If P Then Q...We run block better when logan mankins is out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

If P Then Q...We run block better when logan mankins is out

Anyone else notice this.  When logan's out our team blocks better for the running game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Re: If P Then Q...We run block better when logan mankins is out

I mentioned it in my State of the union thread... He is very expendable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Two of the games he missed were against the 2 worst run D's we faced (Jets and Buffalo).  Thomas has done a nice job, but it is a little early to jump to conclusions imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Good observation pcmIV...very true.  That said...I'm not high on Mankins...I think everyone saying he's good, he's this, he's that, etc...is just a lazy analysis.  He's not been that great.  He's always good for a couple penalties a game and honestly doesn't do anything that says "I'm the best at my position and am worth $7m per".  Run blocking is hit and miss...and we all know what happens when the opposing defensive lineman have a bit of speed. (RUN BRADY, RUN!!!)

He IS tough though...but his play doesn't impress me.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know if I'd go around saying Mankins is overrated or that we get better production out of our backup, but I was surprised that we signed signed a guard to a contract like that. I mean we are a team that doesn't like to pay and then we give all that money to a guard? They must see something they love with him. He is tough as nails and honestly he is a good run blocker, it's his pass protection that has been suspect at times. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The best Mankins played was in 2010 when he returned from his holdout in mid season. Since then he's been decent but I wouldn't say great. He had more flags thrown his way and was beat a couple of times. A few people have mentioned that they run better while he was out. They have had some big running games without him in there but it could also be because of the opponent . IDK. Being aggressive is his game but it's going to cost the Patriots a game at some point when hes flagged for a personal foul over something minor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

It's partly the new guy, Donald Thomas.  He's been kicked around the NFL for three seasons.  Maybe the Pats saw something in him.  In any case, he's played far better than anyone expected a castoff to play.  ProFootballFocus put him on their "Mid-Season All AFC East Team".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Yeah, Donald Thomas has been a pleasant surprise, he's played well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Thomas is also a nice insurance policy.  Along with filling in for Mankins, if Connolly goes down, Thomas can switch to the right side.  If Wendell is injured, Connolly can return to center with Thomas at RG. 

He fits right in with BB's flexibility philosophy.

Which begs the question, what has happened with Cannon.  I thought he was the 'right guard-in-waiting' with Waters' departure?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone else notice this.  When logan's out our team blocks better for the running game.

[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%.  Both Thomas and McDonald provide better run-blocking production.  This is especially true when you want to have your guard pull out on a run.  Mankins is slower than most in these cases; maybe due to injury, but slow nonetheless.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Also, maybe Thomas's performance is not that big of a surprise to BB and Dante Scarnecchia and is one of the reasons why the Patriots were not that aggressive $$$$-wise in pursuing Waters. 

Let's give credit where credit is due.  He was not exactly picked off the scrap heap, but BB went for him when other teams passed on him.

For those unfamiliar with his career path:

Thomas was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL draft as the 195th pick overall. He was promoted to the starting right guard on the third day of training camp over Trey Darilek. He made his NFL debut on September 7, 2008 against the New York Jets. Thomas injured his left foot in the second quarter but played through the injury and finished the game. The injury later proved to be a Lisfranc fracture and Thomas was placed on season-ending injured reserve on September 9. Thomas was released by the team at the start of the 2010 NFL season.

After trying out for several teams Thomas eventually signed with the Detroit Lions in November of the 2010 season. He was not on the active roster for any game in the 2010 NFL season.

Thomas was signed by the New England Patriots on September 14, 2011 after a season ending injury to starting center Dan Koppen created an opening on the roster. He has been utilized as a full back in short yardage situations. Thomas was brought into the starting lineup on December 24 against his former team the Miami Dolphins when starting left guard Logan Mankins went down with a knee injury.

And the rest is history.  Talent meets opportunity.  And he's earned his place under BB's policy of performance equates into playing time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I disagree 100%. Thomas has been very mediocre the entire season. I will give him 100% credit, he did play his best game of his career against the Rams. To think he is the equal of a 100% healthy Mankins is wrong.

I do agree with other comments. Look at the teams Mankins has not played against, and how those team defend the run...

I think that Thomas is a serviceable rotational back up OL...no where equal to a healthy Mankins

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

werent the ravens gashed for big run yards until we played them..mankins was in that game.  guess work but i think im right

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I disagree 100%. Thomas has been very mediocre the entire season. I will give him 100% credit, he did play his best game of his career against the Rams. To think he is the equal of a 100% healthy Mankins is wrong.

I do agree with other comments. Look at the teams Mankins has not played against, and how those team defend the run...

I think that Thomas is a serviceable rotational back up OL...no where equal to a healthy Mankins

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Take a guy like Steerling Moore for example - looked real good for a stretch - everyone thinks he's great, but you need to really watch a guy through all sorts of situations. We've seen Mankings in those, Thomas has had some good games and he's had some bad one's too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Take a guy like Steerling Moore for example - looked real good for a stretch - everyone thinks he's great, but you need to really watch a guy through all sorts of situations. We've seen Mankings in those, Thomas has had some good games and he's had some bad one's too.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Thomas or McDonald are the equal of Mankins overall, but the thread was about run-blocking and here I believe they are better.  Watch Mankins when the run calls for something other than a straight-ahead drive block.  Even on the goal line or short yardage he is not dominant.  His forte is in the passing game, dropping back to protect TB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Thomas or McDonald are the equal of Mankins overall, but the thread was about run-blocking and here I believe they are better.  Watch Mankins when the run calls for something other than a straight-ahead drive block.  Even on the goal line or short yardage he is not dominant.  His forte is in the passing game, dropping back to protect TB.

[/QUOTE]

but when you watch Mankins run block this year and last year, understand he has injuries that would sideline most any player

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

careful Hurlie. If you keep agreeing with me, Neal Page or whatever his next name is will accuse you of being me! Havent seen him on the boards lately, I think he lives in North Carolina out of his mothers house, so he is not laid up due to the storm, so I assume he has been banned. I expect him back tomorrow with a different name,  blaming you and I for his banishment

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

mankins was out vs buffalo the first time.   its early but we shall compare