If you feel the Pats can't win in Carolina, then....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

If you feel the Pats can't win in Carolina, then....

you must also feel they are not a Super Bowl caliber team.

This game in Carolina will be the first step in defining the Pats as a legitimate SB contender and I believe they are on the way. How many times has it been said here this young team needs to get game experiences to start showing their potential? The second half of the season is where this team shines as all of BBs tweaking to this point is starting to jell.  If there is one chink in this, it is the unexpected losses of two key defensive players in Mayo and Wilfork, but, the team will overcome that. Plus, Talib is really stepping up big time as the D leader.

IMHO, the Panthers will be a real good test and position the Pats for Denver and the rest of the season. This game will test the offense against a pretty darn good defense.  Next week it will be the defense's turn to look good against a darn good offense.  All in all, this is what BB is building this team up to do and that is gearing up for the playoffs. Will the Pats be the "hot" team this season going into the playoffs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: If you feel the Pats can't win in Carolina, then....

I don't think anybody here has doubts about this Monday's game.  The Panthers are a solid team but they aren't some benchmark team that will decide if we are a Super Bowl contender or not, IMO.  If there ever was one of those games this year,  it would be against the Saints and the Broncos.

I am very excited to see how this team comes off the bye.  Guys are well rested, rookies continuing to learn, more implementation of Gronk, etc.  I think the Pats come out and put a nice beating on the Panthers.  27-17 Pats

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In my estimation, both the Carolina and Denver games will provide a very good measure of just how much of a contender the Pats truly are.  Both the O and the D need to show up in both of these games and special teams need to contribute as they have all year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Pats can win anywhere. But if they lose- I won't write them off as a contender.  As others have said it's defintely a benchmark game. Looking forward to watching how they play the game and match up against the Panthers. And then Denver... THE game of the regular season. Can't wait. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Playoffs are a completely different competition, than the regular season

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you must also feel they are not a Super Bowl caliber team.

This game in Carolina will be the first step in defining the Pats as a legitimate SB contender and I believe they are on the way. How many times has it been said here this young team needs to get game experiences to start showing their potential? The second half of the season is where this team shines as all of BBs tweaking to this point is starting to jell.  If there is one chink in this, it is the unexpected losses of two key defensive players in Mayo and Wilfork, but, the team will overcome that. Plus, Talib is really stepping up big time as the D leader.

IMHO, the Panthers will be a real good test and position the Pats for Denver and the rest of the season. This game will test the offense against a pretty darn good defense.  Next week it will be the defense's turn to look good against a darn good offense.  All in all, this is what BB is building this team up to do and that is gearing up for the playoffs. Will the Pats be the "hot" team this season going into the playoffs?

[/QUOTE]

The other step was playing New Orleans too. 

They've played some good teams. But these next two are tests. 

And I agree ... of the three Carolina is the biggest test because they have that defense and scrambling QB. 

Carolina are SF-light or Seattle-light ... the kind of team that NE will have to face if they can make it out of a slightly weaker AFC. 

The best, news, for me ... I don't think Denver, KC, Cincy, or Indy are for real or complete teams. If NE can stay healthy and continue to build rapport on offense, and get healthy again on defense, they have just as much a shot as anyone in the AFC to advance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think anybody here has doubts about this Monday's game.  The Panthers are a solid team but they aren't some benchmark team that will decide if we are a Super Bowl contender or not, IMO.  If there ever was one of those games this year,  it would be against the Saints and the Broncos.

[/QUOTE]

If all hands are on deck ... I think Carolina is a tougher test than either of the other two. I'm not saying it's a SB litmus test, but they have a defense that can bring pressure at any stage of a game (not just when they are up 2-3 scores). And they have an offense that can grind it out, and make some splashy plays downfield when they need them. 

Structurally, they are more like teams NE has struggled with. They aren't reliant on WRs, which NE can bottle up when they are healthy (Talib > Dennard > Arrington), rather they are reliant on running backs and/or running QBs [in this case] and defense front seven play. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

When you think back to how we always seemed to struggle during our trophy seasons, in those same ways 2013 feels like dejavu. There has been consistant growth on both sides of the ball both attributed to and despite potentially catastrophic injuries. They've proven solid depth and the ability to do what it takes to win. Yes, these next three weeks will be telling and I believe they will more than hold their own. But in the end, the tournament is where they will shine, just like back in the good ole days. Peaking at the right time is even more critical than mid-season success. GO PATS!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Playoffs are a completely different competition, than the regular season

[/QUOTE]

good point.  But I think the fist half of the season and the second half of the season are completely different too.  First half you see what you have.  Second half you take what you have and build for the championship.  I am very excited to see how we come out and play Monday night.  Will it be a good start to the championship?  With Talib back, with Vereen back and everyone else having time off to heal, I think we are on our way.  Look out AFC.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The other step was playing New Orleans too. 

They've played some good teams. But these next two are tests. 

And I agree ... of the three Carolina is the biggest test because they have that defense and scrambling QB. 

Carolina are SF-light or Seattle-light ... the kind of team that NE will have to face if they can make it out of a slightly weaker AFC. 

The best, news, for me ... I don't think Denver, KC, Cincy, or Indy are for real or complete teams. If NE can stay healthy and continue to build rapport on offense, and get healthy again on defense, they have just as much a shot as anyone in the AFC to advance.

[/QUOTE]

They can't get healthy again on defense.  Wilfork, Mayo, and Kelly aren't going to step onto the field again.  Our defense was looking like it could be very good this year.  I think the best we can hope for now is that our defense is a little better than last year.  I hope I eat those words.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When you think back to how we always seemed to struggle during or trophy seasons, in those same ways 2013 feels like dejavu. There has been consistant growth on both sides of the ball both attributed to and despite potentially catastrophic injuries. They've proven solid depth and the ability to do what it takes to win. Yes, these next three weeks will be telling and I believe they will more than hold their own. But in the end, the tournament is where they will shine, just like back in the good ole days. Peaking at the right time is even more critical than mid-season success. GO PATS!

[/QUOTE]

What?  We are making it work regardless of depth.  We lack depth.  Have you not been watching the games? Do you know much about football? We went from a solid top 5 run stopping defense to 26th.  Chris Jones has done pretty well but I really wouldn't refer to him as solid depth.  Vellano isn't solid depth either and we have yet to really see what Sopoago and Carter can really do.  Arrignton has been a bust, no depth, Cole is bad, why is he here?  Ryan is young and has looked both good and bad.  On offense there really is no quality depth at WR or TE for that matter.  So I don't know what you mean by solid depth but this team can not take any more injuries.  The fact is its the Patriots make things work with what they have, better then anyone else in the league.  Sometimes it's enough to get to the super bowl.  Just not enough to win it in a while.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I don't think they will win or lose.  I have a wait and see approach for this game.  The Panthers have "that" type of defense that has given us fits and made Brady look mediocre.  With our o-line seemingly a little off this year, I have my doubts they will finally have an answer for this type of defense.  I'm optimistic, but need to see it to believe it.  We've seen these good defenses manhandle us too often (regular season and playoffs) to dismiss or be overly optimistic.  That's what good defenses do.  They make good teams and good QB's look bad.  You expect teams with elite QB's to still look good, just not elite.  Of course, it's a team sport.

In order for me to think we have a SB contending offense, I need to see the offense look good playing against a very good defense.  They don't have to look great, but they do have to look good.  Win or lose, if the offense is struggling and looks ugly....we'll have to pray we face opponents with normal defenses in the playoffs.  We'll have no reason to believe we can beat the teams with "that" type of defense.

I'm thinking our defense will be marginally better than last year.  Maybe some of the guys thrown into the lineup will develop even faster and surprise us.  I think we should be ecstatic to absorb the injuries we have and be a little better than last year.  We would likely have been MUCH better had we not been hit with so many key injuries.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" don't think anybody here has doubts about this Monday's game. "

I do. Everyone should. The NFL is full of surprising wins this year. You don't read the merits of one game into a Super Bowl benchmark. 

The real benchmarks are: can you win your division? Yes, the Pats can. Two: can you get a first round bye? Yes, the Pats can, due to the luck of KC and Denver being in the same division. 

If you can say yes to both those questions, you are a Super Bowl contender, period. Whether you win or lose this weekend. 

That said the Jets are not that far back and if they put together a win streak then we have a different view of things. But hopefully they will do their Jets thing and lose some games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I am pretty nervous about the game Monday.  The Panthers D is real and they are doing enough on offense to win.  The thing I like most about this game is it is coming off a bye week.  While I have expected to see some good played games from the Pats coming off the bye week, there have been a few stinkers BUT they are something like 9-1 after the bye week so it shows they win darn near every game coming off the bye week. 

Very excited for this one with some key players expected to be back.  Just one bad thing.... Another NFL Sunday without the Pats playing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Then you're probably one of the regular posters on this board

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I don't think anyone here thinks the Pats are likely to lose this game, but it would be a nice gauge at how BB's new offense stacks up agaisnt an elite defense.

Dan the Man is finally 100%, Gronk is close to 100 and Brady and Dobson get another week to gel. If Vareen plays, I expect big things from our O.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Pats SB team?? Hope Im wrong but I dont see them getting past divisional round......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Pats SB team?? Hope Im wrong but I dont see them getting past divisional round......

Based on what?  A hunch?  Are you still living in the early games of this season when the Pats were really struggling?

This team is very much like the SB winning teams of the early 00's.  The Pats were not scaring anybody and gutted out win after win when many picked against them.  I recall many times they were expected to get smoked when playing a "quality" opponent, which many consider the Panthers to be, and the Pats smote that team in surprising fashion.  The difference now is the BB-TB tandem has shown a capability to win big games and are expected to win.  People are still scratching their heads how this team is 7 - 2 given all that has happened.  It simply means BB knows how to get a team ready at the right time.  That time has come.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think they will win or lose.  I have a wait and see approach for this game.  The Panthers have "that" type of defense that has given us fits and made Brady look mediocre.  With our o-line seemingly a little off this year, I have my doubts they will finally have an answer for this type of defense.  I'm optimistic, but need to see it to believe it.  We've seen these good defenses manhandle us too often (regular season and playoffs) to dismiss or be overly optimistic.  That's what good defenses do.  They make good teams and good QB's look bad.  You expect teams with elite QB's to still look good, just not elite.  Of course, it's a team sport.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. 

I'm not afraid of Hardy or Johnson. 

Lotulei abusing Wendell and Connoly scares the bejessus out of me though. 

NE, and BB teams in general, do most of their work between the tackles. IF you can dominate that part of the field you can derail the game plan. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I don't think I've read that anyone in this forum can't win against the Panthers, but obviously, a share of people think that the Panther defense might pose problems for the patriot offense.

If the Panthers are successful in getting to Brady, cover the WRs just well enough, and McD abandons the run early (like he has done in the past) - then, sure, the Panthers might end up on top for a low scoring affair (like their win against the 49ers).  The 49ers brought their can of whoop azz against the Patriots.

Getting significant production from Vereen and Talib would be helpful for the Patriots.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Patriots win in a blow out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    you never know. remember that game at the vikings a few years back on mnf. the patriots were supposed to have their hands full against a hot vikings team. they went in and blew them out

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

I am hoping all of your confidence in the Pats Monday is justified - work has had me in Charlotte the last few weeks, and next week too - I bought a ticket to see the game Monday - looking forward to leaving happy!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm pretty nervous about playing Carolina Monday Night.  Carolina matches up against us very well, if not even advantageously.  Their defense is exactly the kind of defense that historically gives NE fits.  With Mankins having a bad year thus far, and Cannon subbing for Vollmer, things could get ugly.  Also our offense has only once fired on all cylinders this year, against an absolutely dreadful Pittsburg defense.  I would have liked to see our O get its groove back a little more consistently before going up against this kind of D.

As for Carolinas O, I expect them to mix up enough running it down our weak middle throats, Cam scrambling, and just enough passing to keep us honest.  If we were fully heatlhy I wouldn't worry about this O, but with the losses we've sustained thus far, it's got me a little shook.  Top it all off with us playing in enemy territory. 

Can we win?  Absolutely.  NE has probably the best after the bye winning record in NFL history under BB.  We've had 2 weeks to prep and rest up.  We are coming off an absolute monster game that very well could have gotten us out of our offensive funk.  So yes, we can certainly win.  But this is the biggest test we've had thus far, and you are right sir, a great litmus test to see if we are SB worthy. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

you never know. remember that game at the vikings a few years back on mnf. the patriots were supposed to have their hands full against a hot vikings team. they went in and blew them out

[/QUOTE]

or that game in Pittsburgh a few years back, against the big bad Steelers.  We went 5 wide and blew the chit out of them.

Sections
Shortcuts