If Welker leaves, how do you replace him or change the offense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: If Welker leaves, how do you replace him or change the offense?

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to garytx's comment:

I hadn't seen any one who wants Welker gone so I don't know where this idea comes from.  Rest assured, it ain't going to be an easy thing to do.  It is a reality that money plays a huge part in all of this and that's just the age of FA.  Good players are going to be let go and that not only happens in Patsland.  Other teams face the same challenge.  

Outside of that I have no idea how the Pats/BB will handle it.  With the three TEs you may see Hernandez in the slot, moving to the backfield like we see him do from time to time.  I often thought of what that look would be like and would seem to give offer mismatches for the bigger Hernandez.  I caution this with the critics who says Welker misses key drops because Hernandez has trouble at times with the ball too.

i want butterfinger wes gone.. BB can replace him with me.. i'll play for the minimum and can drop clutch passes just as well as wes and for a fraction of the cost.

Welker gets hit hard constantly.  The first time you got hit by an NFL defensive player you would walk off the field and out of the stadium (that is, if you could walk). 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

The pats cannot replace Wes WELKER.  Impossible.  WELKER and Brady are a unique combo.  The best WR on the market is WELKER, and pats should bring him back.  You cannot count on the TEs and we don't have any legit WRs...I feel WELKER is part of the solution NOT the problem folks.  If it wasn't for welkers reliablilty, durability, toughness, and chemistry with Brady in this team game, the pats wouldn't be even in some of these biggest games played....resign him!  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I guess we had better hope Endleman stays healthy.

And you don't replace Welker. You try and move on the best way you can.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

We have Edelman. And they may go for a cheaper version of WW - Amendola

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

Won't work.  These are all bandaides at best.  Resign WELKER is the answer, a deal which both parties make out.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

Won't work.  These are all bandaides at best.  Resign WELKER is the answer, a deal which both parties make out.

Glad to have some support here, lol!

There is nobody they can plug in and do what Welker does for the team.  I would think the amount of change that will need to be done to the offense will require a lot of moves, more then what they want or can do at the moment.  I assume they have had a certain style of offense in mind and have building towards that for several years now only to be slowed down by injuries (Gronk and Hernandez).  If they think they can replace Welker like they thought and failed to do with Randy Moss then all they have to do is go back and look what happened when they let Moss go. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Look Welker is a fine player regardless of some of the drops.  The larger issue here is and always has been money.  He turned down 8 million a year fully guaranteed.  If he wants more than that a year forget about it.  He might be worth that much to another team, but when your other two primary weapons on offense also work the middle of the field it does not make sense to pay him that kind of money imo.  Frankly if Ballard proves to be healthy I think we'll run more 3 TE sets this year and Hern will play more like a full time receiver.  Draft a receiver or sign a cheaper guy like Hartline that is more likely to be in the 3-4 million a year range.  No he won't be as good as Wes, but he will be good enough and the saved money can be used to upgrade the defense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to NOISE's comment:

Glad to have some support here, lol!

There is nobody they can plug in and do what Welker does for the team.  I would think the amount of change that will need to be done to the offense will require a lot of moves, more then what they want or can do at the moment.  I assume they have had a certain style of offense in mind and have building towards that for several years now only to be slowed down by injuries (Gronk and Hernandez).  If they think they can replace Welker like they thought and failed to do with Randy Moss then all they have to do is go back and look what happened when they let Moss go. 

You and Noise are Welker lovers, not Pat fans, wouldn't be too surprised to find out you guys became fans in 2007. You're acting like Brady was a joke without Wes Welker, but he was fine. The offense doesn't need to be overhauled if the Pats lose Welker, the Patriots have 3--count them--guys who can play in the slot in Hernandez, Edelman AND Woodhead. Also, add to the fact that Danny Amendola and Jeremy Ebert are there for the taking if the Pats choose to promote and go after them. 

The Pats offense will be fine if they get another outside WR. There are tons, and I mean TONS of 6'1 and over 200+ pound WRs in the draft for the Patriots to go after. It's time Brady developed a young WR since Deion Branch. The Pats were fine post-Randy Moss (They won every game after he was traded) and they'll be fine post Welker. 

We have a Gronk. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

You and Noise are Welker lovers, not Pat fans, wouldn't be too surprised to find out you guys became fans in 2007. You're acting like Brady was a joke without Wes Welker, but he was fine. The offense doesn't need to be overhauled if the Pats lose Welker, the Patriots have 3--count them--guys who can play in the slot in Hernandez, Edelman AND Woodhead. Also, add to the fact that Danny Amendola and Jeremy Ebert are there for the taking if the Pats choose to promote and go after them. 

The Pats offense will be fine if they get another outside WR. There are tons, and I mean TONS of 6'1 and over 200+ pound WRs in the draft for the Patriots to go after. It's time Brady developed a young WR since Deion Branch. The Pats were fine post-Randy Moss (They won every game after he was traded) and they'll be fine post Welker. 

We have a Gronk. 

C'mon Man, really?  I was a fan well before 2007 and TFB can't do it all himself especially with the horrible game planning when the Pats go into the playoffs and SB.  Their game planning in the regular season is to cut the offense loose, and when they go into the playoffs and SB they put the leash on the offense.  So game planning and being out coached in the playoffs and SB is the number one flaw.

Number two flaw is the personnel available at the time.  Gronk being hurt totally hurt the offense in 2011 SB and again in the 2012 playoffs.  Not Welkers drops.  With Gronk hurt it takes a big weapon away from the offense, now you want to take another weapon away?  Listen, Edelman isn't durable enough.  Edelman isn't half the receiver Welker is.  Woodhead is good but not a slot receiver.  And Hernandez isn't a slot receiver.  You want him as a receiver you move him out wide.  THe reason Welker is so good in the slot is he is shifty, he is small and quick and can make moves that a bigger guy like Hernandez can't.  Plus Hernandez has stone hands, LOL at him catching the short bullet passes that the slot receiver gets a ton of.  Amendola is I-N-J-U-R-Y  P-R-O-N-E like Edelman and Hernandez.  I guess if you want to have Edelman, Amendola, Hernandez all play the slot I'm sure the Pats could get a full season out of all of them combined.  But why do that when you can have Welker?

Brady is at the tail end of his career, you don't have a QB at the tail end of his career trying to get one more SB develop young new talent.  There is no time for that.  The only thing this offense is lacking is a deep threat!!  You go and get a deep threat!!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

The loss of Welker doesn't change the needs much.

DE/OLB, DBs, and OL still rank higher in need vs. WR

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd split slot duties between Edelman and vareen. Hernandez is too tall and would get killed in the slot.  Vareen has the shiftyness and the hands to work the slot.   I bet woody could catch passes if needed. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

I'd split slot duties between Edelman and vareen. Hernandez is too tall and would get killed in the slot.  Vareen has the shiftyness and the hands to work the slot.   I bet woody could catch passes if needed. 

Size has nothing to do with slot WR play, it's all about quickness and route running and Hernandez had both in spades. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Size has nothing to do with slot WR play, it's all about quickness and route running and Hernandez had both in spades. 

Size has a lot to do with it IMO.   same as Hernandez in the backfield.  A smaller guy can get down and avoid some of those hits.  If wlker didn't know when to get down he would never have lasted this long.  Hernandez wouldn't make it thru the season getting hit over the middle every game, heck he has a hard enough time making it thru the season now. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

i think there are several options on the roster to play the slot. Not saying any one of them as is good as welker, but we may only need good enough especially if and a big if, Gronk, Hern and Ballard play healthy and pats get an outside the numbers WR. 

No one mentioned demps in all of this. He has the quickness and speed of a welker...I know he is an unknown commodity at this point, but the potential is there...so, we have Edelman, Hern, Vereen, demps that can all play slot when needed.

what is welker's asking price ? 3 years, 24million? I wouldn't pay him more than that. 

There is also a few kids in the draft that can play the slot very well. Tavon Austin comes to mindIf this could be a real possibility for the pats as he I think could play very well for the pats next year.won't need a ton of time to develop, and his contract would be a fraction of what Wes would make. You add another WR in FA like Brandon Gibson and I think you basically upgraded your passing offense. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

There is also a few kids in the draft that can play the slot very well. Tavon Austin comes to mindIf this could be a real possibility for the pats as he I think could play very well for the pats next year.won't need a ton of time to develop, and his contract would be a fraction of what Wes would make. You add another WR in FA like Brandon Gibson and I think you basically upgraded your passing offense. 

The slot is such an important spot on this offense that they really don't have the time right now with Brady to develop a young talent there.  Heck, even a vet is going to take time to develop in that spot with TFB.  Ocho never could develop in the offense and Lloyd has taken some time, not sure TFB is completly comfortable with him yet.  No way would I want a rookie coming in and trying. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

If they can't find a deep threat, get someone who can work the perimeter on the other side of Lloyd.  I wouldn't mind seeing Harline in NE.

Then, tell your hall of fame qb to spread the ball around.

If Brady isn't willing to work with a new receiver then perhaps he's not the player or leader we think he is.  He's just going to have to suck it up and make do without Welker.

If Brady's the player we believe him to be then that shouldn't be a problem.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

Quite frankly I don't see the offense as being the problem as I do the defense.  The game was the Pats until Talib went down and then it was open season.  The offense stuggled but the Pats had the lead.  Once you lose the lead the game plan changes and the more you get down the more it changes.  A big WR would be nice but the defense is the reason why the Pats lost the game.  It's the reason why it's up to Brady to win the playoff games of the last two seasons.  Nobody expected the defense to do it.  

I said before the playoffs that the Patriots success in the playoffs depended on the health of Gronk; and more importantly, Talib.  Looks like I was partially right as it appears that all 3 phases of the game was out of whack...and the Patriots were outcoached too....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd like to see Brandon Marshall here   He's a FA in 2015 about the same pay Welker is looking for on the end of his contract.  Cutler takes too many bad shots down field.  Welker would serve him better then Marshall.  Brady and Marshall would be special. I know the guy has had of field issues but not for a while. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

We have a Gronk. 

C'mon Man, really?  I was a fan well before 2007 and TFB can't do it all himself especially with the horrible game planning when the Pats go into the playoffs and SB.  Their game planning in the regular season is to cut the offense loose, and when they go into the playoffs and SB they put the leash on the offense.  So game planning and being out coached in the playoffs and SB is the number one flaw.

Number two flaw is the personnel available at the time.  Gronk being hurt totally hurt the offense in 2011 SB and again in the 2012 playoffs.  Not Welkers drops.  With Gronk hurt it takes a big weapon away from the offense, now you want to take another weapon away?  Listen, Edelman isn't durable enough.  Edelman isn't half the receiver Welker is.  Woodhead is good but not a slot receiver.  And Hernandez isn't a slot receiver.  You want him as a receiver you move him out wide.  THe reason Welker is so good in the slot is he is shifty, he is small and quick and can make moves that a bigger guy like Hernandez can't.  Plus Hernandez has stone hands, LOL at him catching the short bullet passes that the slot receiver gets a ton of.  Amendola is I-N-J-U-R-Y  P-R-O-N-E like Edelman and Hernandez.  I guess if you want to have Edelman, Amendola, Hernandez all play the slot I'm sure the Pats could get a full season out of all of them combined.  But why do that when you can have Welker?

Brady is at the tail end of his career, you don't have a QB at the tail end of his career trying to get one more SB develop young new talent.  There is no time for that.  The only thing this offense is lacking is a deep threat!!  You go and get a deep threat!!! 

Agree completely. Sadly, when Wes moves on (I really, really hope this isn't true) Pats fans will begin to realize what Wes brings to the table. Suggestions of replacing him with Hernandez or Woodhead are completely rediculous and make me wonder if these fans are watching the same game I am. Let's give him 3 years and 30 million right now because HE DESERVES IT. That's the smartest thing the Pats can do right now. People say the offense was at fault in the playoffs and it probably was but how does removing Wes HELP the offense!!?? It does not. You can kiss 30ppg goodbye if we lose Wes, no doubt about it.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

We have a Gronk. 

sadly WW has become Bill Buckner...and just like frustrated red sox fans scapegoated BB wrongly and way beyond need so too with welker (funny how buckner is now a-ok...funny couple of curse ending titles changed that perspective huh?)

and u guys keep saying how smart ur pats fanbase is...doesn't seem so here

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

I'd like to see Brandon Marshall here   He's a FA in 2015 about the same pay Welker is looking for on the end of his contract.  Cutler takes too many bad shots down field.  Welker would serve him better then Marshall.  Brady and Marshall would be special. I know the guy has had of field issues but not for a while. 

You think Brady would tolerate Marshall's antics?

what antics? catching TD's?

He's a low IQ, primadonna overrated WR who is bi-polar and you think that is a good match for this offense?

He runs excellent routes, goes up for the ball and has great hands.  I think he had something like 115 for 1500 played 16 games.   You don't hear a lot about him so much. He would help Brady immensely.  We'd have him for 2 yrs and winning fixes everything.  

Sections
Shortcuts