If We Do Walk From Spikes

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: If We Do Walk From Spikes

In response to APpats21's comment:

I'd be all for signing Sean Lee. The only thing would be that it would most likely have to come at a price since other teams will be vying for his services.

+1

Plays coverage like a safety as he has 6 or 7 career int's, and he's solid against the run.  Not sure Pats pay for his services though. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Isn't this reason in part why we drafted Jamie Collins? Collins will be able to play any lb position in any scheme. Maybe not initially however. hehas the athleticism like a Sean lee, maybe even more so. 

i am interested to see how fletcher and beauhanis look. If good enough, no need to pay big bucks for lee. My starting 4 are mayo, Hightower, Collins, nink/jones. Fletcher, beauhanis, erc should provide enough depth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If the Pats do walk away from Spikes, it'll be another high draft pick bust for the greatest GM of all time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

But that would only be considered a bust by you...Spikes is not a bust. He is a good reliable player. Just because we walk from him doesn't mean he's a bust. It just means financially it didnt make sense, we're looking for a more complete type of LB, or some internal issue (behavior). Spikes provided more than someone like Chad Jackson ever did. Spikes isn't a bust.

If a team walks away from a 2010 draft pick in 2013, that pick is a bust. 

There is no other possible way to look at it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Spikes is not a bust. He is however a liability in coverage, a big one. The PATS will try and get him some help in that area and continue to let him be a great run stopper.

There may be some personal issue we will never hear about that is fueling this. The PATS could be also sending a message to Spikes to step up and fly straight (if it's some sort of locker room matter)

Time will tell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Well if Mayo = Bruschi and Dink = Vrabel then would this guy = Ted Johnson?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

If a team walks away from a 2010 draft pick in 2013, that pick is a bust. 

There is no other possible way to look at it.

[/QUOTE]

Wow.  No football fan with any sense in their head would make a comment like that.  It's just stupid.  No other possible way to look at it.

You’ve become so enamored with arguing with Rusty that you have lost all perception of rationality and objectivity.  Either that, or you're just trolling considering you've been on record saying that you hate BB the GM.  Which is it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Stop being a debbie downer. I just put down 3 possible ways to look at it. Spikes isn't a bust. So say if we do walk from him and he proceeds to play 10 more seasons at a good not great level, would you still consider him a bust?

Just look at his forum name...that should tell you plenty....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Look at the statement again.  I never said the player was a bust.  I said the pick was a bust.  If a second round pick starts in 28 games and then the team lets him go, is that a successful pick?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Considering what that draft pick has provided compared to other draft picks around the same area then yes it is. You had a successful starter for second round money.

I guess your standards are a lot lower than mine.  I'd expect a second round pick to start in more than 28 games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Look at the statement again.  I never said the player was a bust.  I said the pick was a bust.  If a second round pick starts in 28 games and then the team lets him go, is that a successful pick?

Really.....so using Spike's name in your statement, along with the word "bust"(in the same sentence) isn't implying he would be a bust? Gee, can't imagine how someone could have mis-read that....LOL

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

It's clear you're trying to play semantics.  There is no distinction between a 'pick' being a bust and a 'player' being a bust.  Nobody says "oh, that player was really good, but because we weren't able to resign him after his rookie contract, the pick was a bust."  Especially when you're referring to a late-2nd round pick.  

If the Pats elect not to resign him, it won't be because the pick was a "bust".  It will either be because a team offered more money to him, or the Pats feel comfortable in Colllins's progression, or a combination of both.  They will most likely elect to allocate financial resources to other parts of the roster considering how deep we are at the position.  This doesn't equate to a pick being labeled as a bust.

Brandon Spikes, overall, has played well for the Patriots.  He has been one of the best run-stuffing LBs in the league.  He has brought an intimidating presence to the LB core over the past few years.   He has come up with key stripped fumbles and even a clutch interception (2012 Ravens playoff game).  Getting him to play the way he has over the span of his rookie contract makes it a good pick, no matter how you paint it.  He has helped this team get to a Super Bowl and an AFC Championship.  Nobody with a football accumen greater than a cheerleader would consider this pick to be a "bust" whether he's on the roster next year or not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

But what are you really losing? Its not like we had alot of money invested in him. His production by far surpassed his cost. If we lose him then oh well. Its not a big deal.

I never concern myself with actual dollars.  That is someone else's dough.  What did the team lose?  Well, if Spikes isn't on the team, they now have a hole to fill. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Exactly. A 3rd rd pick, I think he was, playing well for us, is not a failed pick, especially if they are budgeting to go after a Sean Lee guy. I think Lee would be an upgrade (not by much), even if he might cost a bit more than Spikes.

He was a 2nd round pick.  Although a late 2nd round pick.  Either way, not a very credible argument from NAS.

I like Lee but I just don't see a need.  We already have a very young, up and coming core in Mayo, Hightower and Collins.  I don't see the need to go out and spend money on a top LB.  Those will be your 3 starters.  Add in some more of the recent draft picks or a low-cost vet and you have a good group.   I'd rather them go after a stud DE or DL.  That is what this defense has been missing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The drafting of Hightower and Collins means Spikes might have to fight for PT. I like Spikes; he's a good player, but at the price. IMHO both Hightower and Mayo are ILB/MLB types. I would still like to see what Collins does first. Lee is good coverage LB. Interesting point about the 3-4/4-3 base.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Sorry, Spikes is a liability in coverage, it it what it is. Run stopping is his forte. In coverage....he's way....tooooo....slow......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn-tBeLpCk

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

It's clear you're trying to play semantics.  There is no distinction between a 'pick' being a bust and a 'player' being a bust.  Nobody says "oh, that player was really good, but because we weren't able to resign him after his rookie contract, the pick was a bust."  Especially when you're referring to a late-2nd round pick.  

If the Pats elect not to resign him, it won't be because the pick was a "bust".  It will either be because a team offered more money to him, or the Pats feel comfortable in Colllins's progression, or a combination of both.  They will most likely elect to allocate financial resources to other parts of the roster considering how deep we are at the position.  This doesn't equate to a pick being labeled as a bust.

Brandon Spikes, overall, has played well for the Patriots.  He has been one of the best run-stuffing LBs in the league.  He has brought an intimidating presence to the LB core over the past few years.   He has come up with key stripped fumbles and even a clutch interception (2012 Ravens playoff game).  Getting him to play the way he has over the span of his rookie contract makes it a good pick, no matter how you paint it.  He has helped this team get to a Super Bowl and an AFC Championship.  Nobody with a football accumen greater than a cheerleader would consider this pick to be a "bust" whether he's on the roster next year or not.

No semantics.  No editing.

A second round pick that only plays 28 games and then walks away is a bust, a wasted pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. A 3rd rd pick, I think he was, playing well for us, is not a failed pick, especially if they are budgeting to go after a Sean Lee guy. I think Lee would be an upgrade (not by much), even if he might cost a bit more than Spikes.

[/QUOTE]

He was a second round pick.  Although a late 2nd round pick.  Either way, not a very credible argument from NAS.

I like Lee a lot but I don't see a fit here.  We already have a young, up and coming core in Mayo, Hightower and Collins.  Add in Fletcher, a few of the recent late round draft picks/UDFA and a low-cost vet, and you keep a very good unit.

I'd rather them allocate the dollars to acquire a stud DE or DL.  That is what this team has needed for a long time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

No semantics.  No editing.

A second round pick that only plays 28 games and then walks away is a bust, a wasted pick.

Seems you're in the minority, much like most of your points here.  To each his own I guess.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats current 2014 salary cap situation shows $114m committed for and $7.5m in dead money. I am not so sure they have the money to sign Lee, nor do I think they spend the money it will take to sign him. They already have Hightower, Mayo and Collins signed, and they would put signing McCourty ahead of signing another teams free agent, including Lee

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Seems you're in the minority, much like most of your points here.  To each his own I guess.

And I have no problem with being in the minority.  This is just opinion.  Your opinion and my opinion differ.

No need to be a total dick about it.

Sections
Shortcuts