If you were offerred 9.5 MILLION dollars for one year of work.......????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: If you were offerred 9.5 MILLION dollars for one year of work.......????

In Response to Re: If you were offerred 9.5 MILLION dollars for one year of work.......????:
    In Response to Re: If you were offerred 9.5 MILLION dollars for one year of work.......???? : Hey Jints!  Who are the two gay guys on your avatar?? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Posted by bradleyBliss

Hahaha, I don't think Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen are gay but I see where you are going with this. Not sure why he chose that avatar, I asked him yesterday. LOL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to If you were offerred 9.5 MILLION dollars for one year of work.......????:
    what would you do.....complain?????? PLEASE......most of us are lucky to make $1 million for a lifetime of work.......PEOPLE...don't lose sight of this........
    Posted by TheMaskedAvenger

I don't get why people try and make this argument... no sh!t you'd take $9.5M to play football, any common working man would, but it holds no relevance to the topic.

Professional athletes have every right to try and maximize their earning potential, especially in a market that is willing to pay insane amounts of money.  It's no different than said common working man trying to earn more in their career/field, it's just on a much higher scale.

Who are we to dictate what is too much to pay a player or what the market should be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: If you were offerred 9.5 MILLION dollars for one year of work.......????:
    Yes they are overpaid but look at it from Wes' point of view. This is the market for wide receivers, Vincent Jackson Signed with Buccaneers (5 years, $55 million; $36 million guaranteed) Steve Johnson Re-signed with Bills (5 years, $36.25 million; $19.5 million guaranteed) Marques Colston Re-signed with Saints (5 years, $40 million; $19 million guaranteed) DeSean Jackson Re-signed with Eagles (5 years, $51 million, $18 million guaranteed)
    Posted by digger0862

V. Jackson's number is the funniest, I can't fathom that at all. Colston and DeSean are the two best receivers on that short list. Football team's are built from the inside out, never over pay for a receiver...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

One bad step and WW's career could be over, he doesn't want to play with a one year contract regardless of money. He doesn't owe NE anything, get the most you can. No hard feelings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

One bad step and WW's career could be over, he doesn't want to play with a one year contract regardless of money. He doesn't owe NE anything, get the most you can. No hard feelings.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

Not a troll here...just my opinion. But you all make valid points.......be nice to get 9.5 million for a years work (I wouldn't complain though)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Yes they are overpaid but look at it from Wes' point of view. This is the market for wide receivers, Vincent Jackson Signed with Buccaneers (5 years, $55 million; $36 million guaranteed) Steve Johnson Re-signed with Bills (5 years, $36.25 million; $19.5 million guaranteed) Marques Colston Re-signed with Saints (5 years, $40 million; $19 million guaranteed) DeSean Jackson Re-signed with Eagles (5 years, $51 million, $18 million guaranteed)
    Posted by digger0862

Right but take it further and realize the life of an NFL player is under 5 yrs. That Wes almost had his career end two years ago.
    You can not compare a normal person's salary to any professional athlete's.

There is a major difference between a an
    engineer or any regular job and a football player.
    An EE can be fat, sit in an office and probably put in about 6.5 hrs actual work on any day and get paid good money. He/she may also not be the best in the office yet if he just does the minimum he can work until he is 70 at the same job.
    The football player needs to stay in shape all year, has the threat of injury every day, has a non guaranteed contract with a career that can end at any moment. Then most times has to start a new life at the age of 33.

BTW we all say he got 9.5 million like all of that goes in his bank account.
    After MA state taxes and Fed Taxes he walks away with maybe 5.5 million.

Yeah as an engineer I'd take it but for what I do 9.5 or even 5.5 is way too much

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The NFL and the $ they make are not the real world

if you sat in a cubicle next to a guy for 5 years and you both made the same money (say 40-60k per year) and you outproduced, outworked and made more money for your company than that guy by FAR... but he was taller, a few years younger, more personable than you, whatever.....and then when it came time for promotions/bonuses/new contracts... and he got a 5 year pact worth $750,000 and you were offered 1 year at $125,000... wouldn't you be upset???

That's like Wes and the contracts he and other WR's like Jackson/Colston made over the past 5 years... when Welker produced the most by FAR... compared with the big new deals they got (5/50) to the 1 year franchise he got.

Wes isn't comparing his 9.5 million to what the average Joe makes, DUH.... he compares it to what his contemporaries in his profession/position make...and compared to them he is getting hosed BIG TIME

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I know I'll catch flack for this, but the NFL is an elite. They are better at football than you are at anything. Take the top 3 managers at Fortune 500 companies. Who will make more over the lifespan of their career  a football player or a top 3 executive with a Fortune 500 company. Executive.....easily. The  career span is longer and intelligence trumps (so to speak) athleticism . A Harvard Law Degree will always beat a USC QB in lifetime earning potential. The point is the players are in it for the money so they can set their families up long term and I can't fault for that because that fake degree they got from THE Ohio State University is not going to help them as much as being an elite football player for 4-8 years will.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Laz honey the gobal elites want most people to be dumb and happy.I remember when Bush had Collin Powell uncle tom at the UN and have the average person in the US think Saddam,Iraq had anything to do with 9-11.I mean if the average person cant see thru that BS the only hope is a mission to Mars.Just grab two brunettes,one blonde and a midget to help fix things.Just have him nutered first.Maybe a couple dogs and just think you get to write your own BIBLE!
    Posted by sod11

Now Sod, Myself as of course everyone knows quite well, being the embodiment of practical down to earth reality at all times, Has noticed a pretty major omission from your voyage to Mars Expedition & subsequent cargo list...

Haha, No, no, nooo- Not the Rocket to get there, the fuel, nor even the oxygen or food...Man, there's Walmart's all up down Florida, I just figured we'd boost all the gear outside Kennedy before we jack some Shuttle last minute on the final few ticks of countdown (Gas is even easier btw- We'll coast most of the way after we sling shot the moon, and when it gets near "E", we'd probably only need 1 full tank from some Exxon Space Mobile Rocket Fuel station off the I...pump and run man, pump & run- <which also happens to be a great college fraternity mantra I learned back in the day />).

But No...none'a that.  I'm talkin' 'bout certain high-tech hydroponic seed pods that will be ABSOLUTELY critical to overall mission success here...heat lamps, the whole 9 yards.  On this we'll spare no expense, even if we have to sell off some parts of the spaceship and inevitably replace it with various forms of recycled cardboard & broken bits of styrofoam. 

Oh, OH!!!  Lesssss graaaavity, right?  Am I right, I honestly don't know?  Hold up- <index finger /> "My" <middle finger /> "Very" <ring finger /> something with an "E"..."Early"? (Ugh, stvp#d acronym just goes on for-EVER- Honestly, how many planets ARE there, like a Hundred!?! He!! if I know...Anyway thank god this one's Earth, or the mission would be scrapped right here & now) <pinky finger /> "Mother"...(then a buncha other stuff; I think "Just" is "Jupiter", idk I'll leave most'a this super hi-tech stuff up to the scientists...).  Anyway, yea- I guess He's the rock after us, so that probably means less gravity (btw-somehow the Sun is involved somewhere in this calculation).  Lesssss gravityyyyyy!?!  That WILL Be pretty sweet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Welker should be paid around 10 million and for 4 years, but he's just not going to get that here.   The flaw with this (from his perspective) is BB seeking him out for a 2nd and 7th and using that to time him down to a contract they knew he would over-produce on.    Welker over-produced and now wants a retroactive type contract for that.  Understandable, but it's not happening. Welker is a victim of his own over-achievement and the great players he plays around here.  If there was no cap, I am sure Kraft would have no problem giving him 10 mil per year, knowing Welker has helped build the successes of this era's franchise and he'll likely have 2 or 3 really nice seasons left in him. I bet they offered him 3 years and lowered the money a bit and that's why he's complaining.  Welker thinks he can play for 7 more years, probably, and it's just unlikely.  Gronk's situation is a problem for him, as is Hernandez's. If you pay Welker 10 mil per, what will you then pay Hernandez? I am not even saying Hernandez is on Welker's level, but as an H Back, Hernande is essentially a slot WR. Sadly, it may make a ton of sensse to deal Welker to an NFC team for a 1st rd pick.  I suppose they could just deal with the tag this year, tag him next year and then trade him away then, too. Either way, he doesn't have any leverage. You can't pay Brady 20 mi per, Mankins 9 per, Wiflork his money, etc, when prior to 2010 all those guys I just listed were getting a 1/3 of that in salary in the same cap ceiling we see right now.   It just doesn't make sense and it's partly why BB has had to be so careful in these recent drafts and how he's spread out the FA money, hitting on some nice additions. Our trolls here mock it, some Pats fans mock it, but it's simply incredible how he's able to do it.  Incredible. You can't pay everybody and the for the ones who think our offense is not to have any accountability for performance when it counts, look no further than NE's top 2 earners on offense (Brady and Mankins). Then, think about how that money could have gone more so to defense, the side of the ball that needed some help. Now, Welker wants to be paid top dollar.  No thanks. No offense, but no thanks. Brady and Mankins's contracts are so big, it's put a bulge into the formula.  BB put more money into the D from 2001-2007 and now he's put more money into the offense (2010-2012).  So far, it has not worked, but he has a chance to bounce back with his recenct nice drafts and apparent nice FA moves on D. ,
    Posted by BassFishingII

You seem to be one of the only posters that understands the Cap system and appreciates how BB manages it.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I am in the 1% according to the tax code, don't see it though. Still drive the same car I bought over 10 years ago. Living in NYC is just too expensive, the taxes get you so making over 9 million is a nice paycheck but he'll pay the gov't most of it. So while he shouldn't complain because most people can't even wrap their heads around that much money esp. For a years worth of work, I understand it is what the narket bears. I think he did himself a disservice by complaining he looks like an a¥¥hole, I think you get what you can and hope for the best, isn't that we all do.
    Posted by Chloedancer65

Yea, WhoInTH wants that 9 million dollar salary on paper, when at the end of the day ya only got 5 mil in your wallet...  Seriously, It's like- "Why give me anything at all?"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

In Response to Re: If you were offerred 9.5 MILLION dollars for one year of work.......???? : you guys dont get it...WW is not complaining about anything, just using his legal rights in a negotiation for his salary, just like the (cheap) pats are using theirs...goes on all the time and it's not "complaining" it's business as for ur rather naive opines about how much WW earns and being "satisfied" this is, as said, extremely naive as well as misguided . Comparing what a pro athlete earns compared to people working "regular" jobs is a severe case of apples and oranges. It isn't to be compared with what John Q Working Man earns but what he earns compared to comparable talents in his profession-no different than any other person who has a skill and wants the going rate or a  raise if he feels it is earned, be it laborer, doctor, accoutant or anyone else. What, an accountant making $100,000 shouldn't ask for $125,000 because joe the garbage man only makes $30,000? In what world does this apply, cause it certainly ain't this one. what our rabid overwrought and angry friend masked avenger and many of u dont get is that-hard as it is to hear this-you are a nobody compared to WW in both the eyes of society and certainly his bosses. the talent that a WW possesses is shared by what? 1% of the popultion? 2%? how many actually make it in pro sports, much less become all-pros? precious few. sorry to break it to you but anyone can get a "regular" job, be it lawer, painter, accountant, carpenter..thats why there are millions of them. what a WW, etc...do commands the money he is paid-and more if he decides he is worth it-because so few can do it and-here's the real part that exposes the average fan/masked avenger type's naivety: in our capitalist society you are not paid for your importanceor necesssity to society but for your ability to generate capital-and the more u generate the more u are worth. sorry, folks, but most people dont give a damn about ur jobs and therefore are not paying top dollar to watch you work-like WW-they dont buy a jersey with your name on it-like WW-they don't buy goodies and food and pay for parking etc to see you work-like they do WW...ie: he generates massive amounts of money for his employers; more on one sunday than all of the "working class heroes" like our misguided angry masked avenger do in months, maybe a full working year. if you dont like it, dont blame WW, etc...especially in such an obvious, whiny and naive way like Masked Avenger-blame the system in place. oh, and stop being a pats/football fan, dont watch, dont buy any paraphenalia, dont go to the games, dont park ur car, dont buy hotdogs and beer and then-and only then-will any of your miisguided venom have any validity.
    Posted by JintsFan

Im not sure what it is you're trying to say,
    but if we can define the objective ever further, Wes Welker is really worth nothing more than the so called 90% are willing to pay to be entertained.
    Welker is only as special as what Brady and Belichick and the Patriot system have made him out to be, on any other team he was mediorce at best.

As for your statement, "So few can do it", that is very far from the truth.
    There are thousands that play football that can and do. Again, if not for Belichicks system and Brady throwing to him his name is common place.

2006Miami Dolphins166768710.342.938190330

2005Miami Dolphins162943415.027.147062200

2004Miami Dolphins14------0.0------------

2004San Diego Chargers1------0.0------------

One other thought of employment conjecture.
    No one, and I mean NO one has to settle for either minium wage, or low wage earnings in this day and age.
    I hear and read it so often that everyone is restrained due to the markets of employment as to what they are being paid and they have no alternative.

If any of you out here had 15k to invest, I could take you and within 3 months triple your investment, with you doing the work. No not stocks, not investments, but honest simple actual work that you would enjoy and be amazed at how simple it really is.
    Unfortunately we are all taught the old slave-way method of employment, where you serve your employer and do your specific duties for moderate pay then go home.
    Anyway Im off track here.... Yell

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

welker has worked hard and earned more than his share.  nogs who don't work don't deserve a penny.  from me.  from wes.  from anyone.  communist post if i've ever seen one.  don't lose sight that he catches more balls than any other player therefore he has an argument to make more. 

that said.  i'd rather replace him than pay him.  hope he makes the money he's looking for just not at the patriots expense.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

Well the purpose of him wanting more is to secure his future and for me, MY future would be very secure with 9.5 million. So its easy, I play, get paid and can still play for another team after that or I can retire and enjoy the rest of my life! Must be nice!
    Posted by patsfan76

one would think, but apparently not.........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

A Harvard Law Degree will always beat a USC QB in lifetime earning potential.

Well you are talking about the University of Spoiled Childern now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Did I miss something, did Welker ever complain about getting $9.5mil? Actually I think he said he was perfectly fine playing under the tag and signed it to be part of mini-camp. He can be disappointed with long term negotiations and still be happy to make $9.5mil, they aren't exclusively linked together you know.

I mean if I had his talent and ability I would want to get every last penny I could, actually I do in my own field. I negotiate my signing bonus, salary, and max yearly bonus based on performance and how the company is doing. That's what happens when you get towards to top of your field, you can negotiate these things and don't have to take the first thing they offer. He has earned that right and to his credit he's willing to play with the tag even without a long term contract and participate in all the camps.

As far as working for 1 year for $9.5mil, even if it risked my life and happiness I would do it to secure the future of (hopefully) my kids (when I have them). And, if I had the potential to earn more then just the $9.5mil over the 1 yr period I would do that too to ensure their future.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I'd turn it down flat. 

I want to be CEO for United Health Group.  Pulled down a cool $102M last year in salary alone and no one was trying to decapitate him every time he carried something in his arms.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/12/ceo-compensation-11_land.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'd turn it down flat.  I want to be CEO for United Health Group.  Pulled down a cool $102M last year in salary alone and no one was trying to decapitate him every time he carried something in his arms. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/12/ceo-compensation-11_land.html
    Posted by nyjoseph

Private health care is a wonderful thing.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

you have the choice to not pay that health care guys salary.  The gov forced healthcare is still a FOR PROFIT scam that WILL GO BANKCRUPT just like every other GOV RAN HOAX.  Dems love blaming reps for "getting rid" of stuff that's already getting rid of itself.  Stupid

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

you have the choice to not pay that health care guys salary.  The gov forced healthcare is still a FOR PROFIT scam that WILL GO BANKCRUPT just like every other GOV RAN HOAX.  Dems love blaming reps for "getting rid" of stuff that's already getting rid of itself.  Stupid
    Posted by getdrunkstupit

You rarely see this basement level of education forwarded on any pressing & serious subject...  The correct response should neither be argumentative nor explanatory.  Just sit back in impressive reverence...we should ALL someday pray to be this drvnk & stvp#d.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

In response to "Re: If you were offerred 9.5 MILLION dollars for one year of work.......????":
    Yes they are overpaid but look at it from Wes' point of view. This is the market for wide receivers, Vincent Jackson Signed with Buccaneers (5 years, $55 million; $36 million guaranteed) Steve Johnson Re-signed with Bills (5 years, $36.25 million; $19.5 million guaranteed) Marques Colston Re-signed with Saints (5 years, $40 million; $19 million guaranteed) DeSean Jackson Re-signed with Eagles (5 years, $51 million, $18 million guaranteed) Posted by digger0862
    I disagree that one has to look at it from Wes Welker's point of view. I decided to go to the WalterFootball.com website to see how the Patriot's free agency status looked like. Please go to the below site if you are interested in seeing why the Patriot's have the leverage. The Patriots also need to be fiscally responsible if they intend on signing Gronkowksi and Hernandez. http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractsne.php

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I disagree that one has to look at it from Wes Welker's point of view. I decided to go to the WalterFootball.com website to see how the Patriot's free agency status looked like. Please go to the below site if you are interested in seeing why the Patriot's have the leverage. The Patriots also need to be fiscally responsible if they intend on signing Gronkowksi and Hernandez. http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractsne.php
    Posted by PatsGnome

I agree with you. The Patriots have to build a team under salary cap restrictions.

I only posted that to show why Wes has a right to seek a big contract. He has been the most productive receiver in the NFL for the last five years. He deserves big money. He's not going to get it as a Patriot, though, and I think(hope) he knows that.

Sections
Shortcuts