If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....

Get soem linebackers, cornerbacks, safties. and a couple big WRs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If we stay playing the 43 I'd like to see them draft a true 43 type of defensive tackle, someone they could plug in next to Wilfork and could take advantage of the attention he gets. You got to think 43 type of players might be available with all the teams that have made the transition to the 34 and are still looking for players to play it. I thought Pryor and Hanesworth were going to be that type of player for us, I've closed the book on Pryor...this guy has beed nothing but one injury after the other. Obviously Wright is another guy that must be moved on from, and I thought he would of made a heck of a 43 type of player.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....:
    If we stay playing the 43 I'd like to see them draft a true 43 type of defensive tackle, someone they could plug in next to Wilfork and could take advantage of the attention he gets. You got to think 43 type of players might be available with all the teams that have made the transition to the 34 and are still looking for players to play it. I thought Pryor and Hanesworth were going to be that type of player for us, I've closed the book on Pryor...this guy has beed nothing but one injury after the other. Obviously Wright is another guy that must be moved on from, and I thought he would of made a heck of a 43 type of player.  
    Posted by mthurl

Devon Still or Brandon Thompson then

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

All great posts guys. I had chimed in on the draft board about potentially not resigning Welker, but instead using the money elsewhere. Actually taking that money and go getting a top defensive fA. My idea like some is simple. Hernandez becomes the new slot wr, with vereen and Edelman filling in. We draft another big TE in Fleener who can catch and block, then go get a big wr in Jeff fuller from a&m who is 6'4", 215. Hern is big enough to create separation at 245lbs, Fleener is another pass catching and good blocking TE, and Fuller is a physical WR that can stretch the field and is also a willing blocker. I know some may view my opinion of noy signing Wes as blashempy, but I feel like this is the direction we are headed. On to FA...use money saved on Wes plus other funds and bring in veteran Cb like Mathis, finnegan, etc. I also like going to get a FA LB if possible. Give me a4-3 speedy LB...Need to do some research on who will be available...someone in the 3-5 mil per year area In the draft it's simple for me... DE Vin Curry to play opposite Carter ...round 1 S Robert Lester to play next to Chung....round 2 TE Cob Fleener opposite Gronk...round 2 WR Fuller....round 3 DT Billy Winn next to Wilfork....round 1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

They definitely need safety depth.

I like Chung a lot, but the other spot next to him--depending on who's healthy that week--is a concern.

I think they're OK at CB as long as Dowling, Arrington and McCourty are healthy (I know McCourty's not having a very good year but we really don't know what might be going on with him--I still think the odds are in his favor to be a top-tier NFL corner going forward).

If they remain a 4-3 defense then their LBs are OK for the most part, though they could use help at OLB. I think Mayo can and will grow into being a very good ILB in a 4-3.

I agree with adding a monster DT to pair with Wilfork inside. Getting an inside push from a 4-3 sets up the DEs to rush the passer much easier (re-signing Carter and Anderson would be a good idea, too).

As for WRs....I don't think Welker is going anywhere. He's too important to what they try to do offensively and Brady would really miss him, big time.

As for the outside guys, they need to re-stock there, for sure, but with the plethora of FA wide receivers available, they may be able to bring in some established veterans for a reasonable price given that there will be a saturated market.

In the draft I think safety, interior offensive line, linebacker and interior defensive line should be their priority areas (WR can be handled via free agency).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

All great posts guys. I had chimed in on the draft board about potentially not resigning Welker, but instead using the money elsewhere. Actually taking that money and go getting a top defensive fA. My idea like some is simple. Hernandez becomes the new slot wr, with vereen and Edelman filling in. We draft another big TE in Fleener who can catch and block, then go get a big wr in Jeff fuller from a&m who is 6'4", 215. Hern is big enough to create separation at 245lbs, Fleener is another pass catching and good blocking TE, and Fuller is a physical WR that can stretch the field and is also a willing blocker. I know some may view my opinion of noy signing Wes as blashempy, but I feel like this is the direction we are headed. On to FA...use money saved on Wes plus other funds and bring in veteran Cb like Mathis, finnegan, etc. I also like going to get a FA LB if possible. Give me a4-3 speedy LB...Need to do some research on who will be available...someone in the 3-5 mil per year area In the draft it's simple for me... DE Vin Curry to play opposite Carter ...round 1 S Robert Lester to play next to Chung....round 2 TE Cob Fleener opposite Gronk...round 2 WR Fuller....round 3 DT Billy Winn next to Wilfork....round 1
    Posted by PatsLifer

lifer,
    with you till the end. our picks in rd 1 are too low for winn, curry and i dont think lester makes it to us in rd 2.

so what do you do if you are gm?

do you move up to get all three.

youve seen those players are in my grouping (though mb turned ne onto winn)

lester was the first player i put on my pats list.

you may also have seen my resolving to pick up as much as possible to fill ALL needs in fa. so the draft is about getting the best game changers within our reach, being wiling to trade up throughout the draft, including trading picks from next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : The point trying to be made was that there are 4-5 very good centers in this draft and you could pluck 3-4 of them in the 2nd rd and 1-2 could even make it to rd 3 or 4.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE

thanks rame for catching that. good looking out...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Interesting Post by shizzle..

I would first look in the draft (young playmaker) at DE like a Feeny or Wake. Then the best tall and speedy WR available with no injury history. Then the best available Center (young). Then go to FA and shore up The D'backs.

Have a great Game day ....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... :
    In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : The point trying to be made was that there are 4-5 very good centers in this draft and you could pluck 3-4 of them in the 2nd rd and 1-2 could even make it to rd 3 or 4. Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE thanks rame for catching that. good looking out...
    Posted by brdbreu

Yeah I'd think one of Brewster and Konz will be there with our Raiders pick in round 2.

Ben Jones will probably be there and may even last till the early 3rd round. He is my favorite of the C's. Mean streak, not too tall, fast and mobile in the run game but still a 315lb force in pass-protection. If we address other needs in rd 2 and he is lingering in that 70-80 range, I'd trade a future 2nd rd pick and our 4th rd pick for him in a heartbeat.

William Vlachos will be in that same range but is a little too small for my liking.

In the 3rd rd we should be able to get Ben Habern, his broken arm should make him fall a bit but as many people here noted the offense in Oklahoma really struggled w/o him. He's a little small as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In the draft it's simple for me...
    DE Vin Curry ...........round 1
    trade down for a 2nd this year and a 1st next year ....round one
    C mike brewster.......round 2
    TE Cob Fleener opposite Gronk...round 2
    Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama .... round 2

sign laron Landry, manny lawson, royal in FA
    resign carter, anderson, welker, guyton

add another gronkesque TE and move hernandez to WR and beef up the lines with studs like curry and brewster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Get Ghost's replacement

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i wasn't aware ghost was leaving?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

i wasn't aware ghost was leaving?
    Posted by natesubs

If I were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....He would be. 

You really didn't get that or was that some kinda shot? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : Well I just showed the stats of the D-lineman available with our second 1st rd pick last year and they are not exactly tearing it up. Muhammad and Corey Liuget have 3-4 DE size but are not doing much. Warren and Love have outplyaed them. Same w/ Jordan and Heyward who are 285lb 4-3 DE's. Anderson and Carter have far outplayed them. Who would you have picked? I would have traded both picks up for Watt. Would you have passed on Solder for Clayborn or Phil Taylor? Then what picked Gabe Carimi or Sherrod later in rd 1 to take over for Light one day? Taylor is a monster but would he and Vince be too big to pair together? Clayborn is a solid DE, the type I'd think we cna get this year in Still, worthy or Winn. Guys who could be better than Muhammad and Liuget.
    Posted by rameakap

28 and 33 (and maybe a late rounder) to Houston would have landed either Watt and Solder or Kerrigan and Solder a bit later. That would have looked a lot better than Glass I Dowling and a pick next year that we all know will never be used.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

I would do what ever it takes to sign Mario Williams!  Then, have a great draft and fill in the blanks in free agency. 

Mario Williams can play both 3/4 or 4/3 and would instantly make our DB's better.  Imagine Carter and mario Williams as out bookends! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : 28 and 33 (and maybe a late rounder) to Houston would have landed either Watt and Solder or Kerrigan and Solder a bit later. That would have looked a lot better than Glass I Dowling and a pick next year that we all know will never be used.
    Posted by sml1210

yessir

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I would do what ever it takes to sign Mario Williams!  Then, have a great draft and fill in the blanks in free agency.  Mario Williams can play both 3/4 or 4/3 and would instantly make our DB's better.  Imagine Carter and mario Williams as out bookends! 
    Posted by deluxbury

People keep mentioning dropping 60-80 million on a guy who will likely be franchised... not sure they get the low % of this happening

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yeah, I don't think Mario Williams is going anywhere. He's important to that defense. However, they have been playing pretty well without him. There is this kid named Connor Barwin that racked up like 4 sacks yesterday...have you heard of him?....LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Yeah, I don't think Mario Williams is going anywhere. He's important to that defense. However, they have been playing pretty well without him. There is this kid named Connor Barwin that racked up like 4 sacks yesterday...have you heard of him?....LOL
    Posted by PatsLifer

yeah i've heard of him, i had him in all of my mocks when he was drafted.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Lorenzo booker RB, Minn UFA

Mario Williams DE, Texans UFA

Cortland Finnegan CB

Gary Guyton, LB, NE

Wes Welker WR, NE

1st round pick (new orleans)

Vinny Curry, DE/OLB, Marshall
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 263.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.66.
    Projected Round (2012): 1-2.

11/11/11: Thus far in 2011, Curry has 53 tackles with 18 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks, two blocked kicks and six forced fumbles. He had a three sack game against Southern Mississippi. Curry has added weight from the 2010 season, roughly 10 pounds, and he still looks fast and explosive. Curry has had to battle consistent extra blocking this season. Right now, his consistency from 2010 to 2011 has him moving into the first round. He looks like an ideal fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

8/21/11: Vinny Curry is an explosive athlete who had a dominant junior season. He was one of the best pass rushers in college football last year with 12 sacks. Curry also had 18 tackles for a loss and 94 tackles. At his size and weight, he should translate well as an edge rusher in a 3-4 defense. Curry is very fast with fabulous closing speed. He plays better in space. However, Curry does not have the size and strength to hold up against offensive linemen when lining up with his hand in the ground as a base end. Some teams were able to run right at him. He typically uses his speed to run around offensive linemen, and that opens up his gap on run downs. Thus, Curry would be a much better fit for a 3-4 defense.

1st round pick (ours)

Dont'a Hightower*, ILB, Alabama
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 260.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.85.
    Projected Round (2011): 1-2

11/18/11: Hightower is having a fine season for Alabama. He has been a tough, in-the-box defender and has increased his splash plays. Hightower has shown the ability to be a dangerous blitzer as well. He has 66 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, three sacks, one interception and three passes batted away in nine games this season. Hightower played well against LSU and has had big games against other SEC opponents.

8/25/11: Dont'a Hightower is a physical, in-the-box defender. He takes on and beats offensive linemen regularly without difficulty. The intelligent Hightower is the signal caller for the Crimson Tide defense, a complex collegiate scheme. A season-ending knee injury cost Hightower the majority of the 2009 season. He came back last year to record 69 tackles with 3.5 tackles for a loss. Hightower should be more productive in 2011 as he gets further away from the injury. He has looked slow at times, especially early in the year, and did not look as fluid as he did before the injury. Hightower looks like he would have to be a 3-4 inside linebacker in the NFL. He does not have the range to be a 4-3 middle linebacker that can get to runs on the perimeter.

2nd round pick (traded for hoyer)

Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 293.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.08.
    Projected Round (2012): 1-2

9/10/11: Brewster had a strong start to the season as Ohio State rolled Akron. The Buckeyes ran for 224 yards and won 42-0. Brewster will see a strong test from Marcus Forston and Miami in the third game of the season.

8/20/11: Mike Brewster enters his senior year as the top center in the nation. He started as a freshman and has been a standout for the Buckeyes ever since. Brewster will be challenged with the turmoil at Ohio State. He will have to quickly get in tune with a new quarterback to take his snaps, and offensive tackle Mike Adams will be suspended for the first five games. Thus, some new challenges are in store for Brewster, but nothing that should hurt his draft stock. Brewster is an excellent run blocker and pass protector. He looks like the next center that is likely to crack the top 25.

2nd round pick (oakland)

Traded for a 1st next season and a 5th this season

2nd round pick

Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 188.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
    Projected Round (2011): 2-3.

9/27/11: Jenkins has returned nine punts for 163 yards (18.1 average) with a touchdown return and a long return of 87 yards. He does not have an interception, but has returned a fumble 49 yards for a touchdown. Jenkins has 27 tackles with three passes broken up. His draft stock is dependent on him staying out of legal trouble and interviewing well with teams in the months prior to the draft.

8/25/11: Janoris Jenkins does not have great size, but he has a top-15 skill set as a cover corner. The only reason why he's ranked here is because of a few arrests for smoking pot that got him kicked out of Florida. If Jenkins had stayed out of trouble, he easily would have been a high first-round pick. He was a starter as a true freshman in 2008 when the Gators won the National Championship. Jenkins recorded three interceptions in 2010 to go along with 44 tackles and eight passes defensed. He is fast with great feet and athleticism. Jenkins can flip his hips and run with speed receivers. Even though under six-foot, he had success going against the best big receivers he saw in the SEC.

Jenkins held South Carolina's Alshon Jeffrey to six receptions for 53 yards and no scores last season, after Jeffrey notched six catches for 57 yards in their first battle. Georgia's A.J. Green had four catches for 42 yards and a score in last year's game. In three years of playing Jenkins, Green never had a 100-yard game.

3rd round pick

(trade back into later in the round and pick up a 7th round pick)

Kenny Tate, SS/LB, Maryland
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.64.
    Projected Round (2012): 3-4.

10/1/11: Tate started out the season well with 11 tackles and an interception against Miami. He has totaled 26 tackles with a forced fumble, interception, and tackle for a loss this season. It could be a tough decision whether to have Tate gain weight and stay at linebacker, or drop weight to go back to safety.

8/26/11: Kenny Tate would probably be best used as a safety at the NFL level, even though he is going to play linebacker for Maryland this season. Last year, he had 100 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, three interceptions and four forced fumbles. Tate is a safety/linebacker tweener who should probably trim down and play safety as a pro. Bigger safeties are no longer prominent in the NFL.

Gives BB his safety LB hybrid

4th round pick (ours)

Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 271.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
    Projected Round (2012): 3-4.

9/23/11: Bequette started the season with three tackles and got two .5 sacks against Missouri State. He injured his hamstring and missed the third game against Troy. Bequette's return is unknown.

8/21/11: In 2010, Jake Bequette had seven sacks with 32 tackles and 8.5 tackles for a loss. Bequette enters his senior year with 13.5 sacks over 32 starts. He has already finished his bachelor's degree and is getting a master's. Bequette's intelligence and character will appeal to teams during the interview process. If Bequette adds weight, he could be a five technique in a 3-4, otherwise he looks like a left end in a 4-3 defense.

5th round (from trade)

Jake Stoneburner, TE, Ohio State
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 245.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
    Projected Round (2012): 5-6.

11/4/11: Stoneburner has 12 receptions for 150 yards and six touchdowns thus far in 2011. He had three touchdowns in the first game against Akron. Stoneburner could be even more productive if Ohio State had consistency at quarterback.

8/19/11: Jake Stoneburner caught 21 passes for 222 yards and two touchdowns last season. The junior is a good inline blocker and also can contribute as a receiver. Given the turmoil around Ohio State, it is difficult to project how Stoneburner's production is going to be affected in 2011.

7th round pick (from trade down)

Derek Moye, WR, Penn State
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 198.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
    Projected Round (2012): 6-FA.

9/14/11: Moye was fairly quiet against Alabama and their NFL-laden secondary. He caught three passes for 51 yards. For the season, he has seven receptions for 108 yards.

8/19/11: Derek Moye is huge receiver who has led Penn State in receiving the past two years. Last year, he caught 53 balls for 885 yards and eight scores. A year earlier, he had 48 receptions for 785 yards and six touchdowns. Moye finished the year with a quality game against Florida, but Moye has only three 100 yard games over the past two seasons.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

hey nate,
     i dont see hightower, curry or jenkins available at those picks. (cant argue with those selections!)

oh and i dont want guyton

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

In the draft it's simple for me...
    DE Vin Curry ...........round 1
    trade down for a 2nd this year and a 1st next year ....round one
    C mike brewster.......round 2
    TE Cob Fleener opposite Gronk...round 2
    Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama .... round 2

sign laron Landry, manny lawson, royal in FA
    resign carter, anderson, welker, guyton

add another gronkesque TE and move hernandez to WR and beef up the lines with studs like curry and brewster.

think we can do with a lower round center
    fa fs, wr and lawson/roth
    no guyton for me.
    will take a blocking/receiving te for sure

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : Yeah I'd think one of Brewster and Konz will be there with our Raiders pick in round 2. Ben Jones will probably be there and may even last till the early 3rd round. He is my favorite of the C's. Mean streak, not too tall, fast and mobile in the run game but still a 315lb force in pass-protection. If we address other needs in rd 2 and he is lingering in that 70-80 range, I'd trade a future 2nd rd pick and our 4th rd pick for him in a heartbeat. William Vlachos will be in that same range but is a little too small for my liking. In the 3rd rd we should be able to get Ben Habern, his broken arm should make him fall a bit but as many people here noted the offense in Oklahoma really struggled w/o him. He's a little small as well.
    Posted by rameakap

thanks rame. there seems a lot of consensus around jones

Sections
Shortcuts