If Mallet was available to be drafted this year????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

If Mallet was available to be drafted this year????

If Ryan Mallet was available in this years draft, where would he be drafted? Thats not even including valuable clipboard time as Brady's backup

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: If Mallet was available to be drafted this year????

Assuming he came out with no off the field issues which he hasnt had since joining the pats, I would have to say in the top 15 probably next QB taken after Geno.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He'd be a second rounder. Huge arm, but struggles with accuracy. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

if we are talking pre years with Pats just in this draft the late 2nd early 3rd because of obvious Leaf connection with off field concerns. If we are talking with the 2 years in the Pats to alleviate the off field issue concerns then he was considered a possible top 10 pick talent so I'm saying top 20 at minimum given age

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

I agree with PatsEng...id say top 20 value when you factor maturing process with Patriots organization

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

He essentially is available in the draft this year.  Being an underwhelming QB class coming into the NFL, he should be fairly tempting...not just for Lombardi and the Browns.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats got a late second or early third for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If he truly is as valuable as people seem to think he is...why even consider trading him? The truth is we have all seen him be inconsistent with his accuracy during the preseason and make some questionable decisions, I'm sure the rest of the league have noticed it too. Add in the fact that he physically looks exactly the same as he did the first day he walked in here, and you have to wonder if he'll get any better. Brady physically looked much better going into his second season here and it was obvious he had improved...can we say the same about Mallet?

Hey, Mallet could be the next John Elway (what do we know? He hasn't played a meaningfull snap yet), but chances are he isn't. If we could get a second rounder for him, I'd be shocked.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

If he truly is as valuable as people seem to think he is...why even consider trading him? The truth is we have all seen him be inconsistent with his accuracy during the preseason and make some questionable decisions, I'm sure the rest of the league have noticed it too. Add in the fact that he physically looks exactly the same as he did the first day he walked in here, and you have to wonder if he'll get any better. Brady physically looked much better going into his second season here and it was obvious he had improved...can we say the same about Mallet?

Hey, Mallet could be the next John Elway (what do we know? He hasn't played a meaningfull snap yet), but chances are he isn't. If we could get a second rounder for him, I'd be shocked.   

Accuracy is an issue but only as much as any other QB in this years draft. Truthfully Malletts value for the Pats might be low depending on the plans for Brady. Brady still looks strong. If Brady can go another 4-5 years holding onto Mallett might not be feasible.

Aditionally Malletts value could be artifically inflated this year from an extremely weak fa/trade market combined with a weak draft class and the large number of teams looking for a QB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

werent we talking about how hoyer was going to get us a 2nd round pick last year? get real...

mallett has done zero in preseason games to cause any buzz.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Teams seem to be making more and more desperation moves for QBs in the draft lately hoping to score the next franchise guy.  Nothing from 1-3 would really surprise me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Cant compare Mallet to Hoyer...apples and oranges!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Accuracy is an issue but only as much as any other QB in this years draft. Truthfully Malletts value for the Pats might be low depending on the plans for Brady. Brady still looks strong. If Brady can go another 4-5 years holding onto Mallett might not be feasible.

Aditionally Malletts value could be artifically inflated this year from an extremely weak fa/trade market combined with a weak draft class and the large number of teams looking for a QB

Ok. I haven't paid much attention to the quarterbacks available this off season (draft, free agency) so you may be right.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

In response to user_4413295's comment:

Cant compare Mallet to Hoyer...apples and oranges!

my point wasnt compairing the two players...my point was that we seem to overvalue some of our own players a little bit on here. i know its fun to imagine, but this one is just silly. its like in the celtics room when people want to trade avery bradley for durant and westbrook and 3 #1 picks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

In response to artielang's comment:

werent we talking about how hoyer was going to get us a 2nd round pick last year? get real...

mallett has done zero in preseason games to cause any buzz.

Well apparantly EPSN has info that says otherwise they reported the Brown's Lombardi would likely be interested in Mallet. 

Seeing that we are a little light in picks this year, a 2nd for him would be great. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Top 10, 20, whatever...given this years FA and draft talent, mallet is worthy of a first round selection. He isn't hoyer, and he has a canon for an arm. Accuracy is not bad, he can improve. To me, he has flacco type talent and upside . He won't be a Brady, but few are. Getting a kid who can develop into a flacco type in 2-3 Years is worth it. Sorry for the comparison to flacco, but he reminds me of him in his size, arm and somewhat mechanics

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

He is tall and lanky like flacco...big Ben is...well, big.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

what is strange is Big Ben is smaller than both both but when you look at him he appears thicker Than both. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFutureNow. Show TheFutureNow's posts

er ...Brady 1 year older next season ... trade Mallet & where is the decent back-up ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

He'd be a second rounder. Huge arm, but struggles with accuracy. 

Does anyone in the NFL want an inaccurate, big-armed, pocket QB anymore? You need to be accurate, athletic or both. 

Here is my favorite pre-draft Mallet description: "Ryan Mallett has JaMarcus Russell-like character concerns and a Byron Leftwich-like release. There's upside, but that's about it."

There is reason why he was the seventh QB taken. He ran 5.36 40-yard dash at his pro-day. For perspective, that is 0.3 seconds slower than Vince Wilfork. If you are only able to stand in the pocket you need to have pin-point accuracy.

I think given the success of Griffin, Kaepernick and Wilson that Mallett is not what teams are looking for in NFL QBs anymore.  He will hang out in the Patriots bench until they find a better back up and then float around the league just like Hoyer did.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

there is a reason why tom brady was picked in the 6th round he was slow as a snail... blah blah blah. 

Brady was a lot more accurate passer than Mallett and had a better work ethic. This idea that because BB found Brady in the 6th round that all his QB picks are needles in haystacks is ludricous.

The Patriots won the lottery when the took Brady when they did. No succesful pick after the first round is the result of brilliant drafting. It is just plain luck.

If BB had even an inkling of what he would turn out to be, they do not leave him up on the board until the 199th pick.

Sections
Shortcuts