If he's available at #29, I think BB will pull the trigger on...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If he's available at #29, I think BB will pull the trigger on...

OSU LB Ryan Shazier.

I've had Tuitt as the guy for quite a while, but Shazier is the top player on my board and I think he'd represent BPA if he's still there.

I just think Shazier brings too much to the table... he plays fast, he's instinctive, he can stop the run, he can cover, he can blitz, he can rush the passer and he can play ST... he'd immediately give BB/MP a jolt of athleticism and versatility and provide them with a ton of schematic/sub-package flexiblity.  

He's exactly the kind of defender that's needed to help combat today's extremely athletic, pass-happy offenses.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: If he's available at #29, I think BB will pull the trigger on...

I'd be happy with either one, or Hags. Can't wait for this draft already.

[object HTMLDivElement]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Yes!  Shazier is my guy.  Probably the. #1 realistic option.  Him opposite Collins would surely be the quickest and most athletic set of OLBs in the league.  I think he would improve our 3rd down D significantly.  Unfortunately I think it's probably too good of a player to be left on the board number 29.  I'll be really surprised if he gets past Green Bay's pick at number 21.  I'm really hoping that he does though...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I certainly couldn't complain if it goes down like that, however, we already have Collins who does everything you listed there as well.  While 2 of something in this case is better than just 1, what BB could really use is someone that could reliably and consistently collapse the pocket.  Tuitt or Hageman are two guys who could help make life very enjoyable for Jones, Nink, and Collins.  Especially if they are next to a healthy and space eating Wilfork. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Seems a bit small for a BB pick, one of the reasons he skipped on Matthews. When was the last time you saw BB draft a sub 240 LB. Though weirder things have happened. Some nice LB's in the mid rounds too and not sure I would put Shazier that much higher than say to draft him in the 1st vs one of those guys in the 3rd-4th Telvin Smith, Jordan Tripp, or Christian Kirksey.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've been saying for a while that I think LB may well be the top priority now, and while I haven't seen him play, Shazier sounds like a good possibility from what I've read about him. 

At the same time, I think it's futile to try to predict what the Pats will do.  I'm sure they have a few guys they'd be happy to get in the first round and depending on how the draft unfolds I could see them staying put and picking a LB, DT, DE, TE, WR, or OL with their first pick or trading up to get a guy they really like or trading down to get multiple picks further down in the draft. I'm sure they don't even know for sure now and won't know until draft day, because so much depends on what other teams do ahead of them and whether any teams are interested in dealing.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I certainly couldn't complain if it goes down like that, however, we already have Collins who does everything you listed there as well.  While 2 of something in this case is better than just 1, what BB could really use is someone that could reliably and consistently collapse the pocket.  Tuitt or Hageman are two guys who could help make life very enjoyable for Jones, Nink, and Collins.  Especially if they are next to a healthy and space eating Wilfork. 

And they have Kelly to do what Tuitt/Hageman does... outside of an OL, I'm not sure there's a full-time, Day 1 starter that they could take in Rd 1, that's worthy of being there (I don't think any of the TE's not named Ebron are worth it in that range).  This is why I want them to take the best player available.

Today's game is situational and relies alot a ton on mixing and matching personnel to gain a schematic advantage... Shazier would give the staff a ton to work with, while only taking up one roster spot.

I'm still fully on board with a DL early if they go that route.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Seems a bit small for a BB pick, one of the reasons he skipped on Matthews. When was the last time you saw BB draft a sub 240 LB. Though weirder things have happened. Some nice LB's in the mid rounds too and not sure I would put Shazier that much higher than say to draft him in the 1st vs one of those guys in the 3rd-4th Telvin Smith, Jordan Tripp, or Christian Kirksey.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

It's a fair question.. he hasn't take a sub 240 LB early in the draft, to my knowledge, during his time in NE... but we're talking about a 5 pound difference between he (237) and Mayo (242) at draft time.  I really like Smith, Kirksey and Tripp, would take any of the (3) in a second, but they're not the same level of player as Shazier.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I love Shazier but the idea of getting Tuitt then Telvin Smith later sounds even better..

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

I love Shazier but the idea of getting Tuitt then Telvin Smith later sounds even better..

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

I'd be ecstatic if they landed Tuitt and Telvin.

I'd also be ecstatic with Shazier and DaQuan or Quarles or Urban, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

One thing to remember about Shazier...when he came to the OSU campus as a highly recruited player he weighed less than 200...so he's grown into and built up his size to @ 240 pounds and it hasn't impacted his speed at all...the guy is a human missile...He can easily play the middle but why limit this guy to a single place in the defense with all that speed...I'd love to see us grab him and would hope BB designed something special to utilize his speed and strength because this guy is just plain a great football player and you can't have enough of those guys on your team.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

I'd be ecstatic if they landed Tuitt and Telvin.

I'd also be ecstatic with Shazier and DaQuan or Quarles or Urban, etc.

This D could definitely use another impact player on the DL and the linebacker spot (with the Pats lack of depth there now). Anything to help improve the pass rush would get the D off the field more often in third down situations.

If Shazier and Tuitt are both available at 29, it would be a tough call in my estimation because I think the DL needs more immediate help. But it'd be awful tough to pass on Shazier considering all the sub defenses the Pats employ. Watching Collins and Shazier flying all over the field on passing downs: wow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

He is a bit of a freak, but I just think he is too small for what we do in our defense...I do think he'll be really good in another system....and dare I say? He reminds me a little of a young Ray Lewis with that speed and being around the ball.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Shazier reminds me of Lavonte David (plays for Bucs). I had hoped the Pats would take him back in 2012 --we nabbed T Wilson instead....

Shazier is a better athlete and overall football player than David.

I would be happy with Shazier @29, but the questions that other bring up are valid:1) Is Shazier too slight? Will he hold up to a 16 game schedule? 2) Can we afford to have both Collins and Shazier on the field at the same time (from a lack of size standpoint)?

I would have to go with Tuitt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

Shazier reminds me of Lavonte David (plays for Bucs). I had hoped the Pats would take him back in 2012 --we nabbed T Wilson instead....

Shazier is a better athlete and overall football player than David.

I would be happy with Shazier @29, but the questions that other bring up are valid:1) Is Shazier too slight? Will he hold up to a 16 game schedule? 2) Can we afford to have both Collins and Shazier on the field at the same time (from a lack of size standpoint)?

I would have to go with Tuitt.

Collins is 6'3" 250 lbs. and I thought showed enough strength and explosiveness last year that should enable him to be a very good 3 down linebacker if he keeps progressing. If the Pats get bigger and better on the DL this year (hoping for a healthy Wilfork and Kelly plus adding a good sized, talented rookie DT), I think Shazier could be an impact player for this defense. Any size deficiencies would be overcome by having some  talented big bodies along the defensive front.

Of course if the Pats are forced into a DT pairing of Chris Jones and Vellano, all bets are off. Looking at last year's defense and the way NFL offenses expose slower linebackers, it's pretty evident that having less mobile players like Spikes and Hightower on the field together is no longer effective.

I like both Tuitt and Shazier but don't know if the Pats would be better off picking Tuitt first and then going for a LB or picking Shazier first and then going for the DT. I think the Pats need to get an impact player at both positions this year to generate a consistent pass rush and improve their pass D.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

OSU LB Ryan Shazier.

I've had Tuitt as the guy for quite a while, but Shazier is the top player on my board and I think he'd represent BPA if he's still there.

I just think Shazier brings too much to the table... he plays fast, he's instinctive, he can stop the run, he can cover, he can blitz, he can rush the passer and he can play ST... he'd immediately give BB/MP a jolt of athleticism and versatility and provide them with a ton of schematic/sub-package flexiblity.  

He's exactly the kind of defender that's needed to help combat today's extremely athletic, pass-happy offenses.  

I like shazier as well. But don't you think he's better suited to play SS in the nfl? He seems to get blocked out of plays often and I can't imagine him playing lb in the nfl. I am probably off here but he just seems a bit light to play lb. 

c

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Lot to like about Shazier to be sure but he does seem, as others have said, smaller than what BB generally looks for in a LB.  The idea of him perhaps playing an in the box SS is rather intriguing though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

i think the best move is to trade back

Gotta have some team willing to trade up and part with a pick or 2.  Not likely, IMO.  I bet we make the pick at 29.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

i think the best move is to trade back

Gotta have some team willing to trade up and part with a pick or 2.  Not likely, IMO.  I bet we make the pick at 29.

Best chance for a trade back is to have Jax and Houston both still need QB when pick 29 comes up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

The first 8 picks of the Draft will determine a lot. If QB's are not selected. Rams have a lot of flexibility in the 1st round.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Picks 65-70 would not be bad to have at beginning of 3rd round. Still good players available.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Lot to like about Shazier to be sure but he does seem, as others have said, smaller than what BB generally looks for in a LB.  The idea of him perhaps playing an in the box SS is rather intriguing though.

He's 237 pounds which is 5 shy of Mayo's draft weight... and while he's not at the 240 pound minimum that we generally see, but he's not far off and most players at or around 240 don't run/play in the 4.3's.  

I think he could certainly hold some box/S responsibilties, but I think he's definitely a LB. 

Sections
Shortcuts