If no dice on LaRon Landry, there is James Ihedigbo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

If no dice on LaRon Landry, there is James Ihedigbo

I understand the interests in the hard-hitting safety in Landry, but James Ihedigbo is no slouch. In the early part of the season, Ihedigbo was sloppy at the Safety position, but I thought Ihedigbo got better. Unlike a certain player who's last name is Haynesworth who did nothing with his opportunity with the Pats, James Ihedigbo was the opposite and took full advantage of the opportunities that Coach Belichick gave him and made the best of it and got more playing time as the season went along. I look at James Ihedigbo as a young Rodney Harrison, a leader in that secondary and a hard-hitting safety as well. I say re-sign Ihedibo because he knows the playbook and where everyone should be at on the football field and in his second year with the team, he'll get better along side Patrick Chung. That is not a bad duo at safety if you think about, Patrick Chung and James Ihedigbo as the safeties, don't want to be the one going across the middle with those two roaming the middle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: If no dice on LaRon Landry, there is James Ihedigbo

Ihedigbo came around at the end of the season. I see him as a reserve if he stays

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought Ihedigbo was in all honesty nothing more than a solid back up type of guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Diggs makes for a solid back up, not really a starting caliber safety. Face it, he is a liablity in coverage, especially deep down the field.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Ideighbo is literally a backup guy who had to do more than what he is talented for and showed his maturity in handling crappy circumstances. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Just a decent backup and a good special teamer. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

I'd like to see the Pats bring back James Sanders.  I think Sanders was usually in the right place due to his ability to diagnose plays quickly.  McCourty had an outstanding rookie season and I credit some of his success to having help over the top.  This year, the Patriot safeties were often out of position (especially James Ihedigbo).  I like Ihedigbo's leadership and demeanor but I don't think he is anything more then a special teamer. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

My Favorite Lowery resigned with his team the Jags, but I like Landry as well with two caveats...
    #1, he is a SS not a FS like Lowery or even Mike Adams FS Browns who is still available.
    #2, He is injury prone playing in 17 games the previous two seasons, and he has an achilies injury so he may be a PUP player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Given the choice between Landry and Ihedigbo I'd go Ihedigbo. I wouldn't want either to start honestly and both would make good backups for Chung, just as long as they are backups. But, I have more faith Ihedigbo can play through injures and last a full season. I also get the sense that Ihedigbo actually cares about the game while Landry seems more concerned about his image and possible career in the WWF after football.

At this point given the options at FA and lack of starting caliber FS's in the draft (Smith and Barron to me are Chung type of players) I'd honestly bring Ihedigbo back, get Gregoy from SD as a cheaper Sanders type of player to play early downs and convert McCourty and Moore as FS/CB's during coverage schemes. Then target a S in next years draft (which has a much richer S class). I'd like to go after Webb as a RFA but if his contract is to much then the combo of the pick and contract might be to much to spend. All in all I see minor improves to the secondary this year given the weakness and crazy contracts being handed out in FA and the draft.

Honestly, the hottest names in the FA market right now for S is a player with multiple suspensions and benched by his last team (Meri), a player who can't stay on the field the last couple of years/won't have surgery to fix the issue/has been linked to PED use/has been more obsessed with getting a wrestling body then getting back on the field (Landry), and a bunch of career backups that people hope can make the jump to starters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

NO thanks.

He may hit hard when he is healthy and when he makes it to the ball on time, but I am looking to get better at the position. Rodney Harrison???  ummm, NO!

I hear what u are saying and maybe bring him in as a backup, but if you are looking for him to turn into a playmaker like #37, you are out of your mind.

He is very limited. A subpackage run defender at best. Nothing more, sorry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Eng, you are crazy, if Landry was healthy, you would want him as a backup!?!?!

Ok, so who is starting?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In Response to If no dice on LaRon Landry, there is James Ihedigbo:
    [QUOTE]I understand the interests in the hard-hitting safety in Landry, but James Ihedigbo is no slouch. In the early part of the season, Ihedigbo was sloppy at the Safety position, but I thought Ihedigbo got better. Unlike a certain player who's last name is Haynesworth who did nothing with his opportunity with the Pats, James Ihedigbo was the opposite and took full advantage of the opportunities that Coach Belichick gave him and made the best of it and got more playing time as the season went along. I look at James Ihedigbo as a young Rodney Harrison, a leader in that secondary and a hard-hitting safety as well. I say re-sign Ihedibo because he knows the playbook and where everyone should be at on the football field and in his second year with the team, he'll get better along side Patrick Chung. That is not a bad duo at safety if you think about, Patrick Chung and James Ihedigbo as the safeties, don't want to be the one going across the middle with those two roaming the middle.
    Posted by millergrnv[/QUOTE]
    You can't be serious.  Even mentioning Ihedigbo in the same sentence as Rodney is HERESY!  Ihedigbo doesn't have as much talent as Rodney's jock strap!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think there is serious question mark as to Landry passing a physical.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: If no dice on LaRon Landry, there is James Ihedigbo:
    [QUOTE]Eng, you are crazy, if Landry was healthy, you would want him as a backup!?!?! Ok, so who is starting?
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Chung

I've seen people with Achilles problems. They are never the same while it's still healing and it's takes years to heal naturally. Even healthy he is more a liability in coverage then Chung is and we don't even know how his body building affected his mobility (not straight line speed). Right now Landry is one big question mark and you can't expect him to instantly return to his first half 10' form. Odds are he won't be that same player. I'd rather have Chung starting at SS and McCourty at FS then to have Landry at SS and Chung at FS

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Ok, I get that, I am saying who plays next to Chung?

YOu keep bringing up the dam achilles, I am saying IF he is healthy, Jeez, you guys act like he will never walk agian, he is not gonna pass a phsyical, he is a body builder, etc.

The guys is being brought in so there is something there,. The Pats have interest. The guy has always been jacked and all of sudden a few people see the guy with his shirt off and its "Oh, he doesnt want to play football, he wants to be a body builder"

I have never seen more negative energy put towards a player...

Anyways, I hope he comes here and is healthy, You can wish for a Chung/McCourty Duo if u like and with Chung in coverage, I guess McCourty is in the box right?

We will just have to disagree on this on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Im glad to hear Landry will be in for a visit this weekend, good sign. He might not be a great cover safety but he would give us that nasty presence at SS, something we have lacked since Harrison retired.

LaRon Landry is what he is, a wrecking ball at safety. Unlike Fairyweather, Landry actually takes good angles and when he hits, the opposition actually goes down...

Im praying they sign him, if he can heal and aviod re-injuring his achilles, he could be a stud at safety for us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

If Ihedigbo is a starter next year I think I will go crazy.  The guy got cut by the Jets who have issues at safety to say the least.  I would take Landry over Ihedigbo in a heartbeat and I would certainly prefer a Chung/Landry combo over Chung and McCourty.  Ihedigbo is a nice special teamer and is good in certain packages, but there is no way he should be starting.  Then again a lot of people said that about Nink a few years ago so who knows.  I am not as high on Landry as Jay, but I would still take him over what we have now.  I'm surprised this is even a question.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, I get that, I am saying who plays next to Chung? YOu keep bringing up the dam achilles, I am saying IF he is healthy, Jeez, you guys act like he will never walk agian, he is not gonna pass a phsyical, he is a body builder, etc. The guys is being brought in so there is something there,. The Pats have interest. The guy has always been jacked and all of sudden a few people see the guy with his shirt off and its "Oh, he doesnt want to play football, he wants to be a body builder" I have never seen more negative energy put towards a player... Anyways, I hope he comes here and is healthy, You can wish for a Chung/McCourty Duo if u like and with Chung in coverage, I guess McCourty is in the box right? We will just have to disagree on this on.

Jay that's a big IF given what we know about the injury and the history of players who have had that injury. It's more a certainty that he'll be closer to his 8 games in 11' this year then he will his first 9 game in 10'.

Right now his name might be bigger then he's capable of performing and until he gets on the field we don't know what kind of playing shape he's in. Honestly I think more people would have confidence in him coming back to his normal playing form if he didn't bulk up and post pictures. Again history shows players that bulk up while injured and don't practice on the field while increasing weight tend to lose ability. NFL bodies are closely monitored by an army of nutritionist, doctors, trainers, and a whole host of other people for a reason. It's to maintain their peak performance and when they players throw it out of whack then bad things tend to happen

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I hear you Eng.

The way I see it, if you are right why would any team even pay him big $$,

Surely he has no negotiating power at this time right?  So why cant we just pay him a 1 mill/1 year deal w/ incentives?

If he really did mess up his career then he wont be playing for anyone this year the whole thing is mute, but Im not writing him off because he works out a lot.

5 teams have interest right now. Either he is capable or he isnt, but I dont see why people are like, NO Way, he costs too much and then say No Way his career is done. It cant be both. If he is that far from being healthy how can he command Top Safety money?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd like our safety crew to look like this next year:

SS - Landry
    SS/FS - Chung, Sanders
    FS - Steve Gregory

(Brown can be on the practice squad or Ihedigbo here if no Sanders)

Then you have Moore and McCourty who can play both FS and CB and are great nickel/dime options

For cornerbacks I'm on the Webb bandwagon as far as getting him for pick 31 and giving up a 35-40m contract when he is as good or better than 50m men Carr/Finnegan

Webb
    McCourty
    Ras-I
    Arrington
    Molden or a 3rd/4th rd pick

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I hear you Eng. The way I see it, if you are right why would any team even pay him big $$, Surely he has no negotiating power at this time right?  So why cant we just pay him a 1 mill/1 year deal w/ incentives? If he really did mess up his career then he wont be playing for anyone this year the whole thing is mute, but Im not writing him off because he works out a lot. 5 teams have interest right now. Either he is capable or he isnt, but I dont see why people are like, NO Way, he costs too much and then say No Way his career is done. It cant be both. If he is that far from being healthy how can he command Top Safety money?

The problem Jay is that a number of teams need a S, the FA S class is extremely weak, and the S draft class is also extremely weak. Some team will overpay for the potential he could get back to form (ie Jets) not that he will get back to form. Think what SD did with Sanders last year. I think Landry will get a 1 yr $3mil contract from someone, the question is who. If it's the Pats and you might have to PuP him (lose 6 weeks) then he has to get up to speed and because of all the issues mentioned on the board it's no guarantee he will. Also if he gets reinjured or never actually recovered from his Achilles to begin with then you wasted a roster space, left the team in the same position as last year, and it cost you $3mil in cap space.

It would be Ellis all over again, and I know how people feel about that. Landry is the type of player that a fringe playoff team takes a risk on or a team that needs a splashy name that people recognize to sell tickets to take a risk on. The Pats are nether of those. What we need is a solid dependable player that's more of a known. Someone that has a lower injury risk and will be on the roster and on the field come playoff time. The best teams will take risks on plays that are injured or aging vets in positions were they already have some depth. They shouldn't take risks on injured or aging vets that are expected to be starters or play significant roles.

If he'd take a $1mil non-guaranteed contract then sure sign him up but if he's looking for $3mil+ or multiple years would you make him a offer?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

3/mill a year w/incentives?  Hell yeah?  U make out his contract with an injury/games playes clause.

Judging by last year, I do think we need better talent. So I guess we just be happy with Idebho or a guy like Gregory?  Neither of them guys are a lock to stay healthy or solidy anything either. Im just saying, I dont want to go thru what we saw last year. NO draft pick is starting here next year outside of Barron.

Babineaux is gone. Adams will resign. Michael Griffin is gonna get good money. Reggie Nelson is a better version of Meriweather without the big hitting ability.

I see no reason not to kick the tires on Landry. We wont have much of a chance upgrading elsewhere. Maybe after june 1st, but if you bank on that and miss out,now u are screwed.  Either Way, I am not advocating overspendin for a guy who isnt healthy enough to play. I am saying bring him in and let our staff check him out and give him a workout and work from there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuPirate. Show PuPirate's posts

In Response to If no dice on LaRon Landry, there is James Ihedigbo:
    [QUOTE]I understand the interests in the hard-hitting safety in Landry, but James Ihedigbo is no slouch. In the early part of the season, Ihedigbo was sloppy at the Safety position, but I thought Ihedigbo got better. Unlike a certain player who's last name is Haynesworth who did nothing with his opportunity with the Pats, James Ihedigbo was the opposite and took full advantage of the opportunities that Coach Belichick gave him and made the best of it and got more playing time as the season went along. I look at James Ihedigbo as a young Rodney Harrison, a leader in that secondary and a hard-hitting safety as well. I say re-sign Ihedibo because he knows the playbook and where everyone should be at on the football field and in his second year with the team, he'll get better along side Patrick Chung. That is not a bad duo at safety if you think about, Patrick Chung and James Ihedigbo as the safeties, don't want to be the one going across the middle with those two roaming the middle.
    Posted by millergrnv[/QUOTE]

JAMES (Ihedigbo) IS THAT YOU??!! :/