If we can't sign Mankins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Re: If we can't sign Mankins

Hopefully they can kiss and make up after all winning cures all and Mankins has proven his need . He is one of the best guards in football............

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Depends on what the new CBA allows.  Until we have a CBA, you can't be sure the franchise tag concept will survive.  But assuming it does survive in similar form to what it is today, we could franchise Mankins.  However, the amount we'd have to pay him (at least under the current rules) is probably too high (about $11 million guaranteed money for one year) and would probably make a trade impossible (because his contract would have to be picked up by the other team or replaced with something he agrees is better).  Under the current rules, I think the Pats either work something out with Mankins or let him walk.  I think a tag and trade is very unlikely.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cincyscott. Show cincyscott's posts

Yeah, if what was reported is true...that Mankins refused to publicly apologize to Kraft and decided not to sign his tender, maybe Kraft should man up an apologize to Mankins.  Patriots put the same offer on the table and we're done! 

Wish it was that simple?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cincyscott. Show cincyscott's posts

This guy has completely changed the personality of the OL since he's returned.  He makes everyone else better.  Besides that, he just plays mean and I like that!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: If we can't sign Mankins:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, if what was reported is true...that Mankins refused to publicly apologize to Kraft and decided not to sign his tender, maybe Kraft should man up an apologize to Mankins.  Patriots put the same offer on the table and we're done!  Wish it was that simple?
    Posted by cincyscott[/QUOTE]

I want Mankins back but what the Pats offered him was more the market value. As for the appology well I can see why Kraft wanted Mnkins to do it public because of the way Mankins acted in public but at the same time to get a deal done a private appology should be enough. Kraft should in no way appologize to Mankins and if that's what Mankins is expecting then I'd let him walk. Kraft stuck to his word and in the uncapped season offered him a contract that would have paid him as a top 3 G in the league it is Mankins that made it public calling out Kraft in the first place.

I say put the offer on the table if he doesn't want it franchise him as protection and tell him to shop around a bit. Even if he signs the tag then that's one more year to find a replacement and train them which is more then if we let him walk out right

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Call me nieve but I have a feeling that this magical season will help bury the hatchet between mankins and the Pats so they can move forward to agree to a long term deal. 

Maybe a guy like Branch is the difference maker here.  He left the Pats for more money and wished he never did.  Let's hope these two have talked about it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, if what was reported is true...that Mankins refused to publicly apologize to Kraft and decided not to sign his tender, maybe Kraft should man up an apologize to Mankins.  Patriots put the same offer on the table and we're done!  Wish it was that simple?
    Posted by cincyscott[/QUOTE]
    man up and apologize?  for what?  It wasn't Kraft who was talking smack about Mankins. Mankins was going off on Kraft and it appeared as though he was stretching the truth a bit.
    Mankins was offered top 3 G money and wanted to paid the number one G salary.  The only way Mankins is signed is if he pulls back his demands a little.  Kraft would probably offer him the same contract as before. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I suspect the whole apology thing is blown way out of proportion.  This is mostly about coming to a mutually agreeable contract.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

More goes on behind the scenes then we all know. They probably patched things up along time ago and the media has a story and went with it. If they want to get a deal done they can.......cap or not .........it takes two.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I say Franchise him and make him play if we can't sign him. He was disgruntled this year and looks fine to me. This isn't the type of guy that is going to dog it on his team mates. It's not a big deal for the Pats to shell out Franchise tag money for one year on this guy. Ideally I'd like to lock him up for a while but if we can't then we still have options.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

If we can't sign Mankins it will be because he continues to take poor advise from a lousy agent....

He'd then get tagged, & yes, a deal with another team would get worked out because Mankins wants 8 million a year so the 3 additional million wouldn't stop a team that really wants him because that money would just be worked into a new extended contract...

Pats would probably get a 2nd & 4th for him as compensation as well as being a controlling factor as to where he went...in other words it would probably be a team in the NFC

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

It would surprise me greatly if the owners signed any new CBA without a franchise or transition tag of some sort,a rookie salary cap and and a hard salary cap.I still feel the biggest battle to be fought is over the percentage of revenue that goes to the players.Remember the intial offer to the players included a double digit cut in that percentage and that cut will have to be pared significantly or even agree to a modest increase to get this deal done.By the way,I've never really understood the NFLPA's vehement refusal to accept a rookie salary cap as it protects the current players from seeing a big hunk of the overall salary cap devoted to men who have proven nothing in the league.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

also, remember that Mankins came back much sooner than he had to.  Good indication that everything behind the scenes worked out.  I do agree that his agent was giving really bad advice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I agree with those that say tag him.  Yes, $11MM is a lot of coin for any player, especially a guard but it's all about the cap, assuming their is one.  The Pats should be about $25MM under the cap so who would you rather spend your money on, a free agent WR and RB or a guy you know and trust in your system? 

Light will also be a F/A.  He could likely earn much more than the $4.5MM or so he's making this year.  Ideally we'd give him a 1-2 year deal like we gave Neal but I don't think Light will take a pay cut and I don't think he's worth more than $4MM a year even with the Pro Bowl nod.  But, BB and Brady love a consistent OL.

Back to Mankins, tag and trade if you can.  A high 2nd would seem about right.  If you can't hopefully he gets us a SB this year and one next year then we get a 2013 3rd round comp pick for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I htink there's been alot of kissing and making up. if mankins learned one thing this year, he needs to look at Deion Branch for the answers.

You can leave the comfort of winning, and SB trophies for more money, but that doesn't mean the team you to will win SB's or jusr win period

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cincyscott. Show cincyscott's posts

[QUOTE]also, remember that Mankins came back much sooner than he had to.  Good indication that everything behind the scenes worked out.  I do agree that his agent was giving really bad advice.
    Posted by jazzpelli[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

The biggest thing people don't seem to understand is that THE PATS CAN EASILY AFFORD MANKINS.  They absolutely need him, the offense has completely changed since he returned and he is totally essential.
    He is the best gaurd in the league, is a great teamate, and an ideal patriot.  The pats can easily afford him and need to sign him.  If he walks it will greatly hurt the o line next year, why let him walk, enter reality the pats have plenty of money to spend.
    SOmetimes fans need to recognize that letting a essential player walk really sets back the team a lot, I'm so tired of jealous broke loser fans complaining about how much money the best players make.  Top quality will always cost top dollar.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Hopefully Mankins will get a nice taste of a superbowl this year to help him stay. Also a guy like branch could let him know the grass isnt greener outside of n.e. he has been the best OL in football this year just straight dominant. Also with the young team led by brady who is aging well, staying with the pats is a great move for both sides.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I ain't worried about Mankins contractural problems for 2011.Let's get to winning the darn Lombardi/Belichick Trophy and deal with contracts in the offseason.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]The biggest thing people don't seem to understand is that THE PATS CAN EASILY AFFORD MANKINS.  They absolutely need him, the offense has completely changed since he returned and he is totally essential. He is the best gaurd in the league, is a great teamate, and an ideal patriot.  The pats can easily afford him and need to sign him.  If he walks it will greatly hurt the o line next year, why let him walk, enter reality the pats have plenty of money to spend. SOmetimes fans need to recognize that letting a essential player walk really sets back the team a lot, I'm so tired of jealous broke loser fans complaining about how much money the best players make.  Top quality will always cost top dollar.
    Posted by fancy-shamanski[/QUOTE] Which came first the chicken or the egg? I say the fortunes of the Patriots changed when they Traded Moss to Minny and re-acquired Branch the following week. Mankins is a very good guard but the Patriots were winning with Connolly and Wendell playing in Mankins place,also the biggest addition to this team is at the TE position! when they drafted Gronk and Hernandez and signed Crumpler they changed the entire potential of the offense,from being a deep ball and short passing route team to a team that could utilize the TE wham blocking attack to spring their RB's thusly opening up the intermediate passing game in the process.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

I agree. The  Pats were winning without Mankins too. No player is that important! If anything this season has taught us that football is about the team and systems rather than individual talent. There is only one position were you need to have the best and most talented player, and thats QB.

The Pats keep winning their Super Bowls when they dont have alot of famous stars running around, so dont give away alot of money for a guy like Mankins. Like every other Pats player who has left the building (besides Seymour, whom they should NEVER have traded), he will probably end up being a flop somewhere else

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I really don't think it's a matter of being able to afford paying Mankins that is holding back the deal, it's the PANDORA'S BOX it could create....Pats don't overpay...they offered him a very resonable deal(salaryin the top 5) at his position making him rich as well as giving him job security in a winning franchise that took a chance on him & gave him a shot at greatness in the first place....I mean who ever even heard of Mankins before the Patriots drafted him, pundints were saying he was a reach.....Yes he is good, very good, but not irreplacable...if he gets reasonable & realistic in his actual worth he'd understand he's got it really good already & stay part of something bigger than himself while being extreemly well compinsated.....Ball's in Mankins court on this one....I know if Branch & Moss had it to do all over again they'd of done it different.....