If you HAD to trade for only draft picks, Whats pick # 33 worth?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If you HAD to trade for only draft picks, Whats pick # 33 worth?

Never had an over night before from round 1 to round 2.  I'll bet right after pick 28 the phones light up in NE. You know for sure that after they shut the lites out on pick 32 there will be teams that their guy is still there. What and why do you think pick 33 is worth?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Re: If you HAD to trade for only draft picks, Whats pick # 33 worth?

Yo PHILSKI1
    I applaud your initiative , it's an interesting idea for a poll , but I gotta tell you that of your Poll question choices ~ I believe only the first choice (2012 first Rndr ) and the last couple are realistic
    ( 2nd rounder + 2011 extra picks  /  2nd rounder + 2012 extra picks ) .

As much as we'd all like to believe differently - I can't see anybody giving up a 2012 1st rounder AND a 2011 2nd rounder for the right to select #33.
    ( Especialy considering any player they wanted THAT bad they could've already taken earlier ...excluding Uncle AL of course )

However -There is a third possibility :
    A 2012 first rounder and lesser 2011 pick(s) ... a 3rd & 5th ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Though I think he will keep the pick,I place a high value on #33 just because of the unique position of the pick. So if he trades the pick he will undoubtedley receive a 2nd this year and a first next year. Thats the true value of this pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

What's a used car worth?  If you're the car dealer, the car is worth whatever price you can name if the right rube comes along.  If a fairly sharp customer comes along then the used car isn't worth quite as much, but it's still better to take a small profit than to let the customer walk.  That's because you can always go out tomorrow and buy another used car, then wait for the rube. 

Now, in the last 365 days we have just watched BB trade the #89 pick in the 2010 draft for the #33 pick in the 2011 draft.  What did P.T. Barnum say was "born every minute"?

Actually the source of this pick is even more confusing.  #89 was a door prize given out when New England backed downward in the second round from pick #47.  New England also got Brandon Spikes and Zoltan Mesko out of pick #47.

It gets better.  New England got the 2010 #47 from Tennessee for a 2009 #89.  So that's Brandon Spikes, Zoltan and the upcoming pick #33 all for a late third rounder.  Tennessee's #89 pick turned into tight end Jared Cook, who has 38 receptions over the past two years.

- - -

Adding to confusion, which is usually good news to the used car salesmen, is the fact that most NFL teams expect to be playoff contenders next year.  Unfortunately they can't all be above average.  For this reason, a team with "loser" written all over them will disregard this possibility and trade their 2012 first for pick #33, and figuring that their 2012 pick will only be #32, they will throw in a pick in the 50s or 60s to sweeten the pot. 

Don't trade with Green Bay.   They might actually get a #31 or #32 pick in 2012.  Don't trade with a stable team that is authentically in the second year of rebuilding.  Trade with an overstuffed team from the NFC West, or try Cincinnati or Jacksonville.  Find a team with a new coach.

- - -

Always trade down from the top of the first round to about pick #25.  Those picks are always overrated by someone else, so make a profit. 

Trade picks #25 to #40 down when someone makes you a good enough deal, or when you have absolutely nothing on your draft board at that spot. 

Below pick #40, think about trading up if your guy is hanging ripe on the draft board.  Spend a fifth rounder, jump up and grab him.

Trade down three spots for a fourth round pick just on principle, because another rube could be waiting three more spots down and you have to stay open for business as much as possible. 

Is the #33 pick special because of its position?  Yep!  It's worth at least as much as the #30 pick in my opinion. 

When in doubt, trade, because other teams are counting on you to stay pat and to take some specific guy.  Trading ruins their plans.  Then they make some mistakes.  That's good for you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I couldnt repost till now. I'm thinking that a 3rd this year and a 1st next is fair value.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It all depends on who is trading up and why they are trading up.

If it's say Tenn who is going for a QB when 4 QB's are already off the board then that pick might be worth a 2nd this year and a 1st next year. If it's a team in the mid 2nd who wants to grab that last T or DL before the drop off in talent it could be worth a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. If it's a team in the late 2nd then I would assume nothing less then a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year if they are considered a playoff team. If they are a non perennial playoff team moving up just to grb say a G, RB, WR, S and there is some depth in these areas in the 2nd then you might just get a 2nd and a couple late rounds, or a 3rd and a 2nd next year, or a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year.

So it really isn't a straight forward question truthfully

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Since the #33 is almost like 1st anyway, I'd think the Pats would demand a '12 1st and a sweetener, maybe a 4th?  The only exception is if it's a sure to be a higher 1st, which is never a guarantee (see Raiders pick this year).   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

I think a 2011 3rd rounder and a 2012 1st rounder would be the goal. Depending on the desperation of the teams involved, this could become a 2011 3rd&5th and a 2012 1st. I can't see it being much more than that.

However, turning a #89 pick in the 2009 draft into Spikes, Mesko, a 1st, a 3rd and a fifth would be a pretty darn good haul.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I'd be willing to take the Panthers 1st in 2012 straight up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd be willing to take the Panthers 1st in 2012 straight up.

Ha ha I was trying so hard not to type that!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

Optimism is glowing in here... 33 now for 2012 first rounder.. hmm??

good chance they go for 2012 second rounder and 2011 4th rounder... 

unless Im wrong, I seem to remember most picks in that range netting them similar future year picks with additional current year picks.. Not usually a 2nd for a 1st rounder thing...

and that wasnt even an option in yours... sheesh :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: If you HAD to trade for only draft picks, Whats pick # 33 worth?:
    Optimism is glowing in here... 33 now for 2012 first rounder.. hmm?? good chance they go for 2012 second rounder and 2011 4th rounder...  unless Im wrong, I seem to remember most picks in that range netting them similar future year picks with additional current year picks.. Not usually a 2nd for a 1st rounder thing... and that wasnt even an option in yours... sheesh :)
    Posted by j24m1

A 2012 2nd and a 4th? A mid 4th this year and the 40th pick is worth 33rd alone. Usually a future pick is worth 1 round less then the current years same pick with exception of early round picks being worth more. In otherwords a 2nd this year has the value of a mid to late 1st next year, a 2nd round next year is worth a 3rd this year.... and so on. This value has been shown time and time again and yet you essentially suggest that the value of the 33rd pick is a 3rd and 4th this year using that [roven system? Even with current value charts it isn't even close to the same value. You have to give the 1st pick on the second day of the draft more value then to take a mid round pick and moving back a couple picks (more then likely) in the 2nd next year

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

In Response to Re: If you HAD to trade for only draft picks, Whats pick # 33 worth?:
    I couldnt repost till now. I'm thinking that a 3rd this year and a 1st next is fair value.
    Posted by Philskiw1

How about our #33 for a 2011 2nd and TWO future first rounders ?

Lots of starry eyed optimism here ...
    You see what you started Philskiw1 ?
    And now you have the nerve to reverse course, come back down to earth and proclaime a 2012 1st and a 2011 3rd is fair ? ...Pffft . ( lol )

But seriously , you gotta love the ammo for draft discussion Mr. Belichick blesses us with every year about this time.

Also good work doing the #89 forensic work Paul K (as always ) .
    You're right - A commodity is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
      Unfortunately it's my opinion that we may be falling into the Matt Casell trade value scenario all over again. I recall gettin' all juiced up over the fact that we might be hauling in a 1st and then some ...but the reality was we ended up with just a 2nd (Chung ) .

At any rate ~ When the time comes , I think we can all agree BB will know what to do .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

No later than 3rd round, prior to compensatory pics.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This time of year, Koolaid and vodka.  (eeych!)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well Capt that pick has NEVER been shopped around all night before. And you cant trade players. With the dark cloud over free agency all its worth is draft picks so IMHO the value goes up. Where did I reverse course? I couldnt edit the poll on the thread. a 2011 3rd and a 2012 first was going to be an option. And I think thats what its worth.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

No offense meant Philskiw1 ... 

I was just tryin to point out that your poll started us down the path of dreaming of untold riches ~ and then you post a dose of reality.

Admitedly it's fun to dream big ...and I could be wrong ( hope I am ) , but I think expectin' the world for #33 is just setting ourselves up for a day II let down .

I'd be happy with a 2012 first and a 3rd  -
    Especially if BB picks a projected bad team as a partner
    ( I'd love having another team to root against this year ... 2008 - SF  ,  2009 - Tenn & Jax  , 2010 -Oak &  Car. )

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=95c3d1b935e46c35d253a114391b5531&plckUserId=95c3d1b935e46c35d253a114391b5531">
    First: 5/10/2010
    Last: 3/31/2011
    No offense meant Philskiw1 ... 

I was just tryin to point out that your poll started us down the path of dreaming of untold riches ~ and then you post a dose of reality.

Admitedly it's fun to dream big ...and I could be wrong ( hope I am ) , but I think expectin' the world for #33 is just setting ourselves up for a day II let down .

I'd be happy with a 2012 first and a 3rd  -
    Especially if BB picks a projected bad team as a partner
    ( I'd love having another team to root against this year ... 2008 - SF  ,  2009 - Tenn & Jax  , 2010 -Oak &  Car. )

No harm no foul. I feel someone is going to over pay for the pick. The best senario would be John Fox gives us denvers first next year and I dont care what else this year  lol.

Sections
Shortcuts