Ignorance is Bliss.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Ignorance is Bliss.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- On one of the first drills of New England Patriots training camp in 2010, coach Bill Belichick had the football placed at the 2-yard line. The message couldn't have been any clearer.

After a 2009 season in which red zone struggles were too prevalent -- too many field goals, not enough touchdowns -- getting better production in that area was going to be a primary point of emphasis over the course of the year.

The plan ultimately worked, the tone set on the first training camp practice.

Fast-forward to the present season, and the timing is right to highlight the 2012 version of the 2010 red zone story.

[+] EnlargeBolden/Brady
    AP Photo/Bill WippertBrandon Bolden was suspended Friday for PEDs, but he made things easy for Tom Brady on Sept. 30, rushing for 137 yards and this TD at Buffalo.

Welcome back, running game.

Thanks to you, other areas of the offense, such as play-action passing, open up.

If there was a game that reflected the Patriots' renewed commitment to the run, it was the Sept. 30 matchup against the Bills, when they rang up 247 yards on the ground. The Bills kept their small lineup on the field, daring the Patriots to run. The Patriots did, with remarkable success.

Would the Patriots of old have done the same thing?

"I think the coaches did a great job this offseason making that a point of emphasis for our offense, to make sure we get this running game going and stick with it. That's what [coordinator] Josh [McDaniels] has been doing," receiver Deion Branch said Friday.

"Overall, that was something we were lacking last year. The thing is, when something is working well, you stick with it. Even though we were throwing the ball all over the place [in 2011], as a team we still wanted to run the ball. We just took advantage of whatever the teams gave us.

"I think this year, more of a point of emphasis was to be a little more balanced than last year. I think our pass-run ratio was high pass, less run. I think if you want to be an effective team in November, December, January and February, you have to be more balanced. I think that's what is helping us out. As a receiver, we always want to catch the ball, but I think to be a complete team, you have to be able to run the ball."

The Patriots have 276 rushing attempts through eight games and 323 pass attempts.

Last year through eight games, it was 199 rushing attempts and 321 pass attempts.

In averaging 34.5 rushing attempts per game this season, the Patriots are easily outdistancing their average carries per game from the previous three seasons -- 27.4 in 2011, 28.4 in 2010 and 29.1 in 2009.

Interestingly, as noted by ESPN Stats & Information, quarterback Tom Brady's play-action passing stats are actually down from the past three years:

But this looks like a case in which stats don't tell the full story, as evidenced by the team's most recent game, a 45-7 rout of the St. Louis Rams.

The play-action game was lethal against the Rams, as Belichick detailed in his weekly film segment on the team's official website when he showed a 25-yard catch by tight end Rob Gronkowski and said, "It's almost impossible to get receivers open like this when you just drop back and throw."

Brady's final touchdown pass of the game, a 14-yarder to Gronkowski, also came on play-action. On the year, Brady has six touchdowns on play-action and no interceptions.

This all goes back to the offseason and the early days of training camp.

"The more Coach Belichick and Josh drive it into us in practice ... we'd be out there one day and spend all day running the ball," Branch said. "The message was that's what we're going to do."

The Patriots also had that previously mentioned defining moment Sept. 30 in Buffalo. After being disappointed with their rushing attack in the second and third weeks of the season, they broke out against the Bills. New England will look to build on that success this Sunday, when the Bills visit Foxborough.

"Each and every game is so different, but I think we've been pretty much balanced all season. There have been some games when we ran the ball a lot more than throwing it and were very successful," Branch said.

"Most defenses probably looked at our team in the past and said, 'This team is going to throw the ball.' So everybody is dropping and they're only rushing three or four guys.

"Now I don't think teams come to play us thinking it's all about throwing. We're a lot more balanced than we were in the past. That's a credit to the coaches and players, guys buying into us doing what we're supposed to do and sticking with the running game."

Response to the article.

Josh McDaniels and BB have "Committed to a running game" and it will make us a better team come Dec, Jan, and hopefully Feb. They started this commitment in training camp and the work has paid off. Defense's rushed 3-4 last year as well but we never "COMMITTED to running the ball" This year this balanced offense will lead to better efficiency and more points scored in the biggest games.!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Ignorance is Bliss.

Teams now know we will hurt them with the run and that we WILL run the ball. Makes play action deadly. I like this offense!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'm no coach but IMO we need to establish the run every game, even when teams are stopping it we have to keep with it because it will still open the pass and eventually the defense will wear down and the run will produce . 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm no coach but IMO we need to establish the run every game, even when teams are stopping it we have to keep with it because it will still open the pass and eventually the defense will wear down and the run will produce . 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Either you can run or you can't run.  If the run is successful you stick with it.  If the run isn't working you spread'em and throw.

You only establish a running game if its working that particular game.  32 rushes for 76 yards=loss.  32 rushes for 226 yards=win.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Regardless of how successful the run game is or isn't, you still run the ball, it keeps a defense honest. 

Antwoine Smith wasn't overly successful in his final season, but Weis kept him healthy by starting Faulk half the season and heaped the carries on him in the playoffs.  We won a ring that year with his 3.5 yards per carry in the regular season because play action matters...

The lack of talent at RB argument doesn't hold water, what, they had three years to find talent but weren't looking?

There's only one reporter for the Pat's; Mike Reiss, everyone else is a clown.

There's only one heir apparent to Weis; Josh Mac.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Either you can run or you can't run.  If the run is successful you stick with it.  If the run isn't working you spread'em and throw.

You only establish a running game if its working that particular game.  32 rushes for 76 yards=loss.  32 rushes for 226 yards=win.

[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you are not the O.C. What you just stated is the very reason Obrien was bad.

"Commitment" is what is important and BB and McD have shown they are committed to utilizing the run game.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You might have missed this quote from SB MVP Dieon Branch...

""I think the coaches did a great job this offseason making that a point of emphasis for our offense, to make sure we get this running game going and stick with it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The Pats have scored 12 rushing touchdowns this season. Compared to other relatively pass happy QB led offenses, GB with 2, Denver with 5 and NO with 4, what signal does that give to the opposing defense?  Figure it out because you have to decide, defend the pass or the run for the TD in the red zone.   The Pats are getting away from being one dimensional when it comes to how they score TDs.  A nice thing to have.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm begining to think it's time for another Ben Jarvus Green Ellis thread - we should of had one last week....17 carries...52 yards...3.3 ypc average. Ask Cincy how running this guy has helped their team. LMAO!! What's it been?Four loses in a row?

This will go on until the end of time. If Bill Belichick went to your houses and told you he didn't run it more because of Benny, you still wouldn't believe it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Bungles offense is pitiful, Andy Dalton is Tony Romo away from leading the NFL in picks thrown.

The obsession with Benny doesn't answer why Obie didn't use Ridely in the playoffs, Woody fumbled also and was back in on the next series.

It also doesn't answer to why, if Obie was so desperate to run the ball but just didn't have the talent, then how come he let Benny rush for 1000 yards and a 4.4 average the season before only to shut him down against the Jets for the 1st round playoff bounce?

Because he has little to no rhythm, I'd hate to see him dance...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Dieon Branch still plays football? 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm begining to think it's time for another Ben Jarvus Green Ellis thread - we should of had one last week....17 carries...52 yards...3.3 ypc average. Ask Cincy how running this guy has helped their team. LMAO!! What's it been?Four loses in a row?

This will go on until the end of time. If Bill Belichick went to your houses and told you he didn't run it more because of Benny, you still wouldn't believe it.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't think there is any question how much better Ridley is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Bungles offense is pitiful, Andy Dalton is Tony Romo away from leading the NFL in picks thrown.

The obsession with Benny doesn't answer why Obie didn't use Ridely in the playoffs, Woody fumbled also and was back in on the next series.

It also doesn't answer to why, if Obie was so desperate to run the ball but just didn't have the talent, then how come he let Benny rush for 1000 yards and a 4.4 average the season before only to shut him down against the Jets for the 1st round playoff bounce?

Because he has little to no rhythm, I'd hate to see him dance...

[/QUOTE]

A couple of things...

First off McDaniels was here during the playoffs for us last year. He used herm in this really unique way that everyone peed their pants over - like an H back. I say that with sarcasm because I think McDaniels, Weis, O'Brien...whoever, are only as good as the QB that ran the team. For all these guys it just happened to be Brady...aren't they lucky?

Second. Is it really a huge accomplishment when a runner gains a hair over a 1000 yards in a sixteen game schedule anymore? I mean, no one even knew who the guy was (which I think helped him an awful lot because there was no film on how to just wipe out what he was trying to do). Watch what happened to him from the first season he was starting, to the second. Those off tackle tosses were played differently - no more running behind Light for four yards - defenses just over pursued because they knew he could not cut back and take advantage of the absolutely HUGE hole that was there for this guy to cut back into. In Cincy an article was writen two weeks ago about how defenses just over play the middle of the line to stop this guy because they know he can't get outside. You have to block things perfectly for this guy to get yards now that everyone knows what is coming. I think of it like a rookie pitcher that has success at first until the hitters see that he only has one good pitch. Also I imagine playing with Brady helped him gain some of those yards seeing how no one was trying to stop Benny...yet he still struggled last year.

Every week this guy plays it is more and more obvious why we didn't run more last year. Belichick came out and said why he didn't run it more last year. He said if there was a guy worthy of giving the ball so many carries, he would of. Brady said play action and running only work when you CAN run the ball and that you just don't run it to run it. You run it when you are capable of running it. I mean these guys actually said this stuff for god's sake.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Yes, yes, yes, balance is good.  Don't know any one saying differently.

Buttttt...... you run at all cost people are soooooooooooo silly.

It's not the quantity, it's the quality.  Why is this so hard to understand?  There are also little nagging things like protection and playing from behind that determine when and when not to run.

Last year it was not effective, whether a performance issue or protection issue or playing from behind issue or a fumbling issue or an injury issue or rookie issue or coaching issue or a not trusting your defense issue,  it just wasn't great. That's alot of issues.

Sometimes it's not about getting 4.4 ypc, it's about needing 9 or 10 or 26.

Sometimes it's about going shotgun for max protection, more time for plays to develope and a higher yield per throw, all of which the SG affords.

Sometimes it's about using your best blocking and pass catching back in the up tempo/no huddle offense.

Saying you MUST not give up on the run and you Must have at least a 45/55 ratio is not realistic.   Every game is different.   What IS realistic is going with what's working.  If you can do both effectively then great!  If you can't, then you go with your strength or do whatever it takes to give you the best chance.

There is no ratio or magic potion formula to insure success.

Ridley me this:  What did the cards, hawks and ravens do when the Pats stout run D held Wells to 15 carries, Lynch to 14 carries and Rice to 20 carries?

Answer:  They threw for a gazillion yards and, oh ya, WON!

Pretty sure they weren't fretting about their run game... Ya think?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, yes, yes, balance is good.  Don't know any one saying differently.

Buttttt...... you run at all cost people are soooooooooooo silly.

It's not the quantity, it's the quality.  Why is this so hard to understand?  There are also little nagging things like protection and playing from behind that determine when and when not to run.

Last year it was not effective, whether a performance issue or protection issue or playing from behind issue or a fumbling issue or an injury issue or rookie issue or coaching issue or a not trusting your defense issue,  it just wasn't great. That's alot of issues.

Sometimes it's not about getting 4.4 ypc, it's about needing 9 or 10 or 26.

Sometimes it's about going shotgun for max protection, more time for plays to develope and a higher yield per throw, all of which the SG affords.

Sometimes it's about using your best blocking and pass catching back in the up tempo/no huddle offense.

Saying you MUST not give up on the run and you Must have at least a 45/55 ratio is not realistic.   Every game is different.   What IS realistic is going with what's working.  If you can do both effectively then great!  If you can't, then you go with your strength or do whatever it takes to give you the best chance.

There is no ratio or magic potion formula to insure success.

Ridley me this:  What did the cards, hawks and ravens do when the Pats stout run D held Wells to 15 carries, Lynch to 14 carries and Rice to 20 carries?

Answer:  They threw for a gazillion yards and, oh ya, WON!

Pretty sure they weren't fretting about their run game... Ya think?

[/QUOTE]

Simple, isn't it? Yet it is so confusing on here...it will go on for centuries.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Overall, that was something we were lacking last year. The thing is, when something is working well, you stick with it. Even though we were throwing the ball all over the place [in 2011], as a team we still wanted to run the ball. We just took advantage of whatever the teams gave us.

[/QUOTE]

Yep. We all agree if the run is working we should run the ball more. Same old thing many here have been saying all along.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LMAO

They'll never admit. They've had chance after chance after chance. We've seen scapegoats for Benny, Mankins, etc. Matt Light stunk, you name it.

In Week 1 and Week 2 of 2010's preseason vs Atlanta and NOs, you could see they were serious about it.

BB dealt Moss, to make sure we didn't revert back to 2009 and 2007, but then it reappeared in the posteason that January.

You and I know, some others as well, but unless we establish the run in basically eevry game this team plays, the likelihood of the offense doing well over 4 qtrs won't exist, unless agaisnt crappier Ds.

[/QUOTE]

"They" have admitted it all along junior. You run the ball more if it's effective. I haven't seen a single person here ever say otherwise.

Keep trying. Someday it will sink in.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The Pats best running play is the pooch screen to Wes. Brady is in shot gun, so the defense is expecting pass.  Pats Guards unusually good in pulling into open space down field. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And that right there is why Charlie Weis was brilliant as OC...bringing Brady along at a slower pace, not asking him to carry the entire team too soon.  Our play sction was deadly...

However, just to play devil's advocate for a second...I DO wonder how Weis would have called games if he knew he had an attrocious defense like we currently have now.  hmmmm

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And that right there is why Charlie Weis was brilliant as OC...bringing Brady along at a slower pace, not asking him to carry the entire team too soon.  Our play sction was deadly...

However, just to play devil's advocate for a second...I DO wonder how Weis would have called games if he knew he had an attrocious defense like we currently have now.  hmmmm

[/QUOTE]

Well, for starters that early 2000s offense wouldn't have won anything in the playoffs with this defense. I don' think they would have even gotten out of the first round.