If you could sign 1 big time FA who would it be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: If you could sign 1 big time FA who would it be?

In response to dapats1281's comment:

What big WRs have we had under the BB era?

Unless I'm missing someone, I don't recall the Pats bringing any big receivers...

Donald Hayes, Torrance Small, JJ Stokes, Doug Gabriel, David Terrell, Kelly Washington, Sam Aiken and Chad Johnson... they worked out Plaxio Burress...

All were not burners who couldn't break a jam and get open in our system.  Tom Brady can't exactly scramble to create time for himself, if you can't toss a defensive back off of you and get open fast you won't make it here.  

We'd be better off finding tall, really fast guy and having him run fly patterns, Dwayne Bowe is not that guy, by the time he got open Brady would either be sacked or already have gotten rid of the ball.  He's a bad fit...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think interior D line is an area where we need to improve, but I don't know how you can put that as a higher need than positions where we don't even have (signed) players, like corner, RT, and WR.  I think you need to get those three positions taken care of first.  Then you go to the positions that really need to be upgraded, which include safety and interior DL.  After that, you look at positions that would be nice to upgrade--Interior O line, OLB, and DE. 

I'm working under the assumption we've already signed Talib and Vollmer.  

Also the WR "need" isn't as glaring as most here think, many posters here are offense-centric and think we need to outscore our opponent, but again and again our offense fails us.  A dominant defense is far more likely to lead to another Super Bowl ring.  I'm also assuming our team will be tougher and meaner next year with another year of experience and the taste of defeat in the back of their minds.

Would I love to have a 6'4" burner like Randy Moss, for sure, but we're far better off having a defense that is dominant and give Brady the ball back often, nobody can stop Brady if given anough chances and it's highly likely Belichick will find a burner in the draft or in free agency, far more likely than him finding a 345 pound defensive tackle in the late rounds... they don't appear out of thin air.  Skill position players can be found in all rounds of the draft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Bowe is a stiff who likely won't work in our system, he's not overly fast, big is great but only if it's accompanied by blazing speed. 

re:

"big is great but only if it's accompanied by blazing speed. 

agree

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If we want to take a chance on a big WR we can get at a reasonable price how about Braylon Edwards?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

What big WRs have we had under the BB era?

Unless I'm missing someone, I don't recall the Pats bringing any big receivers...

Donald Hayes, Torrance Small, JJ Stokes, Doug Gabriel, David Terrell, Kelly Washington, Sam Aiken and Chad Johnson... they worked out Plaxio Burress...

All were not burners who couldn't break a jam and get open in our system.  Tom Brady can't exactly scramble to create time for himself, if you can't toss a defensive back off of you and get open fast you won't make it here.  

We'd be better off finding tall, really fast guy and having him run fly patterns, Dwayne Bowe is not that guy, by the time he got open Brady would either be sacked or already have gotten rid of the ball.  He's a bad fit...

Is that a serious comparison? It's like saying a deep threat never worked out because Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, Joey Galloway and Brandon Tate didn't work out.

Pretty much everyone you listed never had success anywhere or were well past their primes. Bowe is still in his prime. And the purpose of getting a big WR is that he can be thrown to while covered, a la Anquan Boldin. Bowe could definitely fit in the offense.

Would a deep threat be better? Possibly. Someone who can draw a safety off of Hern or Gronk would help those intermediate routes. But in this hypothetical scenario, Wallace is the only one available and I'm not a fan of his. Too many drops and struggles to focus if he doesn't get enough balls thrown his way.

If we get a FA, I'd say just get the best player available. WR is absolutely a need if Welker is gone.

Would have no problem with Goldson or Byrd. But like I said about Goldson, it could be the talent around him that makes him look better. Feel that way about Melton too, though I haven't really seen much of Melton, so I could be wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Seymour would be an improvement over what we have at DT now but I doubt he would want to come back. IMO DT is the biggest need on this team, Armstead could be a good start but they need more. Someone that can get a push, get to the passer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Flacco played decent in the regular season but came up big in the playoffs but I hope their next QB is a little more moble. I keep thinking of that 4th down play where Brady had nothing but green between him and the first down and he didn't run with it, throwing the ball into the ground and incomplete instead. The game has changed, the qb doesn't have to be mike vick but they need to be able to scramble for a few yards when they need to

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'll take Dashon Goldson...28 years old, looks like he loves football, fast, big and can hit. I've got to think that Belichick would help him in coverage too.

He would be my first choice as well, I honestly don't think we have a shot at Seymour due to his past with the team.  After signing our own free agents (Vollmer, Talib) I'd like to go hard at Goldson and then grab another vet depth guy like Chris Canty at a good price.

pass rusher aand safety is what ivce been wanting all along. how did canty do this year?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree...I don't think we need a WR with blazing speed. Someone 

like a boldin or Bowe that are big and can battle is my preference. If we compliment that in the draft with a blazer we could get in the later rounds, that would be my choice . 

I would love for us to get one of the dt's mentironed above. Melton would fit the bill. We could do Melton, vollmer and Talib if we don't resign welker, and use our first on Hopkins at WR, or get Elam in round 1, and grab a WR like Patterson in round 2. Welkers money holds the key to what we do in fa

agree with all that except 2 wrs in fa. 

id take big wr adn big cb., then o line or cover lb

to go along with what you have on top 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Seymour would be an improvement over what we have at DT now but I doubt he would want to come back. IMO DT is the biggest need on this team, Armstead could be a good start but they need more. Someone that can get a push, get to the passer.

"but they need more. Someone that can get a push, get to the passer.

agreed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

If we want to take a chance on a big WR we can get at a reasonable price how about Braylon Edwards?

meh. Edwards hasn't been productive in a while. Size isn't any good if you can't play the position in general.

I'd just like to see more physicality on the offensive side. Bowe is physical and is scouted as a terrific run blocker on the outside.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Well, maybe I'm just getting into the hypotheticals too much, but if you could have ANY FA on the market, you'd take a guy who is on the tail end of his career?

If money isn't an issue, might as well just grab a guy in his prime whose going to fetch the big contract.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I think interior D line is an area where we need to improve, but I don't know how you can put that as a higher need than positions where we don't even have (signed) players, like corner, RT, and WR.  I think you need to get those three positions taken care of first.  Then you go to the positions that really need to be upgraded, which include safety and interior DL.  After that, you look at positions that would be nice to upgrade--Interior O line, OLB, and DE. 

Also the WR "need" isn't as glaring as most here think, many posters here are offense-centric and think we need to outscore our opponent, but again and again our offense fails us.  A dominant defense is far more likely to lead to another Super Bowl ring.  I'm also assuming our team will be tougher and meaner next year with another year of experience and the taste of defeat in the back of their minds.

Would I love to have a 6'4" burner like Randy Moss, for sure, but we're far better off having a defense that is dominant and give Brady the ball back often, nobody can stop Brady if given anough chances and it's highly likely Belichick will find a burner in the draft or in free agency, far more likely than him finding a 345 pound defensive tackle in the late rounds... they don't appear out of thin air.  Skill position players can be found in all rounds of the draft.

"Also the WR "need" isn't as glaring as most here think, many posters here are offense-centric and think we need to outscore our opponent, "

i am not one 

i want sbs so i have ideas about desiging offenses and defenses that can do the job no matter who we face. 

on offense all we need personnel wise is an outside wr who is a threat / can separate and catch(ideally one with a large wingspan and that can compete for the ball). this extra threat (that neither lloyd nor wlekr can provide, will make th other wepaons on the field more viable. too many areas to cover. lloyd canot separate adn if he gets a little free, he falls when he cathces the ball. welker plays in the middle. better des need on ly clog the middle and short and shut down our off.

and possibly upgrade of o line brady hasnt had much time before ducking for cover and rbs dont have nuch room at all aainst better d lines.

on de we need an effective pass rusher, tall good cb to go along wiht talib, dennard adn dowling 3 and 4 (however that shakes out). a fast cover lb. (a luxuary safety upgrade over gregory and an upgrade at teh other dt spot).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I agree that the defense is the number one issue, Wozzy, so I'm all for addressing that as a top priority. The big difference between recent teams and the championship teams of the eary 2000s in my opinion is the quality of the defense.  Our offense has been good recently (though it has lacked diversity), but our defense has not been dominant in the way the defense of 2003 and 2004 was.  So I'm with you on addressing defense--including interior line and also CB and safety and maybe (if the opportunity arises) coverage LB or even DE/OLB.  

I wouldn't be so sanguine about WR, though.  I felt that was a weakness all year last year on offense.  Just like the lack of a good running game was a weakness in 2011, the lack of a decent downfield receiving threat created issues this year.  When Gronk was in it didn't matter because he's so dominant with his size and speed combination that you can almost build a whole offense around him.  But with Gronk out, the receiving group of Hern, Welker, Lloyd, and Branch looked a lot less formidable.  That group is great with shorter routes when the receivers can find space, but it has absolutely no deep presence and it's not big enough to be effective in close quarters when it's necessary to fight for the ball (Hern's big, but he doesn't have a true receiver's ability to catch balls away from his body, I don't think).  One thing that really stood out to me watching the receivers last year is that we have no one who is great catching the ball running away from the QB.  Hern and Welker are both best when they can find space and turn back to the QB or run a crossing route.  Lloyd seems only good on backshoulder catches along the sideline.  Every once in a while Welker will catch a ball running something like a post route or other route where he's moving away from the QB, but he's very inconsistent catching the ball when he's headed downfield like that.  A light went on when I saw Stallworth catch that TD reception against the Texans . . .  we didn't have anyone on the roster last year (except for Stallworth for that one game) who could make that kind of catch with regularity.  That's really limiting on the offense. 

So even if we had Welker and others signed, I'd want an upgrade at WR.  As it is, the only signed WRs we have are Lloyd, Slater (who's really not a WR), and two practice squad guys--Aiken and Holmes.  I don't see how we can go into the season with just that on our roster.  We need at least one x-type receiver and one slot (could be Welker and/or Edelman).  And I'd put that need as pretty much equal to our defensive needs.  We may not have to sign a star WR, but we need at least some pretty good mid-level receivers.  And if we could afford it, a Bowe or Jennings really would be nice, especially if we lose Welker and his production.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

"Also the WR "need" isn't as glaring as most here think, many posters here are offense-centric and think we need to outscore our opponent, "

i am not one 

i want sbs so i have ideas about desiging offenses and defenses that can do the job no matter who we face. 

on offense all we need personnel wise is an outside wr who is a threat / can separate and catch(ideally one with a large wingspan and that can compete for the ball). this extra threat (that neither lloyd nor wlekr can provide, will make th other wepaons on the field more viable. too many areas to cover. lloyd canot separate adn if he gets a little free, he falls when he cathces the ball. welker plays in the middle. better des need on ly clog the middle and short and shut down our off.

and possibly upgrade of o line brady hasnt had much time before ducking for cover and rbs dont have nuch room at all aainst better d lines.

on de we need an effective pass rusher, tall good cb to go along wiht talib, dennard adn dowling 3 and 4 (however that shakes out). a fast cover lb. (a luxuary safety upgrade over gregory and an upgrade at teh other dt spot).

I don't care if the receiver is a burner or big powerful guy (or both), as long as he can get downfield and force the safeties to worry about getting beat deep. Gronk actually does make the safeties nervous, but I don't think anyone else does, and we shouldn't have to rely solely on Gronk for that (especially given Gronk's injury history). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Pretty much everyone you listed never had success anywhere or were well past their primes. Bowe is still in his prime. And the purpose of getting a big WR is that he can be thrown to while covered, a la Anquan Boldin. Bowe could definitely fit in the offense.

Would a deep threat be better? Possibly. Someone who can draw a safety off of Hern or Gronk would help those intermediate routes. But in this hypothetical scenario, Wallace is the only one available and I'm not a fan of his. Too many drops and struggles to focus if he doesn't get enough balls thrown his way.

Bowe has steadily gotten better over his career, not saying I wouldn't want to bring him to camp to give him a tryout but what we'd pay would be way over market value.  

The burner we may be looking for might already be on the team, Demps?

There are also going to be a lot more names popping up as vets get cut for salary cap reasons...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Maybe Dwayne Bowe, he doesn't have the stats to demand a big high dollar contract, but he the skills that can be refinedwith a good QB

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

While I think DT is the greatest need, under the criteria given I'd go after Kruger.  He has such a great pass rush although NE might not use him that way.  I just don't think the DTs that are FA are the kind that would make a big impact for the Pats.

If Chandler Jones couldn't get to the QB with the same frequency as Kruger it's for three reasons; Haloti Ngata (6'4" 330 lbs), Ma'ake Kemoeatu (6'5'" 345 lbs) and Arthur Jones (6'3" 313 lbs) not to mention Terrence Cody coming off the bench at 6'4" 350 pounds.

I can't believe nobody but myself can see the disparity between the amount of pure mass the Ravens have across their front vs ours and how they led the post sason in sacks by almost double the next team (Redskins).

You have a good point here wooz. I agree.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I agree with this, I really think our higher end resources need to go to defense. We already have 90 million tied into our tightends and a quarterback that will make 20 million next year. If I'm Belichick I tell Brady, Gronk and Hernandez... "Sorry guys, I'll try to get you a mid level receiver, but you three are going to have to earn every penny of your contracts next year...we have other needs". For a guy like Brady, that shouldn't be a problem - he's carried this team for years, but for the other guys it might be. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I agree with this, I really think our higher end resources need to go to defense. We already have 90 million tied into our tightends and a quarterback that will make 20 million next year. If I'm Belichick I tell Brady, Gronk and Hernandez... "Sorry guys, I'll try to get you a mid level receiver, but you three are going to have to earn every penny of your contracts next year...we have other needs". For a guy like Brady, that shouldn't be a problem - he's carried this team for years, but for the other guys it might be. 

I hope the big deals for Gronk and Hern work out.  You've got to wonder about Gronk's repeated injuries (remember he slipped in the draft because of injury) and Hern's drops last year.  I'm hoping with Gronk it's just a bit of bad luck, but his generally reckless approach to life makes me nervous.  Hern was injured, so maybe that affected him last year, but he has shown a bit of tendency toward drops and fumbles over the past too years.  Do you want an offense that is highly dependent on just these two receivers?  When they're both on their game, sure.  But can we rely on them to both be there and playing well every game?  I'd feel a lot better with another major receiving weapon--and I don't feel confident Lloyd is that third guy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

While I think DT is the greatest need, under the criteria given I'd go after Kruger.  He has such a great pass rush although NE might not use him that way.  I just don't think the DTs that are FA are the kind that would make a big impact for the Pats.

If Chandler Jones couldn't get to the QB with the same frequency as Kruger it's for three reasons; Haloti Ngata (6'4" 330 lbs), Ma'ake Kemoeatu (6'5'" 345 lbs) and Arthur Jones (6'3" 313 lbs) not to mention Terrence Cody coming off the bench at 6'4" 350 pounds.

I can't believe nobody but myself can see the disparity between the amount of pure mass the Ravens have across their front vs ours and how they led the post sason in sacks by almost double the next team (Redskins).

Wouldn't put Cody on that list. He's a complete bust. Neither of those guys were as good as VW this season, not even Ngata who was hampered by injury.

I'll agree that the other two (Jones, Kemoeautu) are better than Deaderick and Love.

Kruger had 9 sacks on the season, 1.5 before Suggs came back from injury. I would not pay Kruger the 40 million he's seeking, but the Pats need to find a complimentary pass rusher. Also, Jones is a bit more raw than Kruger.

Interior rush is definitely a need, but I also think they need another outside edge rusher.

And hopefully Jones can make a JPP esque second year jump

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Wouldn't put Cody on that list. He's a complete bust. Neither of those guys were as good as VW this season, not even Ngata who was hampered by injury.

I'll agree that the other two (Jones, Kemoeautu) are better than Deaderick and Love.

Kruger had 9 sacks on the season, 1.5 before Suggs came back from injury. I would not pay Kruger the 40 million he's seeking, but the Pats need to find a complimentary pass rusher. Also, Jones is a bit more raw than Kruger.

Interior rush is definitely a need, but I also think they need another outside edge rusher.

In fact, Ozzie Newsome has already said he feels they need to get better at tackle.  He wasn't fully pleased with either Cody's or Kemoeatu's performance at NT.  Ngata and Jones, however, are quite good at those DE positions.  The Ravens did struggle against the run much of the season, despite a big run-stopping front. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In fact, Ozzie Newsome has already said he feels they need to get better at tackle.  He wasn't fully pleased with either Cody's or Kemoeatu's performance at NT.  Ngata and Jones, however, are quite good at those DE positions.  The Ravens did struggle against the run much of the season, despite a big run-stopping front. 

Baltimore's D absolutely got shredded during the playoffs. People don't seem to remember this. Big difference is that they clamped down in the red zone. Didn't they give up over 400 yards to Den, NE, and SF?

These guys weren't world beaters on D. They just knew how to play well when they needed to.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Well if you're looking for a big WR, don't be looking at 81 in Baltimore. Boldin has said he will retire if the Ravens release him. He will "never play a game in another uniform".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Peppers.....to bad that ship sailed.  I'm glad every penny under the cap goes in Kraft's pocket and not towards winning another Super Bowl With quality players.