IF the Pats trade up...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

IF the Pats trade up...

... I'd love to see them target Rolando McClain or Eric Berry.
    (I don't think they will in a deep draft - just sayin')

McClain could be had with Jacksonville's pick, which is apparently available, as well as Buffalo's pick if they try to trade down to fill more needs.  I think Gary Guyton struggled to disengage from blocks and sometimes got overpowered.  Anybody who watched two seconds of the NCAA Championship game last fall and saw Alabama's defense pre-snap knew that McClain was running the show in Nick Saban's NFL-influenced defense.  He also happens to be an absolute tank at 6'4" 260, big enough to stone guards in their tracks.  Picking him would also bring back Jerod Mayo, who some theorize struggled because Guyton's struggles caused the middle to get clogged up.

Apparently Scott Pioli is also trying to trade down from #5, which would be high enough to usurp the Browns and target Eric Berry (and the Browns might be hyping Berry to target a QB anyway).  If Eric Berry is the second coming of Ed Reed or anything close to it, then he'd be worth the picks taken to move up to get him because safety is preeminently important in a pass-first league, and because I think that this draft is deep enough with hybrid DE/OLB's to nab one with one of the second round picks and still get a quality player.

I don't think the Pats need a defensive tackle and I don't think Suh (who's never played DE) or Gerald McCoy (who grades out as a one-gap defender suited for a 4-3) would be worth the risk (big contracts for defensive linemen when the position is notoriously risky to take high in the draft).

I do think McClain and Berry would be worth the price, though.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

Re: IF the Pats trade up...

In Response to IF the Pats trade up...:
    ... I'd love to see them target Rolando McClain or Eric Berry. (I don't think they will in a deep draft - just sayin') McClain could be had with Jacksonville's pick, which is apparently available, as well as Buffalo's pick if they try to trade down to fill more needs.  I think Gary Guyton struggled to disengage from blocks and sometimes got overpowered.  Anybody who watched two seconds of the NCAA Championship game last fall and saw Alabama's defense pre-snap knew that McClain was running the show in Nick Saban's NFL-influenced defense.  He also happens to be an absolute tank at 6'4" 260, big enough to stone guards in their tracks.  Picking him would also bring back Jerod Mayo, who some theorize struggled because Guyton's struggles caused the middle to get clogged up. Apparently Scott Pioli is also trying to trade down from #5, which would be high enough to usurp the Browns and target Eric Berry (and the Browns might be hyping Berry to target a QB anyway).  If Eric Berry is the second coming of Ed Reed or anything close to it, then he'd be worth the picks taken to move up to get him because safety is preeminently important in a pass-first league, and because I think that this draft is deep enough with hybrid DE/OLB's to nab one with one of the second round picks and still get a quality player. I don't think the Pats need a defensive tackle and I don't think Suh (who's never played DE) or Gerald McCoy (who grades out as a one-gap defender suited for a 4-3) would be worth the risk (big contracts for defensive linemen when the position is notoriously risky to take high in the draft). I do think McClain and Berry would be worth the price, though. Thoughts?
    Posted by NickC1188

I agree with you on McClain...if we moved up i want him too...he is a beast. And put him next to Mayo..watch out. Then draft a OLB/DE later in the second Ricky Sapp maybe.

Berry is an Ed Reed Clone....i def think he is gone before 10. but if he slipped there. it would be tough to choose between him and mcclain

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaHindu. Show DaHindu's posts

No i dont think another safety is commin into town. Not after Drafting Chung And Brandon with their first round picks in a span of 2 years, if they let Pat,Brandon,Darrius mature they'll be set for a long time to come

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: IF the Pats trade up...:
    No i dont think another safety is commin into town. Not after Drafting Chung And Brandon with their first round picks in a span of 2 years, if they let Pat,Brandon,Darrius mature they'll be set for a long time to come
    Posted by DaHindu

If Eric Berry is indeed an Ed Reed clone, then he'd be worth trading Merriweather/Chung and a couple picks to move into position to draft him.

Ed Reed is a game-changing safety who makes life difficult for passers through a rare combination of athleticism and smarts.

I think acquiring a safety like that in a pass-happy league would be worth almost any cost.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If the Patriots trade up in the first round,I'll be the winner of the Powerball lottery by Saturday evening. BB is so against paying unproven rookies big bucks that if he did trade up he would be going against his own beliefs. Would it be nice too acquire the rights  to a Berry,Haden,McClain you bet ya! Now back to reality,BB will more than likely trade down and then out of the first round.

Sections
Shortcuts