I'm going to get slammed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

I'm going to get slammed

I know I am going to get slammed for writing this, but I have never been one to hide my head in the sand with "My team right or wrong".

Before I begin, let me say that it was BS call, especially in overtime.  The officials handed the game to the Jets.  We may still not have won, but that assured the loss.

Also, Gronk was simply not Gronk.  That one handed "almost catch" that would have been a TD, well why did he not even try to bring his left arm up to try to secure it but, instead, left it hanging at his side?

That said, let me get to what is sure to get me slammed.

I have loved what Brady had done all these years.  This year he has been, well, ordinary.  I know about the new class of receivers and I know about losing Welker and Hernandez, etc. etc.  However, I have been looking at his overthrows, his underthrows, his lack of scanning the field, and his interceptions.  Don't get me wrong.  He is still well into the upper half of the QBs in this league.  It is just that, well, he hasn't been a Brady (or a Peyton).  He has been inconsistent, at best.

I hope that with the return of Amendola, and Vereen, and Connally that he returns to form.  However, I think it may be time to seriously consider starting to groom his replacement, beginning with this years draft.  Flashes of billiance simply don't cut it.

OK, sling away at this person who has always put Brady and Peyton as 1-2 with a you pick the order.  I am just very frustrated with his performance.  I can no longer count on the Brady magic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Re: I'm going to get slammed

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

I know I am going to get slammed for writing this, but I have never been one to hide my head in the sand with "My team right or wrong".

Before I begin, let me say that it was BS call, especially in overtime.  The officials handed the game4 to the Jets.  We may still not have won, but that assured the loss.

Also, Gronk was simply not Gronk.  That one handed "almost catch" that would have been a TD, well why did he not even try to bring his left arm up to try to secure it but, instead, left it hanging at his side?

That said, let me get to what is sure to get me slammed.

I have loved what Brady had done all these years.  This year he has been, well, ordinary.  I know about the new class of receivers and I know about losing Welker and Hernandez, etc. etc.  However, I have been looking at his overthrows, his underthrows, his lack of scanning the field, and his interceptions.  Don't get me wrong.  He is still well into the upper half of the QBs in this league.  It is just that, well, he hasn't been a Brady (or a Peyton).  He has been inconsistent, at best.

I hope that with the return of Amendola, and Vereen, and Connally that he returns to form.  However, I think may be time to seriously consider starting to groom his replacement beginning with this years draft.  Flashes of billiance simply don't cut it.

OK, sling away at this person who has always put Brady and Peyton as 1-2 with you pick the order.  I am just very frustrated with his performance.  I can no longer count on the Brady magic.

I don't have a problem with that.  We all know that it is going to have to happen at some time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

I think TFB is going through an adjustment period. Too many changes and he is too much in his head and not seeing the same things as he use to....

1. New receivers

2. Lost his QB mentor

3. Changing cast of players

4. Poor line play

5. Poor play calling

I believe he works through it and comes out on top. That's what winners do after periods of adjustment. I think TFB is a winner and will work this out.

We do need a QB to start to learn, in 3 seasons at most it will be time for TFB to be replaced, maybe sooner if adjustments take too long

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

I don't thinks it's time as of yet. He is playing with half a deck on offense and now the defense has lost its top 3 players. You are just expecting a lot. Plus, we are 5-2. Denver is 6-1. Should they panic?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

SLGDEV, I concur with your post.  Brady has been inconsistent.  He overthrows, underthrows, makes poor decisions, gets fixated on a binky or two too many times (Gronk 17 times yesterday), has lost the ability to throw deep ball, etc., etc.  Yes, he has lost some weapons but that's no excuse for an "elite" QB.

Anyway, with all that said, this year's team will go as far as Brady can take it.  I believe he'll improve as will his supporting cast with the return on Talib, Kelly, Amendola, Vereen, et al.  My prediction for the year - 11-5 or 12-4. Then, who knows!

Red Sox 2013 ALCS Champion, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The brace on Gronks arm is also attached to the upper arm area as well as the forearm....gotta affect his range of movement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

I'm not going to be someone that is going to argue that Brady has been awesome so far this year.  Clearly he has not, nor do I expect that he would be playing now like he did 5-7 years ago.  He's got a lot of mileage on him now.

But before I really say it's all about his age and declining skills, I would like to see some stats on things (and note here, I am asking questions I do not have the answers to, nor have I researched them):

For the number of plays the Pats have run thus far, how do we stack up against past years in terms of overall plays, and the pass-to-run ratios?

At this point in the season, how do the Pats compare to other years in terms of how many times Brady has been sacked, hit or hurried?

There do seem to be a lot of "underthrows" by Brady, and I'm actually wondering if it's diminished skill, or if he is having trouble adjusting to his targets from "practice speed" to "game speed".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Yeah, last week Brady is having one of his best seasons leading his team to a TD win 5 seconds left in the game with a bunch of nobody receivers, this week he's terrible lets cut him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I hope we don't fail to understand how badly the Patriots Coaching staff has mismanaged games this year in terms of staff on the field, play calling and lack of adjustments.

I'm not saying it's all their fault...but they can't be let off the hook either.

We are young, we have injuries yes...but we must expect the Vets there and the Coaching staff to step up with their A games to help out.

This is an open season for who ever can connect all the dots...I hope it's the Pats that can do it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Nope, it's time. I hope I'm wrong, but he might have lost his "it".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

Yeah, last week Brady is having one of his best seasons leading his team to a TD win 5 seconds left in the game with a bunch of nobody receivers, this week he's terrible lets cut him.

The needless chuck and pick to Endlemen should have ended the game had not NO thought the game was over. Thomkins jumping up to make a really great catch pulled that game out. Sure Brady threw the ball but Thompkins was the man on that play....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

I asked this question in another thread and I'll ask it here...anybody else notice those shots of TB on the bench yesterday flexing his hand?  They focused on him several times during the game and at least three times it seemed that he was concerned about his hand.  Obviously, I have no clue if it means anything at all.  But, if he is having an issue that is effecting his grip on the ball, that could help to explain his inaccuracies.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Warned about brady for years.  He has been spoiled.

As for gronk, do not overanalyze. He was trying to tip a hard and wild pass to himself and corral.  He broke his right arm, not his left.

Of brady puts more air under with gronk behind the d, it is game over, 34-27 win.

Our d gets no help from him and the offense in second halves whem brady ignores the run with mcdaniels.  Why is brady not demanding to run more with bolden and ridley?  Gronk was targeted 17 times!  The next highest was I think edelman at 7.

Our d looks worse than it is and we choose to lose games by ignoring the run for an entire half. Another gifted win to the opponent with a tip of the cap to the refs.

This is the first year I have noticed ANYTHING with Brady other than being sensational.

As for the run bit, well they have an excellent run D.  We were great when on the opening drive he cam out slinging.  Why did they abandon that?  It was working, and you should stay with what works until they stop it.

I don't know which arm he broke, but he had a cast on his LEFT arm, not his right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4047318. Show user_4047318's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:

I think TFB is going through an adjustment period. Too many changes and he is too much in his head and not seeing the same things as he use to....

1. New receivers

2. Lost his QB mentor

3. Changing cast of players

4. Poor line play

5. Poor play calling

I believe he works through it and comes out on top. That's what winners do after periods of adjustment. I think TFB is a winner and will work this out.

We do need a QB to start to learn, in 3 seasons at most it will be time for TFB to be replaced, maybe sooner if adjustments take too long

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4047318. Show user_4047318's posts

Maybe Brady doesnt care as much anymore. He's 36, has a gorgeous wife, two kids and loads of money.  After two failed tries at a 4th Superbowl win, he may feel that it's no longer in the cards...particularly after the losses on both offense and defense.  He's no longer  obsessed and willing to lay himself out to win. It's natural.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

...another AH, blind homer, comment.  Obviously you can't read either because i said none of those things. 

Anyway, let's talk about those 5 seconds.  He was brilliant there, but he was lucky to even be in that situation.  When he had the opportunity on the PREVIOUS, what was to be the final, drive, what he do?  He threw a ridiculous interception.  We all thought "game over".  If NO had better clock management, he never would have had the opportunity.

The point is that flashes of the old Brady Brilliance is just not enough.  We need to able to feel that there is always a chance that he will pull it out.  That feeling simply is not there 100% any more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Brady's fine.

His wide receivers are garbage.

He can't throw and catch the ball himself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

As for gronk, do not overanalyze. He was trying to tip a hard and wild pass to himself and corral.  He broke his right arm, not his left.

Of brady puts more air under with gronk behind the d, it is game over, 34-27 win.

Our d gets no help from him and the offense in second halves whem brady ignores the run with mcdaniels.  Why is brady not demanding to run more with bolden and ridley?  Gronk was targeted 17 times!  The next highest was I think edelman at 7.

Our d looks worse than it is and we choose to lose games by ignoring the run for an entire half. Another gifted win to the opponent with a tip of the cap to the refs.

sorry man, your defense gave up a ton of points to a rookie qb with no WRs or TEs...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Brady did not have a good game yesterday - period.  That may mean that he's slipping but I doubt it.  As others have pointed out, he's dealing with a bunch of new receivers.  Let's see where the team is in December.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to WeDerrWEDAT's comment:

sorry man, your defense gave up a ton of points to a rookie qb with no WRs or TEs...

huh? the D gave up 23 in like 46 min on the field and generated 7. Take away the bogus 3 and that is a 13 point differential...in 46 min.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Brady is on the downslide - think about it he is in his 13th 16 game season, add to that 20 playoff games. Thats equal to almost 15 seasons of NFL football. A point where all the NFL HOF QBs are retired.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

I think the Saints comback winning drive shows Brady still has it.  Had that crazy call yesterday not happened on the game winning FG Brady once again would have made a game winning drive. 

The O line is not playing well and the horrible receivers are a problem too.  Sure Brady is older and his physical skills are not what they used to be.  But look at Denver and Manning. At least he has some help.  At least they have given him some receivers to throw to.  At least they didn't take Manning out to deep water and just push him out of the boat and left.  They gave him a raft, a life vest, some food and water and a fishing pole.  See what I am saying here?  They gave him the tools to succed.  Billy gave Brady nothing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

I asked this question in another thread and I'll ask it here...anybody else notice those shots of TB on the bench yesterday flexing his hand?  They focused on him several times during the game and at least three times it seemed that he was concerned about his hand.  Obviously, I have no clue if it means anything at all.  But, if he is having an issue that is effecting his grip on the ball, that could help to explain his inaccuracies.

I noticed it as well.  I fully expected him to put that spray he used in our first meeting on his hand but maybe he only used that spray in the rain.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Old age gets us all in the end....  It will be a slow slide for a guy that has as much intensity and desire and competitiveness...   but it will come and sh1!t its painful to watch.

Reality says there will be bad games .  Brady had them in 2004 too (in his prime) but tha was once in a while as opposed to every third game or worse.   Its a brutally difficult position to play...  Sam Bradford the latest to go down with an acl.

That said . this isn't the end.  80%  of Brady is still good enough to get it done and win games.  Pats almost won this one.  But Brady played it safe in OT and didn't force balls into coverage. 

This is the other part of old age .  less risk.  more conservative.  Avoid mistakes.  Learn from past mistakes.  Add that up and you see incompletions where a riskier throw may have been caught.  Its a battle every play.

I can relate since you can use golf as a metaphor, at least for the skill and mental side of it.  It slips away.  

But its a slow process and like my super hot GF Heidi from 1987 said ... "you gotta fight it every step of the way...."   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

You said it, pal.  The life and times of a Pats fan. 

Sections
Shortcuts