If I were the Hooded one, and I'm not half as smart, here's I would attack the Den. O.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If I were the Hooded one, and I'm not half as smart, here's I would attack the Den. O.

Last year, the New England Patriots lost at home to the New York Jets when the Jets played a new look defense I like to call a cover-1 press. I know, creative name, no? I think Dick LaBeau had the right call, but not the right players. I noticed that in a lot of the runs that Tebow made out of the option were at James 'dumb pass rusher on every play' Harrison. The Denver OC and QBC knew that Harrison, like Umenyiora, was someone you could run at because they'll fall for a delayed run on every play. Luckily for us, we have more disciplined LBs. Last match we played against the Broncos saw a record breaking amount of rushing yards in the first quarter until BB made the adjustments needed. While the adjustments worked we all seem to forgot that we took away the Denver rushing attack without two very important run stuffers. Patrick Chung and Brandon Spikes. I hope both guys have a major impact in this game, they both been very disappointing this season.  

I'd line up the boys like this. With a base 4-3, 

FS                    
                                                 D. McCourty         

WLB                       MLB                 SLB                      SS
                 R. Ninkovich         B. Spikes         J. Mayo           P. Chung     

CB                                                                                                       CB
    K. Arrington                                                                          A. Molden

DE                    DT                       DT                      DE
                  S. Ellis           K. Love           V. Wilfork       M. Anderson

My reasoning behind this is that, I believe, that stopping the run is the most important thing needed to stop the Broncos. I'd rather Tebow get into a passing match with Tom Brady to beat us over having him dictate the clock. As you all see, I have our best run stoppers for the DL. Ellis isn't a good pass rusher anymore, but he he sets the edge perfectly on the Tebow-zone. Anderson, our best rusher, is placed on the left handed Tebow's blindside. 

At the CB position, I have Molden on the bigger, more physical WR Demaryius Thomas that McCourty will sure to have a problem against with Arrington holding the RCB position. Mayo, Ninkovich and Spikes are fantastic against the run, bringing Chung closer to the line brings another heavy hitter to the table. 

If Tebow beats us through the air so be it, but he's not good enough to out QB Brady. Now, if BB comes out with a different defense I will not doubt him. Bill, and all his disciples, have been on this Tebow option read from the get-go. Bill was the first to execute it, Rodney Harrison had been preaching it for weeks, Crennel perfected it and Saban owned it in the BCS. I'm sure the hood already has it figured out. I just wanted tto try my hand at armchair DCing. =) Thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Re: If I were the Hooded one, and I'm not half as smart, here's I would attack the Den. O.

Nice scheme. Looks solid from my armchair. Yep. to sum up they have to stop the run and I agree if it becomes an air war- Brady wins.  I'm anxious to see if Chung and Spikes can make the stops Pats need and if the OL has recoveed enough from injuries to give Brady the pocket time he needs.
    Denver's game plan has to be about getting to Brady- they already found out they can't shut down all his options.
    This will be an interesting game of x's and o's!
    Go PATS!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

Re: If I were the Hooded one, and I'm not half as smart, here's I would attack the Den. O.

I would swap out the CB on the right side of the D, with a safety, you want a sure tackler with some power behind his hit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In Response to Re: If I were the Hooded one, and I'm not half as smart, here's I would attack the Den. O.:
    [QUOTE]Nice scheme. Looks solid from my armchair. Yep. to sum up they have to stop the run and I agree if it becomes an air war- Brady wins.  I'm anxious to see if Chung and Spikes can make the stops Pats need and if the OL has recoveed enough from injuries to give Brady the pocket time he needs. Denver's game plan has to be about getting to Brady- they already found out they can't shut down all his options. This will be an interesting game of x's and o's! Go PATS!
    Posted by darwk[/QUOTE]

That's exactly right. The last three playoff losses have been mostly because of the OLine's ability to protect Brady. Mankins and Vollmer returned to practice so hopefully they can contain the pass rush and allow Brady to scan the field and pick the secondary apart. If Dumervil and Miller turn Light into a turnstile...watch out. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The Pats are just about a very different team from the one that won in Denver this time around.  Look at all the returning players and all the ones that stepped up when others went down.  IMHO, BB has his intel from the way he has been mixing line-ups to see what works.  There have been many times this D has excelled when he made adjustments.  He has his blueprint ready to go in the playoffs... are we in for some interesting surprises?  I think we are!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

I know it's just one game so his bust isn't quite ready for Canton, but I sure hope we see more of Sterling Moore this week. I haven't seen a Patriot CB break and fight for the ball (and catch it!) like that since Samuel. Now, he's gonna get beat from time to time, since this is the NFL. But since our other corners are 8 yards off the ball and still get beat...Moore's got to have some significant playing time throughout the playoffs, IMHO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: If I were the Hooded one, and I'm not half as smart, here's I would attack the Den. O.:
    [QUOTE]I know it's just one game so his bust isn't quite ready for Canton, but I sure hope we see more of Sterling Moore this week. I haven't seen a Patriot CB break and fight for the ball (and catch it!) like that since Samuel. Now, he's gonna get beat from time to time, since this is the NFL. But since our other corners are 8 yards off the ball and still get beat...Moore's got to have some significant playing time throughout the playoffs, IMHO.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

" but I sure hope we see more of Sterling Moore this week."

second that

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Tebow has been laying old Florida plays into the Denver offense.  Ask Hernandez what plays Tebow is using.  Then ask Josh McDaniels what plays he taught Tebow.  The Patriots played Denver four weeks ago and already pretty much know what plays to expect.

Denver relies heavily on the element of surprise in its running quarterback repertoire.  When the surprise is gone, so is most of the offense.  Denver only has 6 days to lay in anything new, and John Fox can't make brand new offensive stuff up week after week without getting a bit stale.

Expect a run-first offense.  Put the 5-2 or the 4-3 defense in.  Denver's running back was having a bad day last week, so see if he's still not up to par. 

Bull-rush straight toward the center of the pocket and contain Tebow within the pocket.  He doesn't like throwing sidearm when taller guys (and the Patriots linemen are generally quite tall) are in front of him and blocking up the passing lanes.  Don't give Tebow a route to escape and roll out, just compress the pocket  on every side.  Squeeze until a dab of toothpaste comes out the top. 

If one guy is unblocked on the weak side, and it happens a lot, get that spy upfield and in Tebow's face, but make sure to contain him.  When Tebow is rushed and contained, sometimes he makes tremendous plays but more often he tosses high, low, into a defensive tackle's fingertips or right into some random player's hands.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]Nice scheme. Looks solid from my armchair. Yep. to sum up they have to stop the run and I agree if it becomes an air war- Brady wins.  I'm anxious to see if Chung and Spikes can make the stops Pats need and if the OL has recoveed enough from injuries to give Brady the pocket time he needs. Denver's game plan has to be about getting to Brady- they already found out they can't shut down all his options. This will be an interesting game of x's and o's! Go PATS!
    Posted by darwk[/QUOTE]

The O-line can double-team one or two excellent Denver rushers as needed, or the tight ends can at least chip block and then run their routes.  Also, Brady can get rid of the ball fast, especially because both tight ends can't be double covered and Welker also.  At this point, confusing Brady with a new defensive scheme just isn't going to happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

GAP INTEGRITY - every man maintains his gap and position against the option and every man stays in his pass rush lane to contain Tebow

HIT EVERY OPTION MAN - if they want to run the cl*st*rf*ck, then there's a toll to pay for it.  Each play hit everyone.  Hit the QB even after he pitches.  Hit the fullback on the dive.  Hit the pitch man out wide.  Hit everyone.  By mid-3rd-quarter, they don't run so eagerly anymore.

OPEN FIELD TACKLING - not only important from the common sense standpoint of not giving up extra yards, but also extremely important because the option tries to isolate 2-on-2 situations (the two unblocked LBs or SS versus the QB and the FB, or the DE and the CB versus the QB and the pitch men).  Take good routes, watch the belt buckle, and take them down

HIGH SAFETY IN DEEP ZONE - Have someone back there to help on those skinny posts, sluggos, and in/out&ups.  Don't get caught peeking at play action because in zone your job is to skate backwards no matter what until the ball's in the air or right in front of you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Tebow is an NFL QB. He can make plays put he isn't accurate or smart.
     Make him read the defence on every play, force him him to march down the field throwing the ball underneath the coverege.  
     Tebow  is too inconsitant to keep up with New England's offence.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I certainly hope we stop them on Saturday. Tired of Tebow - not much talk about Football !

Most of the NFL fans (across all teams) will be thanking us when we stop the Broncos. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I like it. I might however swap out or at least rotate frequently, Fletcher for Nink. I really like the way Fletcher has been playing, plus he is equally good against the run and pass with more speed than Nink. Lastly, Fletcher presents us a better option to blitz using him than Nink does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Think BB has all the info he needs now. Denver opened up their playbook for everybody to gameplan to. They showed all their cards against Pissburgh and I don't think they have thing left that can trip up our defense.

The donkeys won't be lighting up the score board much.

Sections
Shortcuts