender) Wendell, Connelly, or F/A if not C   Koppen RG Connelly or Wendell RT Vollmer
    Posted by LB34[/QUOTE]

If all that happens that is a thin line with tons of question marks.

Solder may or may not be better or equal to Light out of the gate. He can probably handle the speed rushers better at this point, but Not convinced he is going to be all around better or equal right now.
    Connolly/Wendell is not near Mankins, so if Mankins doesn't report, the interior of our line is suspect with Connolly and Wendell. I actually like Wendell at Center better, but we may not have many choices. I am not confident in Ohrnberger at all to play G.  
    Vollmer is Vollmer.

Best case is if Mankins signs and reports, and Solder can at least be equal to Light. Then Cannon possibly reporting sometime mid-year, but I think he is actually going to be out the entire year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Meriweather is not perfect but he is definitely a very good safety. I like him cause he is the one 1st round draft pick I ever predicted. I knew we were going to draft him and when we did I popped a *boner for him LOL. Pats fans are like the snow ball effect, a player does something wrong or starts ONE season off bad and gets "benched" (even though he played in those games he just didnt start) for free lancing and like a snowball rolling down hill fans all start to say the same crap whether its true or not. Most of which is incorrect. So I defend Meriweather when he is being treated unfairly. Which happen all the time. The people who have their facts strait I have no problem with but most of the people who bash him ignore the facts because they contradict what the think about him.

Not perfect leaves a lot of room for debate. Pretty good?..I'll give him that. What kills me about him is he has the physical tools, he just doesn't have it upstairs. Undisciplined, poor technique, doesn't listen with both ears. because you never know what you are goingn to get with him, I see him as a liability.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssmilloy36. Show ssmilloy36's posts

[QUOTE]I'd rather keep Light and Kaczur than give megabucks to Mankins.  Light's been protecting Brady for a decade, better to let the rookie learn behind him for a year than put him out there day one.  And Kaczur is a big dude who can probably play guard just as well as Logan.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Obv you've never seen a game.  When mankins got back our team was much better.  Matt stone feet light gets schooled all the time.  protecting brady for a decade?  barely.  Volmer played the position much better. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Meriweather is not perfect but he is definitely a very good safety. I like him cause he is the one 1st round draft pick I ever predicted. I knew we were going to draft him and when we did I popped a *boner for him LOL. Pats fans are like the snow ball effect, a player does something wrong or starts ONE season off bad and gets "benched" (even though he played in those games he just didnt start) for free lancing and like a snowball rolling down hill fans all start to say the same crap whether its true or not. Most of which is incorrect. So I defend Meriweather when he is being treated unfairly. Which happen all the time. The people who have their facts strait I have no problem with but most of the people who bash him ignore the facts because they contradict what the think about him.

Meri is very good. I don't get this noise. It's like people have this idea about him and just see it no matter what. 

The constant comparisons to Troy.. I mean maybe they missed the game last year against Pitt ... but NE roasted Troy and caught him out of position several times. 

If he were Meri there would have been 50 threads about how he lost the game for NE and needed to go. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If drafting Solder means bye bye time for Matt Light..... : Meri is very good. I don't get this noise. It's like people have this idea about him and just see it no matter what.  The constant comparisons to Troy.. I mean maybe they missed the game last year against Pitt ... but NE roasted Troy and caught him out of position several times.  If he were Meri there would have been 50 threads about how he lost the game for NE and needed to go. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I think Meri is good, not great, not elite. He's not Troy and he's not Ed Reed. Not many are, I understand that. Ed Reed will probably go down 2nd best safety of all time next to Ronnie Lott. I don't even think you can put Rodney in his class as good as Rodney was.

If Meri was in the top 10 rated safeties in the NFL, why hasn't BB extended him? he could have got something done 1-2 years ago. I don't see much growth in him over the past 1-2 seasons and he seems like he's been benched quite often for who knows what.  It's not I have it in my head he's terrible, just that he plays with poor technique which causes him to be out of position quite a bit. he also is not the surest of tacklers.
    You use the example of Troy above. Good example, but taking chances is what he gets paid to do. I feel Meri is asked to play more within the system (probaby reason why he was benched so frequently), and not outside it. As you have noted here before, Pitt and the Pats both run 3-4's, but Pitt's style is different, and I got to think different all the way back to the safety position, where they have an attacking D throughout. Just my thoughts.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

In Response to If drafting Solder means bye bye time for Matt Light.....:
    [QUOTE]If drafting Solder means its bye bye time for Matt Light, and drafting Cindle or whatever the cancer kids name is means bye bye for Nick Kazcur then that free's up a lot of money which IMO will go towards resigning Logan Mankins to a fair contract. Light and Kazcur could make up the few extra million that is keeping this deal from getting done. Then we would have Vollmer, Solder, Mankins, Koppen, and Connelly as out starters. Then the cancer kid gets healthy switches to guard and takes the job from Connelly who then bumps inside and takes Koppen's job at center which gives us Solder, Mankins Connelly,Cancer Kid, and Vollmer which is a very good O line. What do you guys think all the O linemen in the draft add up to? (Also not making light of cancer my mom is a survivor I just couldn't remember the kids name.)

HIS NAME IS CANNON!!!!!

YOU IGNORANT MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How hard is it to look up!  YOU INGNORANT MORON.  Are you really that lazy and uninformed?  Do you really not have a list of players drafted by the Pats somewhere near you?  How much do you know about the pats and or football if you can't remember the name of a guy they drafted a few day ago?

ARE YOU BRAIN DEAD?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If drafting Solder means bye bye time for Matt Light..... : I think Meri is good, not great, not elite. He's not Troy and he's not Ed Reed. Not many are, I understand that. Ed Reed will probably go down 2nd best safety of all time next to Ronnie Lott. I don't even think you can put Rodney in his class as good as Rodney was. If Meri was in the top 10 rated safeties in the NFL, why hasn't BB extended him? 
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Why didn't he extend Deion Branch, Ty Law, Asante, Seymour, Wilfork, Mankins, anyone? That question doesn't really answer it. I mean (not that I think you are) people who tell you he is terrible can't explain the fact that BB has started no one, no one, on defense in his tenure as much, and no player other than Wilfork has as many AFC POTWs or Probowls. 

He has a nose for the ball, is really great at coming down to make the tackle, and (this si why BB keeps him in there) he almost never gets beat over the top. 
    Is he perfect? No. But there are no perfect players in the NFL. Everyone has some kind of hole.

I don't think Meriweather would agree to an extension without free agency. Among the safeties in the league there are a few who are better, but way more that are worse .... much, much worse.

In the end, I think his either tagged and traded (if such a thing exists) or BB lets him walk for comp and some other team will spend some high dollars on him while BB outfits another FS for the team.