If the Patriots were to enter FA would they sign...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

If the Patriots were to enter FA would they sign...?

Looking at the Roster I could see the Patriots still making some adjustments to certain areas. Now having said that I looked at the top 5 or so players at every position and I came up with my top 5 list of players who if I were them I would be thinking about.

RB: Tim Hightower and Cedrick Benson. Hightower obviously has to be deemed healthy from his surgicaly repaired knee but heintreagues me at just 25. Benson has 3 straight 1000 yard seasons and yeah off the field is the issue there but no different then Dillon.

OG: Jake Scott was with the Titans, and has 121 career starts. He is on my radar only if I feel vulnerable to what Brian Waters will do or if there is an injury on the interior.

DT: Aubrayo Franklin is a run stuffer in a 3-4 but has little if any flexability so it is a 3-4 team that needs to sign him. Not sure we need him but if there is an injury concern inside he is the man.

CB: Leigh Bodden (yup him) he is coming off back surgery and says he is going to be ready by training camp to participate and ready to play by september. If he is right again he is worth keeping an eye on I would think.

So  here is the poll I am interested in from this list. Given what we know of the current roster would you give any of these guys more then a passing glance if you were BB?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: If the Patriots were to enter FA would they sign...?

I almost said Leigh Bodden over Jake but I have a feeling we will be ok in the DB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We have 73 players coming into camp now... how many guys are we bringing to camp again?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: If the Patriots were to enter FA would they sign...?:
    [QUOTE]We have 73 players coming into camp now... how many guys are we bringing to camp again?
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    I heard most of the NFL!!!  LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

If I heard correctly training camp rosters can be as many as 90 players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to If the Patriots were to enter FA would they sign...?:
    [QUOTE]Looking at the Roster I could see the Patriots still making some adjustments to certain areas. Now having said that I looked at the top 5 or so players at every position and I came up with my top 5 list of players who if I were them I would be thinking about. RB: Tim Hightower and Cedrick Benson. Hightower obviously has to be deemed healthy from his surgicaly repaired knee but heintreagues me at just 25. Benson has 3 straight 1000 yard seasons and yeah off the field is the issue there but no different then Dillon. OG: Jake Scott was with the Titans, and has 121 career starts. He is on my radar only if I feel vulnerable to what Brian Waters will do or if there is an injury on the interior. DT: Aubrayo Franklin is a run stuffer in a 3-4 but has little if any flexability so it is a 3-4 team that needs to sign him. Not sure we need him but if there is an injury concern inside he is the man. CB: Leigh Bodden (yup him) he is coming off back surgery and says he is going to be ready by training camp to participate and ready to play by september. If he is right again he is worth keeping an eye on I would think. So  here is the poll I am interested in from this list. Given what we know of the current roster would you give any of these guys more then a passing glance if you were BB?
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

Just going through the list you have:

RB - I think we're allset. They brought in Hightower, Grant, and Addai and only one of them currently have a job (the one we signed). Given that they decided to sign Addai over anyone else available leads me to believe they feel they are set at RB with Woohead, Vereen, and Ridley. Don't forgot they also have 3 FB's currently signed and the addition of Bolden. Even if they carry 5 backs this year there's already a log jam and good competition in camp

OG - With G you might see a vet brought in but with Mankins appearing like he'll be fully healed either right before or right after the start of pre-season and Waters looking less likely to retire this year again there is a log jam. Behind Waters and Mankins you have swing players Cannon and Gallery who on their own could be starters. Then you have Connolly who could move over in a pinch and has started along with McDonald and Wendell who will be in for a fight with the UDFA Warren. Given they usually only run 8-9 OL on the gameday roster and around 10 on the 53 man another vet might make good camp competition but not really needed. I'd rather let the new guys try to develop and rely on Gallery and Connolly as vet backups if need be

DT - This one I think you might have some traction but not for a run stuffer. Love, Brace, Wilfork, G Warren, Deadrick can all be interior run stuffers what they are missing is an interior pass rusher. Now, Fanene could be that guy though I like the idea of using him like they did in Cinn as an overpowering large DE in a 43. Pryor is another DL that some believe could be an interior pass rusher if he can stay healthy. I'd still fell more comfortable getting a vet interior pass rusher. However, I see a large number of vet DL being released this year because of the depth and talent of the DL in the last 2 years drafts. I would wait for cut down days and see who gets released before making a move.

43 DE - If Carter is healthy I would take him back in a heart beat. Give him Bequette and Jones and just let him mentor for a year giving him 40% of the snaps, keeping an eye on those old legs

CB - I like the idea of grabbing another vet CB before pre-season starts. our CB core is still extremely young and the idea of grabbing a second vet (Allen being the first) could make a huge difference. I'm just not sure Bodden is that guy now am I convinced he wants to be that guy given how he exited. Maybe a Phillip Buchanon or Drew Coleman?

Anyways, that's my thoughts but all in all I like the team how it's currently setup and don't see the need for major additions. More like adding a couple vet presences to see if they have anything left in the tank or pre-season competition

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

[QUOTE]We have 73 players coming into camp now... how many guys are we bringing to camp again?
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    I believe our roster is at 89 or 90 with the UDFAs and I think the team can also have non-roster guys in for 'try-outs' as well so who knows how many of those BB has lined up. The Pats site has 81 listed but does not include any UDFAs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

I wouldn't mind Bodden back for 1 year if he has that "something to prove for another contract" attitude. Then let him leave in FA the following year

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I forget where I heard this but in total the Patriots have 90 players but they can take exceptions for a few of them for some reason which allows them to come into camp with 93 if they wanted.

Honestly I am not looking to run out and sign anyone but was just curious if you were going to sign one more who would it be and the 5 I listed seem to me to be close to the best 5 available at positions the patriots might have an interest.

Bodden or Scott are my two most likely still but I wouldn't bet on any of them I love this roster as it is right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I think FA is pretty much over don't you. We pciked up alot just before the thing called the draft.

All that's left are undrafted FAs, and I think BB got his fill of those too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

As teams cut players, the Pats may reshuffle the 90-man roster.  Also expect guys to be cut during camp and the preseason and other guys (undrafted rookies or free agent veterans) to show up to take their places. I think RBs (especially veterans), WRs, and DBs are all prime targets for the Pats.  LBs, DLs, and OLs will also be considered, though I think BB has already addressed those positions to a large degree in the draft and free agency. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to If the Patriots were to enter FA would they sign...?:
    [QUOTE]Looking at the Roster I could see the Patriots still making some adjustments to certain areas. Now having said that I looked at the top 5 or so players at every position and I came up with my top 5 list of players who if I were them I would be thinking about. RB: Tim Hightower and Cedrick Benson. Hightower obviously has to be deemed healthy from his surgicaly repaired knee but heintreagues me at just 25. Benson has 3 straight 1000 yard seasons and yeah off the field is the issue there but no different then Dillon. OG: Jake Scott was with the Titans, and has 121 career starts. He is on my radar only if I feel vulnerable to what Brian Waters will do or if there is an injury on the interior. DT: Aubrayo Franklin is a run stuffer in a 3-4 but has little if any flexability so it is a 3-4 team that needs to sign him. Not sure we need him but if there is an injury concern inside he is the man. CB: Leigh Bodden (yup him) he is coming off back surgery and says he is going to be ready by training camp to participate and ready to play by september. If he is right again he is worth keeping an eye on I would think. So  here is the poll I am interested in from this list. Given what we know of the current roster would you give any of these guys more then a passing glance if you were BB?
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

I think they could of had either of these running backs and so could of the rest of the league - hopefully Addai was chosen ahead of these two for a reason.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

[QUOTE]As teams cut players, the Pats may reshuffle the 90-man roster.  Also expect guys to be cut during camp and the preseason and other guys (undrafted rookies or free agent veterans) to show up to take their places. I think RBs (especially veterans), WRs, and DBs are all prime targets for the Pats.  LBs, DLs, and OLs will also be considered, though I think BB has already addressed those positions to a large degree in the draft and free agency. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]
    Good point - I don't think there is much interest in any more UDFAs or FAs at this point except Carter (and I am not sure how much genuine interest they have there?) But ... since the draft we have seen two starting CBs cut and a WR/KR cut from other teams, and there are going to be a lot more as the summer wears on. There is a date in June, can't remember the exact date, where if a vet is cut after that date, the dead money on his contract (signing bonus) can be split between this year and next years cap - so right after that date there could be a wave of vets cut. As the OTAs and mini-camp roll on we will have more injuries and some of the borderline guys on rosters will get cut as teams get a better look at the players. After OTAs I could see the Pats making a few changes to their back end.
    There was also a report that three extra bodies were present this weekend - guys on 'try-out' - which means not part of the 90 man roster. Not sure if the team can provide anything in terms of expense money or insurance for these guys - I assume they get lunch.
    On that June date - a player like Freeney might fall into the veteran cut group - not sure how much dead money the Colts have tied up with him, but waiting till after that date would at least allow them to spread it over the two years rather than taking the whole hit this year. It may be an important date for Ocho as well on our roster as there is quite a bit of dead money from his signing bonus.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I would bet a steak dinner there will be some shuffling of the roster over the next couple months. I do not think they are panicing over needing anything, but if the right player comes available or after mini camps it looks like they need an adjustment they are in a good place for making that move. So having said that I posed the question for discussion... no negative conotations for Pats and their management.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Of the guys i hear that are still out there...I pick up Bell at safety and carter at De.  The rest are injury replacements only IMHO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The Pats will still have FA's in for visits. You never know when you need to call a guy to replace a PS player. Or a stacked position all of a sudden becomes riddled with injurys. Havins 90 how do you even get to see what the marginal players can do, theres only so many reps. And now they play puz camp where you can only hit so many practices a season it must be tough to evaluate. Taking FA over a UDFA at least the guy knows something about the NFL. Probably knows how to fill out the expense reports and just the logistical stuff that we dont even know that goes on. Something to be said about not having to babysit a new guy.