If It Ain't So Complicated - Release Tebow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: If It Ain't So Complicated - Release Tebow

In response to MattC05's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

They can spend up to $128mil this year but you can only carry over $123mil - what your cap is. So if they don't spend it this year they lose it. So for instance if they sign/resign players during the season and it brings them to $125mil well they left $5mil they could have spent on the table but since they spent to $123mil they can't carry any over into next year

So, they currently have $10 million available for this season, $5 million of which can be carried to next year.  But every penny they spend deducts from both amounts; if they spend another 3 million, they'll have 7 million left for this year and 2 million to carry over to next year?

In that case, there's no reason to worry about that extra non-carryover 5 million until they hit the 123 million salary cap.  Anything they spend up to that point will hurt their possible cap situation next year.  It's better to have an extra 5 million next year in case it's needed, than to spend up to 10 this year for no reason other than to spend it.

The only other thing they'd need it for would be to lock up their own pending free agents now, and frankly there's nobody really key who's going to be a FA next year: Edleman, Ninkovich, Spikes, Wendell and Mesko are the biggest names (I don't believe they can resign Talib before the off-season since they just signed him to a 1-year contract).

[/QUOTE]

That was my point, is that they could have spent it this year to help the team this year in the early stages of FA and chose not to. Now spending just to spend makes no sense but say they wanted the extra $5mil to go into the season with just in case. Given what the CB's got for contracts wouldn't that $5mil they could have spent be better spent on one of the starting caliber CB's that went for $5mil this offseason for added depth/added talent or to get Welker along with everyone currently on the roster, or to give Sanders a bit more money and prevent Pit from matching the offer, or grab another DT with ability at a position that seems thin right now?

What I'm most afaird of is that they end up using $5mil on camp cuts and injury pickups which leaves them with no money to carry over yet they would have left $5mil to spend on the table

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Phil brought up a point that I thought worth exploring: who has cap space now?  If this site is reasonably accurate (who really knows):  http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2013 then there are 14 teams (including the Pats) with approximately as much space or more than the Pats.  Some of the interesting teams in that 14 include:  Packers, Broncos and Cowboys with the 49ers not far off the pace. 

The more I learn about this year's cap and where the Pats stand the less inclined I am to be critical.  As I indicated, I'll wait and see what they do with it going forward.

But most of those teams on that list spent close to the cap last year so most of that money will be carried over into next season further helping their cap situation while the Pats is losing half of it right off the bat. Additionally teams like the Packers, Broncos, and 49ers are in pretty good shape without major holes going into the offseason that the draft alone couldn't help. The Pats on the other hand going into the offseason had lost almost all it's WR core, had a huge gap at DT, was paper thin at CB and didn't have a starting SS. now they added pieces obviously but considering they had the extra $5mil to spend this year $5mil gets you at least 2 high quality depth pices or one starting caliber player at any of those positions. Especially given the value of the contracts handed out (most being short term prove it deals) this is the exact situation that they could of and should of taken advantage of. It was a perfect storm for them. The need was there, the quality was there, and the price was right, while having essentially an expirering coupon for half off. If next year those teams do the same thing as the Pats this year I'd be on them too. Then when you consider how much money they are willing to throw away on players like Haynesworth, Ocho, Fenana, Ellis it seems weird they'd be gunshy when handed a free check and told you can take a 1 yr risk on a starting caliber player and it's basically free

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 300poundUSCstandout. Show 300poundUSCstandout's posts

TO: All you guys 'piling on' Tebow--

Have YOU personally observed Tim's passes?

Have you noticed how many reporters who have claimed there's a 'problem' with Tim Tebow's passes?

As a former footballer and 300# offensive right guard, I need to tell you this:

TIM TEBOW is INJURED!!

Last season with the Jets, Tim was working out extensively and I BELIEVE he tore his left (passing arm) rotator cuff.  THAT would account for passes that "flutter like  a duck and are off target." !!

N.E. Patriots need to get Tim an MRI immediately.  Then, send the bill to the Jets--Tim was injured while on the Jet's roster = a workman's comp. claim.

Six weeks after arthroscopic surgery, Tim will be passing as well if not better than he did @ Florida Gators.

GO PATRIOTS!!

For God's sake, will somebody tell the coaches that Tebow is INJURED!!!

Go TIEAM GO....

oh, that's right; there is no "i" in team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to 300poundUSCstandout's comment:

TO: All you guys 'piling on' Tebow--

Have YOU personally observed Tim's passes?

Have you noticed how many reporters who have claimed there's a 'problem' with Tim Tebow's passes?

As a former footballer and 300# offensive right guard, I need to tell you this:

TIM TEBOW is INJURED!!

Last season with the Jets, Tim was working out extensively and I BELIEVE he tore his left (passing arm) rotator cuff.  THAT would account for passes that "flutter like  a duck and are off target." !!

N.E. Patriots need to get Tim an MRI immediately.  Then, send the bill to the Jets--Tim was injured while on the Jet's roster = a workman's comp. claim.

Six weeks after arthroscopic surgery, Tim will be passing as well if not better than he did @ Florida Gators.

GO PATRIOTS!!

For God's sake, will somebody tell the coaches that Tebow is INJURED!!!

Go TIEAM GO....

oh, that's right; there is no "i" in team.

was the injury retroactive? Because his favorite receiver in Den was the ground too

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

BB + TB + mediocre team = Good team.

BB + TB + good team = Dynasty.

I very much love Jesus. 

Don Shula + Dan Marino = zero rings

Explain that dichotomy if you could, I've asked you numerous times to no avail...

You certainly must believe in faith based miracles, that is the only explanation for your love of a 46% completion percentage QB who couldn't crack the Jest's lineup, over all our Pro Bowl caliber players who you and others here seem to loathe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

I very much love Jesus. 

Explain that dichotomy if you could, I've asked you numerous times to no avail...

You certainly must believe in faith based miracles, that is the only explanation for your love of a 46% completion percentage QB who couldn't crack the Jest's lineup, over all our Pro Bowl caliber players who you and others here seem to loathe.

[/QUOTE]Mallett 0-1 no wins, Tebow 9-7! Say what you will I'm just pointing out the facts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

I very much love Jesus. 

[/QUOTE]

did Coryell and Fouts win any SB?  Just asking, don't know the answer....

Sections
Shortcuts