If you could sign 1 big time FA who would it be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: If you could sign 1 big time FA who would it be?

Dwayne Bowe.

I don't know a whole lot about Melton. But he did play on a D that had Peppers, Urlacher, Briggs, Jennings, and Tillman. It could very well be a case of him looking better next to those guys.

Seymour is old and injury prone. If you could take any FA, it would really be this guy? Might as well get a younger talent.

Byrd would be my second choice.

Goldson my third

Goldson didn't really thrive until JH came along. He, along with the rest of the secondary, didn't look too great once Justin Smith got hurt. I still think goldson is a good player. But I think the system makes him look slightly better than what he actually is.

I think you can Byrd and Bowe would be a toss up. I picked Bowe because he put up some good numbers with a bad supporting cast. One would have to assume his numbers would improve playing here.

BB has also had zero success drafting WRs, so it would be nice to get this problem out of the way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Wozzy, first it's bleacher report. I really don't think anyone takes bleach report seriously. Second it was in Oak, a lot of Oak players look great but it's just they are on a bad team by comparison. I mean everyone and their grandmother threw against Oak because they were giving up 66% of passes with the 3rd worst QB rating (for D's) and 2 least amount of sacks. Additionally who did Oak have to rest Seymour? Bryant had to take Kelleys snaps on almost all passing downs and who was Seymour's sub, Bilukidi? Additionally Seymour was only asked to rush and not play multiple roles like he was in NE. For the right price I'd like him back and would use him in what Deadrick is currently being used for. But, don't think you'd be getting anything close to Seymour in his prime

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here, you and Rusty agree, while myself and the rest of his peers agree that wrestling Richard Seymour is a losing proposition.  

Since he made the Pro Bowl in 2011 it appears more of the media than just the Bleacher Report and fans agree with me, that he made the All Pro team in 2011 shows that the players who have to suit up and play against him as well as opposing coaches still fear him.

He is still productive at a high level, his stats and standing amongst his peers proves this, you've only got your opinions... despite how well regarded those are by the NFL at large.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

If money wasn't an issue and you wouldn't have to give up draft picks (in the case of RFA's) or not have the ability to resign all your own FA's who is the 1 FA you would want and why.

For me it would have to be Henry Melton. At 26 he's still very young and was the most dominant interior pass rusher last year. His weakness is against the run but with Wilfork next to him and the 3 headed run stuffing beasts behind him that's not much of a concern. To me Melton would solidfy the line while drastically improving the secondary by reducing the average time a QB has to throw by almost a full sec. His value as a whole to me puts him over Byrd, Goldson, or Cruz for me

over cruz? not sure abotu that one. nor do i think cruz coudl happen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

One guy who would help the Patriots the most would be Dashon provided Talib resigns. If he flies away then a two headed monster of Cary Williams and Ed Reed might be the way to go. My personal choice would be Wallace.

dashon and taliib plus a pass rusher is what we need.

though id take talib and wallace (fat chance in hell im sure) and let welker go

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

While I think DT is the greatest need, under the criteria given I'd go after Kruger.  He has such a great pass rush although NE might not use him that way.  I just don't think the DTs that are FA are the kind that would make a big impact for the Pats.

If Chandler Jones couldn't get to the QB with the same frequency as Kruger it's for three reasons; Haloti Ngata (6'4" 330 lbs), Ma'ake Kemoeatu (6'5'" 345 lbs) and Arthur Jones (6'3" 313 lbs) not to mention Terrence Cody coming off the bench at 6'4" 350 pounds.

I can't believe nobody but myself can see the disparity between the amount of pure mass the Ravens have across their front vs ours and how they led the post sason in sacks by almost double the next team (Redskins).

ravens were better than us on d line, o line, wr, dbs and returners

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Dwayne Bowe.

I don't know a whole lot about Melton. But he did play on a D that had Peppers, Urlacher, Briggs, Jennings, and Tillman. It could very well be a case of him looking better next to those guys.

Seymour is old and injury prone. If you could take any FA, it would really be this guy? Might as well get a younger talent.

Byrd would be my second choice.

Goldson my third

Goldson didn't really thrive until JH came along. He, along with the rest of the secondary, didn't look too great once Justin Smith got hurt. I still think goldson is a good player. But I think the system makes him look slightly better than what he actually is.

I think you can Byrd and Bowe would be a toss up. I picked Bowe because he put up some good numbers with a bad supporting cast. One would have to assume his numbers would improve playing here.

BB has also had zero success drafting WRs, so it would be nice to get this problem out of the way.

byrd / goldson needed

legit big outside wr needed

pass rusher needed.

big cb needed.

draft and fa howeva they do it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I just get nervous with bowe because a lot of his yards and catches came during junk time.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

D- Goldson, Dashon.

OR

O- Bowe, Dwayne.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

I just get nervous with bowe because a lot of his yards and catches came during junk time.....

Bowe

1st half: 507 yards

2nd half 274 yards

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Bowe is a stiff who likely won't work in our system, he's not overly fast, big is great but only if it's accompanied by blazing speed. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'll take Dashon Goldson...28 years old, looks like he loves football, fast, big and can hit. I've got to think that Belichick would help him in coverage too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'll take Dashon Goldson...28 years old, looks like he loves football, fast, big and can hit. I've got to think that Belichick would help him in coverage too.

He would be my first choice as well, I honestly don't think we have a shot at Seymour due to his past with the team.  After signing our own free agents (Vollmer, Talib) I'd like to go hard at Goldson and then grab another vet depth guy like Chris Canty at a good price.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Here's rotoworld's list of the top FAs this year.  If we're assuming a "big time" FA (rather than a mid-level FA, which Seymour now is), I think Melton or Bryant or Starks woud all be good choices on the D-line.  Getting a corner (Talib?), RT (Vollmer?), and WR though still would take precedence in my mind.  And safety is about equal in need to DT, I think. 

1. Rush linebacker Paul Kruger
    2. Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe
    3. Defensive end Cliff Avril
    4. Cornerback Aqib Talib
    5. Rush linebacker Anthony Spencer
    6. Free safety Jairus Byrd
    7. Offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer
    8. Defensive tackle Henry Melton
    9. Wide receiver Mike Wallace
    10. Free safety Dashon Goldson
    11. Defensive end Michael Johnson
    12. Left tackle Branden Albert
    13. Cornerback Brent Grimes
    14. Left tackle Jake Long
    15. Right tackle Andre Smith
    16. Wide receiver Wes Welker
    17. Defensive lineman Desmond Bryant
    18. Guard Andy Levitre
    19. Cornerback Sean Smith
    20. Running back Steven Jackson
    21. Defensive end Michael Bennett
    22. Defensive tackle Randy Starks
    23. Strong safety William Moore
    24. Right tackle Phil Loadholt
    25. Wide receiver Greg Jennings
    26. Wide receiver Danny Amendola
    27. Tight end Dustin Keller
    28. Defensive tackle Jason Jones
    29. Free safety Louis Delmas
    30. Tight end Jared Cook
    31. Running back Reggie Bush
    32. Cornerback Chris Houston
    33. Guard Louis Vasquez
    34. Defensive end Osi Umenyiora
    35. Outside linebacker Daryl Smith
    36. Free safety Ed Reed
    37. Tight end Martellus Bennett
    38. Nose tackle Terrance Knighton
    39. Running back Rashard Mendenhall
    40. Fullback Jerome Felton

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

D- Goldson, Dashon.

OR

O- Bowe, Dwayne.

This!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

well first off, they need to re-sign talib and vollmer if possible...it should be. and if they arent going to sign welker, than id like to see them sign either dwyane bowe, dashon goldson, or ed reed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Bowe is a stiff who likely won't work in our system, he's not overly fast, big is great but only if it's accompanied by blazing speed. 

Bowe did pretty well without being accompanied by blazing speed. He put up 1159 yards and 5 TDs in 2011.

Other WRs on the team were Breaston, Copper, McCluster, Horne, Urban, Baldwin

Rbs were Draughn, Jones, McClain, Battle (Charles was IR'd)

Most important, Orton, Palko and Stanzi were his QBs

Bowe is prefectly capable of being great without being accompanied by blazing speed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

A list of Free Agents would help.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree...I don't think we need a WR with blazing speed. Someone 

like a boldin or Bowe that are big and can battle is my preference. If we compliment that in the draft with a blazer we could get in the later rounds, that would be my choice . 

I would love for us to get one of the dt's mentironed above. Melton would fit the bill. We could do Melton, vollmer and Talib if we don't resign welker, and use our first on Hopkins at WR, or get Elam in round 1, and grab a WR like Patterson in round 2. Welkers money holds the key to what we do in fa

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

paul kruger and jarius byrd. all day long.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Bowe is prefectly capable of being great without being accompanied by blazing speed.

I disagree, especially in our system, how many big receivers have we brought in with average speed who washed out very quickly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

A list of Free Agents would help.

Here you go . . 

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/2013-nfl-free-agents

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I disagree, especially in our system, how many big receivers have we brought in with average speed who washed out very quickly.

How many of them were as good as Bowe?

What big WRs have we had under the BB era? Bowe is 6'2 and 220. I don't remember ever having a WR remotely his size. Givens was the closest but I wouldn't say he's even close to the talent that Bowe is. Moss was tall, and was mainly just a burner. Gaffney? Not even close to the talent.

Unless I'm missing someone, I don't recall the Pats bringing any big receivers...and they definitely did not have a track record like Bowe's.

Bowe can outmuscle most cornerbacks. His size would make an a great redzone threat. Considering Gronk is still the best red zone weapon, I would imagine Bowe would get a ton of one on ones in this offense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

While I think DT is the greatest need, under the criteria given I'd go after Kruger.  He has such a great pass rush although NE might not use him that way.  I just don't think the DTs that are FA are the kind that would make a big impact for the Pats.

If Chandler Jones couldn't get to the QB with the same frequency as Kruger it's for three reasons; Haloti Ngata (6'4" 330 lbs), Ma'ake Kemoeatu (6'5'" 345 lbs) and Arthur Jones (6'3" 313 lbs) not to mention Terrence Cody coming off the bench at 6'4" 350 pounds.

I can't believe nobody but myself can see the disparity between the amount of pure mass the Ravens have across their front vs ours and how they led the post sason in sacks by almost double the next team (Redskins).

Fanene, Brace, Pryor hurt the rotational depth, but Wozzy is correct. Interior DLine  is biggest area of need. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think interior D line is an area where we need to improve, but I don't know how you can put that as a higher need than positions where we don't even have (signed) players, like corner, RT, and WR.  I think you need to get those three positions taken care of first.  Then you go to the positions that really need to be upgraded, which include safety and interior DL.  After that, you look at positions that would be nice to upgrade--Interior O line, OLB, and DE.