If these two things happen we can make a run at it.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

If these two things happen we can make a run at it.

If Shawn Springs starts to play and play well in the play-offs and if Derek Burgess starts to figure out our system and get to the QB we could win the whole thing.

Burgess has been a bust no doubt so far but maybe he just didnt get it, maybe he figures it out at the right time and changes everything.

Maybe Shawn Springs was not playing because maybe BB was saving him for the playoffs since he is injury prone.

If these two guys make an impact at the right time it could be exactly what we need to push for a title. Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: If these two things happen we can make a run at it.

Pass rush is the biggest weakness and your right if Burgess can make impact at all it will help and it also will free up TBC to rush the passer. My worry from here forward is Brady and Wilfork, both are *banged up and could use a week off but the team needs both to play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I dont think Brady is as hurt as they are letting on. First of all when are we ever this open about a players health? And two he just had a baby. I thin he has been taking time off due to the new born baby in his house rather then to injury. I dont think he is nearly as hurt as they are saying. Its a ruse.

Wilfork on the other hand is hurt but its a foot injury so i think he will play through it.

But if Burgess can start making plays this whole team could change before our eyes into a real contender. All of Belichicks's pieces would start coming together and all the moves that looked like bad moves would look like it just took a while to get going. And I really think Springs has been out because we are saving him for the playoffs. I know its crazy but we did it with people in the past like Tyrone Poole.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

While I certainly don't condone his actions in any way, I think it's weird from a scheme perspective that the Patriots' best pass rusher, Adalius Thomas, hasn't been used as a pass rusher this year.

He got a sack against Brees, which is very hard to do (less than 15 people have done it this year to date).

My two things:
    -> Red zone offense
    -> Red zone defense.

Hold them to field goals and turnovers while scoring more touchdowns.  Sounds easier than it is.

I'm hoping that the defense gets its act together so they can start using more elaborate schemes.  Tedy Bruschi on the ESPNBoston chat here seemed to imply that the Pats were scaling back their plays on defense because the kids couldn't execute the more complex ones:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

belichick himself said they started simplifying things last week

In Response to Re: If these two things happen we can make a run at it.:
    [QUOTE]While I certainly don't condone his actions in any way, I think it's weird from a scheme perspective that the Patriots' best pass rusher, Adalius Thomas, hasn't been used as a pass rusher this year. He got a sack against Brees, which is very hard to do (less than 15 people have done it this year to date). My two things: - /> Red zone offense -> Red zone defense. Hold them to field goals and turnovers while scoring more touchdowns.  Sounds easier than it is. I'm hoping that the defense gets its act together so they can start using more elaborate schemes.  Tedy Bruschi on the ESPNBoston chat here seemed to imply that the Pats were scaling back their plays on defense because the kids couldn't execute the more complex ones: http://espn.go.com/boston/chat/_/id/29905/espnboston-patriots
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

We have a number of issues, but we only need to fix a couple of them to do quite well from here on out.  As I've mentioned before, 4 of our losses were by a small margin.

1. I agree with most that pass rush is our most pressing issue, but i don't see a fix.  Nick may have a point in at least trying Adios as a pure pass rusher.  Reiss brought up the same thing in his chat.

2. The O-Line woes have been the source of a couple of issues; inconsistent run game and Brady getting too much pressure.  A great example of how sacks don't tell the whole story.  His sack count is low, but he's been pressured a lot.  Having both Vollmer and Light on the line together produced good results last week.  This could be the tweak we need to solve this particular woe.

3. If BB continues to get more involved with the play calling as he did last week, maybe we'll continue to improve in that regard too.  Although we tried the same 4th down play, overall we diversified our offense.  The return of Fred Taylor should help the cause.  I hate pass happy offenses.  They make great highlights, but bring in few championships.

We are not as bad as some think we are.  A couple of improvements and we're going to surprise some people in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I think defensive pressure on the QB is the key to the whole thing.  I like a 4-3 with Burgess and TBC on the ends, as hybrids.  Wright and Green in the middle till Wilfork is up.  Mayo, Guyton and Woods in the LB spots.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I think we have the players they just have not shown up this year so I guess what I am saying is how good do you think we could be if these guys start showing up? If Adalius Thomas and Burgess start getting after the QB and helping TBC get to the QB, if Shawn Springs plays in the playoffs and does good enough to let us throw Wilhite  where he belongs as a nickel CB and maybe Butler and Chung come on strong in the playoffs. Belichick always says rookies are no longer rookies by the time they get to the playoffs. So maybe if Chung and Butler and Springs all start making plays with the same going for the pass rush maybe that sets the D up for a strong push in the playoffs. Now if that happens and we start playing better offense maybe we could still do this. Its all a matter of the guys we got stepping up if they do that at the right time we will be a scary team in the playoffs. But they only have a few weeks left to get their sh*t together.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

Sorry MVPKilla2009  but frankly I was hoping for a lil more BEEF in your post .

You actually think the 2 most important keys to a Pats turn @ are just an ancient SPRINGS sudden re-birth occur & D BURGESS to miraculously finally find some giddy-up in his step ?

Off the top of my head , I can think of 3 MUCH MORE IMPORTANT KEYS :

1) Fix the short yardage & overall 2nd half play calling .
     2) Whip the D into shape by requiring them to HIT ( havn't seen em lay a skull cracker in months )i.e. Mr Mayo ~ How 'bout putting a lil more octane in yur motor ?
     3) Require Dean Pees to instill discipline on DEFENCE ( or find somebody that can ) i.e - Sit Merriweather for at least a 1/4 the next time he makes a huge mental mistake that leads to 6 points.

Springs / Burgess = Difference makers ?

Rediculous.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Pass rush is the biggest weakness and your right if Burgess can make impact at all it will help and it also will free up TBC to rush the passer. My worry from here forward is Brady and Wilfork, both are *banged up and could use a week off but the team needs both to play.
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

I get the feeling we aren't going to see Wilfork or Warren this week. It's a good thing the Bills aren't high power on offense. All the more reason we need to run the ball this week and eat up clock.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

ewhite, the Bills are playing good right now and they have a good running game so not having our best two players on D would be a big problem if they run teh ball down our throats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]ewhite, the Bills are playing good right now and they have a good running game so not having our best two players on D would be a big problem if they run teh ball down our throats.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

They are definitely going to try and run the Ball as much as they can get away with. I've seen Fitzpatrick in a couple of games and he suckks. That game against Miami was a fluke and Miami couldn't stop their running game which made it easier for him to pass. I was thinking we might even see Ron Brace this week and see what he's made out of. I don't like not having Wilfork either because we have done okay stopping the run this year. Without Wilfork they have to play up tight with more guys in the Box because Buffalo can and will run.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

No Ron Brace bro they would rather start Titus Adams who is a bum then play Brace which says a lot to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Are we talking miracles or is this reality? Springs, Adalius and Burgess have been no shows almost the entire year. Is this because of the complicated nature of the defense in past games, or are they simply beyond their prime? 

I think our first objective is just to make the playoffs. This is far from given considering we only have a 1 game lead in the division. We need to start this week, close out strong, and hopefully the guys listed above start playing better. I agree with all of you..if we can get a more consistent pass rush, and I'm not talking just about sacks...hell, I would just take pressure...things will change. 

If Taylor comes back healthy, Morris, Moroney coming on late, perhaps Edelman, Stanback and Aikens start showing some promise, I think we will be in a good position. 

I think we are on the cusp...We either break out now, or sit back and watch the playoffs from our armchairs. Anything is possible

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

That is what I am saying we are one or two players away from being a good playoff team. That is not that bad, one or two players away is a lot better off then a Bucs team that has to rebuild their entire team. We are one or two players away from a championship.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I think we have the players they just have not shown up this year so I guess what I am saying is how good do you think we could be if these guys start showing up? If Adalius Thomas and Burgess start getting after the QB and helping TBC get to the QB, if Shawn Springs plays in the playoffs and does good enough to let us throw Wilhite  where he belongs as a nickel CB and maybe Butler and Chung come on strong in the playoffs. Belichick always says rookies are no longer rookies by the time they get to the playoffs. So maybe if Chung and Butler and Springs all start making plays with the same going for the pass rush maybe that sets the D up for a strong push in the playoffs. Now if that happens and we start playing better offense maybe we could still do this. Its all a matter of the guys we got stepping up if they do that at the right time we will be a scary team in the playoffs. But they only have a few weeks left to get their sh*t together.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

Good Stuff Killa, I think your nailing it on the head. This was an overhauled defense with lots of new and young talent. We knew it was going to take some time to Gel together and if you look at the #s This defense has actually played pretty well. Like you said with minimal production from our 2 best pass rushers.

I totally agree on Springs. I think BB was giving the young guys there time to learn in live game action and Springs will be the man going into playoffs(although he did get burned by Steve Smith)

I like the fact that pretty much all of the "experts" are counting us out. That is when we are the most dangerous.

Also with Volmer and Light on the line we have suddenly developed a consistent rushing attack. This could be the vital ingredient in improving our stale offense. If we can run the ball consistently Tom Brady will destroy any team he faces with the play action pass. I think things are coming together in the nick of time!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE]3. If BB continues to get more involved with the play calling as he did last week, maybe we'll continue to improve in that regard too. [/QUOTE]

BB is a great coach in many ways but he does have weaknesses, play calling/misuse of timeouts/challenge flag ineptness. Maybe he just needs glasses.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Hope you're right on Burgess and Springs, but it's a bit of a reach.  Springs value is that of experience, maybe he can settle the younger guys down a bit.  Burgess looks like he's been hanging around AT's locker too long.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I think if the plane carrying the Colts crashed in mid air into the planes carrying the Chargers, Vikings and Saints that would give us the best chance this year but we still would need to magically improve our pass rush and secondary coverage skills.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]I think if the plane carrying the Colts crashed in mid air into the planes carrying the Chargers, Vikings and Saints that would give us the best chance this year but we still would need to magically improve our pass rush and secondary coverage skills.
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

If that were to happen, rest assured that the Chargers, Vikings, and Saints would be flagged for flight interference, illegal contact, illegal hit...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

I love the enthusiasm but they need to win out before I get to amped up about what they need to do to win it all.  This game in Buffalo imo is going to be another battle, especially if VW and Warren are on the shelf.  If Burgess and Springs finally "figure it out" they need to give the Krafts and the fans a refund for the first thirteen games. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from vapatfan1. Show vapatfan1's posts

It needs to come together on defense.  I remember the Colts the year they went to the superbowl.  Their defense was having difficulties most of the season and then almost at the end of the season the defense started to "get it".

From there on the Colts defense and became far more effective going into the playoffs and hadn't it been for that sudden emergance, I don't think the Colts would have even reached the SB.  

I think a similar situation faces the Patriots.  There's a lot of youth here that's developing and learning the system more week to week.  At some point these players are going to be able act more on instinct instead of thinking too much out there about what they have to do.

That's why I suspect that Burgess hasn't come on yet.  As for Adalius Thomas, he's had more than enough time to figure this all out and I think his best days are behind him. 

Let's hope that enough of those "new" guys, both veteran and rookie alike, figure it out. 

The offense will be far more effective if the defense holds leads into the fourth quarter like it used to do. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If these two things happen we can make a run at it. : If that were to happen, rest assured that the Chargers, Vikings, and Saints would be flagged for flight interference, illegal contact, illegal hit...
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

LMAO  Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffberk. Show jeffberk's posts

Teams will rue the day that they thought the Patriots were done!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

What about the offense?  All talk is about the defense, but not getting crucial 1st downs on 3rd and 4th downs is a big difference in the record this year.  Also, not getting into the end zone is killing the Pats.  They struggled against Miami and Carolina, 2 teams clearly not close to being in the elite. They always seem to have 3rd and long and are nowhere near controlling the game the way the offense used to.  With Moss and Welker, and Faulk,  you'd think nobody could stop the 3-4 yard gains, but Brady needs time and the line has been very inconsistent this year.  injuries have hurt.

Sections
Shortcuts