If It Ain't So Complicated - Release Tebow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: If It Ain't So Complicated - Release Tebow

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
    Oh, Oh I know this. Who is anyone not named Tim Tebow? I mean if the starters are so mediocre we need as much quality depth as possible.

a better question might be...is there anyone else available at the DE/OLB, WR, TE, DB positions that might make the team better, especially when it comes to pass rush and/or pass defense?

[/QUOTE]

nope, FA is bone dry with us having a fat wallett. Don't forget Abraham signed with Arizona

[/QUOTE]

its not over yet. There will be at least 30 guys cut from each team soon enough. Watch the r un on TE's when it happens.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like Tebow, I think if it comes down to him and some scrub safety or corner I'd choose him. I'm not saying he is going to play QB or morph into a tight end, but this guy will come into some game during the year when we have a ton of injuries and win a game for you at some position - he's got a little bit of what Charlie Weis used to call "it". I don't know what "it" is but he's got more of it than say some safety that runs a 4.7 and should be working at Quiznos. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

its not over yet. There will be at least 30 guys cut from each team soon enough. Watch the r un on TE's when it happens.  

Those 30 players will be cut for red flag issues or performance issues at this point. How much can you really expect from those cuts?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

Those 30 players will be cut for red flag issues or performance issues at this point. How much can you really expect from those cuts?

[/QUOTE]

Or they will be redundant. Ie Danny woodhead.  How did that work out for us?  If your putting Tebow up against 900+ camp cuts, odds are not in his favor.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or they will be redundant. Ie Danny woodhead.  How did that work out for us?  If your putting Tebow up against 900+ camp cuts, odds are not in his favor.  

[/QUOTE]

Woodhead worked out well but for every Woodhead BB brings in 20 guys like that a year and maybe once every 5 years he finds a good role player. The success rate of finding another Woodhead type of player is fairly low which is why I hate when people say wait for camp cuts because we'll clean up. Or save money for camp cuts because we are going to need it. Truth is Woodhead cost nothing to bring in so no need to save money for that and the success rate for finding a player during camp cuts is slim and almost never happens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This is rich... so the starters on the winningest team in football are mediocre, that means that the back ups must really stink...  and Tebow, a guy who couldn't win the 2nd string QB job or even play special teams with the 6-10, 28th ranked offense in the entire NFL is actually good?

You guys must really love Jesus.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I like Tebow, I think if it comes down to him and some scrub safety or corner I'd choose him. I'm not saying he is going to play QB or morph into a tight end, but this guy will come into some game during the year when we have a ton of injuries and win a game for you at some position - he's got a little bit of what Charlie Weis used to call "it". I don't know what "it" is but he's got more of it than say some safety that runs a 4.7 and should be working at Quiznos. 

yep, there's always a debate about having "it" and being a "winner".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yeah we really need a Rudy on our team...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think Tebow makes this team as the #3 QB. He might never play but character and leadership goes a long way in this locker room and Tebow has both. He might never play a snap but would still be a valuable addition imo.    

"Defense Wins Championships"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The crucial question is whether Tebow is making any progress at getting rid of the football.  If he's holding the ball for 5-7 seconds, please cashier him after the first preseason game.  If Josh McDaniels gets any learning curve out of him whatsoever,  he stays.  Maybe in another 3 months he'll make a bit more progress.

A Tim Tebow that makes reasonable decisions under pressure is a good experienced backup quarterback, capable of winning a few games, and the Tebow/McDaniels team did win a few games back in Denver.  I'm assuming that Mallett will hold the clipboard while Brady is around, but if 36 year old Tom Brady busts his buns someday then it's between Mallett and Tebow.  Assuming that Tebow is somewhat corrected, I'd put Mallett in on passing downs (and first and 10) but hand the keys to Tebow on obvious running downs (second and 1, the fourth quarter if the team is up 21 points).  When everyone in the stadium knows that the Pats are going to run it, why not have an extra 220 lb running back on the field?  Tebow has also been hitting enough accurate 50 yard bombs in practice to encourage (if not force) the free safety to play deep in center field.  So, Tebow comes in, gets a few first downs, eats the clock and the game is over. 

Swapping between radically different quarterbacks could be hard on defenses.  Mallett has a cannon for an arm but he sure can't run.  We know that continual swapping of running backs between a little scat back and a fat pile driver is hard on a defense - they don't ever quite adjust their focus.  Also, pitchers like to alternate between curve balls and speedballs because it confuses batters.

BB seems to have a defense coming along this year so a backup QB only needs to manage many of the games to squeeze the Patriots into a division crown.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Let's assume Tebow does not make th 53 man roster.  There's a lot to be said for having at least 3 arms in camp if for no other reason than to save wear and tear on the arms of the 2 QBs you're going to keep . 

With respect to the salary cap issue, am I to understand that some are advocating that the Pats should essentially spend to the cap now?  If so, I'm afraid I simply have to disagree.  There has to be some room to allow for injuries and, yes, camp cuts that they think can help the team.  How much, of course, will remain an open question.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Woodhead worked out well but for every Woodhead BB brings in 20 guys like that a year and maybe once every 5 years he finds a good role player. The success rate of finding another Woodhead type of player is fairly low which is why I hate when people say wait for camp cuts because we'll clean up. Or save money for camp cuts because we are going to need it. Truth is Woodhead cost nothing to bring in so no need to save money for that and the success rate for finding a player during camp cuts is slim and almost never happens.

IMO, he only worked well at the beggining of his career here. He made some timely plays on offense, but towards the end of his time here, I thought he got stopped on the run pretty easily, not the best blocker in the world (simply too small). I would rather keep someone else on the roster who can add depth to a different position.  Nobody is going to want Tebow on their roster, so, BB could always have access to him by phone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

The crucial question is whether Tebow is making any progress at getting rid of the football.  If he's holding the ball for 5-7 seconds, please cashier him after the first preseason game.  If Josh McDaniels gets any learning curve out of him whatsoever,  he stays.  Maybe in another 3 months he'll make a bit more progress.

A Tim Tebow that makes reasonable decisions under pressure is a good experienced backup quarterback, capable of winning a few games, and the Tebow/McDaniels team did win a few games back in Denver.  I'm assuming that Mallett will hold the clipboard while Brady is around, but if 36 year old Tom Brady busts his buns someday then it's between Mallett and Tebow.  Assuming that Tebow is somewhat corrected, I'd put Mallett in on passing downs (and first and 10) but hand the keys to Tebow on obvious running downs (second and 1, the fourth quarter if the team is up 21 points).  When everyone in the stadium knows that the Pats are going to run it, why not have an extra 220 lb running back on the field?  Tebow has also been hitting enough accurate 50 yard bombs in practice to encourage (if not force) the free safety to play deep in center field.  So, Tebow comes in, gets a few first downs, eats the clock and the game is over. 

Swapping between radically different quarterbacks could be hard on defenses.  Mallett has a cannon for an arm but he sure can't run.  We know that continual swapping of running backs between a little scat back and a fat pile driver is hard on a defense - they don't ever quite adjust their focus.  Also, pitchers like to alternate between curve balls and speedballs because it confuses batters.

BB seems to have a defense coming along this year so a backup QB only needs to manage many of the games to squeeze the Patriots into a division crown.

I am thinking that what made Tebow "successful" is his heart.  Because of his poor throwing mechanics - he ended up scrambling (part by design, part because of blown up plays) - and, he's a bigger QB - a lil harder to bring down. He seemed to make some big plays as a college player and a pro w/ Denver.

However, the patriots offensive playbook was designed around a pocket QB who can't run. Surely, they can't change the entire system around someone who isn't even going to get many snaps at QB

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Let's assume Tebow does not make th 53 man roster.  There's a lot to be said for having at least 3 arms in camp if for no other reason than to save wear and tear on the arms of the 2 QBs you're going to keep . 

With respect to the salary cap issue, am I to understand that some are advocating that the Pats should essentially spend to the cap now?  If so, I'm afraid I simply have to disagree.  There has to be some room to allow for injuries and, yes, camp cuts that they think can help the team.  How much, of course, will remain an open question.

ATJ, we have slightly more than $10mil in cap space with $5mil that can't be carried over into next year. What players do you think will become available or will be available incase of injury that will justify keeping that much around? I can understand $3mil just incase and even that's a ton since most players you sign during the season get non-gauranteed min deals and hardly even scratch the surface of the cap. I understand wanting to save something for the season but not how much we saved considering the price for starting qualities players was very low this offseason and will only increase as the prospects of the cap bump get closer and closer. If any year was the year to take a risk and sign a couple of extra starting quality players it would have been this year. They set themselves up to take advantage of that situation and they called it but failed to act on it and left talent on the table with the money. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Tebow was on punt return duty and was the 1st man down and ran well after everyone else had stopped. These are the things that will earn him a spot if there is one. Not playing QB. Thats just a nice perk they have given him for being a good sport and coming here to babysit # 81. After the legal fallout, they decided to see what he has and he may play some QB in preseason, but he wont be carried as the 3rd QB only. He is gonna need to make special teams tackles. Gunner, maybe come in on 3rd and ones and run QB sneaks to keep Brady alive, but not just a backup QB. We can call Testerverde and have him do better.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

ATJ, we have slightly more than $10mil in cap space with $5mil that can't be carried over into next year. What players do you think will become available or will be available incase of injury that will justify keeping that much around? I can understand $3mil just incase and even that's a ton since most players you sign during the season get non-gauranteed min deals and hardly even scratch the surface of the cap. I understand wanting to save something for the season but not how much we saved considering the price for starting qualities players was very low this offseason and will only increase as the prospects of the cap bump get closer and closer. If any year was the year to take a risk and sign a couple of extra starting quality players it would have been this year. They set themselves up to take advantage of that situation and they called it but failed to act on it and left talent on the table with the money. 

I'll be the first to acknowledge that I'm no expert on the nuances of the cap so I'll pose the following question:  in order to avoid losing that $5 mil carryover must they spend the entire $10 mil or are they permitted to merely spend the $5 mil carryover and then carry the remainder over 'til next year? 

With respect to which players will be cut that the Pats will sign, if I could tell you that I'd be working for BB or, if not there, sitting at a high stakes black jack table at Foxwoods. 

You may be right about all of this PatsEng but I don't really know what BB has in mind.  Accordingly, I'll withhold my criticism until I see what he has or hasn't done when the preseason comes to an end.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll be the first to acknowledge that I'm no expert on the nuances of the cap so I'll pose the following question:  in order to avoid losing that $5 mil carryover must they spend the entire $10 mil or are they permitted to merely spend the $5 mil carryover and then carry the remainder over 'til next year? 

With respect to which players will be cut that the Pats will sign, if I could tell you that I'd be working for BB or, if not there, sitting at a high stakes black jack table at Foxwoods. 

You may be right about all of this PatsEng but I don't really know what BB has in mind.  Accordingly, I'll withhold my criticism until I see what he has or hasn't done when the preseason comes to an end.

[/QUOTE]

They can spend up to $128mil this year but you can only carry over $123mil - what your cap is. So if they don't spend it this year they lose it. So for instance if they sign/resign players during the season and it brings them to $125mil well they left $5mil they could have spent on the table but since they spent to $123mil they can't carry any over into next year

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Agreed that Woodheads dont come often but they still appear. Theres always someone we pickup after cut downs. What about Seymore? Hes still out there but he wont go to camp. Why should he?

For example the Bengals. What if they have a couple good receivers that they picked up. They wont need them. Look what they have now. They would cut them and some needy team will grab them.

We got Ballard from a cut. Paid him not to play for a year. Kind of a farmer getting paid not to grow crops. Your completely discounting camp cuts. Theres a few teams with cap space. Do you think the pattern might mean something? They could use the money to extend McCourty or someone else. After the Hernandez debacle I still dont see the Pats as guyshy extending a player before his rookie contract expires. The hernandez deal has to be looked at as an anomaly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Agreed that Woodheads dont come often but they still appear. Theres always someone we pickup after cut downs. What about Seymore? Hes still out there but he wont go to camp. Why should he?

For example the Bengals. What if they have a couple good receivers that they picked up. They wont need them. Look what they have now. They would cut them and some needy team will grab them.

We got Ballard from a cut. Paid him not to play for a year. Kind of a farmer getting paid not to grow crops. Your completely discounting camp cuts. Theres a few teams with cap space. Do you think the pattern might mean something? They could use the money to extend McCourty or someone else. After the Hernandez debacle I still dont see the Pats as guyshy extending a player before his rookie contract expires. The hernandez deal has to be looked at as an anomaly.

Seymour already said he'll play for 31 teams willing to pay him and the Pats aren't one of the 31 so I think that bridge is long gone.

As for the Bengals, they will take the 6 best players at the WR position. How good do you honestly expect there #7,8,9 WR's to be? Better than Jenkins or Hawkins, who might not even make this team?

As for Ballard, Ballard was cut hoping to sneak him on the IR list to save the 90man roster spot. That was a mistake by the Giants but his salary was so low it didn't even come close to effect our cap last year since he was placed on the IR after week 1 so really a min contract player counted more against the cap then Ballard. So, while those players do exists they never really count against the cap to the point you have to manage space around them and they also typically, and most importantly, don't help the team this year. 

Mccourty is an option but how much is his extension really going to cost? My bet is you will see them over spend on a vet role player (ala Ellis) to say they spent to the cap or spend just to the $123mil in extensions and pocket the $5mil saying they spent to the cap. But, do you honestly see any starting caliber players who would even dent then $10mil under the cap we are currently at to become available? As for the other teams well some are just cheap. We all know the teams that don't spend period but this isn't one of those teams. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Phil brought up a point that I thought worth exploring: who has cap space now?  If this site is reasonably accurate (who really knows):  http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2013 then there are 14 teams (including the Pats) with approximately as much space or more than the Pats.  Some of the interesting teams in that 14 include:  Packers, Broncos and Cowboys with the 49ers not far off the pace. 

The more I learn about this year's cap and where the Pats stand the less inclined I am to be critical.  As I indicated, I'll wait and see what they do with it going forward.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

What worthless practice squad like scrub is so all important to fill that last roster spot before TT?

I mean the starters are mostly mediocre on this team. What 3rd string nobody is so valuable that we cannot get by without them? 

is that sarcasm?....lol

[/QUOTE]

no.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Seymour already said he'll play for 31 teams willing to pay him and the Pats aren't one of the 31 so I think that bridge is long gone.

As for the Bengals, they will take the 6 best players at the WR position. How good do you honestly expect there #7,8,9 WR's to be? Better than Jenkins or Hawkins, who might not even make this team?

As for Ballard, Ballard was cut hoping to sneak him on the IR list to save the 90man roster spot. That was a mistake by the Giants but his salary was so low it didn't even come close to effect our cap last year since he was placed on the IR after week 1 so really a min contract player counted more against the cap then Ballard. So, while those players do exists they never really count against the cap to the point you have to manage space around them and they also typically, and most importantly, don't help the team this year. 

Mccourty is an option but how much is his extension really going to cost? My bet is you will see them over spend on a vet role player (ala Ellis) to say they spent to the cap or spend just to the $123mil in extensions and pocket the $5mil saying they spent to the cap. But, do you honestly see any starting caliber players who would even dent then $10mil under the cap we are currently at to become available? As for the other teams well some are just cheap. We all know the teams that don't spend period but this isn't one of those teams. 

I understand what your saying and agree with a lot of it. Seymore will play for who gives him the cash and as someone else said I too would like him to see him retire a Pat. My point is that each team is rich in certain positions and some of them will have to cut some players that they would otherwise like to keep. And if its a choice between Tebow or someone else then Tebow has the odds against him.

What about Spikes? If we cut him do you think someone else will be happy to pick him up?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah, BB blew up the bridge on that overrated money grubber back in 2009. Now he acts as if it's his choice. LMAO@him

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

They can spend up to $128mil this year but you can only carry over $123mil - what your cap is. So if they don't spend it this year they lose it. So for instance if they sign/resign players during the season and it brings them to $125mil well they left $5mil they could have spent on the table but since they spent to $123mil they can't carry any over into next year

So, they currently have $10 million available for this season, $5 million of which can be carried to next year.  But every penny they spend deducts from both amounts; if they spend another 3 million, they'll have 7 million left for this year and 2 million to carry over to next year?

In that case, there's no reason to worry about that extra non-carryover 5 million until they hit the 123 million salary cap.  Anything they spend up to that point will hurt their possible cap situation next year.  It's better to have an extra 5 million next year in case it's needed, than to spend up to 10 this year for no reason other than to spend it.

The only other thing they'd need it for would be to lock up their own pending free agents now, and frankly there's nobody really key who's going to be a FA next year: Edleman, Ninkovich, Spikes, Wendell and Mesko are the biggest names (I don't believe they can resign Talib before the off-season since they just signed him to a 1-year contract).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This is rich... so the starters on the winningest team in football are mediocre, that means that the back ups must really stink...  and Tebow, a guy who couldn't win the 2nd string QB job or even play special teams with the 6-10, 28th ranked offense in the entire NFL is actually good?

You guys must really love Jesus.

I didn't say all the starters are mediocre. Some are better than mediocre, some aren't.

BB + TB + mediocre team = Good team.

BB + TB + good team = Dynasty.

I very much love Jesus.

Sections
Shortcuts