If we lose Talib, Edelman and Spikes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

If we lose Talib, Edelman and Spikes

If we lose these three and do not sign any big name free agents, we should get some good compensation picks next year.  We were hurt this year by signing Amandola after Welker left.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: If we lose Talib, Edelman and Spikes

In response to msteven's comment:

If we lose these three and do not sign any big name free agents, we should get some good compensation picks next year.  We were hurt this year by signing Amandola after Welker left.

most likely depending on contracts signed and how there teams performed. But, don't forget it's not just quality but quantity that counts too. Even if we sign no big names if we sign 10 low-mid teir contracts it could go against us too. But, those comp picks are 2 years down the road, most likely when Brady is getting ready to retire so..... lets not count on comp picks 2 years down the road and actual get talent?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We'll survive without them all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think it is safe to assume Spikes is already lost

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

it means ur GM is probably gonna start losing that "Greatest GM in the History of the Universe" label

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"We'll survive without them all."

yes and that's the goal of professional sports. Not championships, but just survival. Getting by. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yeah, Spikes is already gone.  Will be interesting to see what happens with Talib and Edelman.  Not sure I'm ready to commit to saying those 2 are gone... yet.  Will cost $8+ to keep Talib, I think $5 million for Edelman.  The CAP will increase $12-15 million in 2015 so keep these two with new contracts, get creative on cap hit years, take advantage of the next few years with TFB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"We'll survive without them all."

yes and that's the goal of professional sports. Not championships, but just survival. Getting by. 

Yes, it's called living to fight another day. I'd rather wait a few more years for a championship that try to go for broke in one year and be forced to deal with the cap later. Edelman and Spikes aren't make or break players, Talib is never there at the moment we need him to be a make player. ..he's always broken.

Let them go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

The Pats will still win 12-14 games and reach the AFC Championship game. After that it is a crap shoot as it always is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

The Pats will still win 12-14 games and reach the AFC Championship game. After that it is a crap shoot as it always is.

Pretty much sums up how the Pats see it and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If amandola is not traded, Edelman is gone

Spikes he's been gone since he landed on IR

Talib priced himself out of NE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

The Pats weren't hurt by signing Amendola, the Pats were hurt by injuries to a lot of players including Amendola.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

I'm not so sure about Talib.  He is a game changer.  The defense is a totally different defense with him out there.  He can shut people down.  Lot less expensive then Revis.  I think they bite the bullet on this one and keep Talib at a hefty price.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

So true. the Grimes contract drove the nail home on that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Can we think of any season in which the Pats did not lose a player to FA who the fans wished they kept?  When that happens, the team seems to survive and do a decent job to replace that player.  It is the way of the NFL these days.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I'm not so sure about Talib.  He is a game changer.  The defense is a totally different defense with him out there.  He can shut people down.  Lot less expensive then Revis.  I think they bite the bullet on this one and keep Talib at a hefty price.

No way can pats afford to match contracts from other teams, he will be offered contracts that are too rich for the Pats.  His value is probably already set in stone by BB and Mr Kraft, 1 dollar over and they'll let him walk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I still think the DL and OL is where the money should be spent.  A good pash rush will make the CB's look better.  A good pocket will give Brady time to throw.  Without these two things, the defense and offense will always look average.  Adding a quality SS will also help.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

No way can pats afford to match contracts from other teams, he will be offered contracts that are too rich for the Pats.  His value is probably already set in stone by BB and Mr Kraft, 1 dollar over and they'll let him walk.

Yes, We have seen that often here.  Normally I would go along with this thinking but it's Talib, a game changer.  Revis at $16 million is out of the question, not sure where these rumors are coming from.  So Talib at $8 or $9 million, for a few years during the Brady window, cap to go up next season by $12-$15 million, it will cost more to get a guy like Talib and this defense needs a guy like Talib.  Call me crazy but I'm going out on a limb here and saying the Pats find a way to keep Talib AND Edelman. There is my prediction.

Sections
Shortcuts