If you were the Commish...What changes would you make to the league?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

If you were the Commish...What changes would you make to the league?

With all this talk of "changes"...

Divisional Re-Alignment (Makes more sense from a geographical stand point)

AFC                                NFC

North:                             North:
    Steelers                           Packers
    Colts                               Vikings
    Bengals                            Bears
    Browns                             Lions

South:                             South:
    Dolphins                           Cowboys
    Jaguars                            Saints
    Titans                              Falcons
    Texans                             Buccaneers

East:                               East:
    Patriots                            Eagles
    Jets                                 Redskins
    Bills                                  Panthers
    Ravens                             Giants

West:                              West:
    Chargers                           Seahawks
    Broncos                            49ERS
    Raiders                             Rams
    Chiefs                               Cardinals

*Thursday Night Opener - Rematch of the Superbowl winners Conference game
    *Week 15, 16 & 17 will all be divisional games (for obvious reasons)

Just a few ideas...What changes would the rest of you Pats/NFL fans make?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: If you were the Commish...What changes would you make to the league?

Not even on the radar.  He's got his hands full enough with the CBA and a possible 18 game season.  It is interesting, though, but, your alignment breaks up some key divisional rivalries that are very appealing currently:  Pit-Bal; NE-Mia; NYG-Dal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

get rid of illegal contact and make WR's actually work to get open

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Commish...What changes would you make to the league?:
    [QUOTE]get rid of illegal contact and make WR's actually work to get open
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]
    I second the motion, shouldn't holding and pass interference cover the contact?  Why make a special rule just for receivers.  Quit making playing defense a penalty. 

Make Pass interference reviewable so I can stop watching teams get free TD's in big games because of a bad call.  Don't fine people for legal hits, don't make every hit illegal, and generally quit trying to turn the NFL into the NBA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Rotate members of the competition committee out every three years. Get rid of the longest standing first, Na-Polian  then many of your suggestions will be taken care of.

I love the north realignment, it would be great to see Manning actually have to work to get to the play offs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Commish...What changes would you make to the league?:
    [QUOTE]Rotate members of the competition committee out every three years. Get rid of the longest standing first, Na-Polian  then many of your suggestions will be taken care of. I love the north realignment, it would be great to see Manning actually have to work to get to the play offs.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that also...The Colts have a vanilla like division.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]Not even on the radar.  He's got his hands full enough with the CBA and a possible 18 game season.  It is interesting, though, but, your alignment breaks up some key divisional rivalries that are very appealing currently:  Pit-Bal; NE-Mia; NYG-Dal. 
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but think of the new rivalries that would be created:
    Pats/Ravens
    Dolphins/Jags
    Cowboys/Saints

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

I'd relax the rules regarding contact between the DB and WR. You can't touch the QB and now you can't touch the WR. It's ruining the game of football. How do you play defense in the NFL? Peyton Manning has made a living off of throwing the ball forty yards and waiting for the Refs to throw the pass interference flag. You take  that away from Manning and you've taken away his best play! DBs need to be able to play more physical with the WRs. The NFL rigged the game! They wanted more scoring! It really hurt the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

stop letting the colts change the rules to fit their team

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Take Competition Committee membership away from active employees of current NFL teams. That would be a good start. That way, guys like Polian (and, years before him, Don Shula) couldn't push for rules changes that would benefit their particular team.

There is no reason for this.

Since most of the Competition Committee's business deals with on-the-field rules, how about putting current or former officials, or a mix of both, on the committee?

That would eliminate the obvious conflict of interest that guys like Polian bring to the table with them at every Competition Committee meeting.

I would also make defensive pass interference a 15-yard penalty OR a spot-foul penalty, depending on the severity. Too many "ticky-tack" P.I. calls result in 50+ yard gains for the offense. Those types of calls would be 15 yards and at least give the defense a chance to recover. The obvious stuff, like a defender wrapping up a receiver before the ball gets there, would still be spot-fouls.

And, like others have said here, I would allow DBs to be more physical with WRs. It's just ridiculous right now. Playing WR should require a skill set beyond just running fast and having moves. A WR should be a football player, too, and being a football player means being able to deal with a little physicality and contact, and being able to free one's self from it.

Lastly, enough with the ticky-tack roughing-the-passer calls. As a Pats fan, even I'm willing to admit that Brady draws flags on "hits" that are no more than love taps sometimes.

I agree that going low deliberately, or deliberately headhunting needs to be discouraged; but just shoving the QB to the ground a half-second after the QB releases the ball? Nope, that's not a penalty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm with the rules committee change for sure.  Jeff Fisher for one.  Polian for another.  I'd rather the committee were bigger, that would neutralize some of the political stuff that put one team at an advantage.  Also, no rule changed for at least a year once decided on, unless at least a quarter of teams complain about it.  The Colts complaining about a rule and getting it changed is flat out silly.  Unreal.  I like the realignment, also.  I would rather have the Colts back in the division, though.  But the way OP had it makes the most sense.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]get rid of illegal contact and make WR's actually work to get open
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]

I am so glad a Dolphin fan actually chimed in to say this ... this is rule change number one. Take away the cheap penalty for big yardage. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Simply swapping the Ravens for the Colts would probably be the best. There really aren't any rivalries to worry about upsetting, because the Ravens are a new team. It just makes more sense.

I think it gets tricky moving teams like the Cowboys because of long standing rivalries. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hess--Jets. Show Hess--Jets's posts

If I were the Commissioner I would make it mandatory for a teams starting QB to be present during the teams off season training program.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Rotate members of the competition committee out every three years. Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

good idea term limits, just like we need in congress.

i like the divisin they way they are.

i would add some more teams:

orlando, oklahoma city, san antonio, los angeles

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]Simply swapping the Ravens for the Colts would probably be the best. There really aren't any rivalries to worry about upsetting, because the Ravens are a new team. It just makes more sense. I think it gets tricky moving teams like the Cowboys because of long standing rivalries. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you are referring to the Redskins/Cowboys rivalry. You may be right but I think that rivalry has been dead for quite sometime now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]Rookie Salary Cap. I know it's more of a CBA issue, but to me it is the biggest flaw the league currently has.
    Posted by mikec645[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%