If you could trade meriweather

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

If you could trade meriweather

for a first round pick would you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

Re: If you could trade meriweather

In Response to If you could trade meriweather:
    for a first round pick would you?
    Posted by sirpinochle

yes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Yes quicker than I wrote this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

no he knows our system and he is just starting to reach his potential.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

No, he has the potential to be an Ed Reed type of player. He's a 1st round pick, so where is the value in that? We are trading a proven NFL 1st rounder for a maybe NFL 1st rounder. Bad trade. I would only trade him for two 1st round picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Of Course.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Absolutely!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"No, he has the potential to be an Ed Reed type of player"

Sorry but it's a joke to even mention Merriweather and Ed Reed in the same sentence.  The only similarities are they are safeties who played college at Miami.  That's not meant as a big knock on Merriweather, he just doesn't warrant that comparison to a future hall of famer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

people tout his ability but I have mixed feelings on that...he has bad hands for a d back so he will never be another ed reed...and reed anticpates well based on film study and experience and is always in the right spot...meriweather not so much...even with all those negatives he is not so bad we need to completely start over... so no

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

No

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

as offered... No, but if the offer was for more then a 1st I would listen. I don't think he is the next Ed Reed or anything but I think this is the year that you see what he will be. He has suposidly rededicated himself and uses Reed's blueprint for working out and getting better. I guess it would take a 1st and a third or better for me to consider it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I think it's a little to early to trade him, altho this upcoming season is critical for him to perform well.

He's about the same height and weight as Reed, but he's giving away in both height and weight to the likes of Rodney Harrison - so, if anyone thinks he can just step into Harrison's shoes - I think you would be mistaken.

Harrison was able to take on bigger guys vs. run and w/ TEs when asked to step up into the box. Unless Meriweather gained 20 lbs of muscle mass w/o reducing his speed - I don't think he'll do as well as Harrison.

Although it's a different position, remember it took Asante Samuel about 3-4 seasons before the INTs started rolling in. Plus, it helps to have a decent pass rush to force the QB into making mistakes w/ throws.

Meriweather did look really, really bad vs. NO last season. We'll see how he does this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Absolutely not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

uch just stop all this meriweather stuff already. nobody is offering a one for him and he's not going anywhere so its a silly discussion. he's not ed reed but neither is anyone else. but he is better than any other free safety we've had around here lately...just remember the days of tebucky jones, big play-no tackle willie clay, terry ray, corwin brown...these were not exactly ed reed either. and they generally had the benefit of playing with at least one high level corner (ty law) and SS (lawyer in his prime or rodney) and a team with a good pass rush, a d line that couldnt be run on, and great leadership. meriweather doesnt have any of that now. sure he missed some plays and i think he will probably always be frustrating at times. but he's fast and strong and if the rest of the defense develops around him (butler, chung, some as yet unknown linebackers), everything will be ok. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I'm torn on this one.  I think Meriweather has a ton of talent but he is so inconsistent.  He'll have a great game and come back the next week and have a dud.  He has all the skills you want in a safety but does he have it upstairs?  I don't think it will happen but if someone offered a first and something else I would think long and hard about it.  I am very high on Pat Chung and think he'll be a very good strong safety.  James Sanders came on strong at the end of the year and held the backfield together.  McGowan is a solid backup.  So it's not like we're short on safeties.  I don't think it will happen but maybe when is contract is coming to an end you might see some movement.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

once again, im in the minority here.

I believe Meriweather is progressing like a normal NFL star does.  no i wouldnt trade him

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Meriweathers play is give and take. you enjoy some big hits and some flash of playmaking then hes youre man. If you enjoy poor field positioning and taking huge risks that are 50/50 chances, then hes youre man too.

1st round pick could be anything... If it meant Eric Berry I would do it in a heart beat. I dont think Sanders or McGowan should be starters. Theyre outstanding backups and role players.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

First and foremost he was an alternate Pro Bowler this year,secondly he is being played at the wrong position as a SS when in fact he's a prototype FS,if you noticed his game improved dramatically when James Sanders was moved back into the SS position and he was returned to the FS spot. I would trade any player not named Brady for the right price! The question is what his value is on the trade market,if you can get a first round pick this year and a fourth round pick in either this or next years draft, you would have too seriously consider it. The thing about an additional first round pick this year is the quality of player who will be available and I'm not really a guy who thinks a draft choice is going to come in and start from day one,but this years crop is a very talented crop of rookies,with that said the Patriots will be movers on Draft day or days this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

For now I wouldnt trade him just cuz you dont know the progress of Chung. And you dont know how meriweather will progress in 2010. Is he still going to get better or will he plateau as a player.

Playing football aside - I am however very upset at Meriweathers immature attitude in the locker room. Think he needs to grow up and start being a patriot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

If he wasn't improving-yes, but he has continued to improve. I would not make the trade. It's only been two seasons.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Depends on where the pick is. Top 15 I'm listening, top 10 done deal, anything else for just a first? yeah no thank you. He's improved every year he's player and imo he's going to be a pro-bowler. Any pick not in the first 15 is to much of a gamble to give up a young, pro-bowl caliber player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

If you are telling me I can get Berry or Earl Thomas maybe. If not, no.

Pro Football Focus had him rated as the 7th best safety in the league last year out of all(both SS and FS) safeties last season.

I wish he would stop going for all the kill shots but that's what so many of the DB's do now. 

Half the time they either mis the guy or just bounce off anyway. What ever happened to just keeping your head up and wrapping the guy up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Why would you even bring this up? Has something been said in the media to start this rumor or is it just you! HUH? So you dont like Meriweather is that it? Out with it boy, speak up!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

No Why would you want to spend so much time getting as rookie up to speed and then trade him for another rookie that has to be gotten up to speed?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

The problem with trading him is that the Pats would need a replacement for a guy who knows the system, and they'd likely need to use that very pick on someone you hope can replace him.  I know this post is meant as a hypothetical question, but to me, at some point the Pats need to decide if they're rebuilding or contending.  If they trade someone who seems to be a core guy on defense who's still on his rookie deal and still has some room for growth, you're still in rebuilding mode.  That window of opportunity with Brady isn't gonna be there forever.