If you could sign 1 big time FA who would it be?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: If you could sign 1 big time FA who would it be?

In response to ricky12684's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

Bowe is a stiff who likely won't work in our system, he's not overly fast, big is great but only if it's accompanied by blazing speed. 

re:

"big is great but only if it's accompanied by blazing speed. 

agree

so i guess you guys would also be against signing larry fitzgerald and anquan boldin? 

dwayne bowe is exactly what this team needs. the blazing speed thing is a bit overrated IMO. if a guy has great ball skills, leaping ability, and toughness to go up and rip the ball from defenders then does it really matter how fast he is? 

all of that matters, but if you have all that you suggest minus the "blaze", that is good as well. see bolden. he wont go anywhere else. he has said he'd retire befoe leaving

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Bowe is a stiff who likely won't work in our system, he's not overly fast, big is great but only if it's accompanied by blazing speed. 

re:

"big is great but only if it's accompanied by blazing speed. 

agree

so i guess you guys would also be against signing larry fitzgerald and anquan boldin? 

dwayne bowe is exactly what this team needs. the blazing speed thing is a bit overrated IMO. if a guy has great ball skills, leaping ability, and toughness to go up and rip the ball from defenders then does it really matter how fast he is? 

all of that matters, but if you have all that you suggest minus the balze, that is good as well. see bolding. he wopnt go anywhere else he has said he'd retire

where he will or won't go is beside the point. he's a big physical reiever without blazing speed like bowe and larry fitzgerald. 

oh i thought he was in your psosibel plans.

the rest of my post already conveyed i agree with you (but if i cna have speed too, that is a pref)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In fact, Ozzie Newsome has already said he feels they need to get better at tackle.  He wasn't fully pleased with either Cody's or Kemoeatu's performance at NT.  Ngata and Jones, however, are quite good at those DE positions.  The Ravens did struggle against the run much of the season, despite a big run-stopping front. 

I think Newsome is correct, moreover it shows the importance he places on the D Line positions.  We brought every available defensive lineman (22?) to camp this offseason and were left with the same group that we fielded the year before.  It's about time we expended some resources to improve this vital area, the days of three 1st round draft choice defensive linemen is long gone in New England and with its departure so went our pass rush... is that coincidence?  

Ozzie also knows the middle of his defense will be weaker with the departure of Ray Lewis, he could use another solid nose tackle and god help us if they get one and we don't.  As much as I appreciate Love and Deaderick neither is dominant and frankly the 2 man defensive tackle front with 2 linbackers playing end is already weak.  

Either add depth and convert back to a three man front or add another high 1st round pick defensive tackle like Wilfork who has the motor and skill set to play nose tackle or end.  This is the biggest weakness on this team bar none, we had the best offense in the NFL so please don't preach to me about wide receivers. We need sacks...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

1/23/13....go get Melton

Re: Pats should go after Freeney or Osi

posted at 1/23/2013 4:20 PM EST

Henry Melton

Tough inside interior linemen...

I like em'

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd kick the tires on Steven Jackson.  Money would be an object, if he wants to do an incentive type deal I'd bring him in.   It reminds me of Tippett.   Great player on a crappy team. I almost said Robbie Gould to put the kicking game to bed. Shame we let him get away 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In fact, Ozzie Newsome has already said he feels they need to get better at tackle.  He wasn't fully pleased with either Cody's or Kemoeatu's performance at NT.  Ngata and Jones, however, are quite good at those DE positions.  The Ravens did struggle against the run much of the season, despite a big run-stopping front. 

I think Newsome is correct, moreover it shows the importance he places on the D Line positions.  We brought every available defensive lineman (22?) to camp this offseason and were left with the same group that we fielded the year before.  It's about time we expended some resources to improve this vital area, the days of three 1st round draft choice defensive linemen is long gone in New England and with its departure so went our pass rush... is that coincidence?  

Ozzie also knows the middle of his defense will be weaker with the departure of Ray Lewis, he could use another solid nose tackle and god help us if they get one and we don't.  As much as I appreciate Love and Deaderick neither is dominant and frankly the 2 man defensive tackle front with 2 linbackers playing end is already weak.  

Either add depth and convert back to a three man front or add another high 1st round pick defensive tackle like Wilfork who has the motor and skill set to play nose tackle or end.  This is the biggest weakness on this team bar none, we had the best offense in the NFL so please don't preach to me about wide receivers. We need sacks...

Wozzy, I'm in full agreement with upgrading the tackle position. But I don't think this offense will be anywhere as good as last year's if our only wideout is Brandon Lloyd. With every receiver but Lloyd (and Slater plus the practice squad types) a free agent, you can't ignore that position. At least we have signed tackles, even if they're not the best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wozzy, I'm in full agreement with upgrading the tackle position. But I don't think this offense will be anywhere as good as last year's if our only wideout is Brandon Lloyd. With every receiver but Lloyd (and Slater plus the practice squad types) a free agent, you can't ignore that position. At least we have signed tackles, even if they're not the best.

We're in agreement, we have to do something about receiver, but IMO an invite them all to camp approach would work best there. 

Conversely we need a concentrated effort to get the best DT we can, either moving up for a high 1st draft pick or spending for a free agent.  Skill players can be found in unlikely places, a monster DT can't be had outside the first round or you have to pay their weight in free agency. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

They need a pass rush badly,  Kruger . Hopefully they sign another CB, Talib or else yes go after Dashon but with a very good CB McCourty plays safety well enough.  Still think they need a CB.

They a real WR if not as a FA , seems like slim pickings and don't want to see another bandaid solution.  Maybe in a trade would be better.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

We're in agreement, we have to do something about receiver, but IMO an invite them all to camp approach would work best there. 

Conversely we need a concentrated effort to get the best DT we can, either moving up for a high 1st draft pick or spending for a free agent.  Skill players can be found in unlikely places, a monster DT can't be had outside the first round or you have to pay their weight in free agency. 

I agree with that. Both offensive and defensive tackles tend to be picked early if they are good. There are occasional exceptions of course, but generally you have to pick early to get the good ones. Good receivers are picked all over the place, and lots of early picks are busts. Honestly, I tend to think it's safer to get the receiver in free agency and use the picks on either d-line or DB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I agree - the thing is Deaderick and Love are very good backups, if we ever were able to get a Seymore or Warren again our line would be something with those two backing up. I really hope this Armstead kid works out, but I'd still consider it a priority. I like what Jones is going to bring to the table moving forward, but he needs help from someone. I really can't believe how much attention he was drawing earlier in the season, yet no one else could take advantage of it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I agree - the thing is Deaderick and Love are very good backups, if we ever were able to get a Seymore or Warren again our line would be something with those two backing up. I really hope this Armstead kid works out, but I'd still consider it a priority. I like what Jones is going to bring to the table moving forward, but he needs help from someone. I really can't believe how much attention he was drawing earlier in the season, yet no one else could take advantage of it. 

Deaderick for sure is a solid backup and I wouldn't have a problem with Love starting at one end in a three man front.  With Vince at nose and another dominant end, Love could handle one side capably.  

I like the idea of getting two people to fill one position even better, so even if BB thinks Armstead is going to be a solid player, you still get another player as insurance much like we've done in the past by drafting a need position and signing a vet at that same position.  

If Armstead turns out better than we thought we'd have the luxury of putting him at one end, Vince in the middle and Seymour/player x on the other end, which would allow Love and Deaderick to sub and give us tremendous depth along the line with no drop off in production when we sub them in.

Much like we beefed up on offense this past off season by signing every tightend and fullback available, generally getting tougher and preparing to run more we need to do something comparable along the D Line.  Chandler Jones and Ninc will be scary good with some big bodies inside providing a push.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Deaderick for sure is a solid backup and I wouldn't have a problem with Love starting at one end in a three man front.  With Vince at nose and another dominant end, Love could handle one side capably.  

I like the idea of getting two people to fill one position even better, so even if BB thinks Armstead is going to be a solid player, you still get another player as insurance much like we've done in the past by drafting a need position and signing a vet at that same position.  

If Armstead turns out better than we thought we'd have the luxury of putting him at one end, Vince in the middle and Seymour/player x on the other end, which would allow Love and Deaderick to sub and give us tremendous depth along the line with no drop off in production when we sub them in.

Much like we beefed up on offense this past off season by signing every tightend and fullback available, generally getting tougher and preparing to run more we need to do something comparable along the D Line.  Chandler Jones and Ninc will be scary good with some big bodies inside providing a push.

Yes, I agree, although I think Deaderick is the better player than Love. To me Love is a weird player - you have a guy that big, yet he doesn't hold his ground real well in the running game. The part that is even stranger concerning Love is that he moves pretty well in the pass rush for a guy that size. Deaderick to me is much more stout against the run...I think he is more valuable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

2 guys who will potentially be cut, Woodson from GB and DHB from from Oakland. If either could be had cheap they'd be good additions.

Sections
Shortcuts