If Meriweather tackled instead of he big hit???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

If Meriweather tackled instead of he big hit???

If he tackled he would be such a better S!?!? He always trys for the KO but IF he is TOLD/MADE BY TEAMMATES/COACHES to TACKLE instead of trying for the KO the dude could be a true top S. He takes the wrong routes b/c he is going for the kill(HIT OR MISS).If he plays like he should(tackle)he would be the SAFETY he should be. BM is a good S but he can be better????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

Re: If Meriweather tackled instead of he big hit???

Be even better if he broke up a pass, everyones looking for a kill shot, highlight film bs. No matter how hard someone in the secondary hits a receiver if the pass is caught then its not a successful defensive play.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

In Response to Re: If Meriweather tackled instead of he big hit???:
    [QUOTE]Be even better if he broke up a pass, everyones looking for a kill shot, highlight film bs. No matter how hard someone in the secondary hits a receiver if the pass is caught then its not a successful defensive play.  
    Posted by Rick8795[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I laughed my butt off when he made the Pro Bowl.  Great athlete...poor to middlin' football player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Meriwether tackled instead of he big hit??? : Honestly, I laughed my butt off when he made the Pro Bowl.  Great athlete...poor to middlin' football player.
    Posted by Winfield[/QUOTE]

pro bowl is a JOKE! iF YOU HATE BM, WHO WOULD YOU WANT BACK THERE? i THINK CHUNG and BM are two good Safeties. If BM would just wrap the player up instead of tryin to KO the guy he would be tha much better. you and many out there might relize how he can be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well truthfully I don't think he is capable of either; he's too small to effectively lay the wood, which is why the receiver makes the catch and he bounces of them. A great tackler is a very solid and skilled player...he is neither. Chung can tackle, it takes strength, true guts (not the flying through the air to hit a guy that is not looking), strong upper and lower body, balance, speed....he has some of those traits, but not enough. He should never of been a first round pick.

The league was and is looking for the Ed Reed type of player; a guy with tremendous range, that can cover, turn the ball over, etc. The Pats were hoping they were getting a guy that would develop into that, a nice gamble that failed. Even the things he's built to do (cover) he makes huge huge mistakes in, and he has not made big plays that Reed and others do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Meriweather tackled instead of he big hit??? : pro bowl is a JOKE! iF YOU HATE BM, WHO WOULD YOU WANT BACK THERE? i THINK CHUNG and BM are two good Safeties. If BM would just wrap the player up instead of tryin to KO the guy he would be tha much better. you and many out there might relize how he can be.
    Posted by patriots1a2[/QUOTE]

And you need to realize that Maroney had the potential to be a 1000+ yard rusher too. Some people learn and adapt while others refuse to change how they play. Marieweather's already said that he doesn't listen to coaches, after 4 years he hasn't learned how to wrap up and not always go for the big hit then he's not going to learn. He's better off being traded to a team known for hard hitting instead of technique

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I can understand the frustration with B.M. , its the same I have with B.B. for putting together a c rap gameplan when we know he is the best, but just like people ask "who would you rather have" in refernce to B.B., I will say the same for B.M.

Now me ,. personally I think Chung had a better year, but due to B.M. being in the league longer and having been there already last year, it was bound to happen.  Being selected to the pro bowl is like when you first start working, once you get in , you will always be in, same as Uncle sam will be there every year after looking for his money.
     I dont think B.M. had a pro bowl year, but I also dont see any other safeties that didnt get in that are better than him. 

Would you rather Eric Smith or B.Poole?

How about J.Byrd and D.Whitner?

I would say at one point Jeremiah Bell was better, but he didnt play that well this year.

I wouldnt take E.Weddle over him. I wouldnt take Huff in oakland either.  Not Bernard Pollard, (he's always getting beat)

Would you prefer R.Williams in Cincy , he cant even stay with tight ends.

How about those safeties in INdy,( Sanders and Bullit were on I.R.)

Then you got Reggie Nelson in J-Ville, same draft..not even close to the same player

M.Griffin in Tennesee was pretty good, (also in same draft) but his team went down the tubed halfway thru the season.  There are more names, but you get the point.  We are spoiled, and we actually have the best trio of safeties in the league which can all cover slot WR's in a pinch if needed, most hard hitting safeties cant even stay with Tight ends, so you guys better enjoy having B.M. one more year, cuz afta that, he is GONE!  and then you guys will see it wasnt that bad

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

Lmao ... you got to love these people that claim to be Meri. fans ... not even they can point to anything that he actual does that speaks to how good a player he is ... its always the B S above , "hes gotten better over the past couple years" , "he'll lay you out and make that big hit" ... neither are close to be true , he'll make about 2-3 real hard hits a year , and then he'll miss about 15-20 tackle trying to make those hits ... and very rarely is it a "kill shot" ... Out of all those hits this year his was clearly the worst. He cant tackle , cant diagnose plays , takes terrible angles , hasnt gotten any better from 3-4 years ago ... please dispute anything ive said above ... all of it is very true. We can do much better than him , lets be real.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

bm- not worth more than a quick comment- he might be a better safety- on some other team- but I doubt it-- warn out his welcome w/Patriots.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Simply put IF BMerri was in a system like the Steelers or the Dolphins he would be in position to make Palumalu type plays as he would be 9 yards deep 75% of the time. He would fall in line behind players like Troy and Reed, possibly leading the pack of second tear safeties (this is tough becasue ER & TP are possibly the best safeties in decades).

He may never reach the calaber of play that Troy or Ed has but he would appear to be more productive because he would be putting himself in places PRE snap to make plays that he is attempting to make from 15/20 yards back aligned over the TE.

Point is the Patriots call him a SS but New Englands system is really a SS/FS interchangeable 3-4 as both safeties are called on to blitz, sneak up on the run cover the slot, TE's etc.

If he was a traditional SS in an aggressive 3-4 like the Steelers he would be able to move around a lot more before the snap and those BIG hits would be easier to come by.

Right now when he sniffs out a play from 15 to 20 he is essentially showing his cards too soon, offensive players can see it coming make double moves, set him up for a juke etc.

Part of me feels the hits, angles and unorthodox play is by design as he is attempting to give this secondary a tough look. Striking fear into opponents that come over the middle would solidify that tough facade he is striving for.

BUT you are all right he may be better for US if he played as you all suggested with dicipline and within the system. His style of play has a place but it is not on this team, those hits need to come from our LBr's.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Tag i was saying the same thing my thread "2007 safety class"  about the pats system playing against his style of play and vice versa..check out the stats and comparison of the other guys..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

How about making this statement for just about every d-back n the league?  How many times do we see a d-back, instead of going for a tackle, arms outstretched trying to grab the ball carrier, versus lowering the shoulder for the big hit which results in either:  #1 - a glancing blow that doe not knock the runner down; #2 - wind up hitting their own player also trying to make a tackle since the runner avoided their "big" hit attempt?  A heck of a lot more times than seeing a big hit actually become a big hit.  Assunte Samuel was notorious for this tactic.  He hated to tackle!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

[QUOTE]Tag i was saying the same thing my thread "2007 safety class"  about the pats system playing against his style of play and vice versa..check out the stats and comparison of the other guys..
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

will do

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Blah Blah Blah. 

He's an excellent safety, and I like the hard hits. Being feared in football has it's advantages. 

He freelances too much which gets him in the BB doghouse and rightly so. You idiots want to use a number one pick and draft another safety don't you?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

[QUOTE]Blah Blah Blah.  He's an excellent safety, and I like the hard hits. Being feared in football has it's advantages.  He freelances too much which gets him in the BB doghouse and rightly so. You idiots want to use a number one pick and draft another safety don't you?
    Posted by Macrawn[/QUOTE]

flock no!!!!! Merri is a good safety. Chung and him are a very good tandem. istead of people bitchhhin about the safety position put that focus on the LINES!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Meriweather tackled instead of he big hit??? : flock no!!!!! Merri is a good safety. Chung and him are a very good tandem. istead of people bitchhhin about the safety position put that focus on the LINES!!!!!
    Posted by patriots1a2[/QUOTE]

I'll second that statement. Is Meriweather perfect? No, but I see alot of people here saying we need a more aggressive defense and Meriweather fits into that equation. I get just as frustrated as anyone else when he takes out our own players going for the hit instead of the tackle but intimidating the opposing offense and throwing them off their game can be really effective.
      Once we get better play from the front seven in regards to pressuring the opposing qb it will make the secondary's job alot easier and the bonehead plays Meriweather makes from time to time will be minimized.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame1. Show itsjustagame1's posts

[QUOTE]Are you telling us or asking us? Cause you made a statement and then went on to add question marks all over it so it was a bit confusing. With that said I would love to see every single player on the roster including Brady get better each year. People want to point to just one or two guys but its everyone, everyone needs to get better. So I love Meriweather the way he is and am on his side when people bash him but with that said of course I want to see him get better. And for the record stats dont lie, other then this past season where he kind of regressed a bit he has gotten better each year in one way or another. Players that do that are good players and not to be thrown away. This kid is only going to get better and with age he will become the player people want him to. That is what I think anyway.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, did you share the same feelings for Laura Maroney or did you feel that it was a good move to get rid of him because he ultimately couldn't reach his potential?

It may not be a fair comarison, but I don't think BM ever fill Rodney Harrison's shoes. We need a guy like RH

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If I remember correctly hitting hard worked pretty good against the Rams in 2001. Being feared does have its advantages. McCraw speaks the truth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I think one thing that goes overlooked is his game against the Ravens. Sure, his hits were considered dirty by many (including me). But those hits seriously impacted that game. The Ravens offense did squat after that.
    Do I think he can improve? Duh. He's fairly inconsistent. However, I think he's a solid playmaker on the defense. I just think he needs to play a little more within himself.
    Look at Rodney's play; before he came to New England, he was out of control. He was hitting and squashing everything in sight. When he came to New England, he still played tough, but he was in control and played within the system.
    Meriweather does have the ability to be a top tier safety. Heck, he's certainly above average. He allows some big plays, but he also makes some big plays.
    The one play that bothered me more than the James Jones catch - McCourty clear out:
    Against the Jets in the playoffs, Sanchez got pressured, and tried to throw to Keller 15 yards downfield over the middle. Sanchez overthrew him high. Meriweather saw the throw going towards Keller, and sprinted towards him. As soon as the ball left Sanchez's hand, Meriweather looked straight at Keller. The ball went right over his own head, and had he looked, he would have had an easy interception.
    Like I said, he needs to play within himself. He's athletic enough to make some plays while doing that. He plays too fast.
    One thing we can't knock on him for is his effort. You never see him loafing around and shying away from contact. And that is something we can certainly embrace. We now get to watch TWO safeties who play tough.

Sections
Shortcuts