If he is good with a strict contract would you draft Colt Lyerla in round 2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If he is good with a strict contract would you draft Colt Lyerla in round 2

If his contract is structured to include clauses about zero issues tolerance and even perhaps some sort of team oversight of his off field during year one, would you draft Colt Lyerla in round 2? He could be better on the field than Hernandez and the issue was, I think, about cocaine, not gangs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: If he is good with a strict contract would you draft Colt Lyerla in round 2

I would never draft that headcase in round 2.  Contract protection doesn't mean squat because 2nd rounders don't make anything anyway.  The issue is if he gets into trouble you just blew a 2nd round pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

exactly. take a chance on anyone, but in rd 6 or later. anything earlier than that on this guy, would be a waste.

id rather use the rd 2 pick to take og brandon thomas of clemson. hurt all year but a starter going forward.

but taking him in rd 2 would be a waste also. id consider him with the comp pick in rd 4 or later though

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to thejuice1's comment:

exactly. take a chance on anyone, but in rd 6 or later. anything earlier than that on this guy, would be a waste.

id rather use the rd 2 pick to take og brandon thomas of clemson. hurt all year but a starter going forward.

but taking him in rd 2 would be a waste also. id consider him with the comp pick in rd 4 or later though

OK.. too high a round for that guy.. but how about round 4?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Is his issue all and just the cocaine or is there more?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

No - drafting this idiot in the second round is a fireable offense. He should go undrafted. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

I would in the 5th round or later. 2nd is way too high for him.

"I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him. " - BB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

If his contract is structured to include clauses about zero issues tolerance and even perhaps some sort of team oversight of his off field during year one, would you draft Colt Lyerla in round 2? He could be better on the field than Hernandez and the issue was, I think, about cocaine, not gangs.

The drugs was bad enough...but...I wasn't sure how much of an idiot he really was...yes...no...maybe...then I read where he said the kid's at Newtown were never killed...it was all made up....I though...I'm glad he cleared that up for me.

6th or 7th rd some may chance it...any GM who takes him in the 2nd should be fired on the spot and never allowed to work in the NFL ever again....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I wouldn't sign that loser as an UDFA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

no 8x, one for each round I wouldn't take him.

1) The drug issue is a pretty major one if you ask me. Enough to not draft him in the 2nd, but wouldn't prevent me from drafting him by itself. 

2) He gave up on his team. To add to the drugs he abandoned his team because of it. Great priorities there and shows drugs are more important then playing on his team. Btw did you know he declined treatment?

3) In a high flying offense he had average production. Everyone wants to compare him to Hernandez but Hernandez's numbers blow Lyerla's right out of the water. Huge amount of talent and athletic freak but his numbers don't reflect that. He might be more hype then production

4) History of fights including in 12' 3 people claiming assault by a liquored up Lyerla on the street. Guy can't control his abuses and worse yet he does stupid things while on them

5) The Sandy Hook comments won't fly around here. He has a right to his own opinion but do you really want to bring in someone who made those comments to the one part of the country that felt it most? That would just be dumb and asking for trouble. All it take is for him to get drunk at a local bar and makes some comments then #4 will be repeated over and over again

6) He's been known to emotional outbursts and known to not be a team player. Put two and two together and you can't see where a locker room issue could happen, esp in NE?

This guy is just way to unstable and might be prone to turn into a Ryan Leaf. Emotional, can't control his addictions, rather quit the get help, and prone to violence. Yeah this is exactly a player we shouldn't touch, esp after Hernandez

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think he would even be on our board, could you imagine if we drafted him? Five minutes after the selection the globe and herald would put on their sport's page..."One year after Hernandez, Patriots select tight end who believes 20 innocent children were not shot and killed in Connecticut school shooting...parents disagree". It's probably something the Krafts aren't looking for.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Wow...  Any one ever notice how many football players have translateable names, not solely to the game but their positions?

Colt Lyerla...  DRAFT 'EM!  Runs like a tough stud galloping horse...but he's got nuance and delicacy in his moves.  He's like a wild pretty hard-galloping subtlety, all rolled into 1.  This guy's a home run...never seen'im play, don't have to.

IF I had a kid...  I'd name him:  Laser Eagle...Greatest QB ever.  Boomer Stylez=Pocket prescence finagling...Cannon Arm.  Vitch Krynok- Nose Tackle extraordinare.  Stephon Gradenton-Pass blocking Left Tackle...never'll allow 1 sack, ever.  Billy Masher-Tough Fullback and goalline TD guaren-tee.  Jonas Pleat-Best possession wideout E-V-E-R.  Ya'all fellin' this?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

No thanks for all the reasons stated above. He's the second coming of Matt Jones, who basically did nothing in the NFL. I'd rather take a 7th round flyer on Gator Hoskins, at least the guy produced in college.

But even if they wanted to draft the guy, there's no structuring of rookie contracts. They get a set salary for four years, none of it's guaranteed except the signing bonus which is not much once you get past the first round. If someone on a rookie contract doesn't work out, he can be let go at minimal cost.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

No...maybe in the 6th or 7th

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Pass.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

not before round4.  Why take a guy before everyone else has him on their board?  He hasn't played football in a year. 

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow.  Not a 2nd rounder that's for sure.  He's going to be lucky if he gets drafted.  Coming out of the combine his stock dropped and he was at the end of the list then.  A great talent but dead from the neck up.  Doubt if the Patriots even sniff the guy.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

http://www.northwestprepreport.com/every-story-3-sides-mine-always-athletes/" rel="nofollow">http://www.northwestprepreport.com/every-story-3-sides-mine-always-athletes/

Well, the subject got me curious so I did a little looking around.  A reporter from his backyard gives his support.  Might be wrong on all of this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

http://www.northwestprepreport.com/every-story-3-sides-mine-always-athletes/" rel="nofollow">http://www.northwestprepreport.com/every-story-3-sides-mine-always-athletes/" rel="nofollow">http://www.northwestprepreport.com/every-story-3-sides-mine-always-athletes/

Well, the subject got me curious so I did a little looking around.  A reporter from his backyard gives his support.  Might be wrong on all of this.

I read the article and watched the video and honestly I read/saw nothing that makes me think this was all some kind of mistake or that this kid is now A OK. People make mistakes, I get that, but as of right now this kid is right where he is supposed to be...a super talent that will go late in the draft, when he should of been a first round pick. He cost himself millions and if he truly turned himself around, good for him and he'll someday make the money back, but not now. And the article made no mention of his irresponsible/dumb/and classless comments regarding the school shooting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

Nope.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I read the article and watched the video and honestly I read/saw nothing that makes me think this was all some kind of mistake or that this kid is now A OK. People make mistakes, I get that, but as of right now this kid is right where he is supposed to be...a super talent that will go late in the draft, when he should of been a first round pick. He cost himself millions and if he truly turned himself around, good for him and he'll someday make the money back, but not now. And the article made no mention of his irresponsible/dumb/and classless comments regarding the school shooting.

Sometimes the press goes a little overboard.  After the combine the press said he bombed all interviews which surprised me and I basically labeled him one major nut job.  But the article gives notice to his comeback from drug addiction and doesn't really paint a good picture on the Duck program.  He points a finger at the school which is very different.  In the end did he really bomb all those interviews?  I did notice however that his agent made sure he didn't interview on his pro day.  All the article really did is maybe change my view from undraftable to a late round.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Sometimes the press goes a little overboard.  After the combine the press said he bombed all interviews which surprised me and I basically labeled him one major nut job.  But the article gives notice to his comeback from drug addiction and doesn't really paint a good picture on the Duck program.  He points a finger at the school which is very different.  In the end did he really bomb all those interviews?  I did notice however that his agent made sure he didn't interview on his pro day.  All the article really did is maybe change my view from undraftable to a late round.

[object HTMLDivElement]

The guy was offered an addiction program by both the school and the court system after his arrest and he declined both. Little hard to believe he's suddenly clean after declining to even be in a program to get clean. To me he thought drugs were more important than his team, his career, and getting help from the courts to fight it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

The guy was offered an addiction program by both the school and the court system after his arrest and he declined both. Little hard to believe he's suddenly clean after declining to even be in a program to get clean. To me he thought drugs were more important than his team, his career, and getting help from the courts to fight it.

The decision department isn't this kids strong suit, no doubt.  But sometimes the young do stupid things.  I'm not too impressed with his agent either.  Or it could be if he can't keep him in line who can?  Only the NFL scouting department knows anything about that.  In the end I don't see how the Pats even look at this guy.  Even using that high risk, high reward philosophy.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Risk a second round pick on a major league headcase?? Hell no. Talk to me in round 6 or 7.

Sections
Shortcuts