If Drew Brees is an MVP candidate, why not Brady?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

If Drew Brees is an MVP candidate, why not Brady?

Through 7 games..

Brady - 2,032 Yards, 15 TD, 4 INT, 8 Sacks
    Brees - 2,006 Yards, 16 TD, 6 INT, 11 Sacks

I'm not sure about the injuries for the Saints, but Brady was missing his starting LT the last 2 games and missed his top-targeted WR for 2 games. 

Brady is coming back from a year off and two torn knee ligaments, whereas Brees is coming off a year when he nearly broke the single-season passing yards record. 

I think Brady's feats are greater than Brees' considering what he has had to do, rehabbing his knee and dealing with coming back from a year off due to a major injury. 

I'm not saying, i'm just saying....

Discussions? Ideas? Opinions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: If Drew Brees is an MVP candidate, why not Brady?

In Response to If Drew Brees is an MVP candidate, why not Brady?:
    Through 7 games.. Brady - 2,032 Yards, 15 TD, 4 INT, 8 Sacks Brees - 2,006 Yards, 16 TD, 6 INT, 11 Sacks I'm not sure about the injuries for the Saints, but Brady was missing his starting LT the last 2 games and missed his top-targeted WR for 2 games.  Brady is coming back from a year off and two torn knee ligaments, whereas Brees is coming off a year when he nearly broke the single-season passing yards record.  I think Brady's feats are greater than Brees' considering what he has had to do, rehabbing his knee and dealing with coming back from a year off due to a major injury.  I'm not saying, i'm just saying.... Discussions? Ideas? Opinions?
    Posted by jasonh86

Absolutely! I've noticed all over the media the lack of respect recently. For example in an espn pole a few days ago the question was " Who is the most exciting Qb to watch in the NFL today" The options were Peyton manning, Drew Brees or Brett favre( I think it was Favre anyway) the point is TOM BRADY WASN'T AN OPTION WHAT????

After the #s you just posted what is the story with these idiots?

Also has a player ever won MVP 1 year then Comeback player of the year 2 years later? Or better yet MVP and Comeback player the same year? Anybody know the answer to this?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

We need to beat somebody first.  Lighting it up on the likes of Tennessee and Tampa isn't saying a lot.  Wait until we've played the Colts and Saints. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: If Drew Brees is an MVP candidate, why not Brady?:
    We need to beat somebody first.  Lighting it up on the likes of Tennessee and Tampa isn't saying a lot.  Wait until we've played the Colts and Saints. 
    Posted by garytx

Who exactly has Peyton Manning beaten? Why is it when the Patriots beat up on bad teams people always say "you haven't beaten anyone yet", What team did the Colts face? 

Colts' competition:
    Jacksonville, Phins, Cards, Seahawks, Titans, Rams, 49ers.

Competition's win % =  42%

Patriots competetion: 
    Buffalo, Jets, Falcons, Ravens, Broncos, Tennessee, Buccs. 

Competition's win % = 43% 

We've faced the same level of competition, the Saints and Colts are undefeated so the media has a huge man-chrush on them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Posted by garytx

I agree with that. Brady isn't really exciting. He steps up in the pocket and stands there. Guy gets the job done. Brees against Atlanta had 8 passes over 20 yards. I'm a huge Brady fan but like it was said, until we actually play someone then Brady won't be considered.

I could care less if he's "respected" as long as he wins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Easy answers -

1.  Brady has struggled in some games.
    2.  Brady vastly improved his season stats in one game - Tennessee, even though he suffered some in earlier games.
    3.  NE has lost 2 games.  
    4.  NO has not lost any games and has played generally better competition.
    5.  Manning won a game having the ball for only 15 minutes for the entire game. 
    6.  Manning played 4 of his 1st 6 games on the road. 
    7.  Manning has not lost any games.  Has thrown for 300 in 6 of 7, but his status took a hit over the last couple of wks.  Game 6 under 300 yds.  Game 7 no TDs and 3 sack (but no ints).  
    8.  Finally, Both Manning and Brees were out of the gate very quickly and Brady struggled early. 

So, imo, these are the reasons why you currently hear more about Manning and Brees.  You did hear the Brady drum being beaten after Tenn, but Brady was not quite as sharp against Tampa.  Then the bye week hit for NE and any team or player on bye is forgotten.  

If NE continues their march and gets through Nov without a loss (or only one loss) and Brady is one of the main reasons, he will squarely be in the MVP discussion if not at the top of it.  And if you care about such a thing, you'd rather have your player there near the end of the season than the beginning of the season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Providing logical reasons why players who have performed better are getting more run than the Golden Boy in the media inhibits Pats fan's preferred perspective -- which is that there is a vast anti-New England conspiracy which begins in the commissioner's office and ends . . .

well . . .  never.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I'd have to say that if the Pats end with a better record or the same record as Indy and New Orleans and Brady has similar stats then he should be heavily considered for the MVP and Comeback Player of the Year. 

Although i'm not too worried about the MVP or any of those awards, as i'd like to see them win a SB instead.. I just find it a bit odd that he's never mentioned. 

I guess since they aren't undefeated at this point then everyone must think they're dogging it or something, I don't know.  But i'd love for them to go to Indy and N.O. and shut both Brees and Manning down.  Then see who the better QB is.

I just thought i'd post that stuff for some interesting debate. 

I'd consider Manning or Favre before Brees, but right now i'd have to say my front-runner would be Favre or Brady.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Providing logical reasons why players who have performed better are getting more run than the Golden Boy in the media inhibits Pats fan's preferred perspective -- which is that there is a vast anti-New England conspiracy which begins in the commissioner's office and ends . . . well . . .  never.
    Posted by prairiemike

The patriots police just put out an APB on you.  How do you like Canada?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I'd have to say that if the Pats end with a better record or the same record as Indy and New Orleans and Brady has similar stats then he should be heavily considered for the MVP and Comeback Player of the Year.  Although i'm not too worried about the MVP or any of those awards, as i'd like to see them win a SB instead.. I just find it a bit odd that he's never mentioned.  I guess since they aren't undefeated at this point then everyone must think they're dogging it or something, I don't know.  But i'd love for them to go to Indy and N.O. and shut both Brees and Manning down.  Then see who the better QB is. I just thought i'd post that stuff for some interesting debate.  I'd consider Manning or Favre before Brees, but right now i'd have to say my front-runner would be Favre or Brady.
    Posted by jasonh86

My definition of dogging it is not competing, not trying.  Do you really think that people/media think the pats are dogging it because they have lost 2 games? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Easy answers - 1.  Brady has struggled in some games. 2.  Brady vastly improved his season stats in one game - Tennessee, even though he suffered some in earlier games. 3.  NE has lost 2 games.   4.  NO has not lost any games and has played generally better competition. 5.  Manning won a game having the ball for only 15 minutes for the entire game.  6.  Manning played 4 of his 1st 6 games on the road.  7.  Manning has not lost any games.  Has thrown for 300 in 6 of 7, but his status took a hit over the last couple of wks.  Game 6 under 300 yds.  Game 7 no TDs and 3 sack (but no ints).   8.  Finally, Both Manning and Brees were out of the gate very quickly and Brady struggled early.  So, imo, these are the reasons why you currently hear more about Manning and Brees.  You did hear the Brady drum being beaten after Tenn, but Brady was not quite as sharp against Tampa.  Then the bye week hit for NE and any team or player on bye is forgotten.   If NE continues their march and gets through Nov without a loss (or only one loss) and Brady is one of the main reasons, he will squarely be in the MVP discussion if not at the top of it.  And if you care about such a thing, you'd rather have your player there near the end of the season than the beginning of the season.
    Posted by underdogg

You're too nice. You make it hard to hate Colts' fans.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Tom has to win a few tough games. Think back to the Bills opener, the clutch comeback at the end. That is what moves you toward a MVP. Drew has had to make some key come-backs this season and with a perfect record, he gets the nod.

Underdog, your man love for manning is ridiculous. does your momma know about it. This is a discussion about Drew Brees and Tom Brady. You start to get hot for your boy and turn your rant into how nice manning looks in the moonlight.....get a life. When you have to push that hard it ain't real..

no means no..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: If Drew Brees is an MVP candidate, why not Brady? : I agree with that. Brady isn't really exciting. He steps up in the pocket and stands there. Guy gets the job done. Brees against Atlanta had 8 passes over 20 yards. I'm a huge Brady fan but like it was said, until we actually play someone then Brady won't be considered. I could care less if he's "respected" as long as he wins.
    Posted by Philskiw

Brady just threw 5 TDS IN 1 QUARTER OF FOOTBALL He is not exciting? He has 2000 yards and 16 tds in 7 games. For the stat mongers thats somewhere around 4300 and 35 tds for the year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Easy answers - 1.  Brady has struggled in some games. 2.  Brady vastly improved his season stats in one game - Tennessee, even though he suffered some in earlier games. 3.  NE has lost 2 games.   4.  NO has not lost any games and has played generally better competition. 5.  Manning won a game having the ball for only 15 minutes for the entire game.  6.  Manning played 4 of his 1st 6 games on the road.  7.  Manning has not lost any games.  Has thrown for 300 in 6 of 7, but his status took a hit over the last couple of wks.  Game 6 under 300 yds.  Game 7 no TDs and 3 sack (but no ints).   8.  Finally, Both Manning and Brees were out of the gate very quickly and Brady struggled early.  So, imo, these are the reasons why you currently hear more about Manning and Brees.  You did hear the Brady drum being beaten after Tenn, but Brady was not quite as sharp against Tampa.  Then the bye week hit for NE and any team or player on bye is forgotten.   If NE continues their march and gets through Nov without a loss (or only one loss) and Brady is one of the main reasons, he will squarely be in the MVP discussion if not at the top of it.  And if you care about such a thing, you'd rather have your player there near the end of the season than the beginning of the season.
    Posted by underdogg

Media/fans/NFL guys hold Brady to a higher standard then most other players. That is the easy answer. We are talking about the winningiest QB in NFL history. If he struggles during a game it becomes a national story. When you step outside of the box and take a look at what Brady has done(this year) compared to what Peyton,Brees,Ben, and even Matt Shaub has done, the one point that gets left out is the fact that none of these other players are coming off of MAJOR RECONSTRUCTIVE KNEE SURGERY.

I don't care what anybody thinks of the Bucs and the Titans. They are NFL teams and they get paid to play like the rest of them. I didn't see Manning or Big Ben take care of the Titans by more then a few points. Brady's knee and his comfort level have obviously improven and my guess is that most NFL fans who know the game know that Brady is the best QB in the league.

In 2003 Brady beat CO-League MVP's in the playoffs Manning and Mcnair who went to the pro-bowl over Brady. This year may have a similar story line.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

MVP is a meaningless popularity contest. Let the Mannings of the world have their MVPs, we've got rings to win. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Tom has to win a few tough games. Think back to the Bills opener, the clutch comeback at the end. That is what moves you toward a MVP. Drew has had to make some key come-backs this season and with a perfect record, he gets the nod. Underdog, your man love for manning is ridiculous . does your momma know about it. This is a discussion about Drew Brees and Tom Brady. You start to get hot for your boy and turn your rant into how nice manning looks in the moonlight.....get a life. When you have to push that hard it ain't real.. no means no..
    Posted by gmbill

My Momma?  Really?  Not only the insults but the idiocy to go along with it.  Now read this Einstein -

FIRST - PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A*S
    SECOND - READ MORE THAN JUST THE TITLE THREAD.

Damn you are dumb.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: If Drew Brees is an MVP candidate, why not Brady? : Media/fans/NFL guys hold Brady to a higher standard then most other players.
    That is the easy answer. We are talking about the winningiest QB in NFL history.
    If he struggles during a game it becomes a national story.
    Your bias here is no different than the bias you think the media has about Brady.

When you step outside of the box and take a look at what Brady has done(this year) compared to what Peyton,Brees,Ben, and even Matt Shaub has done, the one point that gets left out is the fact that none of these other players are coming off of MAJOR RECONSTRUCTIVE KNEE SURGERY.
    But Brady has lost 2 games.  Brees and Manning have lost none.  If Brady finishes his year like Manning did last year (after coming off of minor knee surgery before and during training camp) with 9 straight wins, I think he wins the MVP if he is the reason for the wins.   

I don't care what anybody thinks of the Bucs and the Titans. They are NFL teams and they get paid to play like the rest of them. I didn't see Manning or Big Ben take care of the Titans by more then a few points.
    The colts beat the Titans 31-9 in Tennessee.  The Titan's DBs played their game against the Pats in Fenway while the rest of the team was in Foxboro.  

Brady's knee and his comfort level have obviously improven and my guess is that most NFL fans who know the game know that Brady is the best QB in the league.
    What does his comfort level have to do with him being the best QB?  Are you saying that when it wasn't there, he wasn't the best QB?  As for what fans think, I don't care about fans.  Fans are biased.  The "experts" who attempt to be unbiased are split on who is the best.

In 2003 Brady beat CO-League MVP's in the playoffs Manning and Mcnair who went to the pro-bowl over Brady. This year may have a similar story line.
    In 2003 NE had the #1 defense in the NFL in pts/game.  Indy was 20, Ten was 13.  With all the credit you give Brady, you'd think Belichick did not field a defense.  Tom Brady's words:  "I wouldn't want to play our defense". 

Posted by TrueChamp

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: If Drew Brees is an MVP candidate, why not Brady? : My Momma?  Really?  Not only the insults but the idiocy to go along with it.  Now read this Einstein - FIRST - PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A*S SECOND - READ MORE THAN JUST THE TITLE THREAD. Damn you are dumb.
    Posted by underdogg

doggy you did not mention manning?? Have a falling out?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

MVP is a meaningless popularity contest. Let the Mannings of the world have their MVPs, we've got rings to win. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz

As I read through these I was thinking the same thing, who cares about comeback player of the year or MVP? Those awards mean nothing if you don't win the ring. 
    I don't know about you guys but I remember when the Pats got no respect and they fed off it like your car does gas. 

We'll see when they match up head to head who they should be talking about.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diesel12. Show Diesel12's posts

I think Brady has a very good shot at winning the MVP this year. If he beats the Colts and the Saints and keeps up his current pace, he will be a lock for the award. I'm convinced Brady will have the numbers to be in the conversation either way. The Saints are peaking at the worng time and the national media is in love with them. We saw the pitfalls of peaking too early in 2007. In contrast, the pats look better by the week and Brady at the very least is a lock for the comeback player of the year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Brady will get to show his worth head-to-head.  If the Patriots beat both the Colts and the Saints, all of the Patriots will get some serious respect.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

If Brady continues to show his old self from here on out he may indeed be in consideration.  I certainly can't knock anyone talking about Brees though.  He's playing on fire now so give credit where credit is due.

I kinda agree with Mighty though.  Seldom is the MVP purely about who is truly most valuable to his team.  All awards of this type will be forever surrounded with controversy and debate.  There really isn't an objective way to assess who the MVP should be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diesel12. Show Diesel12's posts

Peyton Manning has been beating up on the dregs of the league. He is in for a rude awakening when he plays the Broncos and the Patriots, the only 2 goo teams on their entire schedule. The fact of the matter is, the league is in the tank for Manning ever since they had to change the rules because Polian was whining. The colts whined so bad that the refs called phantom pass interference calls in the 2006 AFC Chamionship game, costing the Pats their 4th Super Bowl. The league even went as far as aplogizing for the blown calls but the damage was done. They were more concerned about getting Manning a title than the patriots dynasty living on. It's a disgrace how the league plays favorites. And 2007 was the most exciting performance I have ever seen by a quarterback.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Underdogg:

You are the most full of sh-- poster I have seen on any site. You come off railing others for their bias, you even have it in your quote, yet every answer turns back into why your love man p manning is the man for you. Every time!

Then you jump on Brady, who you see as your lovers rival with out giving one cent of respect. Brady is a HOF QB and you say "In 2003 NE had the #1 defense in the NFL in pts/game.  Indy was 20, Ten was 13.  With all the credit you give Brady, you'd think Belichick did not field a defense.  Tom Brady's words:  "I wouldn't want to play our defense". Brady was a star that year, give him his due ya mook. 

Manning is a great QB, no question. He is deserving all of the praise.

These sites are to discuss the battles between two teams and who might win, (have a little fun) not to hump your QB's leg. Just once post a response that does not drip of love for Manning and you might gain a little respect here..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Well here is a spin on it that Colts fans won't like.

Comparing Manning coming back from minor knee surgery and Brady coming back from basically a knee reconstruction through their first 7 games back. 

Brady - 2,032 Yards, 15 TD, 4 INT, 8 Sacks, 65.6% Completion 5-2 Record
    Manning - 1,754 Yards, 10 TD, 9 INT, 9 Sacks, 61.1% Completion, 3-4 Record

Brady is coming back much quicker/better than Manning did.  It usually takes players AT LEAST a full year to recover from a major knee reconstruction such as the one Brady had to undergo.  So, given that information.. Brady isn't 100% and won't be until possibly even next season.  Yet, he is still winning and throwing TD's.  He had a shakey game against Buffalo and had a worse game against the Jets, when he was obviously not comfortable yet.  He wasn't comfortable looking until sometime in the second half of the Falcons game. 

Based on that, I would definitely say he is having an MVP-caliber season so far due to how others have struggled to come back from injuries and how he has fared so far coming back from his.

Sections
Shortcuts