If you could sign 2 FA's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

If you could sign 2 FA's

My choices would both be from Cleveland---Ward and Mack. Now, I inderstand there are obviously cap considerations at this point but that's been discussed plenty and I fall into the camp that believes NE will create enough room to be competitive (and I'm hoping we will target at least a couple upper tier guys, hence these two)

As far as Ward goes, I I know the board draft gurus are all hoping that Pryor falls to 29 but to steal Trip OGs argument, why go through the whole "wait and see" process on yet another unproven rookie SS, why not go get a young vet who by all accounts does exactly what you want a SS to do and does it well! That way you don't have to hope Pryor falls in the draft and you can go after a top DT like Hageman, Nix, or even Jernigan (who could be there) and maybe even double dip. I expect them to draft one of the better TEs as well

my reasoning on Mack is, again, I think we all agree we need to improve the OL and center over the last few years has been merely adequate at best and typically the guys there have been a tad undersized--it's time to add one more elite guy to that line to go with Solder, Mankins, Cannon, and hopefully a healthy Vollmer--you can always add depth later in the draft (Bitonio or Stork perhaps) 

thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: If you could sign 2 FA's

I agree with you on the O-line issue but if i had to sign 2 free agents i go with what i know... Talib & Edelman. The O-line can be dealt with by restructuring Connolly and moving him back to center and moving Cannon to RG. I would address the interior O-line in the draft to supplement.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Both are very good choices. After the Gronk injury though I just can't see BB taking Ward, I mean you see that death stare?

I'm going to go with Authur Jones and Whitner

Of course I also have price in mind. If I could spend whatever I wanted I'd love Linval Joseph and Vontae Davis

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with you on the O-line issue but if i had to sign 2 free agents i go with what i know... Talib & Edelman. The O-line can be dealt with by restructuring Connolly and moving him back to center and moving Cannon to RG. I would address the interior O-line in the draft to supplement.

[/QUOTE]

Your right Ghost, I meant to preface by saying FAs other than our own, I do think Talib every effort will be made to bring Talib back, it sure seems that BB likes him a lot not only as player but as a person as well--with Edelman I think they want him but are prepared to move on if the numbers don't work

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Both are very good choices. After the Gronk injury though I just can't see BB taking Ward, I mean you see that death stare?

Of course I also have price in mind. If I could spend whatever I wanted I'd love Linval Joseph and Vontae Davis

[/QUOTE]

Would have NO problem with Jones &  Whitner!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like your Whitner and Davis options. Walk on Talib and cut Gregory.

Davis finally played a full season last year and might be a safer option injury wise to Talib.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think both Ward and Mack sign with the Browns before Free Agency opens up for all teams

If the assumption is that Talib and Edelman are back, I would like to see a DE added (Griffin) and a physical SS added.

If Mallett is traded, obviously a back up QB is at the top of the list

It sounds like OL help can be had in rounds 1-4. Also sounds like WR help can be had rounds 1-3, but I prefer a vet wide out with 3 2nd year players and 2 UDFA's in camp

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Talib and Whitner

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My choices would both be from Cleveland---Ward and Mack. Now, I inderstand there are obviously cap considerations at this point but that's been discussed plenty and I fall into the camp that believes NE will create enough room to be competitive (and I'm hoping we will target at least a couple upper tier guys, hence these two)

As far as Ward goes, I I know the board draft gurus are all hoping that Pryor falls to 29 but to steal Trip OGs argument, why go through the whole "wait and see" process on yet another unproven rookie SS, why not go get a young vet who by all accounts does exactly what you want a SS to do and does it well! That way you don't have to hope Pryor falls in the draft and you can go after a top DT like Hageman, Nix, or even Jernigan (who could be there) and maybe even double dip. I expect them to draft one of the better TEs as well

my reasoning on Mack is, again, I think we all agree we need to improve the OL and center over the last few years has been merely adequate at best and typically the guys there have been a tad undersized--it's time to add one more elite guy to that line to go with Solder, Mankins, Cannon, and hopefully a healthy Vollmer--you can always add depth later in the draft (Bitonio or Stork perhaps) 

thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

If only left to choose 2, I would have to think about it but I like the Ward pickup obviously and I do like Mack but just not sure his numbers. If we have to pay him anything significant, I would rather get a C in the draft in mid rounds. I mean its not gonna take much to upgrade from Wendell.

I prefer to look to free agency for positions that are harder to fill in the draft. Seeing as we have drafted a myriad of safeties(Meri, Chung, Harmon, Wilson) with not much stability I WOULD opt to go free agency for my SS. WR? Same thing. After watching those growing pains with the rooks last year I dont know WHY anyone wants to add ANOTHER Rookie to that equation. We are in need of a solid vet to offset all that youth.

So in short.

SS, WR, TE(lots of lower level guys like Pascoe that are reliable) I would like to see in free agency

C, G, DT, CB - I would like to look to the draft for those positions and spend a couple late flyers on another DE and project WR to bring in camp as well as undrafted TE if we get one in free agency to compete and go on p/s for injury depth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

by that logic I dont know why anyone thinks pollard would be coming here. He not only took out the franchise but Gronk and Wes too...lol

I like Whitner too but if BB really wants to sew it up, get the younger Ward. Whitner is old and has put a lot of punishment on that body. I see him as a one to two year stopgap which we will cut and have to eat money later. Ward could play out his whole contract here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yeah, that death stare was brutal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Mack and Byrd cut Wendell and Gregory

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

This topic is difficult to address until we see where negotiations go with Talib and Edelman.  I think the probability that Talib stays is 50/50 while I think JE is gone.

With this in mind, I have rated our needs first and looked at available FAs at the position.  Kudos to Bedard who recently listed a countdown from 50-1 of available FAs.

Need 1- Interior DL:  Linval Joseph as first option, then Arthur Jones as a fall-back.  Maybe they'll be too pricey but kick the tires.  Last resort? Randy Starks who always seems to make plays.

Need 2- SS: T.J. Ward is the only dude out there really.  Maybe BB will bury the hatchet (preferably not in TJ).  Maybe Donte Whitner?

Need 3- CB: Vontae Davis or Sam Shields.  They seem about equal to me.  Make a run at either with prudent money and see what happens.  Even if Talib is back, I think Dennard regressed or offenses got the book on him.  Perhaps Rogers-Cromartie.

Need 4- Vet WR: Pick one from Hakeem Nicks/Emmanuel Sanders/Golden Tate.  They might have warts but our guys need veteran leadership (and JE is most likely gone).

Why no TE?  I think this year's draft has a bunch of TE talent down to Round 4.  We'll find someone better than Mulligan.  The same logic applies to edge rushers.  The pundits say this is a deep draft in our positions of need.  Maybe we can double-dip at these positions too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Death stare or not, the Ward hit was clean, and would assume that BB knows that after watching the tape... he would also know that Ward can play.  He's exactly the type of physical defender that they're missing on the back end of the defense and would be huge down in the box vs. the run as well.  He's been my #1 FA want for a while.

Offensively, I think James Jones could be somewhat realistic and believe he could do some very good things when paired with TB.  He'd provide that outside the numbers WR, with size, that everyone wants.  I also would love to see Golden Tate or Emmanuel Sanders... or even SEA RFA Doug Baldwin.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Mack and Whitner/Pollard/Ward/anyone who can put the fear of god into the opposing team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

User_ and MB, Great Posts! I agree on All.

I always wondered why everyone considered the Ward hit dirty. It was a routine play. Its just that Gronk is a long strider and got caught with his foot planted. No malicious intent that I could see but homers will be homers...

Pollard went from P.E. # 1 to Fan favorite in ONE offseason after uninformed fans watched the SB and realized there is still a need for a SS.

I made a thread a year ago saying SS was the #1 priority and most folks here laughed and said they had no place in the league anymore....lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mack and Whitner/Pollard/Ward/anyone who can put the fear of god into the opposing team.

[/QUOTE]

+1.

even let Harmon take over for gregory if BB wants to be cheap.

just get rid of gregory

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Talib and Whitner.  Though mack is awful tempting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I'd go with Mack and one of the two DE's from the Vikes....the new DL coach from the Vikes knows everything we need to know about both guy's and could make the most of them w/out much of a learning curve other than adapting to our Defensive schemes an philosphy...Mack is an established pro/vet in a position we desperately need to upgrade ...I think he'd be worth it for the $$ he'd cost...

All this assumes Talib resigns with us...I already consider Edleman gone