If you could sign 1 big time FA who would it be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If you could sign 1 big time FA who would it be?

If money wasn't an issue and you wouldn't have to give up draft picks (in the case of RFA's) or not have the ability to resign all your own FA's who is the 1 FA you would want and why.

For me it would have to be Henry Melton. At 26 he's still very young and was the most dominant interior pass rusher last year. His weakness is against the run but with Wilfork next to him and the 3 headed run stuffing beasts behind him that's not much of a concern. To me Melton would solidfy the line while drastically improving the secondary by reducing the average time a QB has to throw by almost a full sec. His value as a whole to me puts him over Byrd, Goldson, or Cruz for me

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

Re: If you could sign 1 big time FA who would it be?

Too bad Red Bryant got away last year and re-signed w/ Seatle...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

If money wasn't an issue and you wouldn't have to give up draft picks (in the case of RFA's) or not have the ability to resign all your own FA's who is the 1 FA you would want and why.

For me it would have to be Henry Melton. At 26 he's still very young and was the most dominant interior pass rusher last year. His weakness is against the run but with Wilfork next to him and the 3 headed run stuffing beasts behind him that's not much of a concern. To me Melton would solidfy the line while drastically improving the secondary by reducing the average time a QB has to throw by almost a full sec. His value as a whole to me puts him over Byrd, Goldson, or Cruz for me

Romeo Crennel

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Joe Flacco

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

Joe Flacco

Will Flacco be able to see our recievers though? Thats the question..  Flacco looks good throwing it up to Boldon and airing it out deep to Smith but you have to be accurate and be able to read defenses to play in N.E. but maybe we could sign him to our practice squad so our DDs can learn to play the deep ball. He would be more valuble to us in that role

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

It's a tie between Dashon Goldson and Seymour...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

One guy who would help the Patriots the most would be Dashon provided Talib resigns. If he flies away then a two headed monster of Cary Williams and Ed Reed might be the way to go. My personal choice would be Wallace.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

It's a tie between Dashon Goldson and Seymour...

Why in the world would you want a money grubbing geezer like Seymour?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Why in the world would you want a money grubbing geezer like Seymour?

Because King Kong isn't available and DT is our biggest need position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Romeo Crennel

Boldin; perhaps Reed or Goldshon.  We need more than one FA.  Hard to  believe the Crows would let Boldin walk - he has great chemistry with Flacco.  Seymour for cheap.  But what the Pats really need is Gronk injury free, keep Welker and draft or get a bona fide deep threat WR (Moss need not apply).  A SB win is still a strong possibility for next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

While I think DT is the greatest need, under the criteria given I'd go after Kruger.  He has such a great pass rush although NE might not use him that way.  I just don't think the DTs that are FA are the kind that would make a big impact for the Pats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

While I think DT is the greatest need, under the criteria given I'd go after Kruger.  He has such a great pass rush although NE might not use him that way.  I just don't think the DTs that are FA are the kind that would make a big impact for the Pats.

If Chandler Jones couldn't get to the QB with the same frequency as Kruger it's for three reasons; Haloti Ngata (6'4" 330 lbs), Ma'ake Kemoeatu (6'5'" 345 lbs) and Arthur Jones (6'3" 313 lbs) not to mention Terrence Cody coming off the bench at 6'4" 350 pounds.

I can't believe nobody but myself can see the disparity between the amount of pure mass the Ravens have across their front vs ours and how they led the post sason in sacks by almost double the next team (Redskins).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

If Chandler Jones couldn't get to the QB with the same frequency as Kruger it's for three reasons; Haloti Ngata (6'4" 330 lbs), Ma'ake Kemoeatu (6'5'" 345 lbs) and Arthur Jones (6'3" 313 lbs) not to mention Terrence Cody coming off the bench at 6'4" 350 pounds.

I can't believe nobody but myself can see the disparity between the amount of pure mass the Ravens have across their front vs ours and how they led the post sason in sacks by almost double the next team (Redskins).

I'm not disagreeing with you.  But mass without some speed/agility only gets you so far.  Seymour clearly had it in his early years.  Now, not so much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'm not disagreeing with you.  But mass without some speed/agility only gets you so far.  Seymour clearly had it in his early years.  Now, not so much.

It's a popular notion around here that Seymour fell off the moment he became a Raider, this is mularky, his best seasons came as a Raider and beyond getting hurt last season he has had no dropoff in his performance.  His 6 sacks from the season prior (2011) was the third best total of his career.

He has been the most dominant, dependable defensive tackle of his generation and I'd like to see him retire a Patriot where it all began. Plus his addition would make a fearsome front; Wilfork, Seymour and Love/Armstead.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Sorry Wozzy but there's been a clear drop off in performance for Seymour the last couple of years. You can point to his sacks numbers but the eye test sees a guy having trouble tracking down runners in space, can't get a ton of push off the line anymore, and is being single blocked off the line. He'd be good in spurts but he's no longer a 3 down player that we knew from 01'-10'. He'd be nice to have back provided he's in a rotation but I wouldn't give him a big contract and I'd be worried his body won't be able to last a full season at a consistent level anymore.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

It's a popular notion around here that Seymour fell off the moment he became a Raider, this is mularky, his best seasons came as a Raider and beyond getting hurt last season he has had no dropoff in his performance.  His 6 sacks from the season prior (2011) was the third best total of his career.

He has been the most dominant, dependable defensive tackle of his generation and I'd like to see him retire a Patriot where it all began. Plus his addition would make a fearsome front; Wilfork, Seymour and Love/Armstead.

I agree about Seymour being able to help. I disagree that his best years were in Oakland. Go look at him as a rookie. He was flying up the field. The problem Is I dont thnk he wants to come back but I believe he could help in a situational role and allow them to more flexible and switch to 3-4 more but there has to some sort of Seymour equilivant to fit the bill. What happened to the similar guy named Kevin that played In Minny with the 2 massive tackles inside??

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Thing is with Seymour is that he can be a part time player and play in either the 3-4 or 4-3.  If his dollar chasing days are over (and no, I don't blame him) and if bygones are bygones, I'd like to see him back.  I think he could help. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Seymour was playing well before going down in Week 8, notching 15 tackles and three sacks while grading out as a top-12 defensive tackle in Pro Football Focus ratings. Coming into 2012, Seymour had missed just four games since 2007.

Bleacher report disagrees that Seymour can't be more than a part time player and even insists that they should go out of their way to re-sign him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1465752-richard-seymour-should-be-a-priority-for-the-oakland-raiders-to-re-sign

I don't see the drop off, and neither do they, obviously he's not as explosive as he was at 23 but find me a player who is.  What he lacks in explosiveness he more than makes up for in experience and leadership. 

He was an every down player for the Raiders before going down, was easily their best defensive lineman if not defensive player.  Through week 7 before he got hurt Seymour played 83% of the Raider's defensive snaps, does that sound like someone near the end, I don't think so. 

If the money is right and he simply wants to win, if he can put the past behind him we'd be lucky to have him. 

He is still a monster and frankly meaner than anyone we have along our line, I love that he punched Rapistburger in the head and put a nasty hit on Flacco that earned him a fine but it will be one the Raven's QB won't soon forget. 

I understand the hard feelings from some fans here but it's a business at the end of the day and this guy commands the respect of his peers and double teams by opposing O lines, even at his advanced age.  The thought here that he is washed up is baloney that the stats don't support, his tackle total is the only thing that dropped from his Pat's days to his Raider days which can easily be explained with the move from the two gap 3/4 to the upfield rush in the 4/3.  This guy is a leader and a Hall Of Fame talent at any age.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Seymour was playing well before going down in Week 8, notching 15 tackles and three sacks while grading out as a top-12 defensive tackle in Pro Football Focus ratings. Coming into 2012, Seymour had missed just four games since 2007.

Bleacher report disagrees that Seymour can't be more than a part time player and even insists that they should go out of their way to re-sign him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1465752-richard-seymour-should-be-a-priority-for-the-oakland-raiders-to-re-sign

I don't see the drop off, and neither do they, obviously he's not as explosive as he was at 23 but find me a player who is.  What he lacks in explosiveness he more than makes up for in experience and leadership. 

He was an every down player for the Raiders before going down, was easily their best defensive lineman if not defensive player.  Through week 7 before he got hurt Seymour played 83% of the Raider's defensive snaps, does that sound like someone near the end, I don't think so. 

If the money is right and he simply wants to win, if he can put the past behind him we'd be lucky to have him. 

He is still a monster and frankly meaner than anyone we have along our line, I love that he punched Rapistburger in the head and put a nasty hit on Flacco that earned him a fine but it will be one the Raven's QB won't soon forget. 

I understand the hard feelings from some fans here but it's a business at the end of the day and this guy commands the respect of his peers and double teams by opposing O lines, even at his advanced age.  The thought here that he is washed up is baloney that the stats don't support, his tackle total is the only thing that dropped from his Pat's days to his Raider days which can easily be explained with the move from the two gap 3/4 to the upfield rush in the 4/3.  This guy is a leader and a Hall Of Fame talent at any age.

Im not gonna sit here and lie and say Ive watched all the raiders game, but its just hard to guage anything when teams are that bad but I agree he could def. help.  Wether its f/t or p/t would be up to the coache but he would be MORE effective as a situtional guy. D-lineman can have long careers if they keep in shape. A.Pleasant played a role here in 2001 and although Seymoure is more talented I would envison that role for him here. Part time and mentor others. Ted Washington was pretty old when he arrived and anchored a Sb defense BUT the biggest roadlock here is Seymour putting the past behind him and making one more run. If there will still some of the old heads here for him to be with, I would think he MAY consider but as it stands now, I think he is still bitter about the trade and would never entertain it. SOOOO, its nice that PFW has him being a fulltime player but it AINT gonna be here IMO. If so, they should have done a year ago. I thnk the ship has sailed so to speak

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Agreed PE, I'd take Melton. I love Seymour but it seems unlikely considering how he left town.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wozzy, first it's bleacher report. I really don't think anyone takes bleach report seriously. Second it was in Oak, a lot of Oak players look great but it's just they are on a bad team by comparison. I mean everyone and their grandmother threw against Oak because they were giving up 66% of passes with the 3rd worst QB rating (for D's) and 2 least amount of sacks. Additionally who did Oak have to rest Seymour? Bryant had to take Kelleys snaps on almost all passing downs and who was Seymour's sub, Bilukidi? Additionally Seymour was only asked to rush and not play multiple roles like he was in NE. For the right price I'd like him back and would use him in what Deadrick is currently being used for. But, don't think you'd be getting anything close to Seymour in his prime