I'm no doc. but could Gronk's career be in jeopardy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

I'm no doc. but could Gronk's career be in jeopardy?

Anyone know someone who has a break in the same spot shortly after not to have some serious issues afterwards?  Is it likely for him to fully recover vs not? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: I'm no doc. but could Gronk's career be in jeopardy?

I know the break was in his forearm. Anyone know precisely where?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

well, i don't think any of us can play doctor but he should get back to 100%. The bone simply has to heal. The thing with this injury will be to redevelope the full confidence of using the arm. Gronk is a bit reckless on the field and only knows how to play one way. I predict he will be back in a HUGE way next year. The important thing for him will be to put together a full healthy season and playoff run.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I don't get it. Are his bones made of plaster of paris? LOL... Seriously though, the way he landed didn't look that bad. He's landed like that a thousand times in his life. After 8 weeks, it's hard to believe that the bone was still that fragile. It could be he broke it in a different place. Remember in 1997 when Jerry Rice tore up his knee and they said he'd be out a whole year? He healed up, and came back in December for a Monday night game against Denver. He was just fine, no problem with the ligament, but while sliding to catch a touchdown pass he landed on his knee and fractured the knee cap. Same knee, but a new injury completely unrelated to the first one. Niners won that game, but that was the last game Denver lost that year. Went on to win the SB against GB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

I don't get it. Are his bones made of plaster of paris? LOL... Seriously though, the way he landed didn't look that bad. He's landed like that a thousand times in his life. After 8 weeks, it's hard to believe that the bone was still that fragile. It could be he broke it in a different place. Remember in 1997 when Jerry Rice tore up his knee and they said he'd be out a whole year? He healed up, and came back in December for a Monday night game against Denver. He was just fine, no problem with the ligament, but while sliding to catch a touchdown pass he landed on his knee and fractured the knee cap. Same knee, but a new injury completely unrelated to the first one. Niners won that game, but that was the last game Denver lost that year. Went on to win the SB against GB.

Well, take a look at that play again. It was the worst kind of landing with all of Gronk's weight and momentum right on the arm. Probably not the smartest diving play by him either considering.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

Did you see the ESPN60 on Gronk, drinks plenty of milk. He's young, bones will heal. Gronk 2014 Superbowl MVP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to jam757's comment:

Well, take a look at that play again. It was the worst kind of landing with all of Gronk's weight and momentum right on the arm. Probably not the smartest diving play by him either considering.

I thought that too. If he was that unsure of his arm, why land on it with all your weight? Just take a tumble to the ground like you have a thousand times and go on. But then, you have to think that if it was fragile enough to break on a landing like that, it would have broken the first time some big LB laid a hit on him. He just wasn't ready to be out there, I can't explain why after 8 weeks and getting a doctor's clearance, but obviously there was a problem with the arm.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I think he'll heal up fine, but it does give me a bit of pause that he's largely been unable to finish out the last two seasons.

As for the break...it looks like he initially landed full force on that wrist, which then put a ton of pressure/torque on that forearm...which snapped again.  It didn't look as bad to me, but again...it was already in a brittle state.  4-6 weeks is the time required for it to initially heal and be usable again...but that doesn't say anything to really letting the bone knit fully.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to jam757's comment:

I thought that too. If he was that unsure of his arm, why land on it with all your weight? Just take a tumble to the ground like you have a thousand times and go on. But then, you have to think that if it was fragile enough to break on a landing like that, it would have broken the first time some big LB laid a hit on him. He just wasn't ready to be out there, I can't explain why after 8 weeks and getting a doctor's clearance, but obviously there was a problem with the arm.

Too late now and a damn shame. I can't believe this stupid injury happened on an extra point leading 58-24. Sigh. Time to move on. At least Hooi is a more capeable back up than what we had last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Gronk, should NEVER NEVER have been on that field yesterday - that arm was not sufficiently healed.  In all probability, he should have not played, or tried to play, until next year.  He is as reckless as they come and that STUPID doctor and SELFISH coaching staff knew that! 

What happened to the "Patriot's Way..." whereby no single player is that important - it is the team that's important!  Seems like it was the Redskin's way and not the Patriots way...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to PATSthebest's comment:

Did you see the ESPN60 on Gronk, drinks plenty of milk. He's young, bones will heal. Gronk 2014 Superbowl MVP.

I hope you are right.  That is a very optimistic way of thinking.  No one knows how healthy Gronk will be next season.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to LeeOn's comment:

Bb was running up the score when Gronk hurt his arm the 1st time and now he's out for the next game. Gronk ws unprepared or took the play off and got himself hurt.

To his defense he was probably as surprised as everybody else that he was even going out there for the kick.....how many points are enough points?

Was it worth it BB??Just another reason why I dislike BB so much.

Here come the vulture trolls.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

In ypur own words, U r not a doctor. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Have no idea what Gronks injury is "exactly". None of us on here do.

If however, you are asking a very simplistic question of is it a big deal to rebreak a bone in the same spot because you did not give it enough time to heal properly. That answer is no not likely as I have done it myself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If he fractured the Ulna (same side of the forearm as the small finger) which is what I suspect, and if surgery is involved that generally takes 12 weeks or longer to heal.  That would mean it was not completely healed hence the cast he was wearing.  Given the way he came down on that, I'm not surprised it requires more surgery.

Oh, I know they take that long to heal because I fractured the Ulna in my left forearm in an auto accident last August and mine was surgically repaired.  Full disclosure:  I'm not Gronk, not a professional athlete, not 23 (almost 24) years old and have no direct knowledge of the Gronk injury.

I'm sure he'll be ready for next year but the way he plays I won't be at all surprised if he gets hurt again.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to LeeOn's comment:

Bb was running up the score when Gronk hurt his arm the 1st time and now he's out for the next game. Gronk ws unprepared or took the play off and got himself hurt.

To his defense he was probably as surprised as everybody else that he was even going out there for the kick.....how many points are enough points?

Was it worth it BB??Just another reason why I dislike BB so much.

U mad bro? lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

after watching him play one armed when he came back from injury, and then yesterdays quick exit, it is obvious Gronk was NOT HEALED...no way does he break that arm if it were healed...somebody has some splainning to do on the med side

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i made some detailed posts about this yesterday in a gronk thread. bones are living things. they repond to what we do, like muscles. even with weight bearing usage, which normall causes thickening, poor nutrition greatly impact the quality and density. i posed a question about his nutrition over the last few years at least.

and re the break, given the pain he was in even last week and the  way he carried it, seems like it was a complicated break and not fully healed. ie may have shattered teh bone with the initial injury. and that be why it was taking so long to heal.

with time, nutriton and exercise bone will  normally restore as strong as or stronger than before a break. in compliocated breaks drs will often insert, screws, rods or plates. sometimes in these cases drs recommend they stay in forever. in my expoerience this can be ;ess than ideal for health.

long and short, while it may take an extended period, i summize that gronks arm will eventually be full go and ready for contact. now his mind may take longer to adjust to being ok with it getting hit than the arm will. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

I hope you are right.  That is a very optimistic way of thinking.  No one knows how healthy Gronk will be next season.  

milk depletes calcium form bones not build it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Source?  I've read studies that argue that drinking lots of milk really isn't that beneficial over moderate consumption and could have other negative side effects (as from anything you overdo), but I have never heard this claim before.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

Not at all consistent with what the National Institutes of Health or the Harvard School of Public Health say but what do they know, anyway?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Source?  I've read studies that argue that drinking lots of milk really isn't that beneficial over moderate consumption and could have other negative side effects (as from anything you overdo), but I have never heard this claim before.

There you go again - asking him to back up what he posts.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts