If the Pats let Welker go and Gronk gets hurt...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

If the Pats let Welker go and Gronk gets hurt...

The Patriots will have one of the softest, least talented offense in the league!  And it will yet again be another wasted season!  How does that strike you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: If the Pats let Welker go and Gronk gets hurt...

That's why you'd have to replace him with a Fitzgerald type.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

it was already pretty soft on sunday...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Don't worry we'll bring 6 old washed up WR into camp and sign a 6'3" WR in the 7th round who will be cut then signed to the practice squad never to see the field.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

I don't think there is any way we could get Fitzgerald, and the defense would still need a lot of work.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

The Patriots will have one of the softest, least talented offense in the league!  And it will yet again be another wasted season!  How does that strike you?

lol if they let Welker go I trust they will replace him with another player. Most likely not as talented but then if they find a real 3rd WR overall it's an upgrade. They also have Ballard who will be a better Gronk replacement then Fells in the passing game so they will be better suited in case of Gronk injury than this year. So lets see what they do this offseason but right now I'm fine with it because we should be able to replace Welker (which yes would be a downgrade) and add better WR depth which would be a plus not a minus overall

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

there is only one Fitz and one C Johnson. It might be better to say Bolden, Marshall, Cruz type

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to brazilnut's comment:

I don't think there is any way we could get Fitzgerald, and the defense would still need a lot of work.

Sign Talib, take a look at Osi or someone of his type. Look, there's no way around this. Money will have to be spent to fix the problem. I'm not sure where they are with the cap, but one thing this team has got to have is a receiver to stretch the field.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I like the Patriots.  Good team.  Not quite good enough this year.  I don't believe in windows closing, a team that is well managed always can field a good group of players.  I think WR is a need, along with CB.  I like Dennard and Talib, but one needs to be resigned and we still need strong backups.  Liked the defense pretty well once Talib signed up.  Offense needs a stretch the field receiver.  Maybe a possesion receiver too.  Other than that, I'm thinking we are set.  Oh, let Mallet get reps for real this time, we need to know if he's the NEXT or if he is the JAG.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I suspect Edelman can drop the Lombardi just as well as Wes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

If you are counting on Edelman to take Welkers spot then I'm afraid the only way the Pats see a super bowl is either on tv or purchasing a ticket!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

If you are counting on Edelman to take Welkers spot then I'm afraid the only way the Pats see a super bowl is either on tv or purchasing a ticket!

C'mon, they can probably get their hands tickets for free...

Seriously, I definitely do not want them to let Wes walk unless there is a plan that involves replacing him with another player from outside the organization.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

C'mon, they can probably get their hands tickets for free...

Seriously, I definitely do not want them to let Wes walk unless there is a plan that involves replacing him with another player from outside the organization.

Hahaha.  Some of the players might get some free tickets.

I just don't see another player even outside who can come in and do what Welker does.  And it would be a bad idea to have Brady try and work with a new guy at this stage of his career.  Brady and Welker have the jedi mind thing going on, it has taken time for that to develop between them, you can't bring a new guy in and expect Brady to have that with someone new.  It take time, Brady doesn't have that time. It's a complicated offense, do you really want to even try that?

You resign Welker and ride him and brady to the end. Bring in a legit deep threat and sort out the running game merry go round and your offense is good to go!  A couple key guys to come in on D and It's Super Bowl City!!  Heck, bring in a deep threat and fix the run game and they could carry this current D over the top as is!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Couldn't win the superbowl with Welker in his prime. Let him go if he wants too much money. Pats need a receiver that can get separation and catch key passes in the post season not receivers the put up huge numbers in the regular season only to be blotted out in the posts season

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If they're not going to win it then they might as well watch it with the rest of us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:

Couldn't win the superbowl with Welker in his prime. Let him go if he wants too much money. Pats need a receiver that can get separation and catch key passes in the post season not receivers the put up huge numbers in the regular season only to be blotted out in the posts season

Because they didn't have a deep threat!  You need to follow along here.  The Patriots 2007 had the SB won, they drove the ball down and scored a late go ahead TD to win.  The Defense blew it and a once in a lifetime catch by a receiver who never played another down in his life after that super bowl.  It was a fluke! 

Since then they didn't have a a complete team.  Brady gets hurt the next season, Welker gets hurt the season after and they let moss go in 2010. 

I'm going to put this in bold so everyone can see it!

With the Patriots offense they run they need a legit deep threat!  They need a a receiver for the middle of the field, Lloyd will do, and they need Wes Welker doing what he does for the short to mid field passing game.  The TE's are bonus.  No way a defense can cover them all.  The field will be wide open.  This will also help out the run game as the defense will be spread out.  If you don't have a deep threat then the D can crowd the short and mid field which greatly hurts the run game and is easier for them to defend the short to mid field passing game.  Welker causes problems for Defenses.  He has earned the respect of defenses.  Defense game plan around Welker, he cause nightmares for defenses.  This opens up the deep ball.  You let Welker walk then the deep ball won't be there for your deep threat, they will take him out of the game.  It's that easy folks!  All the Offense needs is a legit deep threat and to keep Welker.  Otherwise you better change your entire offensive system because it isn't working and I just described why it isn't working.  And to take advantage of Brady being here they don't have time to change the entire offensive system.  Do that whne Brady retires and Mallet takes over.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Lloyd is a good #2 wr

Welker is a great #2 wr

THAT IS THE PROBLEM the 2 players need a greatest WR on the field for them to dominate.

To me, no matter what happens with Wes Welker contract, the pats need a true #1 reciever

If you let welker walk, and gronk gets hurt = #1 wr + Lloyd + hernandez + edelman, that is not too bad, considering Gronk is by far the best offensive player in this team (brady).

If the pats pay welker... WE STILL NEED A #1 WR...

#1 wr          #2 welker     #3 Lloyd + Gronkandes = great offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Because they didn't have a deep threat!  You need to follow along here.  The Patriots 2007 had the SB won, they drove the ball down and scored a late go ahead TD to win.  The Defense blew it and a once in a lifetime catch by a receiver who never played another down in his life after that super bowl.  It was a fluke! 

Since then they didn't have a a complete team.  Brady gets hurt the next season, Welker gets hurt the season after and they let moss go in 2010. 

With the Patriots offense they run they need a legit deep threat!  They need a a receiver for the middle of the field, Lloyd will do, and they need Wes Welker doing what he does for the short to mid field passing game.  The TE's are bonus.  No way a defense can cover them all.  The field will be wide open.  This will also help out the run game as the defense will be spread out.  If you don't have a deep threat then the D can crowd the short and mid field which greatly hurts the run game and is easier for them to defend the short to mid field passing game.  Welker causes problems for Defenses.  He has earned the respect of defenses.  Defense game plan around Welker, he cause nightmares for defenses.  This opens up the deep ball.  You let Welker walk then the deep ball won't be there for your deep threat, they will take him out of the game.  It's that easy folks!  All the Offense needs is a legit deep threat and to keep Welker.  Otherwise you better change your entire offensive system because it isn't working and I just described why it isn't working.  And to take advantage of Brady being here they don't have time to change the entire offensive system.  Do that whne Brady retires and Mallet takes over.

I disagree in that I think they should change the offensive system. McDaniels is a guy who knows how to pile up regular season stats. He gets too cute for his own good and some of his play calling is just plain awful. 

If you can keep Welker for short money keep him. If he is looking for years and dollars let him walk and use that money for some one who can do what you are talking about. Welker's greatness come from the system the Patriots use and the system the use since Weis left does not win championships.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

BB should go talk Tony Gonzalez out of retirement.  Can you imagine a team trying to cover both of the best TEs of all time...?

Is this as doable as my intuition suggests...?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

As far as the Welker issue... The guy has made his money.  He should retire while he can still walk and talk. 

He's already lost a step which causes him to get creamed more often.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

But they still only scored 14 points in that Superbowl with Welker and Moss. They scored more in each of their victories with receivers like Givens,Patten and Bethel Johnson.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

You make it sound so easy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

14 points in '07, 17 in '11, 13 in '12.

What's the common denominator... ?  could it be forcing the ball to Welker...?  And the addiction ( remember my thread?) of a QB who gets accustomed to the instant separation that Welker usually gets in the more passive regular season..?

To me this is more and more obvious.  600 catches is a lot.  Brady has Welker on the brain and the sooner he gets weaned off this safety blanket that kills him in the playoffs the better... 

Sections
Shortcuts