If The Olympics Had Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

If The Olympics Had Football

Watching the US-Finland hockey game (6-0 US in the first), I couldn't help but think if the Olympics had American football - imagine the US team taking on the Canadian team and exploding to a 59-0 lead, some in the press would accuse the American coach of "acting like Bill Belichick, running up the score."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Re: If The Olympics Had Football

Vollmer would be captain of the German squad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

I never really heard the widespread tenet, or even general notion that Pro Football is "elitist." 

I can't imagine Pro Football being a sport which is MORE expensive than Pro Hockey, for instance.  I mean a helmet, some pads, oblong inflated piece of leather/rubber and flat surface and lawnmower is certainly cheaper than a helmet, some pads & Some MORE Pads, highly compressed disk of formed rubber, THEN a region or building dedicated to maintaining perfect ice sheets and a couple of Zambonis, Right?

AND the argument that the overall Size and Strength of the athlete playing Pro Football somehow differs from the size and strength of a greco-roman-wrestler, OR a decathelete, OR a world class sprinter, OR a weight lifter...and on and on and on. 

I CAN however understand the parity of fair play since America has played Football for so long and has so many masses of players/personell immersed and versed in it's culture BUT man, America has themselves kow-towed to playing that ridiculous game where ya can only use your feet and head to hit a ball, and their ballerina athletes crying for yellow index cards when they get a cramp or shin splint...  I mean, the rest of Planet Earth is obviously wrong on THAT being a worthwhile man's sport, but The U.S. has happily abided within this fantasy...SO Why NOT Pro Football? 
         I ALSO understand the subsequent notion as to WHY Pro Football isn't a big deal in the rest of the world.  The reason is because Football is a high-scoring sport seemingly tailor-made for television viewing.  AND so the answer is again obvious: Since many other world nations still subsit on hunting-gathering societies (maybe a few trade furs too) that do not have the means nor infrastructure for 60 inch HDTV cable modems and connectivity, let alone electricity (bonfires, mammouth tusked houses & witchdoctors reign supreme)- so very sadly, THESE other places have simply no means to see Pro American Football.  AND the notion of the gluttonous high-scores is another aspect.  Not because they haven't invented counting (they haven't though), BUT because ALL they deal with are low numbers:  "Are we having 1 cabbage or No Cabbages for Dinner, or is it the spring solstice where we celebrate with human sacrifices and feast on 2 Cabbages?"  Yet, So they CAN prepare for Olympic Glory by balling up some dried twigs, or simply by using a rock to kick in between 2 trees (but again, What to do about goalposts in the desert or the artic, and so I ask again, "WHY is there Hockey?"). 

Overall, I'm left pondering even greater mysteries than that which I intended to solve...  I just know that these countries gotta get on the up and up here.  And UNTIL The U.S. stops thinking selfishly and eurocentricly, and starts showing these ravaged heathens how to chip flint into basic eating tools, OR why they should go about inventing the "roof" for their open-air structures, WE really have only ourselves to blame on this one...  Sad that some individuals take for granted what they have, while others basically starve off their 1 row potato garden (not because they haven't invented agriculture, but because they haven't invented soil yet) & these forlorn poor souls writhe in misery off their 40 inch LCD Tvs rather than seeing the true spector of Pro Football viewed on the 50 inch LCD/HDTVs which We Take For granted.  Sad how narrow-minded some people still are in this day and age.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Laz,
    Somewhere in your post is an interesting question.  Why isn't Football (American) more popular around the world?  I don't think there's something genetic in Americans that draws us to football.  The same things we like about football should draw others to the sport.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: If The Olympics Had Football:
    Laz, Somewhere in your post is an interesting question.  Why isn't Football (American) more popular around the world?  I don't think there's something genetic in Americans that draws us to football.  The same things we like about football should draw others to the sport.
    Posted by shenanigan

They are drawn to it. They just call it rugby.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Not only would the American team beat everyone in embarrassing fashion, but they would probably decapitate half the players on the other team in the process.  It would be like the Patriots playing a Massachusetts high school football team.  Funny thought though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Laz, Somewhere in your post is an interesting question."

~That wasn't my intention...musta been incidental somehow. 

"Why isn't Football (American) more popular around the world?"

~This I thought I actually clarified quite extensively:  "Rof, What is that living dream world behind clear surface."  "Dunno Ugbah, but don't touch or you might fall through."
         Sheez what's wrong with you shenanigan and root...stop being so narrow-minded that we shouldn't at least try to help these godless stoneage heathens with the idealistic sensitivity which can only be found by enacting a kind but somewhat minorly suffocating use of compassionate & unaltering will as we place our correct culture over their hitherto misguided barbarism.  Wonder if we have to clothe them too?  No, nope...we'll save alot of time by simply painting their jersey numbers on their bare skin.  

~Seriously though Shenanigan: "WHY isn't Football more worldly popular?"

Part, very well could be a little bit of the cultural divide.  High-scoring, glitz, glamour, excess, consumption, larger than life athletes & figureheads=Pro Football=American Culture.  
         Also, it's odd, How what americans dislike as boring in soccer (2 goal games), other nations find football boring (4 second plays then a minute of rest and set up for the next 4 second play).  American's, more imho than ANY other culture want things fast, immediate, intense (usually violent) and quickly satisfying.  We are the highest stressed, fastest paced culture.  Bombarded with info, images and a zillion details, somewhere in our quest for immediacy we lost the "process" itself.
         FINALLY, Root also nailed it with Rugby.  It's really not that far off from Football.  AND ironically enough, with all these myriads of NFL Commisioner/Competition Committee Rule Changes (wink-wink-"clarifications")taking place year after year- There's something to be said about the simplicity of other games (like Rugby) as they're played out with less impeding officials and strangling complex rules (probably a reason many of us long-time diehard NFL Fans, actually still enjoy watching a good tough Defense).   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I would guess it's because the game isn't in schools, or on T.V.  It's easily the most complicated sport around, not as simple as "put a ball or puck in a goal".  It also doesn't translate into pickup games very well.  Can't play 1 on 1, 2 on 2 isn't very good either, tackling hurts without pads.  It's this complexity with strategy that makes it better IMO, but that's what makes it hard for outsiders to pick up the game. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I would guess it's because the game isn't in schools, or on T.V.  It's easily the most complicated sport around, not as simple as "put a ball or puck in a goal".  It also doesn't translate into pickup games very well.  Can't play 1 on 1, 2 on 2 isn't very good either, tackling hurts without pads.  It's this complexity with strategy that makes it better IMO, but that's what makes it hard for outsiders to pick up the game."

Fine, why don't you simplify things and make far more clear, concise and rational sense than me while you're at it...just- whatever.  Cuz, it's not gonna stop me from stickin to my "Straw man convert & subjugate the heathens under logical positivism theory held up by western society's decay & excess with further tenets from perpetual motion hockey zamboni machines weighed over and above the bag of Cheetos I'm currently eating" (I figure that's what we're gonna call my theory in short)... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

" I would guess it's because the game isn't in schools, or on T.V.  It's easily the most complicated sport around, not as simple as "put a ball or puck in a goal".  It also doesn't translate into pickup games very well.  Can't play 1 on 1, 2 on 2 isn't very good either, tackling hurts without pads.  It's this complexity with strategy that makes it better IMO, but that's what makes it hard for outsiders to pick up the game ." Fine, why don't you simplify things and make far more clear, concise and rational sense than me while you're at it...just- whatever.  Cuz, it's not gonna stop me from stickin to my "Straw man convert & subjugate the heathens under logical positivism theory held up by western society's decay & excess with further tenets from perpetual motion hockey zamboni machines weighed over and above the bag of Cheetos I'm currently eating" (I figure that's what we're gonna call my theory in short)... 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

I was going to sum it up as American patronization, but yours works.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I wonder if the fact that you can't actually see the players has anything to do with American football's lack of appeal outside the US. With rare exception, these guys are just interchangeable numbers and, to paraphrase Jerry Seinfeld, you're really just rooting for laundry out there. Look at this forum. One day you've got virtually everyone on the board agreeing that Ladanian Tomlinson is a whiny little deusche who disappears at the end of the season and then -- as if by some strange magic -- when Tomlinson is realeased because the people who pay him recognize what I just said about him, here come the threads about how awesome he would be under the Flying Elvis.

It doesn't matter who the players are.

You're rooting for a corporate logo (Rollerball, anyone?)

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I just wonder if futbol fans feel the same way if and when Ronaldo (How many Ronaldos are there now?) sells his services to the highest bidder. And even if he does and they do, at least they can see his face when they jeer him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"It doesn't matter who the players are.
    You're rooting for a corporate logo (Rollerball, anyone?)
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    I just wonder if futbol fans feel the same way if and when Ronaldo (How many Ronaldos are there now?) sells his services to the highest bidder. And even if he does and they do, at least they can see his face when they jeer him
    ."

Prairie, that's not really fair to even suggest another culture can sell-out every bit of their values & ideals for monetary gain like only an American can or could...  I mean even after seeing both the original & ripoff "Rollerball" movies, the only aspect of monopolized conglomerate greed which I was left with-Was what my Cable Bill was gonna be as I waxed dumbfounded about why I ordered BOTH movie versions On Demand (I catch on pretty slow).  
         So still if ever asked to, I'd play rollerball for some moneygrubbing billionaire's enjoyment of my blood in a second...and not just because I sadistically like bashing people to the ground without pity nor legal repercussion (a bonus), but because I've always wanted to live in the 1970's version of the future.  ALL hard, smooth, and clean surfaces with straight & open architecture lines.  See, IF I lived in such a paradise-future world, I'd wonder less about what became of the exponential population growth from the 20th century because I'd be too busy stuffing myself on deluciously plentiful soilent green entrees while pondering overall more as to- WHY the only great improvements humanity has made were more uniform dress codes and stuff like white rather than red fire hydrants (if I'm James Caan I got a real issue with that).     

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Soylent Green is people, you know.

IT'S PEOPLE!!!

(not to be confused with the ape planet, which was a madhouse . . .

A MADHOUSE!!!

Boy, that Charlton Heston really had some range, didn't he?)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

OK, obviously nobody wants to go near the third rail in this discussion, but since something like 70% of the NFL are composed of African Americans, and there's no other country that can compare in terms of demographics in that regard...

I disagree that other countries don't produce big enough or strong enough or fast enough athletes, e.g., Usain Bolt, they just don't have the sheer numbers.  Nor do they have anything comparable anywhere in the world to the NCAA.

Then again, 20 years ago, who would have guessed that the a U.S. basketball team comprised of NBA all-stars would not even win a medal in the Olympics.  But it happened. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Oh, there's plenty of countries that can compare in demographics, but most of those people are more worried about being "cleansed" before given a proper chance to starve.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

In Response to If The Olympics Had Football:
    Watching the US-Finland hockey game (6-0 US in the first), I couldn't help but think if the Olympics had American football - imagine the US team taking on the Canadian team and exploding to a 59-0 lead, some in the press would accuse the American coach of "acting like Bill Belichick, running up the score."
    Posted by STP43FAN

The olympics are for those people that think they actually have a sport worth watching.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

i think we could build a high school team and smash the world's teams 65-0. 

nevermind college. 

who on a world team is going to stop a guy like Engram? or take a big hit from Berry and live to talk about it? or cover Dez Bryant?   ANyone wanna get in the way of McClain? or Spikes? 

and forthe NFL......Andre Johnson, Ed Reed, Willis, lol and NO one on the worlds team will make a catch against Revis and Winfield. 

picture some finland guy trying to stop Freeney's bullrush lmao

or trying to tackle Reggie Bush

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

To quote the great Kenny Powers "I like team sports; not trying to be the best at exercising".

American football is elitist, in the sense that a good college program will spend a ton of money on great equipment, stadium, players (Alumni boosters etc...). It would be interesting to see how much money is spent on a good college football program vs.  First Division U K soccer teams (not Premier league, which is huge money, but the tier below that). Soocer is universal because all you need is a ball and goalposts. You can live in abject poverty and still be a great soccer player. Given the equipment required for both hockey and football it would be difficult for any impoverished country to churn out successful players year after year, like a good college program.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

maybe they could add rugby to the summer olympics, of course our rugby team is not up their with the top teams in the wolrd but it won't be long.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajorme. Show ajorme's posts

@kansaspatriot

they have, they are playing sevens rugby in 2016

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

maybe they could add rugby to the summer olympics, of course our rugby team is not up their with the top teams in the wolrd but it won't be long.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Nah, it would be like soccer.  We'd never be a power because our best athletes won't play it.  Just the guys not good enough to make it in football, baseball, etc. where they can get paid.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Soylent Green is people, you know.
    IT'S PEOPLE!!!
    (not to be confused with the ape planet, which was a madhouse . . .
    A MADHOUSE!!!
    Boy, that Charlton Heston really had some range, didn't he?)
    ."

Kinda weird that a loud & psychotic character actor in overlyviolent & thoughtless decayed-civilization films that Charlton Heston stars in, Became the spokesman for the NRA...idk, I just wouldn't have seen that comin.

Also, what they don't tell ya about soylent green is that it's right there as the only ingredient on the can...INGREDIENTS:  people.  I mean man, why is Heston so up in arms on this one here (personally you can real bring out the true flavour when it's fresh outta the can-with just a tad of Mrs.Dash...and a little Chiiianti). 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

It does. We call it soccer though.