If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....:
    safety- LaRon Landry/Michael Griffin WR- eddie royal, welker, branch LB- mario williams, guyton, manny lawson DE- matt roth (this position will be filled mostly through the draft i believe) i think we should spend the big money and go after mario williams assuming he isn't tagged.  if we resign carter and anderson and pick up a great pass rushing OLB our pass rush will be fixed.  mario williams would be worth the 6-7 mil per year. that money could be made by cutting ocho and the money that would have went to haynesworth.  with manny lawson/matt roth/mario williams and mayo at OLB with carter/anderson/rookie (upshaw) at DE and wilfork/brace/love at DT spikes/mayo/fletcher/hightower? at ILB our lines would be pretty good
    Posted by natesubs

love the names but we don't have the cash for all those guys.

Mario will be tagged, I am 99% sure of that... but he is a Peppers talent that will command 5-7 years 70-85 million if he wasn't.

I think Goldson or Godfrey will be better with Chung than Landry, a gimpy SS who will cost more... but you still have to spend 3-5 million a year on one of them.

Roth, Lawson and Royal will all cost in the 3-5 range as well.

If we keep the guys we want to keep (Carter, Welker, BJGE, Arrington) we'd have the room to just get those 4 guys and call it an offseason as far as free agency.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If we went and drafted Hightower, Zach Brown or Te'o in rd 1 along with a big DE/DT type (Still, Worthy, Winn, Thompson) with those additions we'd have a pretty nasty front 7.

In a 3-4:

Still (my fav DE/DT) - Wilfork - Love/Warren/Brace

Ninkovich - Mayo/Guyton - Hightower(my fav LB)/Spikes - Lawson

In a 4-3:

Carter (Cunningham) - Wilfork/Warren - Still/Love/Brace - Anderson/Roth

Lawson/Nink  - Mayo/Spikes - Hightower/Guyton

The addition of Goldon/Godfrey will make safety an area of strength. We then use a 2nd or 3rd rd pick on a CB and with Dowling coming back hopefully we have enough there.

We also should use a 2nd and 3rd on a 6'4" WR and a C.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If we went and drafted Hightower, Zach Brown or Te'o in rd 1 along with a big DE/DT type (Still, Worthy, Winn, Thompson) with those additions we'd have a pretty nasty front 7. In a 3-4:          Still (my fav DE/DT) - Wilfork - Love/Warren/Brace Ninkovich - Mayo/Guyton - Hightower(my fav LB)/Spikes - Lawson In a 4-3: Carter (Cunningham) - Wilfork/Warren - Still/Love/Brace - Anderson/Roth                Lawson/Nink  - Mayo/Spikes - Hightower/Guyton The addition of Goldon/Godfrey will make safety an area of strength. We then use a 2nd or 3rd rd pick on a CB and with Dowling coming back hopefully we have enough there. We also should use a 2nd and 3rd on a 6'4" WR and a C.
    Posted by rameakap

When I think of a good front seven the names Love/Warren/Brace don't fit into that equation. Love is a guy that (although may look like Wilfork in stature), doesn't play like him. Whenever I watch this guy he gets turned, pushed back and tossed around...there's got to be something wrong with his technique. Brace is a guy I think we can officially say we can't count on and Warren will be another year older (this is a guy that barely made the team this year).

I think Deadrick is a guy that could stick and turn into something solid, although he did get suspended before the biggest game of the season last year.

This is a spot that I wished they addressed in the draft this year, because it was one of the best for defensive lineman in a while.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

I'll just play Rusty for a post if you'd like... None of those wr's will make a difference as long as our offense is based off the shot gun spread and we have a spoiled rotten cry baby QB dictating what our mindless puppet offensive coordinator does. Any RATIONAL human being can see this, why can't you? Because you are a MORON and IRRATIONAL!! Add in the fact that we already have one of the greatest weapons (that is not being used) in Ben Jarvis Green Ellis and any sane/rational person would see that we already are loaded...it's just that Brady is ruining it! Christ he's ruining everything - the housing market - stock market - oil prices...EVERYTHING!! You fools just fail to realize this! Thank god we have an outstanding defense or we'd be 3 and 7 right now. Ugh you people are idiots. 
    Posted by mthurl

smiling and laughing the whole paragraph. just dont continue the rusty impersonations too long. it'll  get old fast.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : When I think of a good front seven the names Love/Warren/Brace don't fit into that equation. Love is a guy that (although may look like Wilfork in stature), doesn't play like him. Whenever I watch this guy he gets turned, pushed back and tossed around...there's got to be something wrong with his technique. Brace is a guy I think we can officially say we can't count on and Warren will be another year older (this is a guy that barely made the team this year). I think Deadrick is a guy that could stick and turn into something solid, although he did get suspended before the biggest game of the season last year. This is a spot that I wished they addressed in the draft this year, because it was one of the best for defensive lineman in a while.
    Posted by mthurl

Well I just showed the stats of the D-lineman available with our second 1st rd pick last year and they are not exactly tearing it up. Muhammad and Corey Liuget have 3-4 DE size but are not doing much. Warren and Love have outplyaed them. Same w/ Jordan and Heyward who are 285lb 4-3 DE's. Anderson and Carter have far outplayed them.

Who would you have picked?

I would have traded both picks up for Watt.

Would you have passed on Solder for Clayborn or Phil Taylor? Then what picked Gabe Carimi or Sherrod later in rd 1 to take over for Light one day?

Taylor is a monster but would he and Vince be too big to pair together? Clayborn is a solid DE, the type I'd think we cna get this year in Still, worthy or Winn. Guys who could be better than Muhammad and Liuget.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Excellent post RK, You are right I didnt see Landry(my favorite safety) or Godfrey and i though those guys were locked up, if not, I would try to get Godfrey or Goldson. I really want Landry and feel he would inject a Harrison type potency to our defense and under B.B. would be great, but he is gonna command some change. I like the idea of bringing in a wiley vet like Wayne who can still abuse # 2 Cb's I als wouldnt mind us having Price outside and Branch on the other side for a couple years, but you still draft a stud WR to come in if/when branch gets hurt. I would think long and hard about Wes. If he doesnt take the team friendly deal, I would be tempted to grab a guy like E.Royal who fell off and would be cheap, but is still good,IMO. He had a great rookie year and then had no QB, but he a a quicker guy than Wes and a possible future piece.  I dont see them going the 50 mill/ V.Jack route yet. I would be all over Garcon, Manningham or Jerome Simpson. I think our biggest problem this year is our WR's are small and slow and aren big enough to beat the press. I agree getting a safety in free agency is better than drafting a guy who has to develop. Let Chung have a real safety next to him so he can flourish. You got any info on 4-3 DE prospects in the draft?
    Posted by JayShizzle45

jay and rame i am with you guys on filling our most important positions before the draft (you may have seen me saying as much the past 2 months on the draft thread), allowing us a lot of options. esp fs, wr, lb where we are weakest. imagine if we had our needs met, have the option of trading up if we wish, even more than once, to grab players that stand out (game changers) AND who would fit in our system. we could do some damage. there are a good # of game changers on offense and defense. and we do need a te (f.a. preferably or other)or another tackle as solder cannot be both at the same time.

i prefer spending the money on a big wr, who can get off the line, has speed for the deep route, reliable hands, precise routes over spending much for welker's services which are limited against better d's. team friendly deal, i'd consider.
    prefer that wr be a fa as we know what we will get much more adn only would have to go wr in draft if a player was way too good to pass up.
    branch. no. he pretty much is done in my eyes. cannot get open much even though he runs great routes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : Shen, i tend to agree a little as well w/ RK. All of those guys are younger than Wes. Faster and have height which I think we are lacking. Our tallest guy (ocho) goes 6 ft but doesnt get the ball. Wes inst as valuble to us going forward because his area is now occupied by Gronk and our 2 TE sets force Wes to play outside where guys like Revis can shut him down. I think this teams needs a big, physical guy who can beat the press(not Moss) , but a Andre Johnson type. Dont even have to go deep, just beat the press and get a 1st down. Branch and Wes are having issues w/this now
    Posted by JayShizzle45

i am of the same mind, but i disagree about "deep". has to be a deep threat regardless how often we go there, or defenses will still be able to shut down everything 20 yards and in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

mario williams only has 5 sacks, 11 tackles and the texans have switched to the 3-4 which he isn't suited for and probably don't want to pay him big bucks to keep. his stats have been gradually decreasing since 2007. he has pretty pedestrian numbers this year so far.  however i think this decline could be due to scheme. if we are staying in the 4-3 then he would be a great addition. he could probably be signed for 6-8 per year. cut ocho and we could afford him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Im sorry you didnt understand what I said.  Right now the future of this offense is the 2 tight ends. When we run a two tight end set, there is no slot reciever. In case you missed it, when there arent 2 tights on the field, then Yes, you can play Wes in the slot. My point was going forward the offense has shown that it is slowly morphing into a 2 TE set. So why would you pay a guy to play mostly outside when he is more effective inside.  Is Gronk or Wes the future here? I would say more Gronk. he is more valuble, just ask all of the d coordinators. I never said our tight ends play the slot, I said they are working the area that Wes used to. If Wes is doing the same thing he has all the time here how come he has much more catches pass the 5-10 yard range? Because he is playing more outside. Did you miss Wes getting shut out the whole game by Brandon Flowers outside and Arenas in the slot? He didnt get invlolved until late in the game, of course you didnt see it. You just see what u want I guess. This year Wes is running 7 routes(corner routes) post patterns, the usual out patterns,deep routes,  all this after 4 years of running drag routes, bubble screens and out patterns. You paying attention? If you have a DVR go back and tell me how we can run so many 2 tight end sets while still playing Wes in the slot.  Its not his every down spot. Only when Hernandez is out.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

jay some people watch football. some people WATCH football and really have an idea. so dont strain youself. ive run into the saem thing. some people are not going to read something here and tehn watch to  see it and then learn something. many will jsut attck you for their not understanding what you are saying. least thats my experience.
        and welker has been slowed and or shut down tremendously last several games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

think the organization needs some tweaks before they make any off-season moves.  Granted we are all spoiled as Pats fans by the success over the last 10 years.  However, Bob Kraft is a smart businessman and he should make sure that BB's plate is not overloaded and that he is surrounded by the best and the brightest.
    I think the Pats might be feeling the loss of Dimitroff more so than Pioli.  The scouting personnel should be reviewed NOW.  I want BB to have the final say on draft day, but I want better field reports reaching his desk.
    Sure, none of us are in the war room on draft day, but I have to assume that some of the players they've drafted have been way over-hyped due to poor scouting.

Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

damn youre saying the same thing ive been saying for quite a while.
    refreshing to see someone else see the same thing. thanks for the post.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : That's how you use the facts to prove someone opinions wrong... I thought it was obvious Wes was being used more outside and in sets often different than what we were used to seeing him in 07-10. If we are only going to need a slot receiver 10-30% of the game you'd think Woodhead, Branch and Edelman could have it covered. If we are going to use it 40-70 percent of the game then I advice us paying Wes the 5-7 million I think he is worth. However if some teams runs an offense that needs a slot WR 70-90 percent of the time and they think Welker can haul in 110-120 catches a year still for 3-4 ore years... then he is worth way more (8-10 million) to that team than he is to us.
    Posted by rameakap

to me wes is not worth much UNLESS WE GET A #1 OUTSIDE RECEIVER. THEN WES'S VALUE WILL GO UP. because he will  be one of the threats, along with an all purpose back who can make the d pay on breakaways, that will make even the best defenses struggle (dare i say impossible) be able to stop simultaneously.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

mario williams only has 5 sacks, 11 tackles and the texans have switched to the 3-4 which he isn't suited for and probably don't want to pay him big bucks to keep. his stats have been gradually decreasing since 2007. he has pretty pedestrian numbers this year so far.  however i think this decline could be due to scheme. if we are staying in the 4-3 then he would be a great addition. he could probably be signed for 6-8 per year. cut ocho and we could afford him.
    Posted by natesubs

Williams tore a pectoral muscle and is out for the season

When you looked up his 5 sacks and 11 tackles you didn't notice that was just in 5 games?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

"safety- LaRon Landry/Michael Griffin
    WR- eddie royal, welker, branch
    LB- mario williams, guyton, manny lawson
    DE- matt roth (this position will be filled mostly through the draft i believe)

i think we should spend the big money and go after mario williams assuming he isn't tagged.  if we resign carter and anderson and pick up a great pass rushing OLB our pass rush will be fixed.  mario williams would be worth the 6-7 mil per year. that money could be made by cutting ocho and the money that would have went to haynesworth. 

with manny lawson/matt roth/mario williams and mayo at OLB
    with carter/anderson/rookie (upshaw) at DE
    and wilfork/brace/love at DT
    spikes/mayo/fletcher/hightower? at ILB

our lines would be pretty good"

nate,
     glad to see what you ended up with at the bottom!
    i didnt agree with the top replace guyton and branch for me.

ps have you considered a plan for how we get hightower and upshaw, which ive suggested as well oon the draft thread. both imo will require a trade up i expect.  im willing to trade up twice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : Well I just showed the stats of the D-lineman available with our second 1st rd pick last year and they are not exactly tearing it up. Muhammad and Corey Liuget have 3-4 DE size but are not doing much. Warren and Love have outplyaed them. Same w/ Jordan and Heyward who are 285lb 4-3 DE's. Anderson and Carter have far outplayed them. Who would you have picked? I would have traded both picks up for Watt. Would you have passed on Solder for Clayborn or Phil Taylor? Then what picked Gabe Carimi or Sherrod later in rd 1 to take over for Light one day? Taylor is a monster but would he and Vince be too big to pair together? Clayborn is a solid DE, the type I'd think we cna get this year in Still, worthy or Winn. Guys who could be better than Muhammad and Liuget.
    Posted by rameakap

dude i love how in sync we are with the same plans, players, etc all the time.
    and that you say it. as i do.
    where you here last year. i dont remember anyone being as outspoken as me about this stuff last year

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : love the names but we don't have the cash for all those guys. Mario will be tagged, I am 99% sure of that... but he is a Peppers talent that will command 5-7 years 70-85 million if he wasn't. I think Goldson or Godfrey will be better with Chung than Landry, a gimpy SS who will cost more... but you still have to spend 3-5 million a year on one of them. Roth, Lawson and Royal will all cost in the 3-5 range as well. If we keep the guys we want to keep (Carter, Welker, BJGE, Arrington) we'd have the room to just get those 4 guys and call it an offseason as far as free agency.
    Posted by rameakap

im willing to part wiht benny unless hes real cheap. carter is the one of that bunch i'm sure to keep.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

If we went and drafted Hightower, Zach Brown or Te'o in rd 1 along with a big DE/DT type (Still, Worthy, Winn, Thompson) with those additions we'd have a pretty nasty front 7. In a 3-4:          Still (my fav DE/DT) - Wilfork - Love/Warren/Brace Ninkovich - Mayo/Guyton - Hightower(my fav LB)/Spikes - Lawson In a 4-3: Carter (Cunningham) - Wilfork/Warren - Still/Love/Brace - Anderson/Roth                Lawson/Nink  - Mayo/Spikes - Hightower/Guyton The addition of Goldon/Godfrey will make safety an area of strength. We then use a 2nd or 3rd rd pick on a CB and with Dowling coming back hopefully we have enough there. We also should use a 2nd and 3rd on a 6'4" WR and a C.
    Posted by rameakap

re"If we went and drafted Hightower, Zach Brown or Te'o in rd 1 along with a big DE/DT type (Still, Worthy, Winn, Thompson) with those additions we'd have a pretty nasty front 7."

rame,
     just out of curiosity did you pick those players after reading me talk about them on the draft thread (causing you to check em out) or were you on them already.. hadnt seen it on the draft thread or elsewhere. it doesnt matter im just curious. i hadnt seen you say yeah! when i posted them.

looks like zack and t'e o wil go pretty high at the. moment.
    do you care wich one, or would you reach up and get the last one before hes taken? and would you try to get upshaw too (which also may require trading up)  or are you satisfied with one linebacker and then going after the de/dl.

peace

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : dude i love how in sync we are with the same plans, players, etc all the time. and that you say it. as i do. where you here last year. i dont remember anyone being as outspoken as me about this stuff last year
    Posted by brdbreu

Yeah we def have the same kinda plan, good thinking on building through free agency and a front 7 that can switch seamlessly from 3-4 to 4-3.

Last year I posted here, although not as much as Celtics and Sox. I remember wanting us to leave the '11 draft with Watt and Ayers all winter. I saw them as Seymour and Roman Phifer/Roseie Colvin on this D.

Then when Watt's stock went way up and Light started to show his age I wanted us to take Kerrigan or Quinn (one of who I felt would be at 17) to be the new Vrabel or McGinest, and then best available OT, since there were 4-5 always mocked in the 20's, with the 2nd 1st rd pick.

I was devastated when we traded the 2nd 1st rd pick to an obv elite playoff team in NO, worried about Dowlings injury history and annoyed with the double running backs and 3rd string QB in the top 100. Cannon everyone liked.

If I was to do the draft over right on draft day, knowing who picked where... I'd have taken Clayborn, Carimi, Ayers, Daniel Thomas and moved up 5-6 spots to take Justin Houston.

That was when we were still thinking Ty Warren and Bodden would be solid.

and as previously discussed I'd have been all over Steve Smith... for a maybe our later 3rd last year and anywhere from a 2nd to 4th in 2012 depending on games played/receptions. No Ocho. Or just signed the other Steve Smith.

I actually liked the Haynesworth move... maybe b/c it was less risk/$ and after we drafted no pass-rushers I was beside myself on how to form a decent front 7 and the switch to a 4-3 eased my my confusion and dulled my anger, haha.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : re"If we went and drafted Hightower, Zach Brown or Te'o in rd 1 along with a big DE/DT type (Still, Worthy, Winn, Thompson) with those additions we'd have a pretty nasty front 7." rame,  just out of curiosity did you pick those players after reading me talk about them on the draft thread (causing you to check em out) or were you on them already.. hadnt seen it on the draft thread or elsewhere. it doesnt matter im just curious. i hadnt seen you say yeah! when i posted them. looks like zack and t'e o wil go pretty high at the. moment. do you care wich one, or would you reach up and get the last one before hes taken? and would you try to get upshaw too (which also may require trading up)  or are you satisfied with one linebacker and then going after the de/dl. peace
    Posted by brdbreu

I've just been all over LB's and DE/DT hybid types for years. I saw you were into those same names and hopefully the team listens this year. haha.

Every year I hope that, b/c there are a couple guys at the same position, one of them will slip to us.

Last year I felt we had a shot at one of Watt, Fairley and Clayborn as far as a lineman and one of Quinn and Kerrigan for OLB. Clayborn was the only one we coulda had w/o trading up, as it turns out.

This year I love Devon Still... obv the Penn State tragedy has made you tune into that team a little more and he is just a monster. He was mocked in the 26-36 range the last few weeks but is rising. Like Watt was last year he may be out of our reach come draft day.

You'd think one of Hightower, Brown or Te'o makes it to our 1st pick but who knows. They could all be gone. You look at those three and see guys who can play inside and outside in either a 3-4 or a 4-3. So valuable with us having no rush LB in a 4-3 and Spikes/Guyton being very solid backups with only 1-2 specific roles for 1-2 downs and no more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : Yeah we def have the same kinda plan, good thinking on building through free agency and a front 7 that can switch seamlessly from 3-4 to 4-3. Last year I posted here, although not as much as Celtics and Sox. I remember wanting us to leave the '11 draft with Watt and Ayers all winter. I saw them as Seymour and Roman Phifer/Roseie Colvin on this D. Then when Watt's stock went way up and Light started to show his age I wanted us to take Kerrigan or Quinn (one of who I felt would be at 17) to be the new Vrabel or McGinest, and then best available OT, since there were 4-5 always mocked in the 20's, with the 2nd 1st rd pick. I was devastated when we traded the 2nd 1st rd pick to an obv elite playoff team in NO, worried about Dowlings injury history and annoyed with the double running backs and 3rd string QB in the top 100. Cannon everyone liked. If I was to do the draft over right on draft day, knowing who picked where... I'd have taken Clayborn, Carimi, Ayers, Daniel Thomas and moved up 5-6 spots to take Justin Houston. That was when we were still thinking Ty Warren and Bodden would be solid. and as previously discussed I'd have been all over Steve Smith... for a maybe our later 3rd last year and anywhere from a 2nd to 4th in 2012 depending on games played/receptions. No Ocho. Or just signed the other Steve Smith. I actually liked the Haynesworth move... maybe b/c it was less risk/$ and after we drafted no pass-rushers I was beside myself on how to form a decent front 7 and the switch to a 4-3 eased my my confusion and dulled my anger, haha.
    Posted by rameakap

thanks for that post. you had to have seen me posting last year. like a 12 point lengthy overhaul of the teams problems on the eve of the playoff loss and numerous posts later, many or most in the draft thread, and also later posts regarding civility toward one another and self respect when some posters enjoyed attacking others more than talking about football.

i know didnt really appreciate the reflexive trading down, when we may have picked a few players that would put us in the super bowl. it appears we have that same shot again this year. hope bb doesnt blow it.

yeah i was on the steve smith move while bb was trying to get his buddy ocho

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : I've just been all over LB's and DE/DT hybid types for years. I saw you were into those same names and hopefully the team listens this year. haha. Every year I hope that, b/c there are a couple guys at the same position, one of them will slip to us. Last year I felt we had a shot at one of Watt, Fairley and Clayborn as far as a lineman and one of Quinn and Kerrigan for OLB. Clayborn was the only one we coulda had w/o trading up, as it turns out. This year I love Devon Still... obv the Penn State tragedy has made you tune into that team a little more and he is just a monster. He was mocked in the 26-36 range the last few weeks but is rising. Like Watt was last year he may be out of our reach come draft day. You'd think one of Hightower, Brown or Te'o makes it to our 1st pick but who knows. They could all be gone. You look at those three and see guys who can play inside and outside in either a 3-4 or a 4-3. So valuable with us having no rush LB in a 4-3 and Spikes/Guyton being very solid backups with only 1-2 specific roles for 1-2 downs and no more.
    Posted by rameakap

re"I've just been all over LB's and DE/DT hybid types for years. I saw you were into those same names and hopefully the team listens this year. haha."

agreed.

Every year I hope that, b/c there are a couple guys at the same position, one of them will slip to us.

or even if we have to go up. worth it to get teh 2 or 3 gamechangers we need to dominate the league

Last year I felt we had a shot at one of Watt, Fairley and Clayborn as far as a lineman and one of Quinn and Kerrigan for OLB. Clayborn was the only one we coulda had w/o trading up, as it turns out.

i was thinking the same thing, though idve been willing to go up.

This year I love Devon Still... obv the Penn State tragedy has made you tune into that team a little more and he is just a monster. He was mocked in the 26-36 range the last few weeks but is rising. Like Watt was last year he may be out of our reach come draft day.

You'd think one of Hightower, Brown or Te'o makes it to our 1st pick but who knows. They could all be gone. You look at those three and see guys who can play inside and outside in either a 3-4 or a 4-3. So valuable with us having no rush LB in a 4-3 and Spikes/Guyton being very solid backups with only 1-2 specific roles for 1-2 downs and no more.

i think the backers will probably be gone, one of the 3 dl's may be there by time our first pick comes.

fill the holes in fa.

trade up  for the players that will change our team

(on lb, dl, wr [wr if its a guy we gotta have, in general i prefer 3 front 7, 2lb and 1 dl/de ]) 

i'd trade up 2x if not 3 times (including using next years picks)

we dont need to get younger. we need to get better.
    get the 2 or 3 game changers.

do what were supposed to do with the best qb and the best coach
    win championships
    aT LEAST 2 more before they are gone.

we dont need 10-11 jags every year (slight exagg to make my point)
    "

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

• Sign Dwayne Bowe.
    • Sign a servicable FS.
    • Draft a stud LB (Mayo, Spikes, and *insert stud here* in the 4-3 would be nice.)
    • Trade Hoyer. We all saw what the Eagles got for the unproven Kolb. (And I would like to see him start somewhere. Really like him.)
    • Draft the best center we can in the first round.
    • Re-sign Welker.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Sign Dwayne Bowe. Sign a servicable FS. Draft a stud LB (Mayo, Spikes, and *insert stud here* in the 4-3 would be nice.) Trade Hoyer. We all saw what the Eagles got for the unproven Kolb. (And I would like to see him start somewhere. Really like him.) Draft the best center we can in the first round. Re-sign Welker.
    Posted by oh-my-beard

best center? anyone in the top 5  centers would be stud.
    mid round could grab someone and coach him up well enough
    you dont mention the dline. i think we need to add one there, 2 at linebacker.
    id like one of the better fs (top 3rd) in fa

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : Yeah we def have the same kinda plan, good thinking on building through free agency and a front 7 that can switch seamlessly from 3-4 to 4-3. Last year I posted here, although not as much as Celtics and Sox. I remember wanting us to leave the '11 draft with Watt and Ayers all winter. I saw them as Seymour and Roman Phifer/Roseie Colvin on this D. Then when Watt's stock went way up and Light started to show his age I wanted us to take Kerrigan or Quinn (one of who I felt would be at 17) to be the new Vrabel or McGinest, and then best available OT, since there were 4-5 always mocked in the 20's, with the 2nd 1st rd pick. I was devastated when we traded the 2nd 1st rd pick to an obv elite playoff team in NO, worried about Dowlings injury history and annoyed with the double running backs and 3rd string QB in the top 100. Cannon everyone liked. If I was to do the draft over right on draft day, knowing who picked where... I'd have taken Clayborn, Carimi, Ayers, Daniel Thomas and moved up 5-6 spots to take Justin Houston. That was when we were still thinking Ty Warren and Bodden would be solid. and as previously discussed I'd have been all over Steve Smith... for a maybe our later 3rd last year and anywhere from a 2nd to 4th in 2012 depending on games played/receptions. No Ocho. Or just signed the other Steve Smith. I actually liked the Haynesworth move... maybe b/c it was less risk/$ and after we drafted no pass-rushers I was beside myself on how to form a decent front 7 and the switch to a 4-3 eased my my confusion and dulled my anger, haha.
    Posted by rameakap

same thoughts here on draft day back in april...  i'd also like to see them build through free agency as much as possible before the draft too. brady's window is closing fast. another thing i'd like to see is for them to use their first round picks this year on known solid first round talented players without long injury history. not to trade out of the first round for a couple of 3rd rounders, its time to cash in now while they still have an elite qb. 2010 was a very good draft other than cunningham, last years draft only solder is showing anything yet. i think that cannon, vereen and ridley could all make it as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : best center? anyone in the top 5  centers would be stud. mid round could grab someone and coach him up well enough you dont mention the dline. i think we need to add one there, 2 at linebacker. id like one of the better fs (top 3rd) in fa
    Posted by brdbreu

Pressure up the middle has been a problem since Koppen went down. And notice I didn't say the best center in the draft, I said the best one we could get with one of our first rounders. DLine is coming along rather nicely I think. But sure add another edge rusher.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason..... : Pressure up the middle has been a problem since Koppen went down. And notice I didn't say the best center in the draft, I said the best one we could get with one of our first rounders. DLine is coming along rather nicely I think. But sure add another edge rusher.
    Posted by oh-my-beard

The point trying to be made was that there are 4-5 very good centers in this draft and you could pluck 3-4 of them in the 2nd rd and 1-2 could even make it to rd 3 or 4.

Sections
Shortcuts