If you could trade meriweather

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: If you could trade meriweather

probably a fair trade, but i think this  is his breakout season. keep him

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

"Playing football aside - I am however very upset at Meriweathers immature attitude in the locker room. Think he needs to grow up and start being a patriot."

What exactly are you referring to here? i havent heard anything about him being a bad locker room guy. have there been any incidents?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I wouldn't shed any tears if he were to be traded.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Faster than Merriweather whiffing on a Ray Rice td run.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Only for a Top-10 pick.  Top-15 with a 3rd-4th.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Isn't Meriweather a FS? Why do people love to compare him to Hot Rod? He'll never be Rodney, Chung is going to play SS next year. I don't think Sanders is strong enough to play SS, and since Meriweather took the FS job from him by mid-season, I don't see why Belichick would put him back at FS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

ok the concensus around the league is drafted players get 3 years to become difference makers... now the pats have spent all this time developing that raw talent and he's almost there... why the h3ll would you trade him so you can draft yet another raw first round talent that's going to want a huge contract and is going to need more teaching... Wat da F#ck is wrong with you people saying yes?? im glad none of you make decisions for the pats... lets say you trade that pick for a veteran that veteran may or may not fit your system, locker room ect ect to trade B.M is a huge gamble you're trading a young developing talent for something you have no idea about ITS A FREAKING SHOT IN THE DARK!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

you guys write some dumb ISH.... why would we trade an up and coming young safety one of the best in the league that knows our system and plays hard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

What if someone offered a number one for Gary Guyton? For Shemp Howard? For a box of potatoes?

What a stupid discussion topic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

THIS IS A PATS LITMUS TEST QUESTION !

Meriweather has become a polarizing figure among Pats fans .

You either love him or hate him .

Personally , I found it very interesting that regular Boston.com contributers  (whose opinions  I normally greatly respect ) were on the opposite side of the fence then me on this one .

If I were the Pats GM and was offered that hypothetical 1st round offer...

WOULD I BITE ?

Yah , quicker than a cobra.

In my opinion , BRANDON "U-TURN" MERIWEATHER  is not the answer.

Meriweather reminds me of a Jaguar Convertible I use to own .

Racing green , tan leather , replaced the stock alloy wheels with the BBS wire one's ( to give it that classy vintage feel ).

Headturner ...

Only problem was it looked sleeker than it drove . 
    It was heavy and plodding .
    Nothing special in the ooomff department and tended to oversteer . 

I kept it a few years and it was ok

Finally , got rid of it when the kids came along .
     I traded it in for a Suburban LT with a Sunroof
    ( which incidentally was actually smoother and substantially more comfortable )

Yah , the Jag was cooler looking , but the loaded Sub ending up being the superior ride .

I 'd guess I'd prefer the Pats get themselves a nice SUV at Safety and move the Jag Convt. onto some unsuspecting buyer .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

What if someone offered a number one for Gary Guyton? For Shemp Howard? For a box of potatoes? What a stupid discussion topic.
    Posted by Sveltics

Hey Sveltics ...You're stupid
    ( and in my book , not a respected Boston.com poster )

The question is a legitimate one .

There likely would be needy Gm's that would probably pull the trigger ...and others that wouldn't .

The Topic Poster was just trying to test the waters on what Pats fans would do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjrpatfan. Show mjrpatfan's posts

NO!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

He misses way too many tackles and was atrocious against NO last season.  No it wasnt just one game, he did that plenty of times last season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: If you could trade meriweather:
     THIS IS A PATS LITMUS TEST QUESTION !   Meriweather has become a polarizing figure among Pats fans .   You either love him or hate him .    Personally , I found it very interesting that regular Boston.com contributers  (whose opinions  I normally greatly respect ) were on the opposite side of the fence then me on this one .  If I were the Pats GM and was offered that hypothetical 1st round offer... WOULD I BITE ? Yah , quicker than a cobra.  In my opinion , BRANDON "U-TURN" MERIWEATHER  is not the answer.

Agreed that we have fans on both sides of the fence.......same thing with Laura.
    The difference is that Meriweather is still pretty green. I don't think he can fill Harrison's shoes - not sure if it's even a fair comparison as they don't have the same physical makeup. Plus, we got Harrison when he was a seasoned veteran. If Meriweather does NOT have a good 2010 year....then yeah, let's see if we can get anything for him...otherwise, gotta still try to use him the best we can.

We have 12 picks this year....I doubt we will use all of them for pics - but since it's a deep draft - we need to fill some holes....and trade as needed to pick up draft picks for next year too. We'll have at least two first round picks next year? Dunno if 2011 drafts are going to be considered a deep draft or not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HartLeeDykesEuguneChung. Show HartLeeDykesEuguneChung's posts

No, Merriweather is improving, he is one of the few players on defense that has any playmaking ability.  He's no Ed Reed, and he has much to improve on tackling wise, but he is a legitimate top 15 safety in the league.  He's not a bust for a late first rounder either.  And, I think he is turning into a vocal leader, which both Mayo and Big Vince aren't.  Very important with this particular Patriots defense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

What if someone offered a number one for Gary Guyton? For Shemp Howard? For a box of potatoes? What a stupid discussion topic.
    Posted by Sveltics

Now Shemp Howared was a star and came in as a replacement of another star - right? He was definitely all-Pro material although did not get enough recognition!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

How is he a bad locker room guy? link to story where you heard this please.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

MVP Killa,

I think the whole secondary was lacking the in the leadership area last year and rumors were the younger guys were laughing and fooling around in teh locker room after a loss. If Harrison was there, you know that would never have happened.

Meriweather needs to be a leader on and off the field. He has been improving, needs to work on his tackling. Other than that I would not think to trade him as Sanders and McGowan were not good enough to consistantly start the whole season. Although there were rumors of Sanders having a shoulder injury so McGowan had the nod for the starts.

I hope Chung steps up this year!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Sure hope he's got thick skin
    This season , the fans will let Brandon "U-Turn " Meriweather have it if he continues to misread "big plays " the other way .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know? He's improved so much. Went from being terrible to performing like a third round pick. Lets see what he brings to the table; small, misses tackles, blows coverages, known thug. But hey, he made the pro bowl and is the 7th rated safety in the league. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

But hey, he made the pro bowl
    Posted by mthurl

David Garrard made the PB too

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

Originally, I was pretty torn...Merri showed some serious flaws in his role this year, exponentially the biggest was by NO means his tackling.  Rather, it was him biting on play-action fakes, short-mid routes, and leaving his role as the Defense's last safety-valve-defender (no pun) and especially a CBs last-line of help in the deep-zone, well...wide open.  BUT, upon further thought...NO way I'm giving up Meriweather for one 1st rder, and HERE'S Why:

The guy's only been here 3 years, and Merri saw extremely limited time as a Rookie (not even sure IF he started any games, and if he did-it was only 2 or 3).  So alright, given Merri's 2 starting seasons, He's had something like over 80 TTs, at least 4 INTs, and 2 FFs EACH of those just 2 starting seasons. 
         But THIS ain't the bigger factor as to WHY I'm not tradin' him for a 1st rder...

People are so quick to point out 2 similiar plays that Merri bit on twice...1 vs Indy, and thus leaving Butler without that deep Safety help, which set up a "Peyton Interference" bogus penalty on the 1 yard line, and eventually a score.  New Orleans actually saw that Merriweather misstep and used a very similiar decoy route and pump-fake and all, to exploit Merri...and yup, He DID take the bait...single CB coverage=New Orleans TD.  Aright, those 2, and yes-very costly plays beside, ANYone here givin' Merri perhaps 1 ounce of credit for being the first and biggest defender to hold up Leodis McKelvin on that Buffalo kick-off return, so another defender could strip the ball deep in enemy territory, so that NE could win the game?  ANYone here givin' Merri ANY credit for his 2 INTs in London against Tampa, the first on TBs very first possession which he returned for a TD starting to blow Tampa up, then sealing the deal soon after with his 2nd Int?
         But, Guess what?  THIS ain't the biggest factor WHY I ain't tradin' Merri either.

IT'S THIS:
    Bill Belichick is asking his core of Safeties to do what NO other Coach EVER has before...yes, reallyAnd I've explained this numerous times...  BB wants Interchangeable Safeties.  BB wants this in order to disguise his Defensive Looks far better, not simply because it's the pass-happy NFL with far more multiple receiver sets and far more complicated patterns, but because so many QBs have gotten unbelievably better and reading Defenses. 
         And All That Means:  Now when a Strong Safety crowds the box when sensing it's a run, the QB nowadays simply calls a play audible to exploit on a passing play, single coverage downfield.  But, audibling QBs are far more adept at ever on other things too...Same 1 of the Safeties is being used on a TE, the QB exploits it by taking the TE out of the play direction.  Same 1 of the Safeties is weaker in coverage (usually SS) and being used in the standard fixed SS or FS roles, Then exploit that particular Safety, again and again.  Same 1 of the Safeties is worse in run-defense (usually FS), audible a run or screen to his area.  I mean, these are simply a few of the uncomplicated ways to exploit these Safeties in very layman's terms.  

So check this out...Belichick in wanting Interchangeable Safeties has been mixing his Safeties up.  Merri last year showed insane potential and instincts in run D, Safety blitzing, and overall a tough, hard-pounding aggressive nature as being almost entirely in a Strong Safety role.  Belichick (noone else) CHANGED Merri's role for the 2009-10 season, placing Merriweather in deep zone, and thus more of a Free Safety, more than Merriweather had ever seen before in ANY extended time of his entire Football career.  This Free Safety role is more of a cerebral signal-caller and deep zone CB coverage help...Yet, Merri brought more of his Strong Safety big-play, and moreso, Agressive Attitude and Instincts to bear on a role where that's more situated to hangin' tight initially and being far more patient (at least versus a SS role)- as you're waitin' for the play to fully develop... 
         Don'tcha see EVERYone?  Merri's been here 3 years, 2 starting years and sheez.  NOT simply learning the complications of the NFL, Belichick's Defenses, and learning 1 single Safety role, BUT Merri has to have ALL those differing complications for MULTIPLE, god-not just Safety roles and their differing attitudes and mindsets of a Free AND Strong Safety, but man-Belichick uses many times 3 Safeties with 1 as essentially a Tight End/Slot Receiver/RB out of backfield, Coverage Safety, essentially using a 3rd Safety as formerly where once a Cornerback and at times a Linebacker was used.  AND, Having ALL these Safety roles ideally for his Defense, NOT simply interchangeable between games and during the season, but interchangeable within and during the Games themselves.  And yup-They ALL have to be equally adept at covering a receiver, and equally adept at being aggressively hard-hitting and good tacklers, and equally adept at being more patient cerebral play tacticians... 

Yup, piece of cake to find and develop NFL Safeties who already hopefully have even any experience at Strong Safety, Free Safety, and Cornerback (unreal to find someone with even the limited experience of Merri in those 3 roles while @ U of M)...  Piece of cake to find guys who have the usually much better body-control and quick agility found in smaller guys like Cornerbacks; And those same Guys- also still having enough overall strength, size and mass so they're bodies don't break off a ball-carrier (or actually don't break down) coupled with that fearlessness and aggressive mentality of a Strong Safety; And those same Guys- also having that unreal speed, cerebralness, Football IQ and great filmwork and several but specific aspects of the aforementioned SS and CB qualities found in Free Safeties.
         Lmao...Oh yea-EACH and EVERY one of those Safeties can't hesitate in ANY of those interchanging-at-any-time Roles, Because IF you hesitate and IF each and every one of those roles ISN'T entirely natural...bam, the plays already by you in the Pros.

~BUT, See People this (if it works) can and will pay HUGE dividends on the Defensive side of the ball in coming years...I mean simply the amount of disguising and overall subterfuge one could get by having 3 interchanging safeties ALL moving around should simply terrorize opponents.  So yea though...I mean if you ALL want to start over on someone because a guy hasn't mastered the greater challenges of what's never been asked before out of a Safety, In just 2 starting years of Pro Play...yea, maybe we should get that 1st rder.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

To ALL : Originally, I was pretty torn...Merri showed some serious flaws in his role this year, exponentially the biggest was by NO means his tackling.  Rather, it was him biting on play-action fakes, short-mid routes, and leaving his role as the Defense's last safety-valve-defender (no pun) and especially a CBs last-line of help in the deep-zone, well...wide open.  BUT , upon further thought... NO  way I'm giving up Meriweather for one 1st rder, and HERE'S Why : The guy's only been here 3 years, and Merri saw extremely limited time as a Rookie (not even sure IF he started any games, and if he did-it was only 2 or 3).  So alright, given Merri's 2 starting seasons, He's had something like over 80 TTs, at least 4 INTs, and 2 FFs EACH of those just 2 starting seasons.       But THIS ain't the bigger factor as to WHY I'm not tradin' him for a 1st rder... People are so quick to point out 2 similiar plays that Merri bit on twice...1 vs Indy, and thus leaving Butler without that deep Safety help, which set up a "Peyton Interference" bogus penalty on the 1 yard line, and eventually a score.  New Orleans actually  saw that Merriweather misstep and used a very similiar decoy route and pump-fake and all, to exploit Merri...and yup, He DID take the bait...single CB coverage=New Orleans TD.  Aright, those 2, and yes-very costly plays beside, ANY one here givin' Merri perhaps 1 ounce of credit for being the first and biggest defender to hold up Leodis McKelvin on that Buffalo kick-off return, so another defender could strip the ball deep in enemy territory, so that NE could win the game?  ANY one here givin' Merri ANY credit for his 2 INTs in London against Tampa, the first on TBs very first possession which he returned for a TD starting to blow Tampa up, then sealing the deal soon after with his 2nd Int?      But, Guess what?  THIS ain't the biggest factor WHY I ain't tradin' Merri either. IT'S THIS : Bill Belichick is asking his core of Safeties to do what NO other Coach EVER has before...yes, really .  And I've explained this numerous times...  BB wants Interchangeable Safeties .  BB wants this in order to disguise his Defensive Looks far better, not simply because it's the pass-happy NFL with far more multiple receiver sets and far more complicated patterns, but because so many QBs have gotten unbelievably better and reading Defenses.       And All That Means:  Now when a Strong Safety crowds the box when sensing it's a run, the QB nowadays simply calls a play audible to exploit on a passing play, single coverage downfield.  But, audibling QBs are far more adept at ever on other things too...Same 1 of the Safeties is being used on a TE, the QB exploits it by taking the TE out of the play direction.  Same 1 of the Safeties is weaker in coverage (usually SS) and being used in the standard fixed SS or FS roles, Then exploit that particular Safety, again and again.  Same 1 of the Safeties is worse in run-defense (usually FS), audible a run or screen to his area.  I mean, these are simply a few of the uncomplicated ways to exploit these Safeties in very layman's terms.   So check this out...Belichick in wanting Interchangeable Safeties has been mixing his Safeties up .  Merri last year showed insane potential and instincts in run D, Safety blitzing, and overall a tough, hard-pounding aggressive nature as being almost entirely in a Strong Safety role.  Belichick (noone else) CHANGED Merri's role for the 2009-10 season, placing Merriweather in deep zone, and thus more of a Free Safety, more than Merriweather had ever seen before in ANY extended time of his entire Football career.  This Free Safety role is more of a cerebral signal-caller and deep zone CB coverage help...Yet, Merri brought more of his Strong Safety big-play, and moreso, Agressive Attitude and Instincts to bear on a role where that's more situated to hangin' tight initially and being far more patient (at least versus a SS role)- as you're waitin' for the play to fully develop...       Don'tcha see EVERY one?   Merri's been here 3 years, 2 starting years and sheez.  NOT simply learning the complications of the NFL, Belichick's Defenses, and learning 1 single Safety role, BUT Merri has to have ALL those differing complications for MULTIPLE, god-not just Safety roles and their differing attitudes and mindsets of a Free AND Strong Safety, but man-Belichick uses many times 3 Safeties with 1 as essentially a Tight End/Slot Receiver/RB out of backfield, Coverage Safety, essentially using a 3rd Safety as formerly where once a Cornerback and at times a Linebacker was used.  AND, Having ALL these Safety roles ideally for his Defense, NOT simply interchangeable between games and during the season, but interchangeable within and during the Games themselves.  And yup-They ALL have to be equally adept at covering a receiver, and equally adept at being aggressively hard-hitting and good tacklers, and equally adept at being more patient cerebral play tacticians...            Yup, piece of cake to find and develop NFL Safeties who  already hopefully have even any experience at Strong Safety, Free Safety, and Cornerback (unreal to find someone with even the limited experience of Merri in those 3 roles while @ U of M)...  Piece of cake to find guys who have the usually much better body-control and quick agility found in smaller guys like Cornerbacks ; And those same Guys- also still having enough overall strength, size and mass so they're bodies don't break off a ball-carrier (or actually don't break down) coupled with that fearlessness and aggressive mentality of a Strong Safety ; And those same Guys- also having that unreal speed, cerebralness, Football IQ and great filmwork and several but specific aspects of the aforementioned SS and CB qualities found in Free Safeties .      Lmao...Oh yea-EACH and EVERY one of those Safeties can't hesitate in ANY of those interchanging-at-any-time Roles, Because IF you hesitate and IF  each and every one of those roles ISN'T entirely natural...bam, the plays already by you in the Pros.      ~ BUT , See People this (if it works) can and will pay HUGE dividends on the Defensive side of the ball in coming years...I mean simply the amount of disguising and overall subterfuge one could get by having 3 interchanging safeties ALL moving around should simply terrorize opponents .  So yea though...I mean if you ALL want to start over on someone because a guy hasn't mastered the greater challenges of what's never been asked before out of a Safety, In just 2 starting years of Pro Play...yea, maybe we should get that 1st rder.         
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium
    Great post maybe you don't have to work on a wind farm just yet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to If you could trade meriweather:Yes, if it is a high or mid-round one. No, if late in round one.
    for a first round pick would you?
    Posted by sirpinochle

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Nice , well thought out post LAZ

I'd still take ANYONES 1st rounder ( even Indys )

Hopefully your right ( and I'm way wrong ) about " U-TURN "

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong
    ( I remember being Jazzed when we traded up in 2nd round for Mr Chad Jackson )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

You can buy potatoes in box?...not 'round here you can't.