If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....:
    Lack of effort at times is the only comparison between Bowe and Moss. Moss is a HOF WR, and probably top 5 WR of all time. He had at his peak, much better speed and hands than Bowe. with that, I wouldn't want either if them here next year. I bet we add a WR in FA, and maybe 1 via the draft depending on Price's progress, Ocho coming back.
    Posted by PatsLifer

I hope Taylor being cut doesnt mean they will draft another. We can get players in free agency and even some sleepers in their prime, but Please! No MORE WR's in the DRAFT!!!  I would rather take the best defensive player available. Our Wr's only end up playing Cb's.

So am I going to take the top rated CB and make him my WR. I'll then take the highest rated WR and make him my CB.

This next years draft wont be used for what we need. We now have to draft another CB as Devin is looking like the special teamer people spoke about early on and we still have no WR's outside of Branch and Wes who arent signed past this year.

Or we could draft 2 Tight ends and play a 4 TE set. 14 personnel??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Here's my opinion on what puts the Pats in the best postion. Get a DT first.  Wilfork is a man among jags out there.  He is playing so many snaps because Love, Warren, Deaderick, etc. are nothing more than serviceable rotational players.  You put pressure up the middle and then you can put a speed rusher on the outside and they will put pressure on the QB all game.  Look at GB, they lose Cullen Jenkins and now Clay Mathews is putting up Ninkovich numbers.  See it every year, some speed rusher gets behind two good DT's and wreaks havoc.  Speed rushers are cheap and easy.  There are a few dominant DE/OLB types like Ware, Suggs, Allen but they are hit or miss on drafting.  Ware and Allen were fourth round picks so nobody knows, and it's too risky to draft them high since most are busts.  BB has picked 3 DT's all 3 have been All-Pro's.  The odds of getting what you expect here are good. Get a good DT (or 3-4 DE), and this defense looks completely different. Safety-3rd pick DB's- these guys individually are good enough.  Problem is every week it's two different safeties and two different CB's.  Combine that with the lack of pressure from the line and you have a mess of inconsistency.  Get Dowling, Arrington, Mccourty, Chung, Nate Jones or whoever healthy, and add one more decent safety and they are fine. RB, develop what they have More than any 3rd WR, a RB can effect 30-40 snaps a game, by either running, catching or blocking.  A RB that can effectively catch and run between the tackles is a weapon you see on the field all game, not just 10 or 15 snaps like a WR.  I wouldn't draft one, they just need to develop what they have. WR, They need a guy that can effectively give Welker, Branch, or Hern a few plays off, not just come in for 10 snaps a game in 3WR sets.  Second pick in the draft should be this WR, and yes a speedster. You can pick what you want after that, but the reality is most guys in the 3rd round are probably going to be Jags, and after that most guys are going to be in and out of the NFL and practice squads so I wouldn't pin much hope in getting any shutdown corners, star receivers, or monster pass rushers after the 2nd round unless it's just dumb luck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I agree with everything Shen, expect that Ware was a 1st rounder...I think you made a mistake there.

Also i wouldnt touch another WR in the draft. What has N.E. done in the last 8 years drafting to make you believe THIS time they will hit on a WR.

I guess you can use a pick there, but I wouldnt. Only veteran free agents who have a shorter learning curve, and if its gonna be a guy like Ocho who is over 30 it better be a technician like R.Wayne or else try to stay with fairly young guys who are not against learning new tricks because coming here they'll have to be magicians....lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: If you were the Pats G.M. this offseason.....:
    I agree with everything Shen, expect that Ware was a 4th rounder...I think you made a mistake there. Also i wouldnt touch another WR in the draft. What has N.E. done in the last 8 years drafting to make you believe THIS time they will hit on a WR. I guess you can use a pick there, but I wouldnt. Only veteran free agents who have a shorter learning curve, and if its gonna be a guy like Ocho who is over 30 it better be a technician like R.Wayne or else try to stay with fairly young guys who are not against learning new tricks because coming here they'll have to be magicians....lol
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Yeah, a vet WR sounds good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I know I'm a bit late to the game but here's my idea on what should be done this off-season

Resigning:

Welker, BJGE, Waters, Carter, Hoyer, Branch (as a #3 WR), Connolly, Nin, Love

FA's to target:

CB - Cort Finnegan
    S - Dashon Goldson
    DE/OLB - Matt Roth
    LB D'Qwell Jackson (good coverage LB)

Players I want to draft:

DT - Devon Still
    DE/OLB - Vinny Curry or Melvin Ingram
    S - Robert Lester
    WR - Marvin McNutt
    OLB - Devin Taylor
    C - Ben Harben

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Thought I would bump this up seeing as this will be a main topic in the offseason and maybe this thread can serve as "playing G.M." thread.

I made his thread in November, but pretty much still feel the same way, except I put an even bigger need on getting a Safety in Free Agency with the hopes of getting Landry and him having a clean bill of health by August.

S, WR, TE, CB and to some extent D-lineman and L.Backer can all be fixed in free agency without breaking the bank.

Get your young D-lineman, Linebackers, O-Lineman, CB, and late round S, WR to groom for future.  Also could still grab a RB in 6th or 7th (Lagerret Blount was a 7th rounder I would love to have)

Wes is Franchised, but I would entertain trades.

Sign Wayne and Royal/Avery. Get your Big, Strong WR prospect/project on 2nd day.

If Wes goes, move Edleman back to offense and let him backup/teach Royal/Avery.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Jay, you might as well forget about Wayne. It's been reported and generally thought that he and Manning are a package deal. I mean who else will share a bed, stay up late, have pillow fits, and give each other match overs on road games?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Wow, is that so.  So Wayne only wants to go where Manning goes?

And how will that be possible?  I understand his line of thinking, but every individual has their own negotiating and I've never heard of a package deal signing, but how knows.

I hope not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It does happen on occasion but it is rare. However, given it's Manning and Manning already said he'll concede to an incentive laden contract he might make a proviso that he won't sign with a team (once he's released) unless they bring Wayne with him. This is a unique situation where you are talking about a top 10 all time QB. If say the Phins want Manning or Was wants Manning, I'm sure they can make room for Wayne too. The point is, if Wayne is set on going where Manning is do you really want to make him an offer then sit around the phone like a teenage girl hoping he calls back while he waits to see where Manning lands and if they want him too?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

ummm, I guess if you put it that way, no.

I just thought it would ideal but if anything else, that tells me that Wayne at his age doesnt want to learn a new offense and just wants to go somewhere he can just go to work immediately as Peyton will probably be allowed to impliment his style of playcalling and so forth.

If Manning goes and takes Wayne, do the Colts try hard to keep Garcon, or just start everything from new? If so, I would imagine a few vets wanting to leave and to that I say, lets try to trade for D.Clark! lol - Welker for Clark, straight up! 
    The Lethal 3 TE SET!!!  one WR  ...lol 

I just dont want to go into the season with the same group. I think Ocho can produce more, but I want a legit outside WR who runs ALL routes.

If not, you adress getting a burner to make space that allows you to keep playing short, horizontal ball.

Sections
Shortcuts