if NE were to break the bank on one player this offseason, who would you want?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Re: if NE were to break the bank on one player this offseason, who would you want?

Mike Wallace
    Cortland Finnegan
    MJD
    Wes Welker

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: if NE were to break the bank on one player this offseason, who would you want?

I lean toward Williams.  I think we need that kind of impact defensive player.  The one concern I have is whether his play is still on the upswing or whether he's peaked and may be starting to decline.  I don't see Houston play a lot, but I understand his play wasn't as good in 2010 as it had been in 2008 and 2009 and then he was injured last year.  So there are some question marks . . . 

But an impact OLB/DE is just what we need . . .  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Of those guys I'd say Mario Williams. If not  then the safety from the Titans, Griffin. Rice is good but I'd much rather have MJD if the Jaguars were willing to deal him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In Response to Re: if NE were to break the bank on one player this offseason, who would you want?:
    I lean toward Williams.  I think we need that kind of impact defensive player.  The one concern I have is whether his play is still on the upswing or whether he's peaked and may be starting to decline.  I don't see Houston play a lot, but I understand his play wasn't as good in 2010 as it had been in 2008 and 2009 and then he was injured last year.  So there are some question marks . . .  But an impact OLB/DE is just what we need . . .  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

these are good concerns since Houston D seemed to perform without him.Guys like JD Watts and Barwin seemed to pick up the slack in his abscence. Intersting in that I can remember previous years draft threads hyping these 2 guys as the pass rush pressure guys we good use...but alas we traded down for value.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Ray Rice, Ray Rice, Ray Rice, did I mention Ray Rice?

To have a top notch RB for Brady would be tremendous!  I still remember the days of Curtis Martin and how good he made Drew Bledsoe look, after Curtis departed for the Jets it was all downhill.  Brady has never had anything close to Martin, the best RB he's ever had was Dillion on the tail end of his career.  And that got him a Superbowl.

Don't get me wrong, I know Ray Rice isn't coming, but it would be the one player I would want the Pats to break the bank on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Out of the list in this post, I'd have to say M. Williams.  Our Defense needs to get back in the upper half of the league instead of the bottom half of the league.  (Hopefully one of these years, in the top 5 again!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Would love Ray Rice but have to say Mario Williams, this guy is a very rare talent IMO.  Big powerfull and fast, think BB is having wet dreams thinking about Williams in his D.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Mario Williams - I got to think Belichick could make good use of a guy like that for years to come.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ayisyen. Show Ayisyen's posts

In Response to Re: if NE were to break the bank on one player this offseason, who would you want?:
    Of those guys I'd say Mario Williams. If not  then the safety from the Titans, Griffin. Rice is good but I'd much rather have MJD if the Jaguars were willing to deal him. 
    Posted by sporter81

People are sleeping on Griffin, I think he would be a good fit for what the Pats need.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Of these choices I would say Ray Rice would be the nest Roger Craig in our offense. He would catch and run for 1000 yards each.

Why get Mario Williams when we could take another stud DT in the draft and open up rushing lanes for DE/OLB just like we used to do in our SB run?

The most sacks I think we ever had by a DE was Seymours 8.5 in 03 or 04.

BB's system is more about clogging the line and gap responsibility then pass rushing DE's like Williams.

Break the bank for Rice and give Brady an outlet at 35 years old. No more vicous hits like he took this year please.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

I'd go for the first three choices...in that order. Another guy I'd love to see in NE is Goldson from the 49ers. He would be a huge plus in the secondary. But Mario has played both 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB. Pressure always makes a secondary a lot better. Though I'd love to see Ray Rice, I think the defense is the biggest need for big impact. For the offense I hope they get a tall WR who can stretch the field. Unless they're ready to give up on Ridley and Vereen I don't see them signing a RB in FA. I voted for Williams. Big dreams!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Ray Rice could be very expensive. So i'd much rather go with some one who is good on short yardage and goaline (Tolbert) and is not cost prohibitive. Even if the Pats got Tolbert, they could still afford to sign two of Williams, Finnigan and Griffin and improve the D (which has already in fact , improved).

Also see players like Wallace, Jackson, or Bryant as cost prohibitive and player like Lloyd as costing less and already has knowledge of the system.

The Pats are in the unique position of being able to sacrifice a draft pick for what I call a known quantity. If Flacco gets the top 5 QB money he thinks he deserves then Rice might be given a low ball offer from the Ravens.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

IMO Griffin is going to keep getting better, signing him probably wouldn't break the bank either. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I wouldn't want them to break the bank for any one player! If they are going shopping I'ld love to see a full shopping bag,so three or four 2nd level FA's would do wonders for this team,LLoyd-Grimes and maybe a punishing RB like Lynch would do nicely but if you can get a Super Marioo or a Wallace or even a  RB like Foster and not hurt your cap for the future then by all means bring one or two of the top guys on..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I wouldn't want them to break the bank for any one player! If they are going shopping I'ld love to see a full shopping bag,so three or four 2nd level FA's would do wonders for this team,LLoyd-Grimes and maybe a punishing RB like Lynch would do nicely but if you can get a Super Marioo or a Wallace or even a  RB like Foster and not hurt your cap for the future then by all means bring one or two of the top guys on..
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Yeah, thats what I meant by signing a guy like Griffin. Breaking the bank never works, or at least 90 percent of the time it doesn't. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from will71. Show will71's posts

matt forte 

god would be perfect great runner and can catch the ball out of back field we would be unstoppable

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Knowing BB's thought process to build a TEAM consisting of many role players, I do not think the Pats would break the bank for one player.  Are you implying the Pats are ONE player from being a super team?  IMHO, there are too many holes to fill that one player will not solve all their issues.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

matt forte  god would be perfect great runner and can catch the ball out of back field we would be unstoppable
    Posted by will71
    You've got a good point provided he's healthy and the Bears don't slap the franchise tag on him. Also to sporter81 Griffen could be a nice addition,as would any really decent DB. Maybe BB brings the kid from the 49'ers in for another look Gholsten I think that's his name.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Mario Williams is the man and plays a position of need for the Pats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: if NE were to break the bank on one player this offseason, who would you want? : it's a hypothetical question. sorry if i wasn't clear enough in the title.....
    Posted by ricky12684

Yes, it is... I answered like the TEAM may think, not like a "I wish they got" fan. Why think this way only to be let down?  Let the team do what it needs and support their actions.  Too many fans here act like it is fantasy football and ANY player is up for grabs and the team should chase every single one of them. 

Sections
Shortcuts