If Talib Isn't Retained

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: If Talib Isn't Retained

I'd take Grimes over those guys even with his injury.

No Sean Smith?  He doesn't play zone well, but he's big.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

What a freaking difference he made last year, huh...

I'd like to see them keep Talib for sure, and then sign Donta Robinson on the cheap if possible to play some slot.  But I think BB prefers Arrington there because he plays special teams as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Talib or DRC.  Either way we will have to spend some $$$, but will be getting a good corner.  Porter is good, but couldn't stay on the field last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Who are your top choices to go after?

Here are mine in order:

1. Rodgers-Cromartie

2. Tracy Porter

3. Brent Grimes

I would have no issue going into the 2013 season with one of these guys and Dennard on the corners.

1. Chris Gamble #1 even over Talib as he is cheaper, maybe better, and less of a wild card. I personnally think he is the patriots #1 CB target

2. Quinton Jammer  as a #2/#3 CB/S

3. Ed Reed

They could do as they wish with McCourtey, either move him back to CB or have him at Safety. Have Jammer as a Dennard insurance, veteran presence and/or number 2 guy incase the year 2 DB curse strikes again (Dennard). And Ed Reed because it just seems like a classic Bill move to sign a player he loves and admires although I think a 5 million price tag is insane.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to braunzy's comment:

Here are mine in order:

1. Rodgers-Cromartie

2. Tracy Porter

3. Brent Grimes

I would have no issue going into the 2013 season with one of these guys and Dennard on the corners.

1. Chris Gamble #1 even over Talib as he is cheaper, maybe better, and less of a wild card. I personnally think he is the patriots #1 CB target

3. Ed Reed

They could do as they wish with McCourtey, either move him back to CB or have him at Safety. Have Jammer as a Dennard insurance, veteran presence and/or number 2 guy incase the year 2 DB curse strikes again (Dennard). And Ed Reed because it just seems like a classic Bill move to sign a player he loves and admires although I think a 5 million price tag is insane.

Good stuff here... but I think Talib is a better corner skill wise than Gamble.  However, I really like how you wanna use jammer.  I think he adds a lot of value to the secondary in many roles.. CB, Safety, Nickle, and Vet Leader.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Nnamdi is the only guy I would pursue, and even then, I wouldn't give him more than 5 million. I'd just hope Dowling learns how to be a man and not get hurt this season too and spend cash on pass-rush. 

DRC, Grimes and Porter are little boys who don't play man or press very well. We need bump and cover CBs, that's the one thing Talib gave us that we haven't had since Ty Law. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Here are mine in order:

1. Rodgers-Cromartie

2. Tracy Porter

3. Brent Grimes

3. Ed Reed

I like Jammer, he can man cover with the best of them, but he's not a number 1 anymore. Too slow, too old. He's a number 2 now, and Dennard isn't a number 1. Gamble will be looking for the type of cash the Pats don't have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

It's not a an updates list, but one to reference...

Best Available

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Rodgers-Cromartie was a hot commodity after his first three seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. Then he was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles and he just hasn't been the same. In his first three seasons, he had 13 interceptions and four touchdowns. In two years with Philly, he has just three interceptions and no touchdowns. The positive for Rodgers-Cromartie is that 2012 was a better year for him. He played in all 16 games, recording three interceptions and 43 tackles.

Aqib Talib

Talib has been seen as a player who has a lot of talent but can't put all the pieces together. Or, better yet, can't get out of his own way. In the midst of a four-game suspension for testing positive for Adderall this season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers traded Talib to the New England Patriots. Now, his stock has gotten a nice boost. The Patriots' secondary improved greatly with Talib, and now the five-year veteran is leading the secondary into the divisional round of the playoffs. The Patriots will likely try to re-sign Talib, but coach Bill Belichick isn't afraid to cut ties if the price gets too steep.

Quentin Jammer

Jammer has never been named to a Pro Bowl, but he is a model of consistency. The 11-year veteran has appeared in at least 14 games in every season for the San Diego Chargers. Only three times in that span did not he play in all 16 games. Jammer might not be a flashy acquisition for a team this offseason, and he might be 34 when next season starts, but he's proven over his career that he is solid and consistent -- something most teams don't get from their current crop of corners.

Derek Cox

Cox would be somewhat of a gamble for any team this offseason. The fourth-year man out of William & Mary has missed a lot of time over the past three years (he started 16 games as a rookie), but he's a pure ball hawk. In 47 games he has 12 interceptions. If he can stay healthy, whoever signs him will be happy they did.

Brent Grimes

Grimes is the dark horse of the cornerbacks on the free agent market. Grimes played just one game this season before he was put on the injured reserve with an Achilles injury. Teams would like to know he is healthy before they try to sign him, but if he is, he could be a starter for most teams. In 16 games in 2010, Grimes earned a Pro Bowl nod by picking off five passes and recording 70 tackles. He has the big-play ability teams are looking for in a corner.

Chris Houston

Houston has missed a game here or there over his career, but he's been a consistent cornerback for Detroit the last three seasons and for Atlanta the three seasons before that. The second-round pick in 2007 has 11 interceptions over the last five years. His best season was 2011, when he intercepted five passes and two of them went back for touchdowns. He had 225 interception return yards, which was the best in the NFL.

Bradley Fletcher

A third-round pick in 2009, Fletcher once had a promising future with the St. Louis Rams. His physical style of play and knack for man coverage earned him a starting job as a rookie, but his season ended early that year when he tore both his knee ligaments. Unfortunately, torn ligaments have been a theme for Fletcher's career, who tore his ACL a second time in 2011.

Sheldon Brown

If you subscribe the notion that life begins at 34, then Sheldon Brown is the corner for you. Age isn't something to be so optimistic about in the NFL. Cleveland's done with him, but some team might be able to round out their depth chart with Brown in 2013.

Sean Smith

The Dolphins cornerback is reportedly looking for a deal similar to the one that Cortland Finnegan signed last year, one that would net him $8 million to $10 million per season. He is just 25 years old, but does have a few holes in his game. Smith is a starting corner, but not a shutdown guy.

Where the cornerback market could get really interesting is the news that the Jets could trade Darrelle Revis. The bidding for the league's top corner could get especially competitive, and the cost in draft picks, not to mention the contract extension he would net, could make it an expensive affair.

The full list

Michael Adams
    Will Allen
    Kyle Arrington

Alan Ball
    E.J. Biggers
    Leigh Bodden
    Zackary Bowman
    Sheldon Brown
    Darius Butler
    Chris Carr
    Antoine Cason
    Michael Coe
    Drew Coleman
    Derek Cox
    Bradley Fletcher
    Drayton Florence
    Cedric Griffin
    Brent Grimes
    Joselio Hanson
    Kelvin Hayden
    Chris Houston
    Quentin Jammer
    Mike Jenkins
    Chris Johnson
    Pacman Jones
    Jacob Lacey
    Pat Lee
    Keenan Lewis
    Rashean Mathis
    Brice McCain
    Leodis McKelvin
    William Middleton
    D.J. Moore
    Ryan Mouton
    Captain Munnerlyn
    Terence Newman
    Chris Owens
    Tracy Porter
    Jerraud Powers
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
    Stanford Routt
    Alphonso Smith
    Sean Smith
    Shawntae Spencer
    Aqib Talib
    Greg Toler
    Marcus Trufant
    Cary Williams

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Here are mine in order:

1. Rodgers-Cromartie

2. Tracy Porter

3. Brent Grimes

3. Ed Reed

Good stuff here... but I think Talib is a better corner skill wise than Gamble.  However, I really like how you wanna use jammer.  I think he adds a lot of value to the secondary in many roles.. CB, Safety, Nickle, and Vet Leader.

You are probably right about Talib, and the Patriots already know what kind of player/teamate he is and how he fits with what they do.  I am just nervous paying a guy with his kind of history (not to mention his hip problems) 10 million a year.  Not sure what Gamble would cost but I imagine at 30 years old, he'd be more around 6 or 7 mil and I think he would be the safer signing.

I've been wrong before, all I know is I don't think the patriots could go into next season with a rookie and Dennard as their #1 and #2 corners. Would like to see a veteran or 2 or 3 added

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'd also let Arrington walk and sign SD's Antoine Cason to play in the slot.  Talented kid who has yet to reach his potential.  Maybe he never will, but he might be worth the risk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I hope they keep McCourty at S, he helped keep the deep balls at bay. He's also not nearly as good a CB as he is a FS. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Here are mine in order:

1. Rodgers-Cromartie

2. Tracy Porter

3. Brent Grimes

3. Ed Reed

You are probably right about Talib, and the Patriots already know what kind of player/teamate he is and how he fits with what they do.  I am just nervous paying a guy with his kind of history (not to mention his hip problems) 10 million a year.  Not sure what Gamble would cost but I imagine at 30 years old, he'd be more around 6 or 7 mil and I think he would be the safer signing.

I've been wrong before, all I know is I don't think the patriots could go into next season with a rookie and Dennard as their #1 and #2 corners. Would like to see a veteran or 2 or 3 added

And that's why I like the idea of maybe tagging Talib if necessary and getting someone like Jamer or Dunta Robinson on the cheap for solid depth. 

I think we can agree on one thing...  The Pats need a proven Vet or 2 at that position.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

This is quite possible the best thread on this board in a month or so.... just sayin'

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Here are mine in order:

1. Rodgers-Cromartie

2. Tracy Porter

3. Brent Grimes

3. Ed Reed

And that's why I like the idea of maybe tagging Talib if necessary and getting someone like Jamer or Dunta Robinson on the cheap for solid depth. 

I think we can agree on one thing...  The Pats need a proven Vet or 2 at that position.

Well, they could just bring back Arrington for the slot.  He's the proven vet you're speaking of whether some whiny pink hat chimes in here or not. If he gets #2 money and it's too high, then see ya. Go out and grab a Captain Munnerlyn type for nickel.

Agree on the Talib tag idea as a better option, especially now that Brady has restructured off his new extension. Makes it easier to justify it and in the end might be their best overall move.

Thinking about it... I am not sure there will be many teams throwing money at Talib... at least I hope.  They can tag him and try and work out an extension during the season if he proves to be a model citizen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

This is quite possible the best thread on this board in a month or so.... just sayin'

I agree and  your post of the available corners was great. I want to learn more about the cox kid. Could we get him on the cheap?